- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Hey guys...guess what?!?
Some, of you, already figured it out but...the last chapter was my April Fool's!!!
*snickers* I was cracking up, all day, yesterday, with your reviews!
So, now that I am done with the cruel little joke...here is the REAL chapter!
March 2, 2006

Dear Journal –

You wouldn’t believe what I saw today! I was just flipping through channels and stumbled across an old re-run, on VH1. I think it was MTV Diary, or whatever, but it showed the group, back in like ’98, or something. Man we looked young! It got me thinking about the old days.

Things were so different, back then. Nick was a lot more carefree. He was so innocently naïve about things, but it really just added to his unique charm. We used to play ball, darn near, every day, no matter where we were. The two, of us, were inseparable and we both liked it that way. Things between us have changed, so much, over the years.

AJ…well…what hasn’t changed about him? Ha Ha! I miss the old days, especially with him, because he has changed so much more than the rest, of us. What…with the alcohol and drugs…the partying…rehab… That man has had to battle many inner demons, and it has changed him a lot. Now, I’m not saying that he’s not still a good guy, because he is. I’m proud, of him, for working, so hard, at straightening his life out, but I still can’t help but miss his light hearted, goofiness that was so strong, back in the day.

Now that I think about it, maybe AJ isn’t the one that has changed the most…Kevin has changed drastically, here in the past couple years. I still haven’t figured out what’s going on, with him. Sometimes it just feels like he’s trying to keep control, of everything. It would make sense, I guess, being the oldest, in the group, he always had to play the upper hand. Nick, and I, always used to make it pretty difficult, for him to keep control.

Leighanne was talking with Kristin last week, and I guess Kevin has actually been put on anxiety medication. I’m not sure how or why this all came about, but maybe it will help. Could his attitude be stemming from stress and anxiety? Is it possible that he really just has control issues, and feels like he needs to keep being the ‘father’ of the group? Leighanne told me about the entire conversation, and according to Kristin, Kevin thinks he’s helping. I couldn’t help but roll my eyes, at that one. Helping? I mean honestly!

Anyways…back to what I was talking about, before I got on my Kevin bunny trail.

On the other end, of the spectrum…I’d say Howie has probably changed the least. He’s still just good ol’ Howie. Quiet. Down to Earth. The peacemaker. The voice of reason. Sure, some things, about him, have changed…that’s inevitable, but overall, he hasn’t changed as much as the rest, of us.

Basically, sitting, and watching that show, just made me miss the old days. Now, I wouldn’t trade my family, for anything, but it would be nice to go back, to that time, just for a while. Ok, now I’m sounding crazy. Ha Ha! I guess I’ll just take my memories, and head to bed. I’ll write more later. Hmmm…maybe I’ll find another re-run on, tomorrow! You know…Howie has all those home videos…perhaps I’ll pay him a visit. You know, it’s pretty funny to watch all his videos…there are things, on those, that you would never find, on any of the videos you can buy.

Here I am rambling again. It’s a good thing this journal has plenty of pages, in it! Ok, but seriously…I’m going to bed now! Good-night!

-Brian T. Littrell


Letting out a long sigh, I closed the journal and put it safely, in my bag. My head fell back, on the pillow, as I wondered what those old days were like. I am sure they were a far cry from the bickering that I could hear, coming from downstairs. Although I couldn’t make out the words that were being said, I knew who the voices belonged to…Kevin…and Nick. What could they, possibly, be arguing about, now? Would it ever end? A loud knock, on the door, startled me. My head quickly turned, to look at the door.

“Yeah?” I groaned, sitting up, not sure if I really wanted to know, who it was or what they wanted.

“Get up.” Nick appeared, in the doorway, as the door swung open. “We have to do…chores.” If I’m not mistaking, Nick scrunched his nose, in disgust. Interesting. Nick was always ready to bark out chores, for me, but now he’s dreading the idea of participating in chores.

“Chores?” I lifted a brow, in slight amusement.

“Yes. Chores. And not the ones that you’re thinking of. I wouldn’t wear any of your nice clothes, if I were you.” His shoulders slumped, a bit, looking defeated. What did he mean “not the ones I’m thinking of’? Chores are chores. Right?

“Ok.” I sighed, lifting myself off the bed. I watched Nick close the door, and set to getting dressed. Sifting through my clothes, I searched for anything that wasn’t considered nice. I didn’t have much luck, so I just threw on my least favorite shirt that I brought, and a pair of plain jeans. Situating a baseball cap, over my curls, I headed out the door and downstairs. Little did I know, I was, soon, in for a rude awakening.

“Everyone ready?” Kevin’s voice was dripping, with irritation, as he stood with his arms crossed.

“Let’s just get this shit done.” AJ huffed, his jaw tightened, as he rolled his eyes. I looked around, seeing that everyone was in a bad mood, except me and Mason. I was guessing that the reason was because me and Mason were the only ones who didn’t know what was going on.

“Agreed.” Nick’s eyes were narrowed, as everyone started toward the door. Once outside, Kevin led us down, to the barn. Before I knew what was going on, Nick and I were, each, handed a pail of nasty looking mushy stuff. What was I supposed to do with…

“Once you’re done slopping the pigs, shovel their pen, and then meet back here.” Kevin instructed, pointing to the smaller barn. Wait…hold on…did he say slopping pigs? I scrunched my nose, looking down at the pail. So that’s what this was supposed to…eeeeeew!

“Come on Bay, let’s get this done.” Nick groaned, heading toward the other barn. Now I understood why Nick was irritated, about the chores. This was way worse than doing dishes! I covered my nose, as we walked into the barn.

“Aw, nasty!” I lifted the top of my shirt, over my nose. The smell was enough to make anyone gag! How could people do this every day? Oh crap! Please…someone tell me that this isn’t going to be a daily thing, while we’re here.

“Just dump the slop into that troth, over there.” Nick pointed to a metal thing, in the corner, before walking to an identical one, in the opposite corner. The sloshing sound, of the slop pouring into the troth, gagged me just as bad as the smell. It didn’t help matters, that it was hot and stuffy, in the barn. “Set the pail over there, and…grab a…shovel.” His brows scrunched, his lips twisted into a look of pure disgust.

“What are we doing with the shovels?” I got the disturbing answer, when I saw Nick bend over and scoop up a pile of pig crap. Nick’s face was contorted, as he walked over, and dumped the pile into a tractor’s trailer. He had to be kidding! Baylee Littrell does not scoop poop!

“Don’t just stand there.” Nick gave me that look…that look, which tells me that if I don’t do as I’m told, I will regret it. Letting out a loud sigh, I scrunched up my nose, again, and began to shovel. This sucks!

“Whose brilliant idea, was this?” I asked, trying not to breath, very deep. How could people stand doing this, all the time? I couldn’t even imagine getting used to the smell.

“Kevin’s.” Letting out a huff, he began to shovel, with more aggression. A small smirk came over my lips; now I knew what all the bickering had been about. Kevin said we needed to do chores, and Nick was trying to get out, of it.

The next half hour dragged on, seeming to last forever. There wasn’t much said, as we continued our nasty assignment. Nick shoveled like a mad man, and I tried to keep up, with his pace. I’m sure this task could take well over an hour, but we were determined to get this done, and over with.

Dreadfully making our way, back to the group, we carried our empty pails. I was not looking forward to more chores, but something told me we weren’t done, yet. My suspicions were confirmed, when Kevin sent me, and Mason off, to check the fences.

It was news, to me, that you had to check the fences every week, to make sure they were in good shape. The fence bordered the corn fields, and was meant to detour large animals from eating the crops. Luckily, though, Kevin didn’t make us walk. He allowed us to take one of the ATVs, since it was a large area, to cover. Mason hopped on, behind me, and we set off, to make sure that none of the fence needed fixing.

Mind you, we weren’t allowed to leave, before a very long lecture. We were instructed to stay inside the fence…not to go too fast…blah blah blah. Nick, and Kevin, continued to blab on, about what we could, and could not, do. I had tuned them out after the first two points…I just kept nodding and saying “ok” or “we will”.

Mason and I headed off, taking our time, to check out the fence. We were goofing around and telling jokes, as we rode along. I was enjoying the break, from all the tension and bickering. I’m sure we could have done the parameter in an hour, but we just took our time, not wanting to go back. We just needed some time, you know? Can you blame us? All the fighting was getting on our nerves!

We were on the back forty, checking out the far side, of the fence, when I saw it. Stopping the ATV, I hopped off and climbed over the fence. Slowly, I made my way down the embankment, toward the half hidden treasure. After slight resistance, Mason followed me.

“What kind is it?”

“Mason…this…is a…” I looked over it, closely, to make sure I had it right. I hate it when I get proven wrong…it makes me look like a moron. “…if I am correct….it’s a 1956 Ford Thunderbird.” Man, was it a beauty, too…well at least it was, in my mind. I could imagine it, in its prime…polished chrome, clear windows, shiny finish, flawless leather seats…oh yeah…what a classic! I could see myself driving this baby!

I brushed my fingers over the chipped, soft lime green paint, looking over the rust that scared its exterior. The front end was badly damaged; it had obviously been in a crash. By the looks of it, the frame was, probably, bent…that must be the reason that it was, now, sitting in the woods, covered with overgrown weeds, and fallen leaves.

I couldn’t stop myself, from wondering what it would be like, to restore the car. Picturing it, in my mind, I could see myself driving it, to school; with it all spiffed back up. Oh yeah…I bet the chicks would love that!

Mason, and I, tugged on the doors, making them creak open. A smile crossed my lips, as I slipped behind the steering wheel. Running my hands over the wheel, I daydreamed, about actually driving it. Oh man, I could practically hear it purr!

“Baylee…Thomas…Wylee…Littrell!!!” Nick’s voice pierced me, and I swallowed the large lump that had settled, in my throat. This was not good…not good, at all.

“Oh uh…hey Nick!” I gave him a lopsided grin. I knew I was in big trouble, when Kevin appeared behind Nick. Ok…so we broke their rule and went outside of the fence, but it wasn’t by far. Surely, they wouldn’t be that mad, right?

“What…do you think you’re doing? You were supposed to be checking the fence, and were specifically told to stay inside the fence line!” Nick lifted a brow, staring me down, and waiting for an answer.

“Nick…look at this car! It’s sweet! I just had to come take a look…no big deal.” I shrugged my shoulders, climbing out of the car. Mason did the same, and we started up the embankment, to face our authorities.

“Rules are made for a reason, young man, and you know that I expect you, to follow them.” I was now face to face, with Nick. His brows were scrunched and it was obvious that he was not happy.

“Why are you always so uptight? If my dad were here…”

“Well he isn’t…now is he?” Kevin’s voice spoke, for the first time, since they got there, and cut me off. I stood there; jaw dropped, and mouth open.

“I can handle this, Kevin…thanks.” Nick tilted his head and looked, at Kevin, annoyance in his voice. In return, Kevin crossed his arms and stared back.

“Obviously not, Nickolas,” he mumbled. I saw Nick’s jaw tighten, and his lips purse. Everything, in me, wanted to scream ‘Everybody ruuuuuuun…shit’s gonna blooooooooow!’. I knew better than to actually say anything, so I just shoved past them and got on the ATV. I figured Mason could ride back, with one of them, since they both rode one, out to where we were.

“Baylee Littrell…don’t you dare…” The stern look, on his face, told me that he was not playing around. But guess what? I just made it worse.

“You’re not my father!” Scowling, at them, I tore off, toward the house, kicking up dirt as I went. I already knew that I had just done some serious damage, and I was liable to be grounded, for a very long time. Parking the ATV, in the barn, I stormed toward the house. I could hear Nick, and Kevin, coming, as I slammed the front door and ran upstairs.

“Baylee?” I met AJ, at the top, of the stairs. He looked, at me, with concern, in his eyes. Moving right past him, I’m sure he knew something was up. I made no hesitation, entering my room, slamming the door, and locking it. Throwing myself, on the bed, I thought over what just happened. Nick, and I, haven’t fought in a while, but this one looked like it was going to make up, for lost time.