- Text Size +
Okay since, I am guessing, that the only people reading this are Backstreet fans, I must explain to you something about Howie. First of all COME ON PEOPLE, his best friend is AJ! Why, in the halibut, do all of you think he is Mr. Goody Two Shoes? Seriously…do you think he would be joined to AJ at the hip if he was a saintly as you all make him out to be? You guys all know that AJ is a stage personality and Alex is the real guy…well, Howie is like that too, except he didn’t name his alter ego like AJ did. Howie isn’t quite as weird as AJ. Anyways, Howie is NOT, at all, what you fans think he is. So, whatever you think about Howie…forget it because it is probably not even close! Now that I have explained that, I can tell you what happened after we all went to bed.

“Psssssssssssst, BayBay? Psst.”

“Hmmm?” I groaned as I rolled over in my bed to see Howie’s head poked inside my bedroom door.

“Get dressed and let’s blow this joint,” he whispered. Smiling to myself, I hurried out of bed and threw on a pair of baggy jeans with a t-shirt. I quietly made my way down the stairs to find him and AJ waiting for me.

“‘Bout time, BayBay! Let’s roll,” AJ said as he pulled the keys from his pocket.

“Where are we going?” I asked as we walked out of the house.

“Out on the town, Little B,” AJ snickered, “we left Nickerbocker a note in case he wakes up, but since a hurricane could blow through without waking him, I think we’ll be safe.”

“Hold on just one second. You all freak out on me because I sneak out to a party but yet you two drag me out at 2 am to wreak havoc on the town? Is it just me or does that make no sense? We did just snuck out so what is the difference? Someone’s got some explaining to do because I am lost, here.”

“See, right now, you are under adult supervision,” AJ smiled.

“Yeah, you know that I am the responsible one,” Howie winked at me.

“Oh, my bad, they must have changed the definition of responsible.”

“Bite me!”

“Where? Mark the spot.” I challenged him.

“My ass,” Howie countered.

“Sorry, you’ll have to mark it with a red ‘x’ because you, my friend, are all ass!”

“Holy shit, Howie…you got BURNED!” AJ tossed his head back laughing loudly. Clearing his throat he tried to regain composer, “you shouldn’t swear BayBay.” His voice was cracking and his face was beet red as he tried to contain his laughter.

“I didn’t find that very amusing.”

“That’s only because old people are lame.”

“You better watch it, BayBay because old people don’t go down to the asylum in the middle of the night. If I am old we better turn the car around.”

“I was referring to AJ.”

“Um, and who’s the one driving? You shouldn’t insult the driver, you know.”

“No, see, it’s this OTHER AJ that I know.”

“Yeah whatever,” AJ rolled his eyes as he pulled into the deserted parking lot. We were at the old insane asylum. It had been shut down back in the 1980’s and was completely abandoned. The three of us had been here a few times before. I don’t know how much you know about the old asylums, but they were like their own little cities, within themselves. There are all sorts of tunnels underground that lead to each building and there are a lot of things just lying around in the tunnels and the rooms.

“They should be out good tonight,” Howie noted as he looked around at the familiar area. We walked up toward Building 50, with flashlights in our hands.

“I just hope I don’t get beat up, like last time,” AJ responded as we scoped out the surroundings. Cops were known to surveillance the area because of break ins…which is EXACTLY what we would be doing. Well, we don’t have to ‘break in’ because so many people do it that you just have to know where to go, to get in.

“We going to the top floor this time?” I asked as Howie tossed me a walkie talkie. We all enjoyed coming here, even Nick had come a couple times. Nick is a skeptic but Howie, AJ, and I fully believe in the paranormal. We come because we experience things when we are here. Have you ever watched that old show “Ghost Hunters”? All they play now are re-runs but that’s actually what it’s like. You hear, see and feel things and it is SOOOO cool! Nick doesn’t like me going because he is afraid something will happen. THAT is why Howie and AJ take me.

“We’ll see when we get in there and how much activity is going on tonight,” AJ answered my question as we ascended the concrete steps that lead up to the small porch and rickety old back door.

“Everybody remember the codes?”

“Yes, Howie. We go over this every time. Don’t we Little B?”

“Yeah. And, we have STILL never had to use them.”

“It’s still good that we have them and go over them. Now, let’s get down to business,” Howie turned and headed in through the door. We had this place down to an art, so we knew which boards, in the floor, to avoid and where to find cool stuff. Exploring this place never got old and the architecture was amazing!



“I can’t believe that door slammed in your face, AJ! That was so COOL!” I was wired and talking a mile a minute as we drove home. It was now almost 5 in the morning.

“That was sweet, Aje.”

“It scared the shit outta me! Oh, but, when BayBay’s hair got yanked…THAT was awesome.”

“Actually, that hurt.”

“I told you it was going to be a good night! I can’t believe we heard someone calling our names! That was pretty cool,” Howie nodded with excitement.

“Tonight was wicked, guys! You can totally wake me up to sneak out tomorrow night, too.”

“That will depend on if we are busted or not because I don’t remember leaving that light on,” AJ shook his head as he put his truck in park and we all got out. Heading towards the door, it became evident that Nick was, indeed, awake.

“Are we in deep?” I asked as Howie turned the knob.

“The answer is ‘yes’, Baylee. All three of you are in for it,” Nick answered. He was right in front of us: hair in shambles, no shirt, arms crossed, and sleep in his eyes. “You all went to the asylum again didn’t you?” he asked with furrowed eyebrows.

“Yes, but we are the ones who took him out, Nicky. Actually it was HIS idea,” AJ said pointing to Howie.

“You were supposed to take blame, Aje! You are the one who has a house down the street! Where am I gonna sleep when he kicks me out?”

“All of you go back to bed and we will discuss this later. NO MORE SNEAKING OUT!” Nick yelled before heading upstairs.

“Oh my God, we are so going to get lectured,” I sighed.

“Yeah but that little vein, in his forehead, was all throbbing again!” AJ snickered.

“Did you see the look on his face? He was going all ‘Kevin’ on us!” Howie covered his mouth as he started laughing hysterically. And everyone wonders where I get it from…just look at what I have for role models!

“Could you imagine what he would have been like if he went WITH us?!?” AJ and Howie were hanging onto each other’s shoulders as they continued to rant and laugh.

“He gets that funny look on his face and the muscles in his neck all tense up and shit,” AJ gasped for breath.

“Good night guys,” I shook my head and left them to their weird conversation. I rolled my eyes as I closed my bedroom door, still hearing them in fits of hysterics. God, I love those guys! Nick used to be just as much fun, but he has changed a lot over the past couple years. My thoughts twisted around my big, happy, dysfunctional family as I curled up, under the covers. After a little while, of my mind racing, I finally drifted back off to sleep.