- Text Size +
Left and Leaving
Chapter Four

The next day went on as usual. She and Nick had come home from their outing without another word to each other. At least on the subject of their future. They’d made small talk and that sort of thing, but once again their relationship returned to the cold nature it had achieved in the last little while.

When Camille finally arrived home from school that day, she saw Nick sitting on the computer in the bedroom. Curious, she peeked over his shoulder. Nick hardly ever went online, and when he did it was usually to stalk message boards. Camille always found the posts amusing, particularly those that talked about hers and Nick’s relationship.

However to her surprise, Nick wasn’t surfing Live Daily at all. He was looking at a real estate website. “What are you doing?” She asked.

Nick nearly fell out of his chair. He hadn’t heard her come up behind him, he hadn’t even realized that she was home from school. “Um…” He stammered, trying to think of a way to phrase things so that she wouldn’t be too upset. “We’re moving.” He simply said, cringing a little.

Camille nearly felt her heart stop as Nick said those words. They were moving? Where, and for what purpose? She didn’t want to move at all! Everything in Florida was perfect, moving would cause far too much trouble. “What?” She asked flatly.

“Yeah.” Nick said nonchalantly, as if it wasn’t a big deal. “We’re moving. To LA.”

“To LA?!” She nearly shouted, staring at Nick. Why hadn’t she heard any mention of this before? He’d been the one that told her to move down to Florida, so why was he suddenly asking for them to move? Granted, it had been a little over a year since she’d moved, but still! “I don’t want to move to LA!”

Nick sighed. While he would should have cared a great deal about how this would have affected her, after the way they’d been arguing for the last little while he didn’t really stress over it too much. “I have to.” He simply said.

She glared at him. Why on earth did he have to move to LA? That didn’t seem to make any sense at all. If he had work to do, couldn’t he just go there and come back? He certainly had enough money. “Why?” She asked, her voice pleading. “Why could you possibly have to move?”

He looked over at her. She was now sitting on the bed, her arms angrily folded over her chest. He had to admit he did feel kind of bad, he hadn’t meant for her to find out so suddenly. “I need to record. We’re doing a new CD.”

Camille took in this information and stared at the ground. That still didn’t make much sense to her. If Nick had to record, why did that cause him to have to move? “So? Why do you have to move? Why can’t you just go there for a bit?”

“Because I’ll be busy for a year or more!” Nick exclaimed, getting frustrated with her lack of understanding. “There’s no point in me having the house! Besides, I said we were moving. Not just me.” He pointed out, hoping that would make her feel better.

That made her feel a little better. At least Nick wasn’t totally abandoning her. At least he wanted her to move with him, that was a good sign, right? Still, she couldn’t just pick up and leave! She’d just started the new school year.

Though if Nick was leaving, she didn’t have much of a choice. Nick was her means of support while she was in Florida. If he left, she’d have to go back home to Boston. She was stuck either way. “I can’t….school…” She muttered.

“Switch to a school in California.” Nick shrugged, not seeing that as a big deal at all.

“You can’t just do that, Nick!” Camille exclaimed suddenly. Nick didn’t understand anything about school at all, and it irritated her quite a bit. Admittedly, it wasn’t the life he was used to, but she felt that he should at least try to learn for her sake. “You can’t just pick up and switch in the middle of the semester.”

“Then what are you going to do?” Nick asked her angrily. Once again he’d given her a solution, and once again she’d turned it down. He was beginning to question why he was even still trying. It seemed like nothing was ever good enough for her. “Either you move with me, or you go home. Either way, you have to go.”

She rolled her eyes. Why was Nick acting like such a jerk? He really didn’t seem to care about her well being at all. It was like he was only thinking about himself. “Why are you being such an ass?” She asked him bitterly. “Last I checked, we were supposed to make major decisions like this together!”

Nick laughed a little at that. He didn’t have to consult her on every decision he made. Especially ones that had to do with his career. His career that he’d had since long before he’d ever known Camille. “I don’t have to consult you on everything to do with my career, Cam.” He said bitterly. “You’re not Kevin.” He added, hoping that would make her laugh a little, and understand where he was coming from.

It didn’t make her laugh. “Well what the hell, Nick?” She screeched, standing up and pacing around the room. “You expect me to live with you, and be in a relationship with you, and yet you still expect to be free and able to make decisions on your own?”

Nick rolled his eyes. They were in a relationship, yes. However Camille knew that Nick didn’t like the idea of being tied down. In fact, hadn’t that been the base of their fights for the last few weeks? “We aren’t married.”

That made her upset. How dare he throw that in her fact after all the arguments they’d had lately. She didn’t feel it was fair of him at all to bring that up. “Obviously.” She spat, still pacing around the room while Nick sat lazily in the computer chair. “But that doesn’t mean that our relationship means nothing.”

Nick’s mouth nearly dropped open in shock. That had been the exact point he’d been trying to get across to her ever since she’d started this entire marriage ordeal! “Wow, you finally get it.” He said sarcastically. “Still, this is my job. You knew what my job was when we started dating, you knew that I would eventually have to go back to it.”

“I still don’t see why you have to move!” She shouted at him, going back to the original topic at hand. The last thing she wanted to discuss was the impossibility of them getting married.

“There’s no point in having the house!” Nick shouted back at her. “Look, you have two options.” He said, narrowing his eyes. “You can either come with me to LA, or you can move home to Boston. Either way, you can’t stay here. Not unless you get a job and start making your own money.” He said.

Camille shook her head. Her situation had been ideal, she’d been able to go to school in a place she liked without having to worry about spending time on a job she didn’t care about. Now it seemed as though her easy life was coming to an end. Feeling frustrated and alone, she stormed out of the bedroom. This left Nick to continue looking at house in LA online, barely giving what had just happened a second thought.