- Text Size +

AJ puffed on his cigarette as he stood on a small balcony overlooking LA. He couldn’t stop hoping that his phone would ring and that Millie would be calling to let him know that she was coming to their first US concert. His thoughts were broken by the door slamming behind him, he ignored the person standing there.

“How long are you going to ignore me?” Howie asked, leaning his back against the railing and crossing his arms “I didn’t do it on purpose AJ.” he sighed hard, hoping to get a word from his best friend.

AJ flicked his cigarette into the air and turned to look at Howie “I just can‘t believe that you blew her off. I mean she really loves you, and she suffers so much cause you don‘t. She‘s been through a lot lately.”

There was a long pause of silence “She said that too! What has she gone through? What happened to her in the hospital AJ? Why does she have that scar?” his eyes shifted from the ground to AJ and back.

AJ gave him a surprised look “How do you know about the scar? It‘s right under her…no you didn’t.” he balled his fist, wanting to let Howie have a punch. “You asshole, no wonder she is all worked up. You slept with her? Again?” he looked away angry at Howie and at Millie for leaving that part of information out of her sobbing confessions.

Howie glared at AJ now “How the hell do you know where the scar is?”

“Very funny…don’t pretend to be fucking jealous of something that is not there. She loves you not me…anyways I was there that night. While you were getting back together with your wife, who left you in the first place.” he placed his hand on the doorknob flinging it open.

Both stepped into the stadium, walking and arguing at the same time. “Seriously AJ what the hell happened?” he grabbed AJ’s arm and swung him around “I want to know! I need to know.”

“Yeah well you don’t have a right to know. So stop asking me cause I’m not going to tell you. If you want to know ask her…actually stay the fuck away from her. I swear Howie if I see you even looking at her I’ll kick your ass.”

The twosome entered the dressing rooms forgetting that the rest of the group was getting ready. “Well go ahead…” he stood up to AJ “Let’s get this shit over with!”

Kevin cleared his throat and the twosome turned to find all eyes on them. Leigh, Leighanne and Kristin sat in the corner all staring in confusion. Kevin glared at the twosome already guessing the topic of their heated argument, Nick continued to fix his hair in the mirror trying to ignore the tension.

While Brian looked at the man he knew as the calmest in the group standing up to his band mate. “What in Christ’s name is going on here? What are you two arguing about? We are about to put on a show and your fighting.” he crossed his arms waiting for an answer.

“Fuck this…” AJ blurted walking out of the door, leaving Howie to answer all the uncomfortable questions.

Howie looked at the group, he wanted to cry he was so angry. At AJ for not telling him the truth and at himself for being an idiot. “Nothing it’s just that…” he didn’t know what to say. What was a good and logical reason to argue with your best friend. He gave Kevin a ‘rescue me’ look.

Kevin quickly cleared his throat, knowing he was doing wrong. “It’s AJ you know how he gets when he wants things his way. Let’s just finish getting ready…and let him calm down.” he placed a hand on Howie’s shoulders as they all continued what they were doing.

AJ continued to walk, his new bodyguard Eddie right behind him a tall, white, bald guy with muscles all over. He just kept walking in circles around the staple center floors. He watched the eager women with their posters, camera’s and smiles waiting to tumble in through the doors as soon as they would open.

Millie sighed hard as she saw the amount of girls in line, luckily AJ had given her a special pass to get through the gates. Suddenly a rather chipper girl came crashing into her “Oh my god your AJ’s fiance…that’s so awesome. Can I get your autograph please.” the girl squealed as she called another couple of girls over.

She looked around a smile on her face, sometimes while being out in the past she had been recognized. But never asked for an autograph. “Sure…” she smiled signing quickly “Thanks girls but I have to go make sure that AJ is ready to perform for you.” They waved and shouted that they loved him and she let out a sigh of relief as the smirking guard let her through. “Thanks”

Millie entered the huge place and took in the scenario, looking back at the screaming girls. She felt lucky for a couple of seconds. Then realized that she would have to face Howie and Leigh tonight, the smile faded and her stomach began to flip. She wiped her hands on her denim Capri’s and fixed her loose fitted button blouse. Her heels were already nudging at her feet but she ignored the discomfort.

AJ stood over the railing he saw her making way up the escalator. He smiled she looked gorgeous her long wavy hair fell over her shoulders a small clip holding her bangs from falling in her face. Her blouse exposed a revealing black under shirt. Her heels clacked on the floor as she explored the place not even noticing that he now leaned against one of the big post.

“Hi there” he smiled, as she jumped at the sound of his voice. Placing her hand over her heart she gave him a smile and then a smack on the arm. “Sorry didn’t mean to scare you” he rubbed his arm.

“Serves you right for sneaking up on me” she giggled as she grabbed onto his arm. “So we are a rebel today huh?” she took his hand in hers as she looked at his nails covered in black polish. He shrugged, “At least no eyeliner today.” she teased him.

He raised his eyebrows “Who says…I was waiting to borrow yours.” he chuckled as she pinched his underarm. “How’s the rest of the attire?” he posed in front of her as they continued to walk.

She inspected him, today he looked awfully handsome, his tight black shirt, with dark blue fitted jeans, and his chucks. “You look hot…wait Paris says that…you look phat” she giggled at the word.

“Good!” he took her hand and gave her a twirl “Well you look P.H.A.T too…didn’t want to say the word someone might walk by and think I’m insulting you.” they both laughed coming to a halt “We are here” they stood at the door “Everyone is inside. EVERYONE!” he emphasized.

She smiled and kissed his cheek “I’m ok, I’ll be fine. Promise!”

He took her hand in his again and they opened the door to find everyone in prayer circle, AJ felt like he was back to the old days, even Kevin was there. Quietly the twosome joined the praying group

Howie still had his eyes closed, but a familiar scent hit his nose and he opened his eyes. There she stood looking beautiful as always, her hair covered her face as she bowed her head. He continued to inspect her, then a rush of anger ran through him as he caught her hand connected to AJ’s. Angrily he closed his eyes again.

Millie felt the prayer was taking forever, but then again with everyone’s eyes closed no one could make eye contact, which was a good thing. Her eyes opened slowly, she got a glimpse of the tall, slender woman standing there, she wore a nice outfit. A little to business like for the occasion, then she saw him standing right next to her, his eyes closed. She stared for a second, then his eyes opened and met hers. Without thinking she closed hers again tight, but it was to late everyone was shuffling around her.

“Hey…prayer is over” AJ whispered in her ear.

Her stomach was tossing as she looked at him, swallowing the knot in her throat. “I can’t do this…I can’t!” she almost yelled “I have to go” she began to walk away.

Just as she walked to the door she was caught off guard by an embrace, everything seemed to be going in slow motion as she looked at Sara a big smile on her face “Where the hell do you think your going?” she asked, with her bouncy voice like always. “You weren’t trying to escape were you?” she teased squeezing her again.

Millie faked a smile “Oh no! I was just going to get some fresh…”

Suddenly everyone came up to greet her, Kevin, Kristen, Nick, Brian and Leighanne. “Hi guys…wow everyone is here” she pushed a strand of her hair behind her ear anxiously as she just heard voices, but her eyes met with his again.

Howie watched her, he could tell that she wanted to run. Leigh spoke next to him, but he couldn’t hear her, until she tapped him on the shoulder he broke the eye contact with Millie “Huh…what happened?” he asked.

Leigh looked towards the younger girl and then back at Howie, but she ignored it all “I was saying that they just announced you are on in ten.” she smiled “Are you ok?”

Howie took her hand in his “Yeah I’m good…” he watched Nick, Brian and then AJ shuffle down the tunnel out to the stage, he kissed her cheek and was off right behind them.

All the women looked at each other, Sarah at Kristen, Kristen at Leighanne and all of them at Millie and then Leigh. Millie could see the iciness in Leigh’s eyes, so she returned the glare.

“So…how about we go to our seats girls…” Kristen broke up the eye fight. “Come on Leigh…” she placed a hand on her shoulder and they walked out to the corridor and then into a door that led to their seats the rest following.

“Wow she hates you. I think she can sense it. You fucking her man.” she giggled.

Millie gasped at the choice of words “Sarah! That sounds so scandalous…they weren’t even together, so she has nothing to be mad about.” Millie huffed as she crossed her arms following Eddie down to their front row seats. The two girls laughed as they heard the girls screaming and the boys coming out on stage.

The lights went out and all that was seen were the guys on stage, dancing around to the beats of their song ‘Trouble Is’ Howie began the song closing his eyes as the words came out of his mouth “How come you never know what you got…until it’s gone…cause I never felt so good with anyone…How fooled was I...Into thinking I was gonna be alright...Okay, fine”

As he finished his part along with Nick, Brian and AJ followed with the chorus “So everyday I try a little harder to forget her...lie here convince myself tomorrow will be better...Trouble is I can’t get her out of my mind…when I close my eyes at night…whose gonna save me…now she’s gone.” Howie looked down at Millie who just stared at the stage, he could see the tears nestled in her eyes. "Now I know what it is...love is what the trouble is."

AJ looked at his best friend, somehow he could see the pain in his eyes as they continued to sing the song. He looked down at Millie and knew that she was uncomfortable. Almost forgetting he had to sing he continued as it came to an end “Love is what the trouble is…”

“I can’t do this…” Millie walked as the song ‘Inconsolable’ began. Almost running as she reached the VIP entrance and exit, Eddie letting her through. She huffed as she stood outside of the venue not a soul in sight. The voices echoed through the corridors as she huddled up against the wall to cry.

AJ huffed already tired of the choreography, glaring at Howie, whom seemed to be drifted off in thought. “You ass…” he yelled over Kevin who was coming out to sing one of their back in the day songs.

“Would you two be civilized!” Kevin shouted over the twosome, that were now bickering at each other. “Look we can’t do anything about it right now. Ok! You have to do this show…for your fans…and well cause it‘s your job.”

Brian stood a rather confused look on his face as he watched his band mates in a heated argument. He was clueless to what was happening. “I don’t know what the hal…ibut is going on but…you two have to stop. I thought you two were best friends?” he flung on his new wardrobe as his eyes shifted from Howie to AJ and vice versa.

“Well not for long” Howie stated slipping on his jacket and walking out of the room first.

Millie ordered two beers and stood in the middle of the staple center corridor drinking the beers as fast as she could. Listening to the guys sing one of their older songs ‘More than that’ she sang along to what she could hear. AJ’s voice echoed through the hall and she wished that she had the same feelings for him, she had had a while back.

After she guzzled the two beers she ordered two more and then made way towards the wardrobe room. There she looked around finding Howie’s section, taking a shirt of his and sitting on one of their lounging chairs she finished one beer and then the other. She sat taking a lungful of the familiar scent from the shirt and crying. A part of her knew it was wrong, that the concert would end soon. She would only sit there for a second, then put the shirt back.

The concert was finally over two hours later, never had AJ felt like it would never end. Usually he loved hyping up the girls and giving out flirtatious smiles, but tonight all he wanted to do was run after Millie and console her like he had been doing the past couple of days. He walked faster than the others, praying that she had decided to wait in the wardrobe room.

Howie looked at the ground passing him by as he walked. Tonight the show was supposed to be the big opening for the rest of the tour, a hype. But it was nothing, but a heartbreak. A slap in the face of what had happened the past months.

The five men entered the room and came to a sudden halt. The two cups were on the ground, Millie laid on the couch. Huddled up, one arm dangling off the couch, her long black hair over her face. A brown T-shirt she hugged like a teddy bear in her arms against her cheek.

“Yeah Leigh is really going to like seeing that.” Nick snickered.

“Shut up Nick…this is serious. Poor kid, we have to wake her up or move her.” Kevin took charge as he kneeled down by the sleeping girl, slowly taking the shirt from her grip, then flinging the shirt towards Howie “I believe that belongs to you.” he gave him a glare.

“Ok…someone has to explain cause you all are acting to weird. Seriously!” Brian asked looking at the guys one by one.

“Fine, I’ll tell you…AJ asked Howie to bring Millie to Cali…” Nick took a deep breath “So he did…along the way he slept with Millie. It was her first time so she is either in love or obsessed…all in a nutshell.” he smiled proudly that he had cleared the air.

“What?” Brian looked at Howie “Your married to Leigh!” he exclaimed as if the whole room didn’t already know it.

“No shit…” Nick said, watching Kevin pick her up and carry her to their bathroom.

Kevin entered the bathroom “Ok whose gonna wake her up?” he sat her on the counter as she slowly began to wake up.

“Me” AJ shouted.

“Me” Howie followed.

“Yeah that would be nice…but I only need one. AJ get your ass over here. You have a wife on her way to this room who wouldn’t appreciate seeing you in the bathroom with another girl Howie. So stay out!” he slammed the door shut leaving AJ and Millie in the bathroom.

“I’m gonna be sick” Millie slid herself off the counter and hovered over the toilet.

“Mill…what the hell are you doing?” AJ took a rag from the counter and wet it. He held her from behind as she washed her face and rinsed her mouth. She turned around to face him, his hands still on her waist.

“I’m sorry!” she exclaimed embracing him “I wish I loved you…and that you loved me. That we were still getting married and…that I never would have seen him…” she was sobbing now, muffling her words into his shoulder. “I hate him…no…I don’t…yes…I do…” she giggled.

“Oh Millie…I’m so fucking sorry” he caressed her hair. “We have to get out of here Mill or all hell is going to break loose ok.” he lifted her head off his shoulders as she nodded. “Can you stand alone?” he asked letting her go.

Howie paced as he waited for the twosome to come out of the bathroom, he hated the fact that they were alone. In the background he could hear Brian scolding him, but he wasn’t paying attention. Suddenly the door swung open and the wives and Sarah walked in. “Have you guys seen Millie?” Sarah asked, looking around the room.

“Uh she got sick and AJ is with her in the…bathroom” Howie answered before giving anyone else the option to answer.

Sarah gave him a glare as she walked towards the bathroom, she knocked softly. AJ came out with Millie hanging by his side. “Hey look we are going to have to skip dinner, she’s not feeling well and we are going home.” he said out loud so the rest could hear. “See you guys later.” he dragged Millie out of the room.

“Those two have gotten so weird…I thought they broke up?” Leighanne questioned.

Everyone just exchanged looks, as Howie took a seat, sighing heavily.