- Text Size +

The next morning Howie awoke to the strong smell of coffee, his eyes opened instantly as the aroma hit his nostrils “Coffee” he mumbled, with all the traveling, long nights and stress in his life. He had become a big coffee addict along with AJ. There was probably not a Starbucks in the US they hadn’t visited.

“Morning…I thought I would bring you some coffee to start the day off.” she smiled as she sat at the uneven table, taking a sip of hers. “We still have a long way to go.”

“Yeah we sure do. But it should be smooth sailing from here.” he smiled, heading to the bathroom.

His phone rang as he brushed his teeth, taking the phone out of his pocket he answered. “Hello…”

“Yo D! What is up?” AJ sounded hyper on the line.

Howie placed his toothbrush on the counter and rinsed his mouth “Sorry I was brushing my teeth. What the hell are you doing up at this time?” Howie looked at his watch on the bathroom counter “Its seven here…it’s four there.”

“I know…we just got home with Nick and we each have a sweet one here.”

Howie turned to face the wall, as he leaned against the sink “Are you out of your mind. Your planning on breaking off a wedding and your going to sleep with some girl you don’t even know this morning!”

“See D that is why I don’t tell you anything, you get so fatherly. I need to get some and Millie is not going to give it up. So anyways how’s it going with you two?” AJ yelled at Nick, as he waited for Howie’s response.

He shrugged, still staring at the wall “…uh…it’s like whatever, she’s really sweet and nice. She just asks to many questions.”

“Yeah virgins do that…they can’t seduce so they…”

Howie huffed “Your such a dog…that is not true.” suddenly there was a knock on the door, making the phone slip out of his hands, and crash onto the floor, breaking into four separate pieces “Shit”

Millie leaned her ear on the door “Is everything ok? You talking to yourself?” she was startled by the door opening abruptly.

He stood the pieces of phone in his hands “You made me break it.” he frowned as he walked past her “Great…who knows where we can get another phone.” he sighed hard taking a seat on his bed and sipping on the now warm coffee.

“I’m sorry…I just heard you talking, thought you might be talking to AJ. I have mine!” she waved it at him.

“AJ? No, I haven’t heard from him. Maybe you should give him a call…or maybe I should.” He was tongue tied.

“I’ll call him. Are you sure your ok?” she looked at him concerned as she began to dial on her phone. Putting it to her ear, it rang once and then again. AJ answered with laughter in the background “Hi…didn’t expect you to be awake. I was just going to leave you a message.” she heard the commotion in the background “Are you having a party?”

“What no…I was just…uh…getting a glass of water. Nick, brought some people over and they are hanging out. I’m just tired.”

“Ok…I’ll let you get back to sleep then.” before she could say anything else, he had already hung up.

Howie inspected the woman, she gave him a smile “Forgot to remind you about the time difference.” he said sympathetically, lookin away You can’t lie like this. Freaking AJ gets me into some trouble.

“Well ready to continue our journey?” she lunged her bag over her shoulder and stopped at the door.

“Oh yeah, maybe you should wait till I get dressed.”

“Oh right, sorry…” she threw the bag back on the bed she had occupied and jumped on, belly up. “Well hurry!”I forgot to mention sweet, nice and pushy. If I was alone, I could be wandering around here in my underwear…or birthday suit… I would never do that! Howie found himself laughing alone, in the bathroom as he pulled up his pants.

She revved the engine and buckled her seat belt. “Uh are you sure you want to drive Millie? I can do it.”

“Come on Howie, we can take turns. Anyways you said its only for five hours.” she zoomed off, laughing at Howie’s head yanking forward.

Millie had driven for quite a while, which had given her plenty of time to think. She turned to look at the man huddled up against the door, a slight snore in his breathing, she muffled her giggles with her hand. He had been asleep since they had started their drive. He looked so cute overly dressed in his grey vest with matching pants and a white t-shirt. He sure has a weird fashion sense. Wait...what am I talking about AJ...is worse.

Taking another glimpse at Howie, she turned her attention back on the road, silence taking over with exception of the unknown station playing on the radio. The song by Taylor Adams ‘Teardrops on my Guitar’ began to play, Millie put up the volume and sang along.

Howie heard singing in his head, thinking he was dreaming he smiled. Then realized that his driver was singing along with the radio at high volume. He slightly opened his eyes and chuckled at the woman moving her head at the rhythm of the song, her voice blaring out the convertible.

The song came to an end “Great singing” Howie complimented her, making her whip her head at him and squeal.

“Oh my God I forgot you were in here with me.” her cheeks reddened at the wide smile on his face. “Jerk” she ranted, giving him a smack on the arm.

“What? I wasn’t kidding you have a nice voice. Plus you’re the one that woke me up.” he looked at his clock. “Wow…how long was I out?”

“Well for a couple of hours now. Last sign I saw, said Baton Rouge is the next city.”

“Your right it’s been four hours. Wow! Well we can stop there and rest for a while and I’ll drive another couple of hours. So you can rest.”

“Sounds like a plan. So I guess they don’t call you Sweet D for nothing huh?” she smiled.

He blushed “What do you mean?”

“You’re a very sweet and respectful man. I can’t imagine how you and AJ are friends.”

He bellowed a laugh “Well not to sound weird, but opposites attract…not like that…but…yeah…I…I hope we stay on schedule.”

Millie laughed at the embarrassment on Howie’s face “It’s ok, I understand what your trying to tell me. He’s just a rebel, and well your…uh…not…a rebel.”

“I can be rebellious.” he looked around.

“Oh really! Well what were you planning on doing on this road trip, I mean we haven’t done anything.”

“Well just drive…”

“Now that is boring. Your supposed to stop somewhere and have a drink, dance, laugh…maybe pick up some hot chic…girl…woman…whatever” now she rambled.

“I don’t do the one night stand thing. Thank you!”

“See. I mean…” her words were cut off by a sudden crash of thunder “Uh isn’t it still sunny out…plus its summer.”

“Who said it doesn’t rain in the summer?” just as he finished his sentence the car slowed down extremely, making them look at each other. “Very funny…” he mocked a laugh.

“Howie, the car is off…and all those lights are on. Oh no! we are stranded aren’t we?”

“Just calm down and pull to the side” he motioned her as she struggled to twist the steering wheel. "Now which one went on first?" he asked.

Just as she pulled to the side the car came to a sudden halt. “Isn’t this a new car, I mean how does it just turn off.” she tried turning the key, but it was no use. "I don't remember, they all turned on." she bit her bottom lip.

The traffic on the highway was light, she looked for oncoming cars and hopped out, he followed, as she popped open the hood. “So you know about cars?” she looked at him.

“NO! I have a driver most of the time and I drink champagne! Of course I know about cars…” he began to feel and tug at things. Just say the truth, you don’t even have a clue where the spark plugs go. “Ok I have no idea.”

“Great” she rolled her eyes, taking out her cell phone and dialing "Great battery is dead." she let out a frustrating yell.

Just as she returned to the car to grab her purse it began to sprinkle. “No…this is not happening” she tried covering herself with her purse. “Look the exit is probably about ten minutes away, we can walk and get some help.” she waited for his response.

The sprinkles were getting heavier “Fine” he sighed, letting the hood fall “Let me get my stuff” he picked up his wallet in the middle compartment.

They had already begun their trek to get help, but realized that the closest thing was a highway phone to call a tow truck. “Ok so the exit wasn’t that close.” she sheepishly laughed. Another crash of lightning made the twosome jump, she grabbed the phone and began the call, just as she hung up it began to pour, the heavy drops drenching their clothes quickly. Lighting and thunder in chorus rain. “They said Forty five minutes to an hour.”

“Now what?” he asked, giving up on covering himself and really overreacting. The rain drenching his nicely pressed vest and slacks. “My clothes” he gasped.

Millie began to laugh like a crazy person as they reached the car and they both stood on the grassy side “That’s your fault. Who wears preppy clothes on a road trip? You! Your supposed to be comfortable…” she continued laughing.

“Ha…ha…I like to look good. Ok! You don’t have much to nag about cause your shirt is already showing it all“ her mouth dropped open as he finished his sentence. “I see you like exposing”

“That was uncalled for. It‘s not my fault I‘m gifted in that area.” she covered herself, as she pushed him out of the way to sit in the passenger seat.

The two sat in the car like idiots, the water flooding their feet. For the past hour not a word had been muttered from either one “Well to bad the hood is electrical huh” he began to laugh.

“I see nothing funny about this. They aren’t coming and we have to go. I'm freezing.” she jumped out of the seat and began to walk. “Shit what about our stuff? The hell I'm leaving the dress...” she walked back.

“We have to leave it. Just take a bag” he demanded.

"No, I'm carrying it, so I CAN take it" she yanked the dress out of the trunk and neatly placed it over her arm. "See" she stuck her tongue out at him.

He rolled his eyes "Your so childish...you'll see it will be drenched by the time we get there." 

They each got a light bag and headed towards the exit. The walk was very quiet, just as she gave him a look they headed up the ramp and were blown away by the beautiful city. Buildings everywhere, greenery surrounding them. “There has got to be something to do here” Millie’s eyes lit up with excitement.