- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Its been a while and to tell you the truth I'm still debating on the main man... *sigh* I had an ending already and my best friend said that I kill everyone in my stories to make a change...I'll think about it. haha! Thanks

Millie picked up her purse as she waved at the last waddling woman walking by, huffing and puffing. She sighed at the irony of being the front desk clerk in the maternity station at Saint Josephs hospital. “See you guys next week. I have the weekend off…gonna help my dad with the 911 charity. Please come by if you would like.” she waved at everyone at the nurses station and headed home.

When she walked out, it was already dark. She missed the long days, when the sky stayed lit till late at night. They reminded her of him. Her phone began to sing “Girls just want to have fun” she opened her phone and answered “Hello”

“Hey there beautiful. How are you doing?” AJ’s voice boomed through the line. “We are coming home. We have a surprise for you, I was advised not to say a word…so I shall say no more.” he chuckled.

Millie laughed “That is not fair Mr. Mclean…you know I hate surprises. Just tell me already.” she waited.

“Nope…no can do. Listen I was just calling to let you know that we will ALL be home tomorrow morning, I’ve got to go now. We have a show to put on. Love ya”

She swallowed “Uh…yeah…have fun!” she closed the phone and hopped into her car, only three weeks had gone by, but so much had been done. She had officially moved all her stuff from Orlando and had quit her receptionist job at the local clinic. As for AJ after the last encounter, she had promised herself it wouldn’t happen again and she would keep her promise.

Howie glared at AJ, he knew there was something fishy about him. How openly he told her he loved her. It infuriated him. Wasn’t he the responsible one for most of her grief? And she didn’t hate HIM. If only she knew that there wasn’t a day that he didn’t think about her. He smiled, thinking that soon he would at least get a glimpse of her and at the time just a look was more than enough.

“Earth to Howie…” Brian waved his hand in his face “Is everything alright…we are almost on.”

He sighed hard “Yeah I’m good…” The twosome had no choice but to put their differences aside as long as they were on the bus, but many times they would fight over little things. When everyone knew what the big issue was. “Aren’t you getting a little to attached?” Howie muttered under his breath as AJ went by.

“As a matter of fact YES. Why you jealous?”

“That’s enough…then will have arms and legs flying everywhere. I don’t want another black eye from trying to stop you two. So stop it now!” Brian scolded going back to his humming.

The twosome just gave each other deadly glares as they were announced to go on stage.

Millie huffed as she took off her shoes, threw her jacket on the couch, then herself. “Dad…” she shouted, as the tall man came from the hallway “I thought you weren’t here” she kissed his cheek.

“I’m here honey. Got to go back in the morning. Excited about the charity event? I have some good or bad news for you. I was going to wait, but I think I should tell you now.” he raised his eyebrows.

“Ok…is it part of AJ’s surprise?…tell me dad!” she tucked her legs under her butt and pulled her dad to sit next to her “I’m waiiiting.” she teased.

He smiled crookedly “Well everything is set for the charity this Saturday and we are having some special guests that aren’t just going to perform three songs, but are going to help out in the booths. Isn’t that great?” he smiled enthusiastically.

“They guys???” she frowned “Dad that means that Howie is going to be there and I’m going to have to see him and it’s going to break my heart again and…I‘m still mad at him” she began to breath hard “Oh god I’m getting hives just thinking about it.”

Her father chuckled, as he patted her leg “Now…now Millie its not that bad. At least he’ll be there alone. AJ will be there too. What ever happened with you two?”

Millie blushed quickly “DAD!!” he shrugged “It was just a one…okay a two time thing. Is that weird? That around AJ I get all giddy. But most of the time I find myself thinking and missing Howie. Can you love two people at the same time?” she looked at her father pleadingly.

“Uh…I don’t think so. It will always be a different type of love for each person. I think your just confused, so you feel like you love them both. You love one more than the other, you just have to figure out which one.” he patted her leg and disappeared into the kitchen.

Millie sat, maybe she should just take AJ’s offer. It wasn’t like Howie was going to realize that he loved her and not his wife and he would run to her side. Although she prayed for it to happen every night. No, she would continue to wait, until her heart told her to give up and for now it was telling her to wait.

The next morning Millie awoke to a familiar pair of eyes staring at her, she almost jumped out of the bed. “Holy shit AJ…you scared the shit out of me.” she smiled.

“Sorry I just had breakfast with your dad and I thought I would check up on you. I was just making sure you were ok.” he leaned over and kissed her cheek.

“I’m fine AJ…really. So how were the shows?” she sat up now, running her fingers through her morning hair.

“Great as always, a couple of encounters with Howie, but we both survived. Uh…I got teased for my stitches which look like their falling out.”

She covered her face “I’m so sorry…” she got out of the bed and walked over to him, standing over him she felt on his eyebrow. “Well it looks much better.”

He swallowed hard, he wanted to wrap his arms around her waist and pull her towards him. Kiss her like the last time and if possible much…much more. He couldn’t forget the two encounters, they were vivid in his mind.

Howie laid on his big bed, trying to find any traces of Millie on the pillows or the sheets, but her scent had long been washed away. Flashes of his last time with her flooded his mind. If only he could sleep through the day and then it would be tomorrow so he could already see her. He stared at the pink bag he had placed next to his. Many times he had been curious to open it and just peak in. What was in it?

The rest of the day went by uneventful for any of them, each one just anxious for the charity event. Brian, Baylee and Leighanne had opted to stay at Kevin’s house too. While Millie, AJ and her father spent the day making the last arrangements for the event.

The big day was here and Millie scooped up her hair into a ponytail, put on her jean skirt, a red and white volunteer shirt and her sneakers. She was ready. For the long, exhausting, fun and nerve wrecking day ahead of her. She walked to the kitchen to find her father in almost the same attire.

“We ready to go?” he smiled embracing her “It will be fun. The kids are going to love you.”

She looked at him puzzled as they made way to the car “Kids? Dad…I don’t want to be around kids, they always leave those little toddlers there and I…” she sunk into the passenger seat, already feeling dreadful.

Her father started the engine and frowned “I’m sorry baby it wasn’t my choice. The chief put you there cause he knows that you love kids.” he caressed her head “It will be fine I promise your going to have some help with them anyways” he smirked.

The guys arrived in a limo, Brian, Leighanne, Nick, Sarah, Howie, and AJ stepped out trailing behind each other into the venue. Quickly they were greeted and escorted to their dressing room, where they were handed the same shirts as the rest of the volunteers.

Howie dressed quickly and was the first to walk out to notice all the smiling faces and the running children. Booths with games, food, clothes, and different vendors were scattered around the large area. He could see the stage were they would be performing later in the day.

Brian and Leighanne joined him, both staring at the crowd, right behind them now stood Nick and Sarah their hands linked together. Lastly AJ walked past them, the group staring in his direction where he locked hands with Millie’s father and then scooped her up into a hug.

“Stop it!” she giggled as he put her back down. “Are you all here? You look so cute in your volunteer shirt” she teased him, poking his ribs.

“Yeah over there…” he pointed at the staring group.

Her eyes locked with Howie’s instantly, but he looked away angrily and walked away. She waved at the group and they all headed her way. They greeted each other and then dispersed to their booths.

Howie stood watching the kids in the small enclosed area. Some ran around like wild animals, others cried and some just played ignoring everyone else. “How the hell did I get stuck here?” he asked out loud. He let out a sigh of frustration as he ran his fingers through his hair.

Millie walked through the gate and noticed the small children running around. “Hi there you must be Millie?” an older, stubby lady with long black hair smiled at her “Uh we only have two young ones so far. This is Mikey he’s only two and then we have Elizabeth who is six months.” she held out her arms with the baby towards Millie.

She froze staring at the small child, as the woman looked at her a little concerned. “I’ll take her” the familiar voice broke her trance. As she watched the woman hand him the baby and walk away “Are you alright?”

Howie stood holding the baby like a pro in his arms, as she stuffed her fat fingers in her mouth. “I…yeah…I’m fine.” they stood looking into each others eyes for a couple of seconds, then she snapped “What are you doing here? Is this some kind of sick joke?”

“Huh? Yeah like I would ask to be teamed with…you…on purpose.” he hissed back at her. “Don’t flatter yourself. I was just put here, and what is your deal with babies. You stare at them like you…”

“Shut up!” she demanded “How about you don’t talk to me.” she spun around and crossed her arms like a child. By now the kids were staring at the twosome arguing in the middle of the play area. “I…don‘t…” she finally noticed all the little eyes on her.

“Ooh! The teachers have a crush” one of the children blurted.

“Mommy says that when a boy fights with you, he liiiikes you…” giggles erupted through out the play area.

“Uh…well…” she looked back at Howie “It’s not always true.”

“Are you guys going to kiss and make up now. My mom and dad do.” the same little girl taunted.

“How about you guys continue to play…” she faked a laugh.

“Yeah…just go about your playing.” he gestured them away with his hands, like he’d scare away chickens.

“Oh my god…go about your playing!! They are children you know, not chickens.” she crossed her arms as she continued to stare at the child in his arms. “I can’t be around you. Why can’t anyone understand that.” she walked away, swung the gate open and stormed off.

“Ma’am can you please watch them. I promise we will be right back.” he handed the baby back to the lady and ran after Millie. “Millie wait!” he yelled as he watched her enter one of the halls.

Millie stopped and covered her face as she felt the tears streaming down her cheeks. Why did it still hurt to look into his eyes? She jumped at the touch of a hand on her shoulder. “Go away…” she mumbled.

“Millie…” he turned her around and suddenly embraced her, he waited hoping that she would respond, that her hands would wrap around him too. He closed his eyes in anticipation, then he felt the warmth of her hands against his back and her breath against his neck. “Oh Millie…” he whispered into her ear.

She raised her head slowly to have her eyes meet with his, then she felt his mouth cover hers.