- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

All stories have slow chapters...I think. To me this is one of them, but I hope you like anyway.

It was the end of the week and Millie sat happily caressing her new little friend. He was back to his peachy color, he was more alert, and his eyes gazed curiously at her. “I wish I could keep you…it’s like your mine already.” she caressed his smooth face with her finger.

“It’s official…” Benny said prancing cheerfully into the NICU with a small card in hand “Look at this!” she turned the card around and it read ‘baby Elijah’ they both smiled “That’s his name now.”

“Really?” Millie looked up anxiously at Benny.

“Yup, we all decided that we can’t keep calling him ‘preemie’ ‘baby’ so he’s got a name.” Benny’s smile beamed.

She turned her gaze back at Elijah “You’ve got a name now…you like it?” she continued circling her finger over his cheek.

Benny placed the card on the side of his bed, and then turned around with a frown “Then there is a not so good official news too.” Millie questioned her with her raised eyebrows, Benny let out a sigh. She knew that the news would break Millie’s heart even if it didn’t happen right away. “He’s being put up for adoption. The mother never signed him over, but she will hopefully come in sometime next week.

“Someone could adopt him now…? You think I could? I mean…I have a steady job, I live in a nice house, in a nice neighborhood. He’d have a grandpa and maybe if Howie decides to come back…he’ll have a father.” she almost sounded like a child that wanted a toy, really bad.

“I’m not sure, I suppose you could. We would have to wait you know. He’s going to be here at least a full month or two. So you have time.” she patted Millie on the shoulder. “Your lunch is over, you should go before they band you fom the NICU.” she laughed as Millie handed over Elijah.

“Ok…I wont be coming later today. I’m having dinner with my father, at a fancy restaurant. Which means there is some news.”

Benny laughed again as she cradled the little man in her arms “Maybe he has a step mom for you…?”

Millie playfully glared at her “Don’t even joke about it…see ya” she jogged back to her station.

Howie flung his bag across the room, it landed neatly in the corner. The frustration was at it’s peak, he wanted to catch AJ and just strangle him. He had lost all this time and they still hadn’t found him. Luckily Leighanne’s whining had driven Brian to getting them all on a plane and back home.

He was tempted to try the hospital again, maybe he would find her there, but he was to exhausted to be turned down again. So he opted for hopping into a warm and relaxing shower, then going out to get some dinner.

“Welcome to Koi” a hostess greeted.

Millie straightened out her lacy blue baby doll dress as she entered the restaurant patio behind her father, the place was welcoming, with votive flickering candles, bamboo sticks hung against the walls and a big Buddha hung above a fireplace. He took her hand as they entered the crowded and busy room. A long sushi bar lined the wall, the place was dimly lit, and the walls were covered with red and gold colors. Round wooden tables, were almost clustered together, the twosome took a seat, she looked around uncomfortably. There was a buzz of voices and laughter in the air, the clinking of utensils against plates, the sizzling of the noodle’s being friend in the background.

“So dad…uh what brings us here? This place is a celebrity spot?” she whispered over the table.

He smiled “I have a surprise…” he didn’t say anything else as they sat in silence for a couple of minutes. “So how is Elijah? I’m so glad that they gave him the name you chose.” he placed his hand over hers.

She smiled widely at the sound of the babies name “Oh I know…I am so happy. Speaking of Elijah dad…” she paused unsure to voice her plans. “Do you think they would let me adopt him?”

Mr. Nunez’s face turned serious “Oh hun…are you sure you would like to take such responsibility? It’s a process and it takes a lot of patience.” he informed her.

“Does that mean you don’t think I would be suitable for his mother? I can be his mother…I think.”

He was about to answer when a tall, petite, brunette with blue eyes and a gentle smile stood over them. “Hi Eddie” she beamed as he stood and planted a kiss on her rosy cheek. “I’m so sorry I’m late, I had a client last minute.” he pulled her chair and she delicately took a seat.

Millie sat almost frozen in her chair, his surprise was a woman. Her dad was dating again and he was introducing his new object of affection to her. She didn’t know what to feel, happiness, jealousy, concern or anger because he was barely telling her now. Then again he was her dad and he deserved happiness too, she was beautiful and seemed very polite.

“Earth to Millie…” her father waved his hand in her face “Honey…”

She snapped out of her thoughts “Oh I’m sorry dad…” she looked up, her cheeks blushing.

“Rachelle this is my daughter Millicen…Millie for short. Millie this is Rachelle my…new girlfriend.” he half smiled, waiting for her response.

“Nice to meet you Rachelle…” she smiled as she took her menu. “I see you’re the reason for my dad’s smiling again and the late nights” she giggled.

Rachelle blushed “I confess I am…I hope you don’t mind. He looks so handsome when he smiles.” her laughter was soft and girly.

“Not at all, I actually think the same.” Millie chuckled.

They ordered their food. Then they started a conversation, her father watched the interaction between the two women. He had to make sure that his daughter was ok with his choice of love interest, not that she really had a say. But Millie’s opinion meant the world to him. He sighed with relief that they were smiling and accepting each other.

Howie opened the door of the passenger seat “Damn I’m glad you could come with me…I love this place. I just didn’t want to come alone.” He walked next to the long haired woman as they talked and laughed, walking into the restaurant.

“Welcome to Koi. I’m sorry if you can give me one second please.” the hostess smiled warmly as Howie returned the gesture. The twosome stood near the wall of the patio out of the way of the those departing.

“I just hope we don’t wait forever it’s like nine already. Anyways…so did you find her? Or AJ?” she asked.

“Uh I found her, but she doesn’t want to talk to me. As for that idiot we looked everywhere and nothing. We are due to go back next week.” he sighed, just remembering the trip, frustrated him.

She patted his back "Don't get so frustrated, he's heart broken and lonely. He'll come around and you guys will find him. As for Millie...don't give up. A Dorough never gives up!" she smiled.

Mr. Nunez linked his arm to his daughter’s and the other one to Rachelle. They walked out into the chilly night, the candle flames danced with the breeze. Rachelle stopped to take out a cigarette pack from her purse and stuck one in her mouth. “Sorry bad habit…” she lit the tip and took a puff.

Millie remembered her encounter with the nasty tobacco stick earlier that week. There was no way she would try one again. She stood to the side, watching her father interact with the new woman in his life. She was happy for him, that was her overall feeling. Watching them reminded her of Howie and her dumb decision to send him away. She sighed, sticking her fingers in the mini pond in front of her.

“Alright Mr. Dorough you can follow me.” she led them down the patio.

He walked behind both women and suddenly came to a halt, he watched as her hair blew with the wind and knew who she was. He stood right behind her “Millie” he spoke softly.

Millie tensed as she heard her name, then inched her way around to find herself face to face with Howie. She bashfully pulled a strand of hair behind her ear “Hi!” she spoke with a smile on her face. “Wow…this is a coincidence…” she giggled.

He smiled as he retraced every inch of her face, ignoring the temptation to run the side of his hand against her cheek. “Oh yeah…I know…I was…”

“Hey come on…what’s the hold up?” a hand slipped over his arm and a chin rested on his shoulder. “I’m hungry” the voice whined.

Millie’s face gloomed as she saw the beautiful woman close to Howie. “Oh I’m sorry…I didn’t know…I have to go…” she began to walk away. Why had he said he would come back? When he was obviously with someone already. Maybe she was his back up plan. She didn’t want to be angry, but she was. Her cheeks were burning, her heart was thudding excessively and she wanted to cry.

“Oh god Howie. I’m sorry is that her?” she covered her mouth “Well go and get her moron. I’ll wait for you inside, don’t be mad if I’m stuffed by the time you get back.” she chuckled.

He smiled, already walking away he turned “Thanks Polly! You’re the best sister.”

“Yeah…yeah…” she walked through the doors.

Millie paced outside, waiting for her father. She was mumbling things to herself and even though she had struggled to keep the stubborn tears from falling they had a mind of their own. She sniffled and wiped her cheeks.

“Are you alright?” she heard the familiar voice that made her dinner, rise and fall in the pit of her stomach. He placed a hand on her shoulder, but she shrugged it off.

Her back was still to him, but she spoke anyway “You said you would keep coming back, but you didn’t…I waited. You…”

“Oh yeah I know. I’m sorry! It’s just that, well I…” he began.

She spun around and interrupted him “Its only been a week and you already have someone else---”

“That is not what it looks like.” he smiled, she was jealous and he was gloating, because it meant that she still felt something for him. “She’s my---”

She put her hand up “I don’t want to hear it. Please. I have to go.” she walked away as fast as she could.

Howie stood a wide grin on his face, he’d explain during the week. He was still going to look for her at the hospital and he’d wait as long as he’d have to until she gave him a chance to let her know that the woman was. Pollyanna his older sister.

Chapter End Notes:
Thanks again for the reviews.