- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Alright it's almost coming to an end. I thought this chapter was cute and sad. I hope you like it. Thanks for the reviews ladies *Hugs*

“Oh wow last Monday you were looking radiant. A week later you look like someone died. Did someone die?” Benny asked poking the baby with a tiny needle.

Millie flinched and the baby let out a tiny cry and fell back to sleep. “No…well does my heart count?” she pouted, looking down at Elijah. “Why does he sleep so much?” she asked.

“Your heart died?” Benny looked at her puzzled “I don’t get it…it’s the medication honey, puts him to sleep.”

Millie sighed, rocking back in forth “It took him one week to find someone else…” she muttered as Benny looked at her, placing her hand over her mouth “Yeah I know…one damn week. Are you sure about what he said...cause he was with a woman. She’s beautiful, too tall for him if you ask me.”

“I’m sooo confused.”

“I saw him on Friday at some dumb fancy restaurant, where by the way my dad introduced me to his new girlfriend…whom is beautiful and very friendly. So anyways he was there with this very tall and beautiful brunette and…ugh! Must I say more.” she sighed putting the baby back.

“Uh…actually yeah. So did he kiss her, hug her intimately…did he tell you he was with her. What if it was a friend?” Millie got up and headed off to remove her scrubs. “Millie your jumping to conclusions.”

She shook her head “No…I’m not! You know maybe I’m better off alone.” she rolled her eyes as they passed through the nursery “I just wish they would leave…me…” she looked up and saw Howie looking into the nursery window.

Howie ran his fingers through his hair. The look on her face made him nervous, it was angry and confused. He was just worried that she wouldn’t let him explain, but he would anyway. Damn it!

He leaned against the wall next to the door where he knew she would come out of. He was crossing his arms when she walked out waving at Benny “Bring me a coke please…” Benny stuck her head out, as Millie nodded.

“Hey there…” Howie cleared his throat, making her look up at him. He was startled by the bags under her eyes and the tired look on her face. “Are you alright?”

She rolled her eyes and started down the hallway “I’m fine!” she snapped “What are you doing here?” she stopped in front of the elevators, then pushed the down arrow button. She crossed her arms over her chest, and stared at the elevator.

“I’m not sure why your so angry?” he stood next to her in the same position, looking at her from the corner of his eyes.

The elevator dinged and the doors slid open, she stepped in and pushed the button with a number one on it. The doors closed and silence filled the box. “What do you want Howie? Look wouldn’t it just be easier for both of us if you just stayed away…seriously. I’m done with games.” she looked at him, her eyes weld up.

“You think this is a game? That I come here to torture you. Your not the only one that has been hurting with all this craziness Millie.” the elevator doors opened and they stepped out. “Can we talk outside?”

She shrugged. rolled her eyes and then followed him. They exited the glass doors and stood outside. “I really don’t know what we have to talk about…I have to go back with Elijah.”

A pang of jealousy hit Howie’s stomach as he heard the male name. Who the hell could that be? “Uh…I know I over reacted the other day, when I found out about AJ. It’s just every guys nightmare to find out that the girl you love, is sleeping with your best friend.” he stuck his hands in his pockets.

“I know and I’m really sorry about that. Like I said it was only twice and it meant nothing, I was lonely, sad, heart broken and really angry. Not that it’s excusable..I'm sorry!" she sighed heavily "I didn't think you would come back, anyways you shouldn’t have come here and then told Benny that you were going to come everyday and then you don’t even come back for a whole week…” she took in a breath.

“Oh yeah…I‘m…” he started.

“So I wait for you and you go missing for a whole week…then I find you with some tall ass brunette at the restaurant. You guys seem very…” she continued rambling on.

He smirked “Millie…it’s not what you think!” he tried to talk over her.

Millie continued “So that just makes you a liar cause you didn’t come back and it looks like you had a back up plan with someone…”

Howie grabbed hold of both her forearms, catching her off guard “Would you listen to me woman…” she tried speaking but he pressed two fingers against her mouth “Let me finish…I did say I would come until you spoke to me again. I meant it, but I’m having issues…” he let go and ran his fingers through his hair “With AJ leaving and all. I promise I was going to come back, but we had to fly to London.”

She huffed crossing her arms again. “Ok…so you didn’t come for a week cause you had to go to London. Thanks for explaining that to me…now I have to get back. I hope that she makes…”

He rolled his eyes and groaned. “Millicen…she’s my sister. Pollyanna. Plus she’s taller than me.”

Millie turned red as her mouth fell open, the embarrassment obvious on her face. “What? Your sister…the brunette was your…oh god!” she placed a hand over her face “How embarrassing…It’s just I thought…” she bit her lip, she didn’t know what to say.

Howie chuckled “I am happy you were jealous.” he smiled.

The redness crept back onto her cheeks, as she smirked “I was not…ok maybe a little. Shut up! Well I have to get Benny’s coke and go back up with Elijah.” she entered the hospital, Howie trailing behind her.

“Uh…may I ask who Elijah is?”

She giggled “Oh it’s a white boy I visit during my breaks and after work. He’s great. We are like two peas in a pod.”

He looked at the ground as they entered the cafeteria “So…uh what’s he like?” he didn’t want to come out and ask the obvious question floating in his mind.

“Oh he’s gorgeous, blue eyes, blonde hair…stares at me a lot and he‘s strong.” she sighed remembering her little bald man, but she got a kick out of the uneasiness in Howie’s face. “You want to meet him?” she smirked.

“Uh…I’m not sure. I’ve got a lot of things to do. I really just wanted to explain to you, since you jumped…”

“Don’t remind me. Come on…you might like him. He’s easy to get along with and he is important to me.” she held a coke in one hand and pushed the elevator button with the other.

Howie sighed sticking his hands into his pockets. She had just started working here, how could someone be so important already. He sighed. “Alright I guess. If he’s THAT important to you.” the elevator ride to the third floor was quiet. He didn’t know what to expect, all he could imagine was some handsome, tall, whit doctor with blue eyes checking out his Millie. He sighed heavily.

Millie entered the room and met with Benny whom happily took the coke from her hand. “Hey can he go back there and meet Elijah? Please”

Benny smiled and nodded “Sure thing…only for a little while. He’s gonna be busy tonight.” she handed Howie a pair of scrubs. He stared at them confused as to what he was to do with them.

Millie giggled as she slipped on her own “You need to wear it to go in there.”

He shrugged and put on his scrubs, then washed their hands thoroughly. They walked into the room and all he saw were different machines and an incubator in the corner. “So where is he?” Howie asked expecting to see handsome doctor appear from out of nowhere in his signature white coat.

“He’s over here…” Millie giggled as she carefully pulled out Elijah, she nestled him into her arm. “Isn’t he beautiful?”

He was taken aback on how careful and gentle she was with the little person in her arms. The way her eyes sparkled as she stared at him and his little blue eyes looked back at her, this moment would be etched in his mind forever. “He’s a baby…”

She smirked “What did you think…he was some hunky doctor?” she looked up at him with a grin.

“Well the way you described him…wait a minute you did that on purpose.” he playfully glared at her.

She giggled “It almost looked lik you were jealous."

He cleared his throat "Maybe just a little..." he chuckled.

"Here…” she held out the baby towards him, he nodded “What? He doesn’t bite…look at him.”

“I can’t Millie I don’t know how to…” she slipped the baby into his arms “OOOK!” his heart was racing, it was nerve wrecking holding something so fragile. He smiled as Elijah stared at him, with his blue eyes. “He’s so tiny!” he whispered.

“Yeah he’s a preemie, his mommy had him at seven months. Unfortunately she wanted nothing to do with him. He’ll be put up for adoption soon, once he gets even better.” she frowned. Although she was dying to be the one to adopt him, over the weekend she had decided that there was no way that they would let her keep him. So she wouldn’t bother trying. She would just enjoy the time she could with him.

Howie traced a finger over Elijah’s tiny chin and his little pink mouth opened into a smile and ended with a low coo. “Was that a smile?” Howie was so fascinated with the little bundle, he was also smiling from ear to ear.

Millie sniffled, wiping away a tear as she watched Howie interact with the baby. He would have looked so perfect as a daddy, she thought to herself. “That’s his first smile. He likes you.”

“I like you too.” Howie replie tenderly. Then handed the baby back to Millie, she took him back in her arms. “I’ve got to go” he muttered gazing into her eyes, his face was inches away from hers. “Can I come back tomorrow?”

She didn’t break the eye contact with him as she responded “Of course…we will be waiting.” he leaned closer to her, her heart was pounding full force and if she wasn’t so conscious that Elijah was in her arms they would have melted off. She closed her eyes as he drew closer and then felt his lips graze her cheek. She was disappointed, but any touch from him was welcome.

“See you tomorrow!” He whispered, as she opened her eyes slowly to see him flash a smile and then walk out the door.

The tears spilled as soon as she saw the door close behind him, the moment was to much for her. She took a seat and rocked back and forth slowly as she nuzzled the babies cheek with her nose. “Isn’t he wonderful.” she smiled, sniffing back the tears.