- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Sorry I've taken so long but my comp is down and I might be long with the next which i have ready to post, but my computer is down. And it will be a while before it's up and running. Thanks for reading once again.
Nick and AJ looked at each other, fear in their eyes “But I thought that we were ok, as long as…” Nick trailed off.

“I’m sorry, but I have to take you in. You wouldn’t happen to know where your other two band mates are?” The officer said, taking out his hand cuffs.

“No, actually we…” he looked at Nick for reassurance, “We don’t know, one is on the road, I don’t think his phone is working anymore. As for Brian, we haven’t heard from him.” AJ sighed with frustration. This was not happening to him, he was a Backstreet Boy damn it. Why should they pay for the irresponsibility of the accountant.

“Well I just hope your not lying Mr. Mclean. Now if I can please” he lifted the cuffs.

“Do you really have to put those on us, I mean we are going willingly. Please let us at least keep some type of dignity.” AJ huffed.

The officers looked at each other “That is fine, let’s go. You get one phone call, once we book you.

Both men flinched at the word ’book’ “I guess this means you didn’t find our accountant.” the officer nodded “He’s probably somewhere in Cancun, scarfing down shrimp and getting loaded on Margaritas. Bastard.” Nick complained.

They were escorted to the police car “Shit!” AJ muttered “I forgot to take the nail polish off” Nick began to laugh out loud. “Not funny I’m going to become someone’s bitch” AJ’s eyes widened.

The rain had subsided and all that was left were puddles of water adorning the city. The twosome looked at each other the events of the hurricane that had destroyed parts of the State came back to mind. “Let’s go this way. I see a hotel from here” Millie said beginning to walk.

“Yeah but there is a motel right down there, without having to go through all those puddles.” he suggested walking the other way.

She sighed heavily, this man was just stubborn. “Look it’s between having two different rooms with a cheap motel or sharing a room again in a nice place. I would rather a nice place, Super 8 smelled like old person.”

Howie chuckled, “Fine, I actually like that idea.” they walked, and walked until they stood in front of the Sheraton. “Ok…lets cross” the twosome stopped to let a big truck go by, before crossing. The truck was going so fast, that as it passed them it hit the puddle in front of them soaking them with dirty water.

Millie’s mouth flew open as she felt the coldness and the bitter taste of water in her mouth “I can’t believe it. That asshole did that on purpose!” she made her hands into a fist and began to hop around like a bunny with rabies.

“Would you calm down. We are here, you can take a shower and put some clean clothes on.” he grabbed her hand and crossed the street. They entered the nice hotel, a shade of red covering their cheeks as the people stared at them. Howie ignored the looks and proceeded to request a room.

“Don’t you ever get mad…explode?” she waited for his answer, her hands holding the dress.

“I do…just not…often.” Both were uncomfortable with their appearance and felt like the woman was taking forever. “Ok, Mr. Dorough…which I must say I’m a big fan of the Backstreet Boys” her eyes glistened as she stared at him, making Millie chuckle.

He shook his head “Oh that’s great.” he looked at the badge on her coat “Thank you Angel!” he responded politely, wanting to snatch the key from her.

“I must say that you are as…cute in person as you are on TV.” she smiled innocently.

Howie just nodded and they headed up to their room. Once there they flipped a coin to see who would shower first. “Yes I won…see ya” she smacked him with the towel and headed off to the bathroom.

After an hour of sitting in silence watching TV, Howie spoke, not noticing that Millie was sound asleep “Listen I’m gonna go check who the hell picked up the car, we need it up and running.” he put on his sunglasses and headed out the door, when he got no response.

Millie awoke abruptly looking around the room, it was completely silent and Howie wasn’t on his bed. Where the hell did this man go? He better not be eating without me. she held her stomach that was already talking to her, pleading for food.

Just as she finished washing her face, she took out her phone and tried calling AJ, but she got his voicemail. There was a timid knock at the door, she opened cautiously “Hey there…” she was startled to see the front desk clerk standing in front of her, a basket in her hand.

“Hi…listen I know this may sound insane. But I have a proposition for you. By the way your not his mistress or new girlfriend right?”

Millie smiled “No, I’m a friend. Actually I’m AJ’s fiancé?”

“He’s straight? He’s just gotten so weird! Nail polish, eyeliner…” she gave Millie a ‘what the hell are you thinking marrying a weirdo’ look.

“He is totally straight! He’s just, Alex…so what is this bargain you got going here. Is that for Howie?” she looked at the basket dangling from the girls hand.

“Oh yeah…it’s part of the bargain. anyways I was thinking that…well I know Howie’s situation right now. “

Millie looked at her confused “What situation?”

“It’s all over TV.” the girl informed as if it was nothing. “The taxes…anyways, in this basket are a couple of tickets to our really awesome Celebration Station, games, go carts, mini golf. Then there is a gift card to one of the…” the girl went on and on.

Howie stood at the front desk “Excuse me, I was wondering my car got stranded on the highway, just before the off ramp. Would you happen to know what auto shop would have picked it up?” he twiddled his fingers, hoping not to be noticed. He knew he wasn’t the most popular, but he always ran the risk of being spotted.

“One minute sir…” the man in the suit walked away. A couple of minutes later he came back “These three shops have tow trucks running that highway.” the man handed him a paper with some scribble and phone numbers on it.

“Thanks” Howie said beginning to dial the numbers, he took a seat on a lobby sofa with a sigh.

AJ hung his head low, resting his elbows on his knees and his hands clasped together. “I can’t take this anymore.”

“I rather be here all year, as long as we don’t have to wear orange jumpsuits.” Nick said pressing his face against the bars. “Guard we still get one phone call.” he yelled, turning to look at AJ “So who you gonna call?”

“Well Howie isn’t answering so probably Millie’s phone. I just wish I could talk to Howie. We need to give him a heads up, plus I need him to do something for me.”

Nick took a seat next to AJ, placing a hand on his back “Well as long as its not your fiancé…girlfriend…friend, whatever she is of yours. “ he shifted uncomfortably, looking over at the mean looking men across from them. In a whisper he spoke “Plus I need to take a piss…and I’m not about to show these weirdo’s my package.”

Just as AJ opened his mouth to respond a guard called out their names, they both leaped off of the hard bench and placed their hands on the bars “You two…get one phone call each.” he let the two slip out of the cell and escorted them towards the phones. “I also wanted to inform you that we are giving your accountant 48 hours to respond to our calls, no response after that…and you two are being transferred to county, don’t worry, your band MATES will meet you later, when we find them. And it will all go public” the officers laughed “Now call!” the officer spoke roughly, and AJ and Nick looked at each other.

“Let me go first.” AJ pleaded holding the top portion of the receiver, Nick gripping the bottom. “Please!”

“Fine! Wait what’s worse, pissing in my pants or showing some big men, that could be fairies my wonka?” Nick leaned against the wall pondering, while AJ dialed, rolling his eyes at his younger band mates stupidity.

“I’ve been everywhere trying to find you” Howie spoke to the Blue Mustang, moving his hand over her smooth surface. He walked over to the attendant under a car “Hello, sorry to bother you, but I’m the owner of the Mustang. I…”

The man slid from under the car and stood up “Oh thought I was gonna get to keep her” the man teased with a heavy accent. “Beautiful car, brand new huh?” Howie nodded “Yeah look I’m a busy man today, I have two more cars ahead of yours. I wont have it ready till tomorrow, looks like the piston in the engine went out.
It’s gonna cost you 400 bucks though.”

Howie sighed hard “It’s a freakin rental…” he nodded, he knew he was on a budget and that his cards wouldn’t work. “Well I’m gonna call the rental place, see what I can do.” he walked outside, running his hand through his hair in frustration, he rummaged his wallet for the reps card. Suddenly the same song he had heard Millie singing earlier that day played on the phone ‘unknown caller’ the phone showed on it’s screen, quickly he answered. “Hello…”

“…Man, we are in fucking jail.” AJ almost yelled over the phone in a freaked out voice.

Howie’s eyes almost popping out of their sockets “What the hell? For what?”

“For prostituting! What do you mean for what? They can’t find that asshole and their giving us two days…two fucking days…or we are going to fucking county and they are going to start looking for you and Brian.”

“Well can’t you guys get bailed out? I mean…damn it!” He leaned against the wall “This sucks! Where is Brian?” he paused “Wait don’t answer that!”

“So, how’s Millie? Has she driven you crazy yet” AJ chuckled.

Howie laughed with his best friend “Almost, you never told me she was so bossy and argumentative. She’s back at the hotel, the car broke down.”

“Ooh…did you get one room? Who cares, listen I need you to do me a favor, this is the only call I can make. First don’t tell her I am here, second well…I need…you to tell her, about the wedding.”

Howie nodded his head, as if AJ could see him “Oh no, I’m not doing your dirty work.”

“Howard Dwaine Dorough, please I need your help. Just tell her nicely…I‘ll deal with her after I‘m out of here.”

“Alexander James Mclean, your gonna make me break her heart.” he groaned “No…this is not a joke“ he heard his friend sigh loud on the line, “…fine, I’ll tell her…” he heard the guard tell AJ his time was up. “Take care man, did you take off the nail polish.”

“…no”

Howie laughed “You’ll be fine…this will hopefully be over soon.” before he could say another word, the phone went silent. They’re dead! What am I going to do…?

Millie paced the lobby, she was hungry, annoyed and impatient. He had been gone for way to long, and she had no idea where he was. What if he left without me cause I annoyed the shit out of him. Millie if only you would talk less. A smile crept over her face as she saw Howie, but her smile turned into a frown as she saw him so gloomy.

“I thought you left me behind” she suddenly gave him a tight hug, he was startled and just uneasily patted her back. “Where were you? It‘s already five o‘clock”

“Oh, I was looking for the car and I found it, but it’s not going to be ready till tomorrow morning and it’s going to cost half of the money we have left. Plus…” he remembered AJ’s request.

“Plus what?” she questioned.

“Well if the rental place’s insurance pays, it will take two weeks and we don’t have that time. AJ said “Hi, and he can’t wait to see you.“ he blurted.

“So you had my phone huh! Thanks, did he say anything else? Is everything ok. You know the Angel girl at the front desk knows about the tax problem. She said it was on the news. Plus she got you a surprise and I want us to use it cause I‘m hungry. Come on!” she pulled him by the arm, outside.

After a nice walk, the sun was almost at rest, a beautiful ray of orange light merged with the blue sky. The twosome sat outdoors at a round table, small lanterns flickering all around. Millie gulped down her food, but Howie only picked at it.

“Is something wrong?” she asked taking a sip of her ice tea. “You’ve been awfully quiet and well you haven’t eaten anything.”

He looked up at her “Oh I don’t have an appetite. I was thinking we should go back to the hotel after this.”

“But…no, we are going to have fun. Not unless there is something your not telling me” she raised her eyebrows at him “Well…if not I have tickets to Celebration Station thanks to Aaannngeelll” she teased with a giggle.

“Ok…we will go.”

They headed to the famous Celebration Station in a shuttle, compliments of the hotel. Millie had him running everywhere from the carousel to the go cart races, which she beat him at. “Ok so I beat you…now not only do you have to sing tomorrow to the ladies in the kitchen, but you have to smooch it to Angel.”

“Why? I don’t smooch with strangers.”

“Stop your whining! Your doing it cause I won. So up for some miniature golf?”

They played until the place closed down and headed back to the motel, they stopped at the lobby. He just kept walking towards the elevator and she followed. It was dead silent in the elevator, until the doors opened and an overly chatty couple entered as they exited.

Howie entered the key and opened the door “Listen I’m just going to go to sleep. I had a great time.” he said sitting on the side of his bed, taking off his shoes. He couldn’t stop thinking of how messed up their situation was, fear nestled in the pit of his stomach, they had already come to an agreement that Unbreakable was the last album, since the fans weren‘t responding like they hoped. But to be accused of purposely not paying their taxes, was just stressing, after that they would seriously not have anymore fans.

“If something is bothering you…you can talk to me. I’m a good listener” Millie sat Indian style on her bed, grabbing her pillow to rest her elbows on. “Is it about Leigh? Come on just talk”

He had really tried to put all his thoughts to the side through out the evening and be cooperative with Millie, but now she was pushing his buttons. “No, I’m just tired, and well things aren’t going as I planned ok.”

“As you planned.” she laughed “You didn’t really plan anything Howie, just to drive remember. So your dumb drive is stalled by a broke down car. It gives you time to do something fun, but your always so negative about everything. What is your problem?” she questioned him aggravated.

He stood up, his face red with anger “You know what I do have a problem!” he almost shouted. She stood on her knees and gave him a look “It’s you…“ he pointed furiously at her, making he flinch “I didn’t think that I would have some girl ringing in my ear all the time. All I wanted was a nice, quiet and peaceful drive home. But nooooo you just yap and yap and get into peoples business. Can’t you ever shut up!” he walked to the bathroom and slammed the door.

The tears nestled in Millies eyes, she didn’t even imagine that she was annoying him, so she was a little pushy sometimes. She thought they were getting along just fine. Well…the nerve. Here I thought I was making him company and he just thinks I’m some annoying girl tagging along. I just wont speak to him then. She wiped the tears from her eyes, turned off the lights and nestled up in her bed.

Now you really did it Howard, just take it out on the bystander. This sucks! You have to go out there and apologize. I’ve been doing a lot of that…lately. He slowly opened the door to find the room dark, he could hear her stifling her cries with a pillow. “Millie…” he whispered “I’m really…”

She sniffled, turning to face him, he could see the tears on her cheeks with the small light coming from the window “Don’t worry about it…I should be the one saying I’m sorry. Just don’t forget about tomorrow at nine in the kitchen.” she laid her head back down.

He slowly laid down, he had never made a woman cry. With the exception of Liegh when he had proposed, but she cried of happiness. He just stared at the ceiling, feeling guilty and not sure how he would face her tomorrow.