- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Hello long time I know. Hope you haven't forgot about the story I will update soon.

As they drove, Millie’s phone began to ring. jumping at the sound, she looked at Howie a concerned look on her face as she muttered “It‘s AJ”. On the other hand Howie swallowed hard, he was hoping that AJ wouldn’t just come out and ask her if he had said anything.

“Hello” Millie answered her voice serious.

“Hey there, how is it going?” AJ asked.

“Oh we are good, finally got a rental and we are on our way to Arizona. How are you?” she giggled and cleared her throat as she gave Howie another guilty look.

“I‘m great just waiting for you guys to get here….so…” an awkward silence was heard on the line. “Uh is Howie around?”

“Yeah…see you soon.” she handed over the phone as Howie parked in a gas station. Hopping out she informed him “Going to the restroom.” and headed off.

Howie thanked god she had left him alone to talk comfortably with his best friend. “Hello…”

“You chicken shit, you didn’t tell her. What the fuck Howie?” AJ insulted at high volume.

Howie stared at the phone as he heard AJ’s voice blazing through the speaker “Hey…it wasn’t the right time ok. Plus I was thinking that it shouldn’t have to be my job to tell her.” now he was mad, the nerve of AJ.

AJ huffed in annoyance with his cowardly friend “I bet you did the other though right?” once again there was silence on the line “Uhuh…you could do that, but you couldn’t mention…”

“Like I told you before, I like her…and I don’t want to be the one to hurt her. So I’m not saying anything, you’ll just have to tell her face to face when we get there. Capiche.” with that Howie pressed the end button, just as Millie made her way back.

She smiled, “Is everything ok?” she asked, looking at Howie’s sour face “You look upset”

“No, I’m good.” he responded cuttingly, starting the car again and resuming their drive.

AJ threw the phone across the room, the phone landing neatly on the couch. “Your lucky that shit fell on the sofa. Sounds like your conversation with Howie was unpleasant?” Nick teased.

“He’s such an asshole. He didn’t even tell her, yet he did sleep with her. I mean…the nerve of him.” AJ paced the living room, his hands on his hips “She didn’t say much either.”

Taking a seat on the sofa Nick ruffled his hair “Listen, what did you want the girl to tell you…you haven’t really called her either. Plus, I think it’s your duty to tell her that your not in love with her and that you don’t want to get married. Not Howie!” He looked up catching a glare from AJ “I’m not done. I also think your extremely hurt and jealous that Howie got something that you weren’t able to get in three whole years.” Nick raised his eyebrows waiting for an answer.

AJ sighed heavily taking a seat next to him “Maybe a little…I wasn’t always a dick with her. I treated her right, I took her to a couple of shows and…”

Nick patted AJ’s back “That wasn’t enough if YOU weren’t there, so Howie beat you to the punch. Does he like her?” AJ nodded “So she is better off. Anyways…changing the subject Mr. Andrews the accountant wants to see us in his office tomorrow to show us the proofs he’s handing over to the IRS. Hopefully with that we are clear and we can have our lives back. Cause, Kevin was trying to show me how to change a diaper…not good!” both laughed

“Your gonna have to some day.” AJ shoved him playfully.

“Come on lets go take a ride in Kevin’s car…I stole the keys.” They snickered making their way towards the door.

For the past hour it was quiet, Howie looked at Millie every so often and sighed with frustration. It was to late if he told her now, he would be the bad guy and he didn’t want to be.

Millie watched the trees and other cars zoom past them, locking eyes with a thoughtful Howie. Wracking her brain, on what could have made him go so quiet. Suddenly on the radio a familiar song began to play “Oh wow, they still play you guys…” she giggled turning the volume up.

“I beg your pardon, we are still loved in some parts of the world.”

“Ok…ok…then sing for me.”

Howie turned to look at her surprised “Sing?” she nodded with a wide grin “I don’t sing unless…”

She giggled “Paid for it…oh come on…!” putting her hands in prayer form she turned to look at him with a pout as AJ’s voice escaped through the speakers. “I’ll pay you later…with something else…better than money.” she giggled at his interest.

Just sing Howie, you can sing. “Fine but you have to sing with me…” he raised an eyebrow with a grin.

She smiled back “Ok…fine…“

The twosome began singing softly just as Kevin’s part came up “Now I can see that we‘re falling apart…from the way that it used to be…no matter the distance I want you to know…that deep down inside of me” they giggled.

As they started on Howie’s part , Millie stopped singing and just watched him intently “You are my fire…the one desire…you are…you are…your cheating…” he teased.

“I want it that way…tell me why” they continued laughing and singing full blast down the highway.

A couple of hours later Millie was sound asleep against the door, while Howie parked into a campsite, a couple of scattered RV’s parked. The sun was starting to go down as she felt the car come to a halt she rubbed the remaining sleep from her eyes and yawned.

“What in the world is this?” she asked getting out of the car to join Howie, who leaned against the SUV’s grill, she looked around at the desert, RV’s, and a couple of vans parked.

Howie gave her a sincere look “I thought we would see the sun go down, soon we’ll be back in California and well…things wont be the same.”

Millie frowned “What do you mean by not the same?” she stood closer to him, still looking in the distance.

He cleared his throat as he turned to face her “You and me…your going to get married to my best friend and well…”

She bit her lip, as she gently placed her finger on his mouth “I’m not going to marry him.” she huffed looking away “He’s just not the guy I want to be with for the rest of my life. He’s…he’s my best friend, and I think that is why we thought that we could go ahead and get married. We were so comfortable together, but there was never the chemistry that counts.” she smiled.

“Millie…I just got out of a divorce, I don’t want to screw up again. Plus I haven’t talked to…” she sadly looked away, but he pulled her back towards him. This time grabbing her by the waist and pushing her against his body. “Please don’t walk away…”

“I guess this was all a big mistake right?”

“No, I never said that…I just…I‘m not sure what is going on” looking into his eyes she leaned in and kissed him, his arms wrapping around her tighter.

They parted and Millie bit her lip again, she felt foolish for thinking that Howie would want something more with her. She hadn’t even remembered that the poor man had just been asked for a divorce, and he wasn’t ready for a new relationship. “I’m sorry…” she walked over and opened the door “I wasn’t even thinking about you and Leigh”

Opening the door, and watching the disappointment in Millie’s eyes. His heart sank, she would surely be hurt if she found out about his arrangements to AJ, however, it was time she knew what was going on with AJ. “Uh…there is something I need to tell you…” he began rubbing his hands together and clearing his throat.

She looked at him startled “What? Is it bad, you look like your about to tell me something bad.”

“I lied to you…” her eyebrows wrinkled with confusion “I should have told you back in Baton…but…AJ and Nick were put in jail for a couple of days”

He heard a gasp from her as she placed her hands over her mouth “Oh my god! I’m so selfish and I’ve been mad at him all these days cause he didn’t call me. But he just couldn’t…I can’t believe that you were so selfish and didn’t tell me. I care about AJ too.”

As they drove deeper into the city, their argument continued “I was not being selfish, I was trying not to worry you. Plus AJ asked me not to tell you.”

Rolling her eyes, she crossed her arms over her chest “Do you do everything he asks of you? Is there anything else that you want to tell me?”

Yes as a matter of fact, almost everything he asks of me. Idiot! “What? No, I just thought I would tell you that.” they pulled up to at Holiday Inn.

Jumping out of the car she made her way inside, Howie trailing behind her. They both stood at the check in counter as they heard whispers and got a couple of glares.

“Hello how can I help you today…oh Mr. Dorough!” the man smiled politely “Uh…they just saw you on TV” he whispered looking at the people staring “Come with me…” fortunately the man was kind enough to escort them to their room without having to wait.

There was utter silence on the elevator and down the hall “Thanks so much, here is my credit card and ID.” they exchanged, the key card for the credit card. “Thanks again.”

The man smiled once again “I’ll send these back up to you once I’m done sir.” and he was off.

Kevin tapped his foot standing in the doorway, like a father scolding his kids he roared “Where the hell were you two? I thought someone stole my truck…then when I notice you two morons missing…yeah I put two and two together.” he raised his bushy eyebrows making Nick and AJ roar in laughter.

“Sorry father, I promise never to do it again.” Nick said handing over the keys to the truck.

AJ entered behind him, Kevin closing the door and following them into the kitchen. “Guys seriously can you ever be responsible. It’s like you two never grow up. Your already in some shit and your still…”

AJ leaned over the island “Oh come on Kevin, whatever is happening is not our fault and quite frankly it sucks.” Kevin just gave him a menacing look “Fine we are sorry, it’s just we are bored and all we did was take it for a spin.”

Nodding his head in frustration Kevin embraced Nick and AJ making them bump heads “Ouch” the two complained at the same time.

“I’m out and I’m taking my keys with me. You should be happy Kristin isn‘t here…she‘d really…” he put the keys in his pockets “Anyways tomorrow we are headed to the store we are gonna have a barbecue sometime this week…get our minds off all this drama.”

“Aw he does love us” Nick teased.

“Good night daddy” AJ added.

“Shut up…” Kevin disappeared leaving Nick and AJ snickering.

Howie turned to look at Millie who had her arms crossed and a really pissed off look on her face. “You gonna stay mad at me…I mean, I didn’t do it to be a dick. Listen AJ was only in there for about two days…he didn‘t call you till today. Doesn‘t that tell you something?”

Millie stood staring at the bed. “There is only one bed” she mumbled looking up at Howie, who had a slight smile on his face. “What is that smile for?”

He snapped out of his trance “What? I wasn’t smiling! I’m just happy we are almost home.” he laid down his arms over his head. “I’m just going to rest a bit.” he said almost instantly closing his eyes.

Millie sat down next to him, watching the sleeping man. She didn’t want to believe the fluttering in her stomach. The unsteady beating of her heart when they locked eyes, she was afraid that maybe it was letting her know that she…was really falling for him. She laid down next to him, using his arm as her pillow. “I love you Howie” she whispered, closing her eyes. Howie instantly moved his arm from under his head, and he squeezed her towards him, making her gasp in surprise as she looked up at him. “I thought you were asleep” she whispered, fighting the urge to run and hide in the bathroom.

Howie smiled, wanting to ignore the flutter in his stomach. It was really easy to grow fond of the woman laying next to him, she was everything he wanted. Leigh had been great, but there was always something that didn’t make them click. “I…I…” he tried getting the words out of his mouth, but the fear of hurting her or himself, just made him stammer.

She shifted to the side and propped herself up on her elbow leaning closer to his face, she could feel his breath against her mouth. “Its okay…you don’t have to say it.” taking his other arm from under his head, he slipped his fingers through her hair and cupped the back of her head, bringing her in for a kiss.

“I can’t do this…” he unexpectedly pulled away and sat up, pinching the bridge of his nose “Millie…” I love you…tell her, tell her you love her too. No don’t!

Millie swallowed the knot in her throat and hugged him from behind. “You don’t have to love me.” she kissed his neck softly as she wrapped her arms around his waist.

With the sensation of her lips brushing against his neck, he closed his eyes. The words he knew she wanted to hear were on the tip of his tongue, but he was a coward. He couldn’t say it. He felt a burst of emotion run through his body, that even gave him chills as she ran her hand over his chest.

He turned abruptly to meet Millie’s teary eyes. She gave him a smile as he kissed each one of her cheeks and then her nose. He feverishly enveloped her mouth, pushing her down on the bed with his weight. She unbuttoned his pants and his shirt and they quickly came off. He pulled up her shirt making a trail of butterfly kisses from her belly button to her breast.

She pulled the shirt over her head as he took one of her breasts in his mouth. Smiling she ran her fingers through his hair as she pulled him up to kiss her again. He held his weight with one hand and with the other unbuttoned her pants and helped her worm her way out of them. Once again they were totally bare, she sighed loudly as she felt him make his way into her, .

After a while of his movements he groaned as he felt himself reaching his peak, she moaned as she wrapped her legs around his waist feeling herself explode with pleasure at the same time he did. He rested on her body, his face against her chest as they both lay out of breath.

For a couple of minutes they laid side by side, there was an uncomfortable silence in the darkness. Just as she was going to face him, he quickly turned to face the wall, giving her his back. Instantly Millie began to sob softly muffling her cries with the pillow. She despised how vulnerable she had become to the sound of his voice, the sensation of his hands, the way he kissed her, and the way he made love…no…the way he had sex with her.