- Text Size +

Nick, Brian, and AJ entered the office and were instantly greeted by Mr. Andrews “Fellas please take a seat. I‘m so sorry about everything that has happened.”

Brian sighed heavily and hastily questioned “Yeah, but I want to know that this is going to be fixed and I can take my family back to our home.”

“Yeah I miss my home and my money” Nick retorted “I was incarcerated…and humiliated and I couldn’t use the bathroom cause I get shy…”

AJ and Brian gave him a ‘that is besides the point’ look “I understand that you are very troubled by all of this and I intend to fix this for you. I have here the copies of the taxes for both years I have made a copy for each one of you. It also has a copy of a letter we made up for the IRS.” Mr. Andrews passed out the large envelopes, looking around “Uh…we have one missing. Who can give this to him?” he held out the last envelope.

“I can…” AJ huffed snatching the envelope from the accountants hands. “So this goes out and how long will it take to clear up?”

The accountant smiled gracefully “Since I have set up an appointment to turn them in personally, I should have you in your homes, and all your accounts cleared, hopefully no longer than three to four days from now, the max. I beg you understand that IRS are error prone too…and this is all a misunderstanding. I am also having a press conference just to clear it up…since it has leaked out. Is there anything else that I can help you with?”

All three guys looked at each other, the realization of the incident being a big misunderstanding settling in. “No sir, and thank you for your patience and help” Brian shook his hand followed by Nick and AJ.

Once out of the office the threesome looked at each other, then Kevin who sat pretending to read a magazine with Mason in his lap, he stood and they all hugged. Just like they had before every concert, when he was still part of them. “How about we get some lunch to celebrate, we’ll all go.” Nick suggested.

“Sounds good to me” AJ responded as they all hopped into Kevin’s truck.

Millie jumped at the knock on the door, swiftly she wiped the tears from her eyes. She had turned on the shower, but had taken a seat on the toilet and had begun to cry.

“Millie…are you ok in there?” Howie sighed, he knew that he had upset her last night, with his coldness after their encounter. The only thing that he could do was push her away, he hadn’t been able to make Leigh happy, what made him think he could make her happy. The thoughts began to clutter his brain, bringing on a headache. “Millie”

After quickly letting the water pour down her body and over her head, she wrapped herself with the towel and glanced at herself in the mirror. Cursing she wiped the last tears from her eyes and opened the door to find Howie leaning against the wall. “What’s all the commotion” she asked quietly.

“I just wanted to know that your ok? I was a jack ass last night.”

“No, you were just being a guy. You didn’t want to do it anyways and I pushed you to. So…” she licked her dry lips and made her way towards the bed. Her breathing was fast and her hands felt shaky.

“Millie…it wasn’t like that. I wanted…I want to…but I can’t. Please understand.” he followed her as she rummaged through her small bag of clothes, her head beginning to spin.

She hated how easily it had become to just burst out in tears “You should have…just said no…but instead you…did your deed…and made me feel so fucking…insignificant.” she choked on her tears as she covered her face.

Howie fought the urge to take her in his arms and comfort her. “…I’m sorry” he whispered “I’ll be in the car” he exited the room.

Three long hours had gone by and not a word had been spoken. Howie glanced over at her, but all he saw was an inconsolable Millie, with an occasional tear sliding down her cheek. He wanted her to smile again, but all she did was lean against the door, her head resting on the window and her eyes fixed on the highway ahead.

Millie detested how he kept looking her way. All she wanted was to yell at him to keep his eyes on the road. Sighing hard she remembered what awaited her, a man that thought he was going to marry her, but this whole trip had brought her to the conclusion that she didn’t want to marry him. AJ was a great guy, he made her laugh, he was a great kisser…and he…he…she turned to glance at Howie. It was really all his fault she was having second thoughts, he had opened her eyes to the kind of man she really wanted.

Suddenly she felt the car begin to spin, gripping the door handle tightly she tried to make it stop. Her ears began to ring uncontrollably and her stomach was churning with force, making her heave. She felt her body so limp she lost grip of the handle and turned to face Howie again “I need to throw up” she stuttered “Please stop”

“Hold on” Howie turned to look at her, the color had drained from her face. Stopping at a busy gas station he whirled into a parking lot towards the back of the station.

“I can’t move” she yelped almost in a slur as she slouched in her seat.

Howie jumped out of the car and flung the door open, picking her up and hoisting her against his body and holding her by the waist. “Ok Millie, you wont make it to the bathroom so we are going back here.” he held her from behind as he felt her stomach push with each spew.

Millie tried gaining her balance as she felt him leaning her against the wall, she felt the side of his hand brush against her cheek as he moved her hair out of the way. “Millie are you ok? Please tell me your ok” she heard his voice, but the ringing in her ear overpowered it. Losing her balance again, he caught her and helped her to the car.

“I need water please” she looked up at him, her eyes were droopy and the sadness still lingered in them.

He shook his head and made his way into the store, grabbing whatever he thought might make her feel better “Excuse me…is there a doctors office or hospital around here?” he asked the cashier.

The cashier thought for a second “Oh yes, keep going straight till you hit the third light, there’s a hospital there.” Howie paid and thanked the man. His eyes flew open as he found Millie struggling not to fall out of the car and traces of her being sick again.

“I still feel sick…Howie…” she held on to him tight as he helped her back into the car and helped her sip on some water. Everything was still spinning and the humming in her ears was getting louder.

“I’m taking you to the hospital” he closed her door and then hopped into his seat. Zooming out of the gas station he sped through the green lights until he reached the emergency room. Shifting the car into park he flew over to her side, struggling to take her out and almost dragging her weak body into the ER. Quickly they came to her aide, watching as they wheeled her down the hall gave him a sudden chill.

Howie watched the doctor make his way towards him, the man had a smile on his face. “Howie…” he heard him ask, instantly standing up.

“Yes that’s me doctor” he stuffed his hands in his pockets, hoping it would keep him from fidgeting with his fingers. “Is she ok?” he asked concern in his voice.

The doctor gave him a wide smile “Why yes…she’s just fine. They are fine!” he patted Howie’s shoulder.

Howie wrinkled his eyebrows in confusion “They? I’m confused!” he stated

“She’s just got the case of morning sickness which happens at anytime really. Your gonna be a father…a father…a father…you ok Howie…Howie” he heard the doctor yell.

Howie jerked his eyes open and found himself in front of a doctor who asked him once more “Are you Howie…friend of Millie?”

He sighed with relief, noticing he was only dreaming “Yes doctor. Is she ok?” he asked, his heart was racing, afraid to hear the doctors answer.

“She’s fine…just had vertigo. Seems to have an ear infection, which causes the ears to ring, dizziness, nausea, weakness in the body. I gave her a prescription for some antibiotics.” he smiled at the concern on Howie’s face “Really she’s good. It’s a common thing, just has nasty symptoms. She should be good to go, once she finishes up her IV. You are welcome to see her, she‘s in room 6.”

Howie shook the doctors hand “Thank you doctor” the doctor nodded his head and walked down the hallway. Slowly making his way towards the room, Howie stopped at the door. He could hear the beeping of the machines and it hurt deep in his heart to see her laying in the bed with her eyes closed. He walked in and stood next to her “Millie?” he uttered.

She opened her eyes, and couldn’t help but smile at the sight of his face. She felt him lean over and suddenly he was embracing her. Taking in his scent she closed her eyes and smiled. “I’m ok” she said her voice a little hoarse, he slipped his hand into hers entwining his fingers with hers.

“Oh Millie, you scared me. I thought you were…” he cupped her face in his hands and leaned down to kiss her. “I’m sorry for being such an asshole.”

A couple of hours later Howie felt the soreness in his body. He opened his eyes and found himself curled up on a rather hard chair. He stretched his arms out and found Millie sitting on her bed, with her clothes on. Her cheeks were rosy and she wore a smile on her face. “I thought I would let you rest. We still have about five hours left.” He smiled and took her hand in his and they both exited the room.