- Text Size +
Tina sat on the couch in A.J.’s house. She felt a little uncomfortable as she watched Katinka walk across the living room to A.J. She glanced back over at Tina and gave her a sarcastic smile as she wrapped her arms around A.J. He looked at Katinka and kissed her. Katinka gave him an evil grin and slipped her tongue in his mouth. Tina felt sick just watching the whole thing. A.J. smiled at Katinka and tapped her on the butt.

“You’re awfully affectionate today,” ‘he said.

“It’s only because I love you,” she replied with an obviously fake smile.

A.J. looked at her for a moment and shook his head. He drew his attention over to the front door as Nick and Brian came in with boxes in their arms.

“That’s the last of it,” Nick said.

“Great,” A.J. said with a smile. “Just put them up in the guest room,” he said as he sat down beside Tina. “So, I was thinking we should have a BBQ tonight.”

“Alex, you don’t have to do that on my account,” Tina said.

“Nonsense,” A.J. said. “What do you say, guys?”

“About what?” Nick asked as he came back into the living room.

“BBQ here tonight.”

“Sounds good,” Nick said. “I’ll bring Shae.”

“She’s back in town?” Brian asked.

“Yeah, I’m picking her up at the airport,” Nick said as he checked his watch. “Actually, I should go now if I want to get there on time. What time should we come back here?”

“Around sixish,” A.J. said.

“Great, I’ll see you guys later,” Nick said then left.

Kevin smiled and clapped his hands together. “Well, I’ll go home and round up my woman. We’ll come by. There better be some wings for me,” he said with a smile.

“Of course,” A.J. said with a laugh.

“We’ll be back later too,” Brian said. “Let’s go, D.”

“Later, guys,” A.J. said then looked back at Tina. “Well, I think we’re going to get things ready for the BBQ. You’re free to hang out in here or go upstairs. Whatever you want.”

Tina let out a sigh of relief. “Actually, I’m kind of tired. I think I’ll take a nap for a couple of hours. If I’m not up by 5:30, will you wake me?”

“Of course,” A.J. said with a smile. “Get some rest and we’ll see back down here in a couple of hours.”

“Thanks,” Tina said then made her way upstairs.

As soon as she laid on the bed, she realized how tired she was. Her eyes became very droopy and she fell asleep almost instantly. She found herself refreshed after two hours of sleeping. Tina rolled over and glanced at the time on her cell phone. She had enough time to take a quick shower before everyone arrived. When she finished showering, she came downstairs to find Katinka in the kitchen, pouring a bag of chips into a bowl. She glanced at Tina and gave her a sarcastic smile. Tina ignored it and stepped outside where A.J. was firing up the grill. Nick had already arrived and was sitting at the patio table with a pretty brunette.

“Well, she’s awake,” A.J. said with a smile. “How’d you sleep?”

“Like a baby,” she replied.

“Good,” A.J. said. “Oh, Tina, this is Shae, Nick’s other half.”

Tina smiled and extended her hand out to Shae. “Nice to meet you.”

“You too!” she said enthusiastically.

“Have a seat,” Nick said as he moved his feet out of the chair.

“Thanks,” she replied. “A.J. you should be careful with that grill. Don’t set yourself on fire,” she joked.

“You shut up,” he said with a grin. “I know what I’m doing.”

“Right,” she said with a laugh.

Nick stood up. “I’m getting a drink. Anyone want anything?”

“Coke for me, babe,” Shae said.

“Tina?”

“Um, just water, thanks.”

“Okay,” Nick said then went inside.

The night went on and Tina was a little shy around everyone. After her long and emotionally tiring day, she relaxed by the pool with her soda. She heard the sound of a lawn chair being scraped across the deck. She glanced over to her left and saw Shae moving her chair over.

“Hi,” she said.

“Hi,” Tina replied.

“Why are you sitting here all by yourself?”

“Just thinking,” she said as she glanced across the pool at A.J. and Katinka. “What’s with Alex and that…bitch?”

Shae snickered. “Nick calls her She devil.”

“What’s her deal?”

“She’s a gold digging whore,” Shae replied bluntly. “That’s putting it nicely.”

“Why is he with her? He can’t be happy with her.”

“Oh, you know how A.J. is. He thinks he has to have a woman all the time. Even if it means putting himself through hell.”

“She’s a fucking plastic doll.”

“Well, I can give you one piece of advice.”

“What’s that,” Tina asked.

“Watch your back around her,” she said then got up to join Nick.