- Text Size +
It had been over a year since Rachel had seen her best friend Vanessa. They grew up in their hometown of Reading, Pennsylvania and had known each other since kindergarten. The two remained inseparable until college where Rachel got accepted into the University of Tampa and made a life of her own in Tampa. They saw each other on holidays and in the summer but the time had finally come for Vanessa to join Rachel in Florida. Rachel had been dating AJ McLean for almost three years and he’d been pressuring her to move in with him but she refused. She wasn’t ready for a live in relationship, especially when he was never home. It only made sense for her to live on her own. AJ decided on a compromise and bought her a small house in Tampa located in a gated community for privacy. After he bought the house, he suggested for Vanessa to be his roommate. It made him feel better that she wasn’t alone while he was on the road. The plan was perfect and Rachel wouldn’t be more thrilled. She had been worried about Vanessa ever since she broke up with her boyfriend last year. He left an empty hole in her heart and it made her sad to see her best friend in so much pain. She was hoping that by being in Florida she could start a new life and get rid of all the bad memories that lingered behind. It was the perfect time to have Vanessa move in with her.

Rachel waited at the terminal for Vanessa to get off her plane. According to the schedule, she should be arriving at any moment. The announcement for the plane was called over the intercom so she rushed over to catch her at the entrance. She looked around, standing on her tip toes to see over people's heads and no sign of Vanessa anywhere. Rachel frowned as she moved over to the left side of the crowd, politely making her way through the line of people. Finally, she spotted Vanessa coming toward her. With a squeal of excitement, she jumped up and down as she made her way over to Vanessa.


"Vanessa! Over here!" she shouted as she kept running.


"Rachel!" Vanessa said as she dropped her carry on and stretched out her arms.


Rachel squealed as she reached out and hugged Vanessa. "Oh, I'm so glad to see you! I was so worried you weren't gonna get here okay."


Vanessa laughed. "Rach, you worry too much, girl,” she said as she stepped back and smiled widely.


"I know, I do, but that's my job,” Rachel said with a smile. “Did you have any other luggage?”

“Yeah, I’ve got one more bag waiting for me in baggage claim,” she said as she picked up her carry on and swung it over her shoulder, following Rachel to the baggage claim. "Did all my stuff get shipped to your place okay?" she asked as she grabbed a blue suitcase from the conveyer belt.


"Yeah, it all arrived yesterday. I put everything in your room, but I didn't put anything away. I figured I'd let you do that,” Rachel replied as she pulled her key out of her pocket and lead the way to the parking lot.


"Cool," Vanessa said with a smile. "So, what have you been doing these past couple of days? We really didn't get to talk because I was trying to get packed up and ready to move in with you here in Florida."


"I haven't really been doing anything. Alex's been busy with the new album. So I've been pretty bored," Rachel replied as she stopped to look both ways before crossing the parking lot to the short term parking.


"Ah, so you're still with AJ?"

Rachel nodded, as she clicked the button for her car to unlock. “Yeah, we’re working through it all.”

"That's great. I know you guys were having problems last month," Vanessa replied as she waited for Rachel open the trunk.


Rachel rolled her eyes. "Don't remind me,” as she lifted the trunk. “That was the month from hell. Everything would've been fine if he hadn't been acting like a prick."


Vanessa laughed as she set her bags in the trunk and shut it. "Well, I'm just glad you two worked things out. You were driving me nuts with the phone calls."


Rachel laughed. "I know, but you're my best friend I had to tell you all about it,” she said as she moved around to the driver’s seat. “We’re not far from the house. I figure we’d chill there for a while. I think Alex will be around later.”

“Sounds perfect,” Vanessa said as she settled into the passenger seat and put on her seatbelt. “I’m starving too.”

“I figured you would be,” Rachel said with a chuckle, turning on the ignition. “I bought some groceries and stocked up. We can make some lunch.”

“You’re awesome,” Vanessa stated with a grin.

“I know,” Rachel retorted with a smirk as she pulled out of the parking lot and headed toward the house.

Within a few minutes, they pulled up to the gate of the community and Rachel used her card to get inside the gate. She turned to the right and slowly made her way up to a brick house with a very well kept yard. Slowly pulling into the driveway, she put the car into park and turned off the ignition.

“This is it. Home sweet home,” she said as she undid her seatbelt and opened the car door.

"This is our house?” Vanessa said with wide eyes as she got out to take a look at the outside. “This is nice!”


"Yeah, it’s really cute inside too. Come on, grab your stuff I'll show you around," Rachel said as she opened the trunk and grabbed the big suitcase.

Vanessa grabbed her carry on and pulled it over her shoulder as she followed Rachel to the front door. She unlocked the door and grinned as she turned to face Vanessa.

“Welcome home!” she said as she stepped inside.


Vanessa looked around at the beautifully decorated house, her mouth slightly gaping open. "Oh, my gosh, this is beautiful! How did you get this?"


"Alex had it built for me. Well, for us actually. He knew you were coming up so he had it arranged. I decorated it myself and he took care of the rest. What do you think?”


"Wow, this is really nice. I think I'm gonna like living here in Tampa," Vanessa exclaimed as she looked around the living room.


"You haven't seen the rest of it yet. Come on," Rachel said as she grabbed Vanessa's hand and led her up the stairs. "This is my room. I know it's kind of messy right now, but I normally keep the door shut. Alex is over a lot so this is kinda both mine and his' room,” she said as she gestured to the open door of the bedroom before leading her down the hall. “Next door is your room," she said as she opened the door. "I didn't know how you wanted your room set up so I just kinda shoved everything in here so you could fix it up how you wanted it. I figured you’d like your bed away from the window so you can see the view. I can help you unpack when you’re ready."


"This is great. I can tell it's gonna be fun living here," Vanessa said as she set her suitcase on the bed and observed the boxes stacked by the wall.


"Now all you need is a man to hang out with when I'm not around," Rachel said with a grin as she plopped onto the bed.


"Oh, no, I don't think so," Vanessa said as she opened her suitcase and started putting clothes in her closet.


"Aw come on, Nessa. It's been over a year since you've been with a guy. I think you've been single long enough. Besides I thought the whole purpose of this move was to give you a clean slate on life and start over."


"Rach, I'm just not ready to just jump into a relationship."


"I didn't say you had to jump into a relationship but I do think you need to go out and meet some guys. There are some really sweet guys around here. You need to give them a chance."


"Forget it, guys are scum," Vanessa said angrily as she grabbed some more clothes from her suitcase.


"Oh, my god, I can't believe you're still mad over your last relationship. Hon, you really need to let that go."


"Rachel, you weren't there. You have no idea how much he hurt me," Vanessa replied with a frown as she shoved the clothes on some shelves in the closet.


"Yes, I do. I'm the one you always called every time you guys got into an argument. Believe me, I know how badly he hurt you, but you can't let one guy ruin your whole perspective on guys. Not all guys are pricks. I mean, take a look at me and Alex. He has his moments when he's a jerk and that's normal. But when he's not being a prick he's the sweetest guy. You just have to figure out the good guys from the lemons."


Vanessa shook her head as she went back to her suitcase, pulling out her under garments, placing them in the dresser. "Rachel, you know I love you and all. You're my best friend, but I don't want to date guys right now."


"Fine, but don't whine to me when you're lonely and wishing for a guy."


"Don’t worry, I won’t," Vanessa replied as she shut her suitcase.


“You are far too stubborn for your own good,” Rachel replied as she heard her cell phone ringing in her pocket. Glancing at her phone she smirked as she got off the bed. “It’s Alex. I’ll be right back,” she said as she exited the room, answering the call as she walked down to her own bedroom and shut the door. “Hey, baby.”


"Hey, there, sexy," said AJ.


Rachel smiled at the sound of his raspy voice. “What’s up?"


"Nothing much. We're on break right now and I thought I’d check in with you. Did Vanessa get there yet?"


"Yeah, I just got back from picking her up at the airport. Did you talk to the guys about the welcome party for her?"


“Everything's all set. Everyone’s coming to the house around eight. I’ll be by early to help with the food and stuff.”


"Great, now I have to figure out how to get Vanessa out of the house for a few hours so we can get prepared for the party."


"I'm sure you'll come up with something,” AJ replied with a chuckle. “Well, sweets, I need to get going. We're about to do some more recording. I'll see you tonight."


"All right, baby. I’ll see you later."

“I love you,” he said softly.

Rachel smiled as her cheeks burned a little. “I love you too,” she said then hung up before walking back to Vanessa's room. "Hey, Vanessa, you know what you should do?"


"What's that?"


"You should go shopping for some new clothes."


"That would be fun, but I don't really feel like it," she said as she peeked into a box that was sitting beside the bed.


"Why not?"


"Because I don't have any money right now. I haven't gotten a job yet."


“And that’s what I’m here for,” Rachel said with a grin. “I’ll lend you a little bit and you can pay me back when you get your first paycheck.”

"I can't take your money, Rachel," Vanessa said quietly.


"Yes, you can. Honey, I'm looking at your clothes and they're all too warm for Florida. You need some summer clothes,” Rachel said as she went to her room and returned with a fifty and a set of car keys in her hand, pushing them towards Vanessa. “Take the money and get yourself something nice,” Rachel said as she handed them to Vanessa. "Your old car's sitting in the garage. I didn't need it anymore after I found my own vehicle. By the way, thanks for letting me borrow it to move down here."


Vanessa laughed and shook her head. "You're welcome, but why do I get the feeling that you're trying to get rid of me?"


"I'm not trying to get rid of you. Don't be silly. I just want you to have some fun. Now go shopping," Rachel said as she urged Vanessa downstairs toward the garage.


“I just got here, Rach. I can always go shopping later,” Vanessa argued as she tried to keep Rachel from pushing her.

“Girl, you will burn up in those clothes. Go get some cute tank tops or something,” Rachel said as she shoved Vanessa out to the garage, clicking on the button to open it.

“What are you gonna do while I’m gone?” Vanessa asked suspiciously.

“I’ll figure out something for dinner and maybe unpack a couple boxes for you.”

“But why aren’t you coming with me?” Vanessa questioned as she placed her hands on her hips.

“Because Alex will be by in a bit and I don’t wanna miss him,” she said as she matched Vanessa’s position by placing her hands on her own hips. “Stop stalling and go shopping.”

“Okay…,” Vanessa mumbled as she stepped over to the car and opened the driver’s door. “I won’t be gone long.”

“Take all the time you need,” Rachel said with a grin, waving at her. “See you get back.”

Vanessa raised her brow at her best friend’s strange behavior and got into the car, turning the ignition while still staring down Rachel standing in front of the car with a grin. Rachel knew Vanessa wasn’t fully buying this charade but as long as it was enough to get her out of the house then she was satisfied with the result. Rachel waved as Vanessa put the car in reverse and drove down the street. As soon as she saw that the car was gone she ran back into the house and got ready for the party.