- Text Size +
Chapter 2


Nick stood by the bench frowning as he watched Rachel leave. He wasn’t ready to let her go but she was about to walk out of his life forever. The thought of never seeing her again was too much for him to handle. Get a grip Nick! he thought, but he couldn’t ignore the feeling. She had been a ray of sunlight bursting through the dark thoughts that clouded his brain.

Nick ran to catch up with her and when she looked back she was surprised, but excited, to see him. Nick gulped back the butterflies in his stomach and smiled nervously as he said, “I just realized I haven’t eaten all day and I’m starving. You want to get something to eat?” and then held his breath as he waited anxiously for Rachel’s answer.

Rachel looked him over curiously for a moment and then smiled. “You like Mexican?”

After another short walk, Nick examined the restaurant Rachel had taken him to, trying to decide if the little whole in the wall classified as fast food or a sit down restaurant. Rachel saw him looking around and assured him, “Best burritos in town.”

Nick wasn’t worried about the food not being good. He was actually looking forward to trying it. Usually he was dragged to the most luxurious places in LA. He never got the chance to eat “normal” food. He smiled in response and then removed the dark glasses he’d been wearing.

He’d nearly forgotten that he was famous and was at risk of being recognized. Somehow, at this moment, he felt every bit as normal as the woman sitting across from him. He watched his new friend carefully as she placed her son, who was now awake, in a high chair. “What’s the little guy’s name?” he asked as she helped the child sip from a straw.

Rachel looked up to see Nick smiling. “The smile suits you,” she teased.

“Kids are fun.”

“Yeah they are fun,” Rachel agreed as she tussled the toddler’s hair, “but they’re a lot of work; and his name is Spencer.”

“Hey Spencer,” Nick greeted.

Nick laughed when the little boy held out his hand for a hi-five. Nick shook his head and then showed the little boy a cooler looking secret handshake. When he was finished, Spencer erupted into a fit of laughter causing Nick and Rachel to giggle as well. “He likes you,” Rachel said.

“What’s not to like?”

“Really though, you’re pretty natural with him. Do you have kids of you own?”

“God no,” Nick laughed. “Playing with them and taking care of them are way different. My best friend has one a little older than yours though, so I’m used to being around them.”

Nick looked at the small boy and drifted off into thought. He was blown away at the idea of having a family of his own. His eyes grew wide and he let out a long sigh. “You’ve got to be close to the same age as me,” he said, “I can’t imagine having a kid of my own. I can’t even keep a girlfriend.”

Nick’s smile faded and his mind began to wander. “Ah, so its women troubles we’re having today, is it?” Rachel asked seeing the change.

Nick forced a smile. Normally this would be the part where he would clam up and say everything was fine when it wasn’t, but he found himself wanting to talk about it. Rachel was surprised when he opened up to her. “Sort of,” he confessed, “but a little more complicated than that.”

“How can anything be more complicated than women?”

This comment made Nick laugh. He’d often wondered the same thing, but never thought he’d see the day when a woman admitted to it. He relaxed a bit and all of the sudden just spilled everything that was on his mind. “Things didn’t end well with my last girlfriend,” he explained. “She broke my heart and destroyed my self confidence in the process. Now I'm having trouble in every aspect of my life, not just in dating. My family life has never been great so I have kind of thrown myself into my work and now I am having a hard time there too.”

“That’s got to be rough. That kind of stress can give a person a heart attack.”

“Or panic attacks,” Nick replied.

“Is that what happened today? Is that why you were sitting all by yourself in the cold for hours?”

Nick shrugged as he fiddled nervously with his sunglasses. “My best friend wanted to set me up with a blind date for this thing I’m supposed to be at tonight. I’m the only one going without a date. Anyway, we ended up getting in a big fight and then I started to panic. I didn’t want anyone to see me like that so I just left. I know he was just looking out for me, but ever since he got married and had a kid things have been different between us. He treats me like a kid. They all do. I didn’t need a father or a big brother today, I needed a friend.”

Nick dropped his glasses. His hands were shaking and he was quickly beginning to get very upset again so Rachel reached across the table and took his hands in hers. “Hey,” she said making eye contact with him, “you found one.”

Nick stared into Rachel’s eyes until his breathing slowed again. His eyes were glossy but he didn’t shed any tears. He was truly mystified by her kindness. This woman had gone out of her way to make him feel better and she didn’t even know who he was. After so many years in the entertainment business, Nick didn’t realize that people could be nice without expecting something in return. He wondered why someone would be so nice to a complete stranger and felt sort of bad knowing that, if it were him, he probably wouldn’t be.

Nick looked down at the way Rachel’s hand covered his and he felt an odd tingle in her touch, however the moment was soon interrupted. Rachel let go of Nick’s hands as a waitress placed their food in front of them. Feeling a bit awkward after the connection, Nick looked down at his plate and laughed. “That’s the biggest burrito I’ve ever seen.”

“Its not about the size,” Rachel teased. “It’s all about the taste.”

Nick laughed again and tasted his burrito while Rachel cut up a plate for Spencer, who received the food gladly. Nick immensely enjoyed the sloppy plate of food. He didn’t know why, but for once he wasn’t worried about the calories that were in the cheese that was layered on top. He wasn’t worried about what he might look like if he finished off the entire thing. Rachel had ordered something just as greasy and if she wasn’t worried about it, then neither was he. Nick savored every last bite, and even washed it down with a coke that wasn’t diet. When the waitress brought him a refill on his drink she shyly asked in broken English, “Excuse me, but you that Backstreet Boy?”

Instinctively Nick nodded his head. “My daughter is big fan,” the waitress explained. “She never believe me when I tell her.”

Nick smiled at the waitress and pulled a napkin from the holder on the table. “Do you have a pen?”

Rachel watched curiously as Nick asked her daughter’s name and happily signed an autograph. He complimented the woman on the excellent burrito and made her blush. After thanking him repeatedly, the woman walked back to the kitchen and it wasn’t until she was gone that Nick looked at Rachel in a panic, wondering how he would explain himself. He couldn’t help but feel a little disappointed that the truth had come out. He opened his mouth to explain but no words came out. “So that’s why you seemed familiar,” Rachel said with a gentle smile.

“Sorry,” Nick replied.

“For what?”

Nick suddenly realized he couldn’t answer her. He actually wasn’t sure why he apologized. “I don’t know,” he shrugged, “I guess for not telling you sooner.”

Rachel laughed. “It’s all right. We met like an hour ago. We hadn’t gotten to that conversation yet. I haven’t told you what I do either.”

“That’s right. You haven’t. What exactly is it that you do?” Nick said happy to change the subject for the time being.

“I’m a doctor.”

“A doctor? Wow!”

“Well sort of,” Rachel said. “You have to suffer through residency for a few years before they trust you on your own. I’m kind of like a junior doctor.”

“Still, even a junior doctor is very cool.”

“Yeah, tell that to my boss. Resident is kind of another word for pee-on.”

Nick laughed. He was relieved that Rachel let him get away with not talking about his career. Most people don’t and he’d been dreading having to tell her what he did for a living. Most times when he met someone who didn’t know who he was, they would get all weird when they found out. This was the first time that anyone had been able to treat him like a normal person knowing who he was, aside from other celebrities. In fact, it was still a little hard for him to believe, and he wondered why she hadn’t asked him about it. He sat there for a moment studying Rachel until she glanced at her watch. “So if you walked out after a fight earlier, do you think they have sent out a search party for you by now?” she asked.

Nick looked at his watch, “Oh my gosh, is it really 4:00?”

“Are you late for something?”

“Not yet,” Nick said. “But they probably have unleashed the hounds by now.”

“Well I shouldn’t keep you any longer then,” Rachel said, wiping the hands and face of her little messy eater.

Nick frowned. She hadn’t been keeping him at all. It was actually the other way around and he worried maybe that was her way of politely telling him to get lost. His insecurity grew rapidly as Rachel buckled Spencer back in the stroller. Nick insisted on paying the check, saying it was the least he could do for Rachel’s kindness to him, but when he reached in his pocket for his phone to call a cab, he realized that he had left in such a rush that he forgot to take his phone with him. “I’m sorry,” he said feeling a little stupid, “do you have a cell phone on you? I sort of left without mine.”

“I haven’t got one with me but I live like 2 blocks from here. If you want to walk me home you’re more than welcome to it,” Rachel suggested.

Nick was excited by the invitation. He’d convinced himself that she was blowing him off but she surprised him by inviting him home. “Anything to escape reality for a few more minutes,” he sighed.

Once outside the restaurant, Nick put his sunglasses on but then took them back off. The days had begun to get shorter and even though it was only four, the sun was already starting to get low in the sky. The wind had kicked up a little and it had turned quite cold outside. While Rachel made sure Spencer was properly bundled, Nick noticed that Rachel had no jacket and he promptly took his off and placed it around her shoulders as she tucked an extra blanket around the baby. Rachel took a deep breath, inhaling the sweet smell of Nick’s jacket and then stood up. She was about to protest until she saw that Nick had been wearing about three layers under his jacket. He frowned when smirked at his outfit. “Southern California too cold for you?” she teased.

“Cut me some slack. I didn’t dress myself this morning.”

Rachel laughed. “Wow, you weren’t kidding when you said you get treated like a child.”

“We were shooting a video this morning.”

“I see. Well in that case, thanks for the jacket,” she said, zipping it shut.

Nick stepped behind the stroller offering to push it for her. “Shall we?”

Rachel smiled as Nick began happily pushing the baby. He followed Rachel’s lead pushing the stroller in the direction of Rachel’s house. “Thanks again,” he said.

“It’s no big deal,” Rachel replied.

“No, it is. You really helped me today. That doesn’t happen often.”

“You’re famous,” Rachel laughed, “I’m sure people help you all the time.”

“It’s different when they’re getting paid to do it. You helped me just because you wanted to.” Nick glanced down at the little boy in the stroller avoiding Rachel’s eyes. “That means a lot.”

“Well I’m glad I helped, and if I had any friends, I’d help you find a date for your thing tonight, but I’m kind of new in town, so I don’t really know anyone yet.”

Nick smirked as he thought of all the names in his little black book that would leave their boyfriends for a chance to go out with him. “Believe me, if I wanted a date, I’d have one already, but thanks for the thought.”

“You don’t really need a date, do you?”

“I’m going to the American Music Awards. It’s kind of expected.”

“Why don’t you just take a friend?”

“It’s hard to make a public appearance with a friend.”

“Why?”

“Rumors mostly,” Nick sighed.

“What?” Rachel asked confused.

“If you’re seen with a guy, you’re automatically gay. And if you bring a girl, well, that usually means you’re engaged or she’s pregnant or something like that. It’s awkward.”

“It’s just a rumor. If you’re just friends, what does it matter if people speculate? You know the truth.”

Nick shook his head, “When are a guy and a girl ever just friends?”

“You may have a point,” Rachel said. She thought for a minute and laughed. “Unless it’s two people like us.”

“What do you mean?” Nick asked.

“Well,” Rachel said with a shrug, “We’ve both been burned. Neither of us are looking to do it again any time soon so there isn’t any danger of one of us falling for the other.”

“You’re a single mom?” Nick blurted out and then blushed.

Nick immediately felt for her. He couldn’t imagine having to raise a child on his own. His mind filled with all kinds of sad tales. She was smiling, but there was a bitter undertone in her voice that hinted of a very painful past. Rachel smiled, letting Nick know it was OK, “Yup,” she said with a sigh, “and I can promise you I will not be getting into another relationship any time soon, maybe ever.”

Nick smiled sadly at Rachel. Whatever she’d been through had obviously been rough. His heart reached out for her and he bonded to her. It was like she understood him when everyone else in the world thought he was crazy. They shared a common secret pain. It’s true what they say, that misery loves company, and suddenly Rachel seemed like the perfect solution to his dilemma.

Nick stopped walking as he began to mull the possibility. Rachel took a few more steps before she realized Nick had stopped walking. She turned around to see him staring at her curiously. “Why don’t you come with me tonight?” Nick asked.

Rachel laughed at the idea. “I can’t go to the American Music Awards,” she said and then laughed again.

“But you just said rumors wouldn’t bother you.”

“They wouldn’t,” Rachel said still laughing.

Nick was confused and he most definitely was not laughing. “Then why not?” he asked.

Rachel stopped laughing but there was still a smile on her face. “Are you serious?”

“I’m totally serious.”

Rachel shook her head trying her hardest not to laugh again. “Me? Go to the AMA’s? Walk the red carpet?” Rachel couldn’t hold back her laughter anymore.

“Come on. It could be fun. We’ll get you all glammed up. I’ll introduce you to the rest of the guys.”

Rachel looked at Nick pondering the idea. Nick stared right back challenging her with his eyes. “What am I supposed to do with Spencer?”

“We’ll get a sitter.”

“But I don’t have a thing to wear,” Rachel continued to protest.

“Minor detail,” Nick said. “Please? You said you wanted to help.”

Nick found himself almost perky, which was a feeling he couldn’t remember feeling in a very long time. He was slowly starting to look forward to a night among the stars if he could share it with someone like Rachel and he decided he was absolutely not going to accept no for an answer.