- Text Size +
Chapter 4


Rachel and Nick walked slowly up the red carpet, stopping every few steps to pose for the cameras. Nick never let go of Rachel’s hand except when the guys posed together without their dates. Nick was very proud of his escort and would have loved to show her off, but he could see that she was still a little nervous, so he did his best to keep her out of the spotlight. She may have said that rumors wouldn’t bother her, but Nick knew better. No one ever thinks the rumors will bother them until something very hurtful is said, which always happens eventually. If anyone asked, he simply introduced her as his friend Rachel.

Although he was all smiles for the camera, Nick was still very uncomfortable around the other guys. Rachel watched him carefully. After having seen the real Nick, Rachel realized that the Nick the world knew was completely an act. Rachel could tell that Nick, the real Nick, needed her. She could tell by the way he looked at her and in the tenderness of his touch, that Nick Carter was drowning in his world and wanted desperately to jump ship. Rachel knew that feeling better than anyone else on the planet. By moving to LA Rachel had jumped her own ship and was now treading water. She too felt the connection Nick felt, and thought he might just be the lifeboat she’d been waiting for.

Nick caught her staring at him and the look on her face as she studied him stayed with him. He’d never been looked at like that before and he wondered what it meant. Usually women looked at him very dreamily or lustful, but that wasn’t what was going through Rachel’s mind. Her look was very pensive, and seemed almost sad and distant, yet she was smiling very sincerely.

Nick made a mental note to ask her about it. He’d never been one to wonder about thoughts and feelings, but then he’d never met someone whose thoughts and feelings were such a mystery. In Nick Carter’s world women only wanted three things from him, fame, fortune and sex. Rachel didn’t seem to want any of those things. At least it didn’t appear that way yet.

Once inside, all the celebrities seemed a lot more relaxed. Everyone fell into random circles of conversation. Rachel looked around at all the people and thought that the scene reminded her of a high school reunion or some fancy office party. Everyone was being extremely friendly and yet not the least bit sincere, the Backstreet Boys more than anyone. Rachel couldn’t help but feel out of place as she tried her best to avoid their stares. When they were safely out of earshot, Nick smiled nervously at Rachel. “You don’t seem to be enjoying yourself,” he said.

“I don’t think your friends like me too much.”

Nick followed Rachel’s gaze across the room where Brian was watching them like a hawk. “Forget ‘em! This has nothing to do with you. They’re just pissed off at me,” he said angrily, but his tone softened immediately and he sighed. “I’m sorry to have put you in the middle of my mess.”

Rachel matched his sigh with one of her own glad that at least Nick was sincere. “They’re forgot,” she said. “No more pouting. I promise.”

“Good, ‘cause if I wanted to be hanging out with a ‘Mr. Grumpy-pants’ all night, I’d be standing over there,” Nick teased pointing at Brian.

Rachel finally cracked a smile and Nick hugged her lovingly. Across the room the gesture didn’t go unnoticed. Brian was still very angry with his best friend and kept a watchful eye on the new stranger. Leighanne noticed him staring and put her arm around his shoulder. “She seems nice,” she said, but Brian just frowned.

Brian watched Nick kiss Rachel on the cheek and then Rachel walked away from him. Nick was smiling at the girl like he didn’t have a care in the world until he saw Brian. The smile was instantly replaced with a piercing look and then Nick walked off in the opposite direction. “You guys fight all the time,” Leighanne said in a patronizing voice. “This will blow over just like it always does.”

Brian looked back at his wife, the anger of this morning flooded back to him. “Not this time,” he said, shrugging her off of him. “This time it was different,”

Leighanne sighed as she watched her husband storm off.

Rachel had gone to find a quiet corner where she could call and check up on Spencer and she felt a little better knowing that he’d gone to bed without a fuss. She walked around the corner to look for Nick, but stopped dead in her tracks when she heard Brian and AJ talking. They had no idea she was behind them. “Why the hell would he show up with some random girl after throwing such a shit fest this afternoon about having a date?” Brian ranted, “And who the hell is she? Where’d he find her?”

“It’s Nick,” AJ replied. “He probably only brought her to piss you off. He probably picked her up in a damn bar this afternoon. Shit, knowing Nick she’s probably some groupie that asked for his autograph. She’ll be old news by tomorrow.”

“Well I hope she gives him an STD,” Brian grumbled, “It would serve him right the way he goes through random women.”

Rachel couldn’t help the gasp. She covered her mouth with her hand but it was too late. AJ and Brian heard the noise and turned around to see Rachel fighting back the tears that were beginning to sting her eyes. AJ’s face went pale but Brian just stood there speechless. Rachel couldn’t tell if he felt bad or not, but she didn’t stick around long enough to find out. She walked away as quickly as she possibly could without drawing any attention to herself.

Brian and AJ waited for the explosion they knew would come when she went crying to Nick, but none came. Rachel was no stranger to being hurt. Although it was a talent she was not necessarily proud of, Rachel was an expert at burying her feelings and by the time she reached Nick she had completely regained her composure. She’d promised Nick no more pouting tonight, and she certainly wasn’t going to do anything to cause even more contention between the guys, so she thought it best not to tell him.

Though Rachel was though as nails, she wasn’t an actress enough to fool Nick completely. He may not have any clue what happened, but Rachel was suddenly very uncomfortable and he knew it. “Are you ok? Everything all right at home?” he asked.

Rachel nodded. “Spencer’s already asleep, so now I’ll be able to relax and enjoy the show.”

Nick watched Rachel plaster a beautiful smile on her face and thought maybe he was just being paranoid, so he shook his thoughts away and led Rachel to her seat. Throughout the show Rachel glanced at Nick several times. She couldn’t shake the comments AJ and Brian had made about his way with women. She knew Nick was a musician, and was very aware of the reputations they had, but Nick didn’t appear that way and it had her confused.

Nick could feel her eyes on him each time she looked at him and his face lit up when he looked at her. She had that look again. He knew she was thinking about him, but he couldn’t tell what she was thinking and their eyes locked as she studied him. “What is it?” Nick whispered.

Rachel shook her head. “It’s nothing, sorry,” she answered with a smile.

After the awards were over everyone stood in the lobby discussing which after party they were going to attend except for Nick, who was trying to think of an excuse to not attend any parties. Though he liked the idea of taking Rachel out because being a single mom she probably didn’t get the opportunity very often, he was much more interested in finding out what Rachel had been thinking all night. There was something about her that was driving him crazy. He wasn’t really attracted to her sexually, and yet there was a connection there. When she smiled at him it warmed his heart without warming other things. That was a first for Nick.

Nick was dying to find out more about this woman and he knew that was not likely to happen if they went to a party. In fact, Nick was afraid that if he went with her to a party, they would have too much to drink, he would do something stupid, the way he always does, and then he would ruin whatever it was he had with her. No, an after party was definitely a bad idea. Nick never got the chance to think of an excuse though, because Leighanne saw Rachel standing quietly at Nick’s side, staring at the floor, and in an attempt to make up for her husband’s chilly disposition, asked, “What about you, Rachel? Any preferences?”

Rachel looked up startled. All eyes were on her. Nick thought it was very strange that she glanced quickly at AJ and Brian before responding to Leighanne. “Actually, I think I’ll pass,” she said hesitantly, “I’ve got a 24 hour work day ahead of me and I really should get some sleep.”

The tone in Rachel’s voice concerned Nick, and he watched Rachel, AJ, and Brian as Kristen carried on the conversation. “A 24 hour work day?” she asked curiously.

Rachel shrugged. “I’m a resident at Cedar’s Hospital. I got stuck with a double tomorrow.”

The entire group tried to hold back their shock. “A doctor?” Kevin said impressed.

Nick heard the surprise in Kevin’s voice and stood a little taller when Kevin smiled approvingly. Maybe things wouldn’t be so bad after all. Maybe the guys were starting to see that Rachel was different. Nick squeezed his grip on Rachel’s hand and grinned proudly as Rachel laughed. “We’ll see,” she replied. “I only graduated med school this spring and just started my residency last month.”

“Wow, congratulations!” Kristen said.

“What are you doing with a bum like Nick?” Howie teased receiving an elbow in the side from his girlfriend.

“Just helping out a friend who needed a date for the evening,” Rachel offered sweetly.

Rachel then glanced again at Brian and AJ, and in a voice equally as sweet added, “But don’t worry, I’ll be old news by tomorrow.”

Everyone felt the obvious rise in tension. “Another time then,” Leighanne said cautiously as she noticed the look Rachel gave her husband.

“You sure?” Nick whispered knowing that there was something wrong.

Rachel nodded. “It’s ok, Spence will be up early. I really should get home,” she whispered in a low voice.

Nick’s manner turned defensive again. It was clear to him that something had happened between Rachel and Brian and AJ. They’d obviously hurt her feelings somehow. “Well I should get you home then,” he said no longer whispering.

“No,” Rachel replied. “You should stay. Go have fun with your friends.”

Again everyone in the group was watching them and Nick laughed harshly, “Are you kidding? After I practically forced you to come tonight? The least I can do is make sure you get home safe.” Rachel smiled gratefully. “Besides,” he added coldly, “I’ve had a long day and I’m not really in the mood for a party.”

Rachel turned to the group forcing one last smile. “It was nice meeting all of you.”

Everyone waved goodbye and Rachel and Nick walked out the door. Neither Nick nor Rachel was ever happier to leave a place in their lives. Once they were sitting in a cab, headed in the direction of Rachel’s apartment, Nick broke the silence by saying, “You don’t really have a 24 hour work day tomorrow, do you?”

“I do have a double shift tomorrow, it just doesn’t start until 7 pm.” Rachel admitted, “But Spencer will be up early, so I should still be getting home.”

“What happened tonight Rachel? I know there’s something you’re not telling me.”

“It doesn’t matter, Nick.”

Nick sighed. She obviously wasn’t going to tell him what happened. “I’m really sorry about tonight. I didn’t think things were going to be so bad.”

Rachel shrugged a smile. “Honestly,” Nick continued. “If I’d have known the guys were gonna be so pissed still, I never would have suggested you come.”

“It’s ok Nick. I didn’t go to see them. I went for you, and you were quite the gentleman all night.”

“Well I’m still sorry, the guys were kind of assholes tonight.”

“Thanks.”

“If it makes you feel any better you were totally my lifesaver tonight.”

“I’m glad some good came out of the day then,” Rachel giggled.

“A lot of good came out of today,” Nick said a little surprised by her comment. “I met you,” he whispered softly.

Rachel tried to hide the nervous look on her face. Nick noticed her discomfort and realized she mistook his meaning. “I didn’t mean it like that,” he said. “It’s just that I don’t have very many friends, not real ones, but I’d like to think I’ve made one today.”

Rachel’s nerves disappeared and she remembered how sincere Nick had been all afternoon. She knew Nick wasn’t just looking to get laid, but she sat in silence just a bit too long and Nick became nervous. “So how about it? Can we be friends?”

Rachel thought for a moment and then hesitantly said, “One condition.”

“What’s that?”

“I want to be friends with the guy I met this afternoon. Not Nick Carter the Backstreet Boy.”

Nick wasn’t entirely sure what she meant but he nodded anyway. “No more nights like tonight,” Rachel clarified. “This was a one time deal. I don’t want to get all caught up in the fame and fortune thing. I like to keep things low key.”

Nick happily agreed thinking that was just the kind of friendship he needed. The two new friends sat in silence for a minute both surprised that it didn’t feel at all awkward, and when the cab reached Rachel’s apartment, Nick told the driver that he was going to walk the lady to her door, but that he’d be right back. Rachel, again, felt relieved knowing that Nick was not expecting to stay, and Nick couldn’t believe that he actually had no desire to. “Thank you, Rachel, for coming with me tonight,” he said as she unlocked her door. “And I’m serious about us being friends.”

Rachel laughed but Nick persisted. “Why don’t you call me after your 24 hour work day and we’ll hang out. I’ll teach Spencer to play basketball or something.”

“Hang on a sec,” Rachel said disappearing into her house. She appeared moments later with a pen. “Tell you what,” she said. She grabbed Nick’s hand and scribbled her phone number on his palm. “Since you are the rich, famous, popular one, why don’t you go home, get some sleep, work things out with your friends, and then, if you still want to be my friend, you can call me.”

Nick smiled. “Just like a woman,” he teased. “Let the man make all the effort.”

Rachel smiled proudly. “I’m as typical female as they get. I hate spiders. I spend way too much time in front of the mirror, I cry in sappy romance movies, and I have lots of emotional baggage.”

“I must be a typical female too,” Nick said forcing laughter from Rachel. “Well almost. I don’t really cry at stupid chick movies.”

Nick threw his arms around Rachel, surprising her with a big hug. “I’ll consider myself warned,” he said letting go of her, “and I’ll call you on Thursday.”

“Good night, Nick,” Rachel said with a sweet smile.

“Good night, Rachel.”

Nick went to the waiting cab feeling better than he had in a long, long time. He didn’t really get the chance to talk to her much, but he didn’t mind waiting. He didn’t want to ruin a good thing, and he was sure Rachel was a good thing. She’d been his life savor tonight. Nick smiled at the barely legible numbers written on his palm and suddenly thought that Thursday would never come fast enough.