- Text Size +
Chapter 1

“No, no, no. For fucking Christ’s sake!” A.J. exclaimed. “It’s all wrong. Shit, let’s just erase this track and start all over,” he said as he chucked his pen across the room.

He leaned back in his seat and sighed. He’d been working on his album for weeks and he was down to the last track. For some reason, he couldn’t find the muse to keep going. A.J. sat up straight and looked at his watch. He knew what he needed…a coffee break.

“Alright, I’m going for some coffee,” he said as he stood up. “Everyone take lunch. I can’t do anymore right now.”

As soon as he stepped outside, he pulled out a cigarette and inhaled the soothing taste of tobacco. He slowly let out his breath and kept walking down the street. A.J. slipped on his sunglasses and pulled down his stocking cap. He wasn’t in the mood to be recognized. Of course, he was very aware that his tattoos alone would give him away. He shook off the thought and headed down to a coffee shop that was three blocks away from the studio. He’d barely walked one block when he heard his cell phone. Without even bothering to see who it was, he opened his phone and put it to his ear.

“Yeah?” he said as he took another drag off his cigarette.

“Yo, it’s Nick.”

“What’s up?”

“I’m having a party at my house tonight. You should come.”

“I don’t know, Nick. I really should stay late and finish up this last track. Besides, I’m not in much of a partying mood.”

“Dude, you’ve been moping around for weeks. What’s going on?”

“Nothing, I’m just really focused on this album.”

“No, you’re hiding,” Nick argued. “Come on, man. Just stop by for a little bit. It won’t kill you.”

“I’ll think about it,” A.J. said as he stopped at the crosswalk. “Listen, I’ll call you later. I’m on my way for some coffee.”

Nick laughed. “Okay, go get your caffeine fix. Your ass better be at the party.”

“I’m not making any promises.”

“Aw, come on--”

“Goodbye, Nick,” he said then hung up.

A.J. shoved the phone back in his pocket and threw out his cigarette. He waited for the crosswalk to turn green and was becoming impatient. Nick was right…he was edgy, but there were so many things to think about at that moment. He needed to finish his album, the Unbreakable was starting in less than two weeks, and he was A.J. McLean…Backstreet Boy. Of course he was on edge. Who wouldn’t be? A.J. let out a sigh and walked across the street to the coffee shop. As soon as he stepped in, he immediately felt relieved. The familiar smell of mixed espressos filled the air. He loved this place. It was his home away from home. A.J. stepped up to the counter and immediately recognized the blonde girl behind the counter. She smiled at him.

“Your usual, Alex?” she asked.

“Brandy, you always know how to make my day,” he said with a grin.

She smiled back and wrote his order down on a notepad. “Will you be getting a bagel this time?”

A.J. shook his head. “Not today. Just the coffee.”

“Okay, I’ll get that right out to you, cutie,” she said with a wink.

He paid for his coffee and patiently waited for Brandy to bring it over. Her smiling face appeared back at the counter as she handed it to him personally.

“Thank you, sweetness,” he said.

“You’re welcome. So, when are we going out again? I had fun last week.”

“Uh, I don’t know,” he replied. “You’ve got my number. Give me a call.”

“Will do,” she said then went back to work.

A.J. stepped outside and barely made it out the door before felt someone bump into him. He gasped as the hot coffee poured down his shirt and pants.

“Oh, my god. I am so sorry,” said a woman’s voice.

“Oh, it’s okay,” A.J. said as he tried to wipe off the excess coffee on his jeans. “No one got hurt. That’s all that matters,” he said as he looked at her.

“Something like this would happen to me,” she said with a sigh as she picked up her purse.

“Let me help you,” he said as he bent down to help her pick up the items that had fallen out. “Here you go,” he said.

“Thank you,” she replied as she looked into his eyes.

A.J. was immediately hypnotized by her stare. Her eyes were piercing blue and he couldn’t take his eyes off her.

“Let me buy you another coffee,” she said as she stood up.

“You don’t have to,” A.J. said.

“No, I insist,” she said as she looked at him again.

She froze for a moment and continued to stare. A.J. looked away. He knew she’d figured out who he was.

“Aren’t you…”

“Yes,” he replied as he held out his hand. “I’m Alex.”

She smiled softly at him. “Courtney.”

“Nice to meet you.”

“You too,” she said with a grin. “What were you drinking and I’ll get you another one.”

“Carmel espresso, grande size.”

“Okay, I’ll get it for you,” she said as she disappeared into the crowd.

A few moments later, she came back with his coffee. She smiled as she handed it to him.

“Thanks,” he said.

“You’re welcome.”

“Well, I should be going now,” he said. “It was nice to have met you.”

“You too,” she said.

A.J. turned around to leave the building. He’d walked no more than fifty steps before he realized he never got her number. He quickly turned around and went back inside the coffee shop. Of course, she was nowhere to be seen. A.J. went back outside and looked around. She was gone.

“Damn it,” he cursed under his breath.

He let out a sigh when he heard his cell phone ring again. He hoped it wasn’t Nick calling to bug him again.

“Yeah?” he said when he answered it.

“Are you coming back to the studio?” his manager asked.

“Yeah, I’m on my way now,” he said then hung up.

A.J. walked down the street and occasionally looking around for Courtney. He couldn’t believe he didn’t get her number. A.J. let out a frustrated groan. It just wasn’t his day.