- Text Size +
After a long day of working on the album production, A.J. decided he was in need of a coffee break. He went to his usual coffee shop, and hoped to find more than just coffee there. He stood in line and smiled when he saw Brandy waiting at the counter.

“Back again?” she said with a smile.

“Hey, I need caffeine,” he joked.

“Your usual?” she asked.

A.J. nodded. “That and a club sandwich with a glass of water, please.”

Brandy wrote down his order and smiled. “So, when are you free next? I would love to go out.”

A.J. shrugged. “I’m kinda going on a day by day schedule for right now. If I happen to have a free day, I’ll call you.”

“Great,” she said. “Are you taking this to go?”

“Nah, I think I’ll eat here today.”

“Alright, then,” she said as she handed him a number and rang up his order. “Seven dollars even.”

A.J. handed her a ten and smiled. “Keep the change,” he said as he picked up the number and went to find a table.

He was looking around for a table when he came across a familiar face. Courtney was sitting at a table with a bunch of papers and books in front of her. He smiled when he saw her. She looked cute with her reading glasses on. Her face was serious and very focused on what she was reading. He debated on whether he should approach her and he finally decided to step forward in her direction.

“You must love this place if you can stand being here off the clock,” he joked.

Courtney quickly looked up and smiled. “It’s quiet here. It’s great for studying.”

A.J. nodded. “It must be.”

“Would you like to sit down?” she asked as she cleared away a few books and papers.

“I don’t want to disturb you.”

“Oh, no, you’re fine. I need to take a study break anyway. Have a seat.”

A.J. took a seat in the chair across from her and smiled. “So, I’m assuming it’s safe to guess that you’re a student.”

Courtney rolled her eyes and took off her reading glasses. “Yeah, a late blooming one.”

He chuckled and took a sip of his coffee. “What’s your major?”

“Journalism,” she said with a smile.

“Ah, so you’re a writer.”

“Well, trying to be,” she said as shut her book. “That is if I can pass this stupid class on media.”

A.J. nodded with a smile. “You seem like a smart girl. I’m sure you’ll do fine.”

“Sure, I’m smart enough for it. I’m just a perfectionist when it comes to my school work.”

“Kinda like I am with my music.”

“Really?” she said as she put away the rest of her papers.

“Yeah, I just finished up an album. I worked on it for over a year. Everything had to be just right before I agreed to slap a name on the album.”

“I see,” she said as she stood up. “I’ll be right back. I’m going to order something.”

“Okay,” he said then took another sip of his coffee.

She came back a few minutes later with a bagel and cream cheese. A.J. eyed her for a moment. He liked the way she seemed a little disorganized when she moved. He could tell there was something always on her mind. For some reason that interested him even more. Brandy came to the table with his club sandwich and water and set it down. He noticed her give Courtney an icy stare and walked away without saying a word.

“Bitch,” Courtney muttered under her breath.

A.J. chuckled. “Issues?”

“She’s the one with issues, not me.”

“Ah, Brandy’s not that bad.”

Courtney glanced at him and shook her head. “You don’t know her the way I do. I’ve been working here a little under three months and every day she gives me hell.”

“Well, maybe she’s jealous.”

“Of what? I’m nothing to get jealous over.”

“Well, maybe you are to her,” he said as he picked apart his sandwich.

“Whatever, she’s just a bitch. I can’t stand her.”

“Okay, enough about that. Tell me about you.”

Courtney softly chuckled. “Why?”

“Because I’m interested.”

“In what?”

“In you.”

“You don’t waste any time, do you?” she said with a smile.

“If I wasted time, I wouldn’t get anywhere,” he said with a flirtatious grin.

“Don’t think I don’t know about you,” she said as she spread the cream cheese on her bagel.

“You know what about me?”

“I know you’re a big flirt. I can read, you know.”

“Oh, so you believe everything you read?”

“No, not everything.”

“So, then…tell me about yourself.”

Courtney shrugged and picked a piece of her bagel off. “There’s not much to tell. I was born and raised here in L.A. I’m going to college after a few years of working odd jobs and getting shitty pay and I work here to make ends meet. Voila, that’s me.”

A.J. laughed. “Odd jobs? What kind of odd jobs?”

“I’m a hooker,” she joked.

“Really?” he said, knowing she was being sarcastic.

“No, not really,” she said with a laugh. “I’m actually an artist.”

“That’s interesting.”

“Yeah, I designed all my tattoos.”

“Maybe you could design one for me sometime.”

“Sure, I’d love to.”

“I’ll even pay you,” he offered.

She shook her head. “I’d settle for dinner.”

A.J. put his sandwich down and smirked at her. “You stole my line.”

“You were too slow,” she said as she wrapped up the the last of her bagel. “I gotta run,” she said as she pulled out a pen a piece of paper. “Here’s my number. Give me a call some time.”

“Absolutely,” he said as he folded the paper and put it in his pocket. “You better answer when I call you.”

“Oh, I will,” she said as she put her books in her bag.

“I know where you work,” he joked.

“Indeed, you do,” she said then swung her backpack over her shoulder. “Au revoir.”

“Later,” A.J. said then went back to his sandwich.

He finished the last bite when he heard his cell phone ring. He glanced at the screen and rolled his eyes. It was Nick.

“What?” he said with a grin.

“Damn you!” Nick said with a laugh. “Where the fuck were you the other night? You never came by.”

“I told you I wasn’t in the partying mood, and you’re just now calling me about this. Dude, that was three days ago. What the fuck have you been doing?”

“Nothing,” Nick said with a snicker.

“I don’t even want to know.”

“No, you don’t,” he said. “Man, we gotta hang out more. I miss you.”

“Yeah, right,” A.J. teased.

“Nah, man, for real. We should chill.”

“Alright, I’ll hit you back when I have time,” he said. “I’ve gotta get back to the studio and help finish up some stuff.”

“Alright, peace,” Nick said then hung up.

A.J. stood up and went back to the counter. Brandy was standing there without a smile.

“Yes?” she said.

“One mocha espresso to go,” he said.

“Right,” she said then went to make his espresso.

She brought it back to him and practically slammed it on the counter, spilling some of the coffee from out of the lid. A.J. stared at her and tilted his head to the side.

“Is something wrong?” he asked.

“Three fifty, please,” she said, ignoring his question.

“Brandy.”

“Three fifty…please,” she said again.

A.J. sighed and handed her a five. “Keep the change,” he said as he picked up his espresso then left the coffee shop.