- Text Size +
Nick laid on the couch in the dressing room. He was very tired from not getting any sleep the night before. Of course, there was far too much noise going on backstage for him to get any sleep. He sighed loudly as he stared up at the ceiling. His head pounded from lack of sleep and stress. All he could do was rub his temples and try to relax before the show.

“Nick, are you alright?” said a woman’s voice.

Nick opened his eyes and saw Stephanie, the tour intern, standing by the couch. He smiled softly and sat up.

“Yeah, I’ve just got a small headache,” he replied.

She put down her clipboard and dug into her purse. Nick smiled as she pulled out a bottle of Tylenol and opened it.

“How many?” she asked.

“Two will be fine,” he said as he opened his water bottle.

“Here you go,” she said as she handed him two tablets.

“Thanks a million,” he said then swallowed them.

She sat beside him and pulled out her pen. “I’m supposed to ask you what do you want for dinner after the show?”

“What are my options again?” he asked softly.

“Pizza, chicken salad, spaghetti and meatballs, or grilled cheese.”

Nick wrinkled his nose and smirked. “Not a big variety tonight, is there?”

Stephanie laughed and shook her head. “I’m afraid not.”

He sighed and thought for a moment. Nick hadn’t had much of an appetite in days. Nothing sounded good to him. He scratched his scruffy chin and shrugged.

“I don’t have a clue what I want. I guess nothing.”

“Nick, you have to eat something. This is the second time this week I’ve asked you and you said nothing. Are you sure you‘re okay?” she said in concern.

He slowly nodded. “Yes, I’m sure.”

“Then pick something to eat.”

“Okay, fine, put me down for pizza.”

“Alright,” she said as she wrote it down. “Well, I’m off to find out what everyone else wants. Take care of that headache, Nick,” she said with a smile then stood up.

Nick watched her walk away then laid back down on the couch. His headache was starting to fade away and fatigue was hitting him when heard the sound of Baylee running up to him.

“Nicky! Nicky! Nicky!” he shouted.

Nick opened his eyes and looked at him. “Hey, Little Man,” he said softly.

“Baylee!” Leighanne said as she came up to him. “Did you wake up Nick?”

“Yes,” he giggled.

“You evil little boy,” she said with a laugh and picked him up. “I’m sorry about that, Nick.”

“No, it’s okay,” he said as he rubbed his forehead.

“Are you feeling okay?” she asked.

Nick glanced at her then nodded. “I’m fine. Just tired.”

“Okay, then,” she said as she hugged Baylee. “Let’s go find Daddy,” she said as she carried him with her.

“Bye, Nicky!” he said.

“Bye,” Nick said with a laugh.

He settled himself back onto the couch and closed his eyes. Before he knew it, he’d drifted off to sleep. His mind wandered back to a simpler time between him and Julie. They were on his boat about a month before he left for the tour. It was one of the last happy moments he had with her.

“I love you,” she whispered in his ear.

Nick smiled and kissed her tenderly. “I love you too.”

“Why can’t we stay on this boat forever?” she asked.

Nick put his arms around her and rested his chin on her shoulder. “You know why.”

She sighed and turned around to look at him. “I’m going to miss you.”

“Why don’t you come with me? It would be fun,” he asked gently.

“You know why,” she said sadly.


Nick looked at her with tender eyes and cupped his hand under her chin. They’re lips were about to meet when the sky suddenly turned dark and the air grew cold. The wind blew around them and the rain was ice cold. Nick suddenly jolted awake just as A.J. had poured a glass of cold water on him. He gasped and quickly stood up.

“What the fuck, Alex!” he exclaimed.

A.J. laughed wickedly. “Dude, you were out cold. We’ve been trying to wake up for the past fifteen minutes.”

“I’m awake now,” he mumbled as he sat back down on the couch.

A.J. patted his back and chuckled. “I’m sorry, but there was no way you were waking up on your own.”

Nick rubbed his eyes and nodded. “Alright, whatever.”

“We go on stage in 45 minutes. You might wanna get dressed,” he said then left the room.

Nick sat on the couch for a moment then slowly got up. He passed by Howie on his way to his dressing unit. Howie grabbed his arm and Nick looked at him.

“Whoa, are you okay? You don’t look so good.”

Nick rolled his eyes and groaned in frustration. “I swear if one more person asks me that I’m going to strangle them!” He turned around and threw his hands in the air. “Before anyone asks me…I’m fine! You got it! I’m good! Thank you, carry on!”

Howie stared at him and shook his head. “Dude, you’re not fine. Whatever this is…it’s not fine,” he said then walked away, leaving Nick alone in the hall.