- Text Size +
School was over and Tina was relieved. Friday had finally ended and the weekend had arrived. She met up with Lizzie by their lockers and gathered her books for the weekend. Lizzie handed Tina a note and grinned.

“What is this?”

“It’s a note.”

“Duh,” Tina said with a laugh. “But what is it?”

“It’s for Alex. Give it to him for me.”

Tina rolled her eyes. “Lizzie, why can’t you be a normal best friend and not like my brother?”

“Oh, come on. It’s not so bad. Wouldn’t it be great if me and Alex got married? We’d be sisters.”

“Wait, let me jump for joy,” Tina said in sarcasm.

“Shut up and go change before we leave.”

“Right,” Tina said as she followed Lizzie into the bathroom.

Lizzie went over to the mirror and freshened her make up while Tina went into a stall.

“I hope you brought some face wash because this stuff won’t come off with that crappy soap the school has,” she said as she pulled the tank top off.

“There’s some in my bag.”

“Good.”

Tina quickly changed back into her own shirt and came out of the stall. She handed Lizzie back her shirt, along with the jewelry and Lizzie handed her the face wash.

“I don’t know why my mother won’t let me wear make up. This is so stupid.”

“She will eventually,” Lizzie said as she zipped up her bag.

“Yeah, when I’m sixteen. I think my mother has her mind set on keeping me a little girl forever.”

“All moms do that.”

“Yours doesn’t,” Tina said as she wiped the water off her face with a paper towel.

“That’s because she got tired of my whining.”

“That wouldn’t work with my mother. She’s too damn stubborn.”

Lizzie smiled and helped Tina take out her pig tails. “So, who are you wanting to ask you to the dance next week?”

Tina threw away the paper towel and turned to face her. “You know who.”

Lizzie rolled her eyes and shook her head. “You’re wasting your time on Anderson. Besides, you’re too good for him.”

“More like he’s too good for me,” she said softly.

Lizzie handed Tina her backpack. “Stop sulking. Come on, Alex is probably waiting on us.”

“Oh, what a tragedy, Mr. Cool had to wait on us.”

Lizzie grinned and took Tina by the arm. “Come on.”

They walked out to the main entrance and A.J. was waiting by the flag pole. He was talking to a brown haired guy that Tina had never seen before.

“Ooh, who’s the hottie?”

“I don’t know,” Tina said as she walked over to him.

A.J. saw them and smiled. “Hey, there’s my girls!”

“Hey,” Lizzie said as she hugged him.

“Are we ready to go?” he asked.

“Yeah, I think so.”

“Guys, this is Brian. He’s going to be with me in the group.”

“Hi,” he said with a smile.

“Well, hello,” Lizzie said with a grin.

Tina rolled her eyes and looked back at Brian. “Nice to meet you.”

“Same to you. You must be Alex’s sister, Tina.”

“Yup, that would be me.”

“He’s told me a lot about you.”

“Has he?” Tina said as she looked at A.J. “Well, I guess we should get going.”

The whole walk home, Tina trailed behind. She was already sensing the changes that would be happening once A.J. got more involved with the group. Normally, he would’ve noticed that she was behind him, but not this time. He was too busy joking around with Brian and putting his arm around Lizzie. Tina snarled her lip at them. She wanted to just disappear at that moment. They stopped in front of Lizzie’s house and Tina watched her hug A.J. and walked to her porch. She waved at Tina and blew a dramatic kiss in the air.

“Call me!”

“Okay,” she muttered and kept on walking.

For a few minutes, A.J. kept talking to Brian as they walked. He finally turned around and looked at Tina.

“You can walk with us, you know.”

“I know,” she said as she kicked a few rocks down the street.

“Get your butt up here.”

Tina let out a huffy sigh and walked between him and Brian. A.J. put his arm around her shoulder and playfully sang a random song as they walked. She couldn’t help but feel nauseous when Brian started harmonizing with him. This wasn’t a good start to her weekend.

After dinner, Tina was sitting in her room watching a taped episode of Beverly Hills 90210 when she heard a knock at her door. She paused the show and sighed.

“Come in.”

A.J. poked his head into the room. “Hey, you.”

“Hi,” she said half heartedly.

“You wanna come with us?”

“Where are you going?”

“Rehearsal.”

“You want me come with you to rehearsal?” she said with her eyebrow raised.

“Yeah, why not. Mom’s coming too.”

Tina laid back on her bed. “No, thanks.”

A.J. sat on the edge of the bed and looked at her. “Are you ever going to tell me what’s wrong?”

“I thought we went over this yesterday.”

“We did, but you never answered.”

“That’s because there’s nothing to say.”

A.J. grabbed her by the arms and drug her off the bed. “Come on, please come with us.”

“Why?” she whined.

He sighed and looked at her. “Because I’m leaving in three weeks. I want to spend time with you as much as I can.”

“Coming with you to rehearsal doesn’t count as quality time!” she said, close to tears.

“Tina, Sis, why are you so snippy with me? Please tell me what’s wrong.”

She wanted to tell him so badly, but her heart kept telling her no. She wished that she could shove him out of the room and pretend like none of this was happening.

“You don’t want me to leave, do you?” he said softly.

“What, that’s stupid,” she said in a quivering voice.

“No, that’s it. You’re upset at me for leaving.”

“No, I’m not!” she shouted as tears fell down her cheeks.

“Tina, why didn’t tell me?”

“Because it’s not true!”

“Yes, it is. Look at you, you’re all upset,” he said as he touched her arm.

Tina slapped his hand away. “Get out of my room.”

“Tina--”

“Go!”

A.J. sighed and walked to her door. “We leave in thirty minutes if you change your mind,” he said softly then shut the door.

Tina picked up her pillow and threw it at the door. She collapsed onto the bed and cried until she couldn’t cry anymore.