- Text Size +
~~ Stephanie ~~

It was January 26th, 2006 and I was at my friend Jasmine’s house having a BBQ with her and our two other friends Muffy and Alana. What were we celebrating you ask? Well not only was today Australia Day (a national holiday here, much like the 4th of July in the US) but next month we were seeing who we considered one of if not the best boy band in the world (at least Jasmine, Muffy and I thought they were the best; New Kids On The Block were still Alana’s favourite but hey she was still a Backstreet fan so that’s all that mattered, even if she was rooting for the wrong team during those NKOTB VS BSB debates!). “Grubs up” Jasmine’s dad Steve said “thanks dad” Jas said taking a plate of hamburger patties into the kitchen table “smells great Steve” Muffy said walking in with Alana and I in tow “eat up girls, you’re going to need your strength for next month” he laughed “Travelling around the country side seeing a bunch of boys and acting like a bunch of teenage girls. It’s below you, Jas” “Cassie I’ve told you before don’t tease your sister and her love for those boys” I looked at Jas “kids, they just don’t understand the mature female emotions” which made everyone but Cassie laugh.

I grabbed a hamburger pattie and put it onto my bun and then proceeded to put Lettuce, Cheese and Mayo on top (with the cheese on top of the pattie, of course) “great burgers Steve” I said taking a bite out of mine “I’m glad you enjoy it Steph” he smiled back at me “so..speaking of these Backstreet Boys..which one do you like? Or are you another fan of the blonde one?” I laughed “No I’m not a fan of Nick” “oh, you aren’t a fan of that tattooed freak are you?” “AJ? No, well I like him but he’s not my favourite, Brian is” he just shook his head and mumbled something about us needing to be more mature or something. How much more mature could we get? I mean here we are only days away from seeing our favorite group for the first time in our lives and we’re yet to scream. We’re meeting them and everything and we’re yet to scream. Ok so we did all the screaming when we got our tickets through the fan club but still, we’re mature enough to control it when we’re around other people who don’t care for the guys, doesn’t that make us mature? It did in my eyes.

So you’re probably wondering how this all got started, right? Well it’s a long story, actually it’s a story that’s just been building up for almost Eleven years, yep that’s right Eleven looooong years. Well as you could tell my name is Stephanie or Steph for short, I’m 4’11, twenty-four years old, I have shoulder length brown hair with hazel/green eyes. I reside in Melbourne, Australia and I’ve been a fan of the Backstreet Boys since I was eleven, so since they started in 1995. My favourite is none other than Brian with AJ coming in second. This was going to be my very first Backstreet Tour because they haven’t toured Australia before and by gosh I was damn excited! My friends are Alana, she’s 5’2, twenty-six years old, has blonde hair with some curls that flowed down to the middle of her back, she has blue eyes and her favourite boys are Nick & Howie. Muffy is 5’3, and at twenty-two she’s the baby of our group, she has long curly blonde/brown hair that she dyes way too much with bright blue eyes and Nick just happens to be her subject of Backstreet affection. Jasmine is roughly 5’, twenty-six years old, she has shoulder length blonde hair that she likes to dye fire red for some strange reason, I suppose it matches her personality though, she’s a very loud girl and can get quite pissed off if you try hard enough. Nick is also her favourite. It’s hard being the only one not interested in Nick Carter sometimes but I put up a good fight. Sure I think Nick is pretty hot but not as hot as Brian. We all met on the Backstreet Boys fan club; Weird World. It was like fate had brought us together. I joined and did a search for Australia and up popped the Australian fan thread that Muffy had started and her, Jas, Alana and a few other girls were posting in there. I didn’t actually expect to find any Aussie fans on that site, most of them were either American or European but boy was I happy when I did! Muffy, Jas, Alana and I had an instant connection, it was pretty weird. They invited me on their little road trip and I was hesitant at first, I mean I just met these girls online a few weeks ago but I had no one else to go to the concerts with so I thought what the hell do I have to lose? (you know, besides my life)

On January 23rd, I left for Brisbane, travelling by train via Sydney and finally making it to Brisbane on January 25th and being picked up at the train station by Muffy. It was awkward driving to her house, the silence was killing me but we started talking about the tour and the boys and then what do you know? We couldn’t shut up. That leads us to where we are today, Jasmine’s house having a BBQ, today was Australia Day after all. As I was just finishing up my burger Steve asked Jas to come and look at the car we were using for our road trip, oh did I mention the four of us are road tripping around Australia to all the Backstreet concerts? I have no idea what was wrong with the car, I’m not a mechanic after all but Steve and Jas got it working again and we were soon on our way back to Muffy’s house. When we got there we went into Muffs room and Jas and I laid on her bed while she sat in her computer chair and checked her MSN. “Nothing good” she said turning the screen off “can I check my email?” I asked her getting up off the bed before she even had a chance to respond “sure” she said sitting on the bed where I had previously been “thanks muff”

I logged into my Google Mail email account and smiled as I had another email from my aunty, no doubt it was one of those “be careful; don’t talk to no one you don’t know; don’t leave your bags unattended; be careful walking the streets of the city at night” type of emails “anything good?” Alana asked me getting up and standing next to me “mmm not really, just a email from my aunty telling me not to talk to people I don’t know” I looked over at Muff and Jas “I think it’s a bit late for that though, don’t you?” they just laughed as I smiled “Oh here’s something interesting..the guys are meant to be staying at the Stamford here in Brissy” “yeah? Do you want to go down there and check it out tonight since they’re arriving tonight?” I looked at the girls “I dunno, I wouldn’t want to meet them in that sort of environment, it’s kinda like stalking” Jas sighed “I don’t want to meet them that way, either”

A few hours later we found ourselves at Coorparoo train station waiting for the train to the city, the plan was to just go into the city and have some fun on Australia Day but we somehow ended up at the Stamford hotel. We looked around for awhile, watching the people come in and out and didn’t really notice any security or anything that told us the Backstreet Boys were indeed there so we just ended up getting the train back to Muffs house and going to bed at around 11pm.