- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Nick tries to show her how much he loves her whilst in OZ
He woke up when he rolled over to pull her closer to him but all he found were cold sheets. He opened one eye and as he expected the bed was empty, the clock reading seven am and he sighed as he tried to go back off to sleep, why did she feel the need to wake up so early on his day off? Well he knew why it was her last day, at ten pm tonight they would both be winging their ways in opposite directions, him to Jakarta her to Nashville and it would be a long three weeks until they would see each other again.

When he heard the shower start to run he knew that it was time to get up and so he forced himself into the sitting position grabbing for the robe that was on the end of the bed and pulling it around his naked body, remembering their escapades from the night before, smiling to himself as he did. He knew she would be at least fifteen minutes in the shower, if not more and then she would probably have to dry her hair, put on some make up so he decided that it was a perfect opportunity to check his email, to see if Aaron had returned the message he had sent after he found out about the arrest. “ Punk Ass,”Nick thought to himself scarily realising how much he sounded like Kevin after a few seconds.

He found out three days ago from his Father and of course he had gotten stressed about it, anything to do with his family left him feeling that way, like once again he had failed them. After the reality show he had promised to be there for all of them, to look out for them and protect them and what had he done? Moved halfway across the country to a place where none of his siblings lived, he had started a new life with the women he loved and yes he was happy but again he had looked out for number one. The one time when his brother had needed him, had called him he had blown him off, hadn’t answered the phone because he had been having too much of a good time sight seeing with Adie in Sydney. So he wasn’t at all surprised when there was only a handful of spam emails and one from Chris, why would Aaron email him back when Nick hadn’t even been bothered about answering his phone? He looked at the clock and tried to calculate the time difference but it would be late night in America and deep down he knew Aaron wouldn’t answer anyway.

He clicked aimlessly on a few sights, checked out what the fans were saying about the shows on LD and then logged in to his Myspace, it had been a while since he had posted anything maybe that would take his mind off his family problems and kill some time while he waited for Adie to finish up in the bathroom.

He bought up his webcam application and moved the apple mac laptop so that he could see himself on the screen, moving his hand through his hair to spike it up a bit before he clicked on the record button.

“Hello everyone I’m back, in black… actually I’m in white I’m in a robe at the moment…” he waffled just as he usually did on his myspace videos. It amazed him how some of his fans thought they were planned out hours before hand when they were usually spur of the moment things, just as this one had been, he had no clue about what he was going to say. “… and I’m in one my favourite places in the entire world and that’s Melbourne. Been in Australia for the past uh three days did some amazing nights in uh Sydney in Brisbane lot of people showed up want to thank you guys for coming, if you didn’t you missed an amazing show. Also everyone in Tokyo want to thank you guys for coming two nights at the Tokyo dome uh it was amazing erm were still on tour I’m with the boys at the moment,” he continued trying to think of something else to say when she made her way out of the bathroom wrapped only in a towel.

“Check this out look at this….” he said turning his gaze from her and back to what he was doing, leaning over to press the control to move the blinds up. It didn’t work as he had planned, the blinds moving up only slightly each time until she took over and kept her finger on the button. “Argh there we go that’s the effect I was looking for. This is beautiful Melbourne, Melbourne, Mel…bourne if I was in Texas I would be saying I’m for Melbourne, speaking of Texas just want to give a little shout out to by brother love you man you’ll make it through. If you look around that’s Melbourne,” he said moving the laptop so that the future viewers would be able to see the lake scenery just outside his window, “so anyway yeah come and check us out were having a blast. So yeah keep it…keep doing whatever it is you do and uh vote for the right person,” he said with a chuckle as he hit the stop record button.

“Myspace?” She asked as she unwrapped her wet hair from the towel it had been in, roughly drying it so it wouldn’t drip down her back.

“Yep,” he said as he logged off before making his way behind her, wrapping his arms around her waist leaning in to place kisses along her shoulder making her smile warmly at his touch.

“You need to shower,” she prompted.

“Why?” He asked as his hands gently travelled up to the top of her towel so he could start to undo it but she was quicker and pushed him away.

“Because you promised we could do some sightseeing,” she reminded.

“Sightseeing is better then staying in and having amazing sex?” He questioned giving in when she began to pout. “Fine, fine, are you going to order some breakfast?” He asked as he made his way into the bathroom.

“Yeah.”

***

He laughed at her expression, she was so child like and had been pleased so easily today it was unbelievable. She had told him before the tour started that when they went to Melbourne she wanted to visit Philip Island so she could see the penguins, seals, koalas and kangaroos because she had been disappointed when they had been in Melbourne before but did not have the time to visit. Of course he had quickly organised it but he hadn’t told her that, instead playing it off that the tour had been fully booked and that no matter how hard he had tried he just hadn’t been able to get tickets and like a fool she had fallen for it.

So when they turned up there today she had been a little surprised and had squealed in excitement before smacking him playfully in the arm for his secret keeping. Squealing in delight and awing seemed to be her noise for the day.

“Look, look,” she said grabbing at his arm pointing at the small baby penguin in between all the big ones. “He’s so cute he looks just like Cody Maverick,” she said with a chuckle.

“Cody who?” he asked confused as he took a few pictures.

“Cody Maverick, only the coolest surfer penguin ever, he won the Big Z memorial surf off on Pen Gu Island,” she informed him rolling her eyes is if he was a loser for not knowing.

“Are you feeling okay?” he laughed.

“Have you never watched Surfs up?” She asked taking his hand in hers as they walked along a bit further her eyes growing big when he shook his head no. “It’s the coolest film ever, way better then happy feet. You’d love it, it’s about this penguin who surfs but all his friends and like the whole community think he is crazy so he goes off to try and win his huge championship else where but the waves are so much more brutal and the competition is really steep. Why are you laughing at me?” She asked when she realised he was in creases.

“Cause you’re just so funny. When the hell have you seen this film? Please tell me you didn’t go to the movies to see it.”

“I saw it at work,” she told him coming to a stand still again so she could look out at the animals diving into the water below.

“At work? God you make me believe that it’s really tough and you never get a chance to sit down because you are too busy saving all these lives when really all you do is watch kids films?” He joked.

“That’s the beauty of being a peads nurse, kids love cartoons,” she explained making him laugh. “Ohh look seals,” she exclaimed grabbing his arm and pointing again making an elderly couple laugh at her excitement.

“I apologise for my girlfriend,” he joked but she was to engrossed in the seals to care.

“It’s nice to see a young couple out enjoying yourselves like this, reminded my wife of how we used to be,” The elderly gentleman told him with a wistful smile which Nick mirrored back politely. Would that be him and Adie fifty years down the line? Would they still be together? In all honesty he didn’t know with the ways things were right now he had a feeling that they wouldn’t be. He didn’t want that to happen because he knew she was the one he was meant to be with, even if she didn’t see that, didn’t believe him when he told her, he knew. There just had to be someway of getting the message to her without proposing or starting a family though, he just had to think of it.

***

The day was fastly coming to an end and what better way was there to end her trip then with a dinner before they had to head to the airport? Well that was if she ever made it out of the bathroom. They only had half an hour until the restaurant was due to depart and she still had to get dressed.

“Adie, come on we’re going to be late,” he called to her as he buttoned up his shirt.

“Alright, I’m almost ready,” she said as she opened the door to the bathroom and walked out in her underwear quickly grabbing her black Gina print halter dress from the hanger and pulling it over her head. “Zip me up?” She asked turning her back to him and he obliged, carefully tugging the zip up her body. She turned in his arms wrapping her arms around his neck before reaching up to steal a quick kiss.

“You look gorgeous,” he told her when she pulled away and did a quick twirl for him.

“You don’t brush up too bad either,” she joked as she quickly slipped into her stilettos and grabbed her purse, loving how he had the great idea about getting dressed up to go out. They hadn’t done this in so long, there weren’t that many upper class restaurants in Nashville and she preferred to stay in anyway and eat some good home cooking.

He followed her through the door after placing their suitcases near it so when they returned after their meal they could quickly grab them before heading to the airport. He grabbed for her hand as they waited patiently for the elevator and gave it a light squeeze when he felt her thumb gently caress his knuckles.

“Where are we going?” She asked like she had been all day.

“I told you it’s a secret,” he said again making her pout for the millionth time.

“Party pooper,” she whined as the elevator pinged and the doors opened.

“You’ll find out soon enough,” he told her as they stepped in to the compartment.

And find out she did, smiling brightly when she saw they were headed towards the Colonial Tramcar Restaurant that was parked up at the side of the street. She wondered if he would remember and he hadn’t disappointed, in fact everything about today had been perfect, well apart from the impending separation that was. Maybe that’s why he was doing all this, to soften the blow of being separated but then again she was being totally spoiled by all this and by his company so it was actually only going to make it worse. She couldn’t dwell on that now though, she just needed to have a good time tonight and enjoy being with him.

“You’re sly,” she said squeezing his hand as they neared the cart.

“I know,” he said cockily waggling his eyebrows at her making her laugh.

“Sir, Madam your table awaits,” the Maitre d' gestured as he offered a hand to Adie so she could climb aboard. She smiled a thanks and took her seat waiting for Nick to do the same. She loved the whole idea of this restaurant, not only did it serve amazing food but you also got to see the city of Melbourne right from your table as the tram wound its way all through the city at night.

He had bought her here on her first trip to Melbourne after hearing Kevin rave about it. It was on this tram at this very table where she had learnt so much more about him, learnt how he made his way in the band, heard all the crazy stories about life on the road, about how he was happy that the band were once again back together. Normally a guy monopolising the conversation would not have been her idea of a good time, in fact it would have left her feeling damn right bored and pissed off but with him it had been different, she had wanted him to carry on talking even when he realised that he was conversation hogging and started asking about her. He wasn’t like the others, he showed an interest in her as well, asked about her job, listened to all her gruesome stories probing her for more when she thought she had totally grossed him out. The best part of that night though was just one small sentence right at the end of the meal, one that she would never forget.

***

February 2006

“…So of course I ask this guy how he got a deodorant can stuck up his ass and he is completely honest with me and basically tells me that he wanted to try anal with his girlfriend and she would only do it if he shoved something up his own butt first, well I couldn’t keep a straight face and ended up almost peeing my pants with laughter…and I have just totally grossed you out haven’t I?” She asked when she realised how he was looking at her, twirling his fork around his plate.

“No you haven’t it’s quite funny, I just realised something that’s all,” he shrugged casting his gaze back down to his dinner plate.

“What?” she asked the curiosity getting the better of her, even after being with him for seven months she still found it incredibly difficult to read him.

“I…I should have told you this a long time ago…” he hesitated.

“You like to shove deodorant cans up your ass?” She deadpanned making him laugh as she took a mouthful of her desert.

“No I can safely say I really don’t. I uh… I’m in love with you Adrianna,” he said shyly almost a whisper. Well she hadn’t been expecting that at all, and had ended up chocking on the mouthful of chocolate tart currently half chewed in her mouth. So there she was chocking and spluttering all over him as he tried vainly to help her remove the lodged piece of food by slapping her on the back, with all the other diners looking at her red face some jumping up to offer assistance, it wasn’t very romantic. Eventually she recovered and was able to swallow her mouthful.

“Are you okay?” He asked concerned as he hovered at her side.

“Fine,” she meekly said the blush creeping into her cheeks as the other diners all started to slowly turn back to their meals, him returning to his seat.

“I wasn’t really expecting that reaction, I’ve never had anyone choke on me when I’ve told them…well you know,” he said looking away from her.

She smiled warmly as she gently pushed her hand across the table to reach for his intertwining their fingers when contact was made. The feeling made him look to her expectantly and a small smile spread across his lips when she whispered, “I love you too,” to him.


***

She saw him smirk as their plates were delivered to the table and became very suspicious, “What?”

“Nothing,” he shrugged as he took his fork and began to tuck into his white chocolate and passion fruit parfait. She eyed him for a few second before tucking into her own pudding. “I love you, don’t choke,” he added quickly through a mouthful of his own pudding and she laughed along with him as she uneventfully chewed and swallowed the rest of her mouthful.

“Goon. So you do remember,” she said.

“Course I remember,” he said throwing her a semi hurt look.

“Most guys wouldn’t,” she tried to explain taking another bite of her own delicious chocolate mousse dome with a mango centre.

“Is it nice?” he asked hinting that he wanted to try some, she nodded enthusiastically plunging her spoon back in to the centre of the plate and offering him what was on the spoon when she pulled it back. He accepted her offering savouring the taste and making yummy noises in appreciation when he was done.

“You know this sharing thing goes both ways,” she reminded when he made no attempt to let her try his.

“You wouldn’t like this,” he tried as he offered her the spoon. His too was equally delicious and they managed to plaster off the rest of their puddings without any more words. The plates were soon cleared but they both knew that had at least half an hour before the tour would be coming to a stop and so ordered another drink each and got lost in conversation.

“Are you back at work tomorrow?” he asked as he poured her another glass of wine.

“No I’ve got two days then I’m on nights so my body clock is going to be screwed,” she groaned making him laugh. “I’ve got an interview next week as well,” she informed him.

“An interview? What for?” He asked surprised.

“You know a while back I said that they were going to move all the Paeds stuff to one hospital instead of it being spread across three sites?” She asked and he nodded, “Well they decided that there is more room at the General and everything is going to be moving there so they are going to have a Paeds cardiology unit which means they are going to be doing cardiac surgery. So there is going to be a PICU that cares for kids following the surgery as well as other stuff like trauma and nuero surgery and sepsis and stuff,” she explained.

“So it’s a job for PICU?” he asked.

“Yeah. I love cardiac stuff I mean I worked on the cardiac intensive care unit at GOS.”

“GOS?” He asked confused at her abbreviation just like he usually always did when she spoke about anything work related.

“Great Ormond Street. I wanted to carry on with that area of work when I came back but it was all at St Thomas’s which is just too much of a commute but now it’s going to be at the general it makes sense.”

“Go for it babe,” he encouraged.

“Thing is they’ve already got enough nurses for my experience level and so it means its going to be a promotion which is kind of scary.”

“Why?”

“Because it means being in charge, delegating, decision making and PICU is a lot scarier then the ER,” she admitted.

“Adie you’d be fine, you know what your doing, you boggle me with how much knowledge you have and how clever you are,” he complimented making her blush.

“I’m not that clever,” she mumbled.

“Yeah you are,” he said nodding his head. “Trouble with you is that you put yourself down too much. Go for it, you have past experience in that area, you trained at one best children’s hospitals in the world, you work in a busy ER, they’d be crazy not to have you. And if for some stupid reason they turn you down what have you lost? You’ll have the experience for next time.”

“You’re right,” she agreed taking a sip from her wine. “So how are you feeling without having Kevin around? Is it as weird as you thought?”

“No not really. I mean yeah I still expect him to rag on my ass when I turn up late but Howie’s kind of taken over that role, and there is always Jen to play practical jokes on so…” he joked but she could tell it was bothering him, his humour a way of deflecting that.

“It’s okay to miss him though. Have you talked to him recently?” She asked knowing that he had probably been putting it off, just like he had done after Kevin had discussed his decision with the guys and just after Mason had been born.

“No I guess I should really.”

“I’m sure he would be happy to hear from you, oh did you get through to Aaron?” She asked remembering about his brother.

“No he wasn’t answering his phone and he hasn’t replied to my email, he is still probably pissed,” he sighed.

“Or embarrassed,” she tried. “I mean when Rachel had her little run in with the law she tried avoiding me for a few days, of course it didn’t really work well considering she was crashing on my couch while she was visiting but it didn’t stop her from trying.”

“I should have answered my phone.”

“You can’t be there all the time Nick,” she offered.

“I wasn’t there at all though, I hardly have been. He sounded so scared and lost on the phone Adie and I ignored his call,” he said his tone sad.

“But maybe it was a good thing that you didn’t answer Nick, hear me out okay?” she said when she saw the look on his face, “ How many times have you bailed him out in the past? Been there for him to fall back on to? What I’m saying is we all fuck up and sometimes as hard as it is we have to get through things by ourselves because it makes us learn and grow up and become self reliant. Maybe this is what he needs.”

“Kind like tough love?” He asked.

“Absolutely. Angel said he was at your Dad’s when she called didn’t she?”

“Yeah.”

“There you go then, he’s not totally by himself. He’ll call when he’s ready Nick, don’t beat yourself up about this.”

***

She would not cry, not again, she needed to get used to this and it wasn’t forever. He was already checked in and now they were doing the same for her, him lifting her case onto the scale as she handed the desk clerk her passport. He smiled as he looked from her to her passport before handing it back along with her boarding pass. Once they made it through the security check point they sat in the departure lounge waiting for the gate there planes would be waiting at to be displayed.

“Call me when you land,” Nick told her.

“You might be asleep,” she replied as she rested her head against his shoulder.

“Doesn’t matter. You have the rest of the itinerary right? All the numbers you can contact me on?”

“Yep on the fridge and in my diary. You’ll be back on the eighteenth? Are you going to call and let me know what time you land?”

“Yeah I will, your flights up,” he said motioning towards the screen.

“It’s not boarding yet though,” she pointed out sighing when that section too started to flash.

“Is now,” he mumbled as he stood pulling her up and into his arms so he could hold her. She snuggled into his arms, sniffing his scent, sniffing back her tears before she pulled away far enough so she could reach up and kiss him, weaving her hands through his hair as he deepened the kiss. She pulled back with a hearty sigh and threw him a crooked smile.

“Don’t get into too much trouble here all by yourself,” she warned.

“Knowing me I’ll be so bored I’ll fall asleep and miss my flight,” he joked.

“I love you, see you soon,” she said giving him another peck before pulling completely away from him.

“Love you too, call me when you land.”
Chapter End Notes:
Thanks for all your encouraging reviews, let me know what you think!