- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

 

Rachel gives birth and it makes Adie wonder what her own life will be like when she is a Mother

Chapter Thirty

Nick knew she couldn’t have left because he was sat on the hood of her car but it had been almost an hour since he had walked out of the consultation room. She hadn’t even tried to stop him, hadn’t even looked at him as she dropped the second piece of life changing news on him in less then a month. He had sat open mouthed for about a minute before the room just felt too hot, too claustrophobic and he knew he just had to get out of there, and so without excusing himself he just got up and left.

She didn’t even look at him when he reached the door, didn’t even ask him to stop. This was her second pregnancy, her second baby and he was only just finding out about it now, they had been together for…well it would have been four years in eight weeks and she had kept something this huge from him. If she could hold something like that back what else was she hiding? He glanced down at his watch again and sighed heavily hoping that she would soon appear because he was getting restless in the midday sun, he couldn’t take the chance of running to the rest room though because he knew she might be watching, waiting for him to leave so she could make her escape. He definitely wasn’t going to let her though, he wanted an explanation.

He glanced over to the main entrance of the hospital and spotted her immediately, he knew he had been spotted too because she just seemed to sink into herself, her sunglasses coming down from the top of her head to cover her guilty eyes. She didn’t look at him as she approached, her gaze on her own feet, on the wing mirror of the car, anywhere but him and she quickly pointed her key at the car and unlocked it with the remote. He let her get as far as opening the door before he said something.

“You just gona drive off with me still on the hood?” He asked sarcastically.

She brushed a stray piece of her long dark hair behind one ear as she told him, “You sure as hell didn’t seem to want to stick around earlier.”

“What the hell did you expect? Twice Adie, that’s twice I have been humiliated in front of that Doctor,” he said low and harsh.

“Oh I’m sorry I forgot that this is all about you Nick,” she replied sarcastically as she got into the car.

“You’ve just proved my point again Adrianna,” he said as he got up of the hood and leant down to her level, his arms resting on the roof of the car.

“Don’t call me that.”

“Why? I might as well because I don’t know who you are, I don’t know where my Adie is,” he admitted. She had to look away from his questioning eyes at his last statement because she didn’t trust herself not to cry. “When you decide you want to be totally honest with me, you know where I am,” he said as he stood up straight and begun to walk away, his last statement enough to make Adie see red.

“Who the fuck do you think you are?” she yelled, getting out of the car and slamming the door shut in anger, making a few passers-by turn in their direction. He stopped abruptly but didn’t turn round as she continued, “You haven’t exactly been all open and honest with me have you? You haven’t let me in but now all of a sudden…Nick’s got a taste of his own medicine and has realised how bitter it really is!”

“I WAS TRYING!” He yelled back, turning to face her. She had never seen him so red in the face with anger. “I never kept anything this big from you.”

“What about forever Nick? Did you once ever tell me you wanted me forever?!”

His face softened at her words, all the tension visibly draining from his body but when he took a step towards her she took one back, crossing her arms over her chest in a vain attempt to protect herself.

“You’ve read them?” He asked.

“The first one yeah,” she admitted a tear spilling out from underneath her glasses. She had hoped he hadn’t seen it, that the sun beating down in his eyes had marred his vision but she knew as soon as he called her by her nickname he had seen.

“Sugar puff,” he sighed edging nearer and she couldn’t back away this time because he had managed to back her up against the car.

“Don’t…don’t call me that!” She said remembering the time he had first bestowed the nickname on her. It had been the first time when they had spent a whole week together, one of the first times he had come out to stay with her in Nashville after the tour had wrapped up and she hadn’t been able to hide her addiction for the sugary cereal from him. He had opened the door to the cupboard where she kept all the cereal and had stumbled across four boxes of the stuff, ever since then she had been his sugar puff. He reached out his hand to cup her cheek but she forceful pushed him back, “I said don’t!”

He pulled away at the harshness of her words and watched as she quickly situated herself in the car again and before he knew it he was left in the dust of her tyres. He slowly made his way back to his own car, all the while thinking how everything he tried just seem to push her further and further away, turn her more into this person who he didn’t know. He was loosing her and he knew that she was almost to the point of no return, it was like she had turned over night into this complete stranger before his eyes, yet there were still traces of his Adie that he could see if he looked hard enough. Her eyes were still the key to her soul, to her heart, the dark pools of brown that could still melt his anger away with one stray tear, the way she would cock her head to the side when she was considering what he was saying, the way she whispered forever because that one word had truly gotten under her skin. She was still there, trapped inside an icy cold exterior was the warm hearted, kind, caring compassionate women he had fallen in love with, he just needed to find her again.

***

She didn’t know how she had managed to drive the distance she had without getting in a wreck, because emotionally that was what she was, a huge wreck. She looked at the house in front of her, it was blurred by tears but she could still make out the number seven by the door, the numbers of the licence plates of the cars which signalled that they were both in and she wondered to herself why on earth she had chosen there of all places. She was just about to restart the ignition, to drive away so she could wallow in her own self misery when her cell phone began to vibrate and when she looked at the caller I.D she knew she had been spotted and that escape was now not an option.

“If you’re planning on sitting in the car all day you might want to put the top down so you at least get a tan.” Typical of Rachel to joke and be sarcastic when she was pissed off.

“I don’t know why I’m here,” Adie admitted.

“Because I’m your big sister and I’m forced to love you by law no matter how stupid you are,” Rachel again deadpanned, it even managed to make Adie crack a small smile and that was something of a feat. “Front door is open,” Rachel offered and sure enough when Adie looked her huge bellied, rather uncomfortable looking sister was stood holding the large oak door open. She quickly hung up the phone and threw it in her purse before she opened the door to her car and got out. Later on when Adie thought back she wouldn’t recall how she fled up the path to her sister, she wouldn’t know how she ended up in Rachel embrace, all she would remember would be how she sobbed into her sisters shoulder.

***

Nick pulled into the pick up and drop off point at the airport and was greeted by a very pissed off looking Angel. Her eyes zeroed in on Nick as he hoped out of the Range Rover and she didn’t even crack a smile when he went to wrap his arms around her.

“I can’t believe you forgot me,” She pouted as she conceded and hugged her big brother back.

“I didn’t forget!” He tried to protest but they both knew he was lying as he pulled back from her.

“Don’t lie! You so forgot! I mean I expect that from you but I thought Adie would have at least reminded you. What? What I say?” She asked when she noticed Nick expression at the mere mention of Adie’s name.

“She left me,” he admitted softly, dropping his eyes to the floor, grabbing her bags and hauling them round to the trunk before she could say anything more. She met up with him a few moments later, full of questions as she got inside the car where he was already sat.

“What? When? Why didn’t you tell me?”

He remained quiet as he turned on the ignition and pulled away into the surrounding Friday afternoon traffic that surrounded the airport. He didn’t want to talk about it, at the moment he didn’t want to think about it because it meant thinking about how deceitful she had been, about how different she had turned out to be, how she wasn’t the Adie he knew.

“Don’t shrug me off Nick,” Angel warned him.

His tone was angry, harsh and he knew the only reason he was getting angry at his Sister was because he had let Adie drive off earlier. “What do you want me to say? You were right?! Well there you go Angel now you can fucking gloat and say you were!”

“Nick…I…I’d never do that. I just want to help,” she said her tone softening as she shifted in her seat so she was facing him, he kept his face forward though, focusing on the non moving traffic, turning up the radio.

He should have remembered she was coming, should have called and made excuses and cancelled on her he had been to preoccupied though and now he had to tell her how he fucked up yet again. Then again had he fucked up? Adie had been the one to leave, Adie had been the one to keep the secrets. He tried to shake the thoughts from his head, but all he kept hearing was her admission, all he could see was the way the doctor looked at him when his shock at the news was obviously plastered on his face, all he could feel was the cool rush of air as she had sped away without an explanation. He just needed to shut off his mind from it all for a few hours but he just couldn’t because every time he tried something always reminded him of it. Be it a photo, someone else wearing the same perfume, a television show or, like right now, a song on the radio.

“Baby's good to me, you know,
She's happy as can be, you know,
She said so.
I'm in love with her and I feel fine.

Baby says she's mine, you know,
She tells me all the time, you know,
She said so.
I'm in love with her and I feel fine.

I'm so glad that she's my little girl.
She's so glad, she's telling all the world.

That her baby buys her things, you know.
He buys her diamond rings, you know,
She said so.

She's in love with m-”

He quickly flicked the radio off before it managed to get into the second chorus plunging the car into silence. That song hardly ever got air play was it just god being cruel to play their song now? He remembered the day she had proclaimed it as theirs, it had been at one of her friends birthday parties, a sixties theme he could still remember the mini skirt she wore, the bright colours of her eye shadow framing her dark eyes, the way she had pulled him onto the dance floor when any Beatles song had come on. He remembered the way she had changed the lyrics so she was singing it to him.

He should have been so mad at her, but yet here he was reduced to tears when he heard their song. How messed up was that?

“Pull over,” Angel told him firmly as she leant across and flicked the indicator.

“What?” He asked as he switched it back off, trying to compose himself before any more silent tears fell.

“Pull over Nick.”

He sighed at her insistence but did as she said, switching off the engine after he had bought the car to a stop. He watched as Angel got out of the car and walked round the front to his side opening his door.

“What are you doing?” He asked unbuckling his seat belt.

“I’m driving, you are too lost in your head to drive.”

Less then five minutes later they were back on the road and Nick knew that eventually he would have to open up to Angel about it, tell her everything, after all she was going to be an Aunt in five months.

“It was a month ago,” he offered.

She was quiet for a moment and at first he thought she hadn’t heard him because he had spoken so softly but when she sighed he knew she had.

“Why didn’t you call me?” She asked and he could tell that she was hurt he hadn’t.

“Because…I didn’t want to admit that I had failed again, that I had done exactly what you said I would do,” he admitted.

“So did she give you a reason?” She asked.

“I just found her gone when I got back from the last leg of the tour, rocked up home to an empty house and a note saying that she couldn’t do it anymore, that she had lost sight of who she was, that she was done waiting around for me.”

“Bitch.”

“Don’t. Don’t call her that,” Nick warned as he stared out of the window.

“Why? That’s such a heartless thing to do, she didn’t have to balls to do it face to face,” Angel vented angrily.

“It wasn’t the best thing to come home to but I still…I love her Angel and we’ve both done stuff wrong. I just want her back.”

“Have you told her that?” She asked.

“Yeah.” he nodded.

“Well what did she have to say?”

“She said it wouldn’t work, that we were both too different, she knows I’m not willing to compromise and neither is she were the rest of her life is concerned, she said things would be too complicated, that I would end up resenting her for it,” Nick told her getting ahead of himself.

“You’d resent her for getting back together again? That doesn’t make any sense,” Angel said confused.

Nick sighed as he looked out the window to his right, “I’m going to be a Dad.”

“What?!” Angel asked shocked.

“Adie’s four months pregnant,” he shared.

“How long have you known?”

“Little under a week.”

“So…god I wasn’t expecting that,” Angel admitted.

“Yeah me either,” Nick said looking to her, small chuckle even escaping.

“How…are you okay with it? I mean…this is…” Angel stammered.

“Jesus have I finally made you lost for words?” Nick joked.

“Ha fucking ha!”

“I was shocked at first but now…Adie had a sonogram today, it was amazing Angel, it was one of the 4D ones, you could see everything, her little face, her little nose, tiny fingers, it looked like she was waving halfway through,” he beamed.

“She?” Angel questioned.

“Yep I’m going to have a daughter,” he told her his smile growing even wider.

“You’re really excited about this aren’t you?” Angel asked with a smile.

He nodded, “Yeah. I never ever thought I would be, but now that it’s happened and I’ve heard her heartbeat, seen her moving…it’s really difficult to describe how I feel but I’m okay with it, I’m more then okay with it. Adie doesn’t believe me though, not that I can really blame her.”

“So you’ve told her you’re okay with it?” Angel asked as she pulled into Nick’s street.

“Yeah. I’ve told her I want to be involved, that I want us to be a family but she…she says that I can be as involved as I want in the baby’s life but that’s it…we’re finished,” he said getting slightly choked as he rehashed that fight in his mind.

“You’ll get her back.”

“I hope so Angel, God I hope so.”

***

Adie had received the phone call at six am.

Little Max Mclean had made his way into the world at five thirty am, three weeks ahead of schedule and of course it had taken Alex almost five minutes to compose himself enough to tell her all the details through his happy tears but now she was fully updated. Her nephew had arrived after a relatively quick labour of four hours and thirteen minutes, he weighed seven pounds and three ounces, was twenty one inches long and had a set of lungs if the crying Adie had heard in the background had been anything to go by. Rachel was fine, made it through with gas and air and wanted Adie to come and meet her nephew as soon as visiting hours allowed. She had promised to be there as soon as she could and hung up the phone with a smile across her face as she placed her hand to her stomach, feeling how hard it was due to her own baby being in there.

She laid back down in bed hoping to get at least a couple more hours sleep but it was futile because she hadn’t really slept well at all. She had spent most of the previous afternoon and evening with Alex and Rachel. She had managed to compose herself enough to tell Rachel everything, about the previous pregnancy, about the father, about the abortion so had felt so guilty for ever since. Rachel had been slightly shocked to say the least but after Adie had spilled all it was clear to her sister why she was avoiding Nick’s advances about getting back together and being a family. She had managed to convince Adie that Nick needed to know about her past, that he deserved an explanation and then maybe he would also understand.

Rachel had tried to convince her that it wouldn’t matter to Nick, that he would understand and that it was pointless for Adie to be punishing herself in this way because she wasn’t only doing it to herself, she was involving Nick and their unborn daughter and that really wasn’t fair. Although Adie could see her point she wasn’t so sure Nick would understand, she wasn’t convinced that he would see past it and still look at her in the same light, she would still have to tell him though because Chelle had been right, this secret had been eating her alive for years.

She heard a knock at her bedroom door and yelled for Chelle to come on in, smiling at her friend when she joined her in bed.

“Didn’t know whether you would be up.”

“Not really sleeping great at the moment,” Adie admitted.

“You should be getting all the sleep you can.”

“I know. Hey guess what?” Adie asked turning to her friend with a smile.

“What?”

“I have a nephew.”

“Rachel had a boy?! When? What’s his name?” Chelle asked excitedly.

“At just after five thirty this morning, his name is Max and he weighed seven pound three, Alex was bawling like a baby when he called me,” She smiled.

“Won’t be long until I’m getting a phone call like that from Nick,” Chelle replied quickly, her smile dropping when she realised what she had said. “Sorry…I didn’t-”

“It’s fine,” Adie said quickly looking down at her hands in her lap.

“Have you felt any movement yet?” Chelle asked trying to change the subject.

“I’m not sure. It’s not like a definite kick but I get like butterflies sometimes and that’s how they describe it in the book so maybe all I know is that nothing seems to fit anymore then again I’m thankful the morning sickness has stopped.”

“The joys of being pregnant,” Chelle laughed.

“Tell me about it!”

***

Nick peered over Stuart’s shoulder as he held his Grandson and was just blown away by this new person. Completely new, fresh, innocent and unaware of the trials he would face in life. He was wrapped from head to toe in a baby blue blanket, a royal blue hat sat upon his tiny head, his skin tone was dark but then again both Rachel and Alex had olive skin tones, his eyes were closed as he contently slept, his lips occasionally making a sucking motion, which made Nick smile. He wondered what his own baby would look like, would she take after Adie and be ask dark as Max or would she be fair like him? Would she be bigger or smaller? Would she be this contented?

He made himself pull away and walked over to Rachel wrapping her in a big hug as he told her, “He’s gorgeous which means he takes after you so that’s something to be thankful for, oww!” He rubbed his head after the soft toy bounced off it.

“Oh shut up it was a child’s soft toy!” Alex exclaimed.

“He is gorgeous but I’m biased because I’m his Mother,” she said smiling contently as she rested back into the pillows behind her.

“Won’t be long before we’ll be back here again though,” Izzy reminded, smiling brightly at Nick before she took yet another picture of Max. “Are you going to hold him Nick?”

“Sure,” he said as he placed his jacket on the end of Rachel’s bed, accepting the baby as Stuart passed Max to him. He shifted the baby around gently in his arms until he felt comfortable with supporting his head and the rest of his body, gently “sshing” him when he started to fuss from the switch. Conversation between Angel, Alex, Rachel and her Father flowed easily around him but he wasn’t really paying attention to any of it, his whole focus on the child in his arms. He slowly walked around the room, ending up by the window as he thought more and more what he would feel like when he was holding his own child, how amazing it was going to be and how privileged he was to be able to watch and new life that he had helped to create grow and develop.

His thoughts weren’t all positive though because he knew it was going to be far from easy to raise a child between two homes, to look after her on his own for the first few weeks of her life, when she was teething or when she was sick. That was when it hit him hard, he probably wouldn’t get to look after her for the first few months of her life, if Adie chose to breast feed, which he knew she would, she would have to be with her twenty four seven. He was going to miss out on so much, how difficult would it be to get to know her with stolen hours here and there?

“You look deep in thought,” Izzy said coming up beside him at the window.

“It’s going to be a lot different when we’re all here next,” he stated.

“How so?” She asked.

“Can you really see me and Adie being like that?” He said nodding his head over to Alex and Rachel. The whole time Nick had been there they had been touching in some way or another, holding hands, smiling whispering things to each other. Just generally enjoying each other and their son.


“Things might change Nick.”

“She’s too stubborn.”

“She gets that from her Father. Why are you laughing Nickolas?” She asked indignantly, her eyes narrowing and to Nick it was just like staring at Adie when she got that look on her face. Adie had definitely inherited her Mother’s dark, passionate and expressive eyes, Izzy’s held slightly more wisdom, there were a few fine lines, probably from all the worrying she had done about her girls but other then that they were exactly the same.

“Because she’s told me she gets it from you. Shhhhh, shhhhhhh,” he whispered as Max began to fuss again and when it didn’t work he lifted the baby so his head was resting in the crook of Nick’s shoulder, the change in positioning calming the baby instantly. “Is that better?” Nick asked as he leant his head down slightly to place a small kiss to Max’s hat covered head.

“You’re going to be a great Daddy Nick,” Izzy said softly as she smiled warmly at him whilst stroking Max’s back.

***

No one had noticed her yet and so she quickly back tracked out of the room and leant against the wall for some support, trying to take in what she had just seen before her. It was like her life had flashed forward by five months because when she saw Nick with Max it made her heart ache. The way in which he was holding him, the way he tenderly spoke to him, the way he softly leant his head down so he could place a small kiss on the child’s head it wasn’t what she had expected at all. She had thought he would be reluctant to hold him, scared of dropping him like he had been when they had visited Kevin and Kristin when Mason was a few weeks old but yet here he was with Max not even six hours old and he looked like a pro. Maybe he was ready. Who was she trying to kid, she knew he was ready, she had known he was ready from the moment he found out he was having a daughter.

She was the one who hadn’t been.

She took a deep breath in and turned back into the room, smiling brightly at Rachel when her sister spotted her.

“Congratulations,” She said as she wrapped her in a hug before turning to Alex and doing the same. “So where is my nephew?” She asked when she pulled back from the hug.

“Right here,” Nick said smiling to her when she looked over to him. She walked over to the window, saying her hi’s to her Parents along with an awkward one to Angel and before she knew it she was stood next to Nick peering up at the small infant nestled comfortably in his shoulder. He looked so tiny curled up against Nick’s large frame, the one hand the had escaped from the blanket resting against his small mouth.

“He’s gorgeous isn’t he?” Nick said and she nodded in agreement, finding it almost difficult to breath because she knew it would probably leave her in tears. “She will be too,” he said almost proudly as his eyes drifted to Adie’s round tummy. “Wanna hold him?”

“I uh need to use to bathroom first,” she lied, she just needed five more minutes to compose herself. She placed her bag on the edge of Rachel’s bed before she took off her jacket.

“Finally!” Rachel exclaimed making everyone look to her in confusion, “I can start calling you fatty now!”

Adie glanced down at her belly along with everyone else and laughed at her sisters comment. “I’m growing all right.”

“Well she is Nick’s so she’s going to be a big baby,” Alex deadpanned.

“Oh haha you are such a comedian,” Nick whined with a roll of his eyes.

“I’ll be back in a second,” Adie said as she walked out of the room and down to the bathrooms, she didn’t go into the stall though, just leant against the sinks and she stared at her reflection in the mirror. She was just about to splash some water on her face when the door opened again and she looked through the mirror and caught Angel glancing back at her. Adie smiled awkwardly as she turned round to face one of the youngest Carter’s who was a lot wiser for her age the most people expected.

“I saw they way you looked at him when you first came in,” She sated. “You can have that Adie, he’s ready and he’s excited and you guys could be really happy together.”

“It’s complicated Angel.”

“It’s only as complicated as you make it. I know Nick is holding back on a few things and that I don’t know everything that’s going on right now but you have the ability to make him happy here, to make yourself happy. You have the ability to give him the family that he always wanted when we were growing up. You can show him how great life really is and that you don’t have to repeat the same mistakes our parents did. Please don’t steal that from him, don’t let him turn back into the jerk he was when they were getting divorced, don’t let him close off completely.”

“We’re too different,” Adie tried.

“No you’re not. To do this to him is one thing but are you really sure you want to steal your babies family away from her? At some point she is going to find out what happened between you two and at some point she’ll realise that you were the one that stopped her from having a complete family and she’ll end up resenting you for it.” With that said Angel walked into the stall and closed the door leaving Adie to contemplate what had been said as she walked back towards her sisters room.

She was so lost in her thoughts that she almost bumped directly into Nick when he walked out of the room.

“Sorry,” She apologised.

“It’s okay,” he shrugged. “Have you seen Angel?”

“Bathroom.”

“Are you okay?” He asked noticing her subdued mood.

“Fine.”

“What did she say to you?” He sighed as he leant against the wall.

“Nothing.”

“If she upset you I want to know,” he told her firmly.

“She didn’t. Are you leaving?” She asked noticing how he had his coat in his hand.

“Yeah.”

“I’ll uh give you a call in a couple of days, let you know when the next doctors appointment is.”

“Thanks, I’ll see you later,” he said as he walked in the direction of the bathrooms. She watched until he was out of her line of sight and then entered the room, smiling at Rachel and wrapping her arm around her as she perched herself down on the bed.

“What was it like?” Adie asked.

“Painful,” Rachel said making her sister roll her eyes.

“I already know that.”

“It was amazing. When he was out and he cried…” she said shaking her head in amazement, “…it didn’t matter that I had been in agony. When I held him…he looked up and me straight away with these big eyes and I’m hooked I never thought in a million years I could love someone that unconditionally that quick but I do. It’s amazing and it makes me so excited for you. You gona hold him? I’m not sure how much more battery life Mom has left in the camera,” Rachel joked.

“She bought two sets of spares,” Their Father told them.

Adie gently took the baby out of his Father’s arms when he was offered and snuggled him close to her chest, “Look at you,” she said as she softly stroked a finger down his cheek. “Oh hi,” she said with a smile when Max opened his eyes to look at her. She looked eyes with the newborn, flashes of seeing Nick with him also flooding her mind and all of a sudden she found herself sobbing. Alex lifted Max out of her arms before Rachel wrapped her arms tightly around her sister.

“Go and talk to him.”

***

It had taken Adie almost half an hour to be able to calm herself enough so she could drive and when she had gotten into the car it had been so stifling hot she had had to put the top down so she wouldn’t overheat.

That had been mistake number one.

 

And when it rains,
On this side of town it touches, everything.
Just say it again and mean it.
We don't miss a thing.
You made yourself a bed
At the bottom of the blackest hole (blackest hole)
And convinced yourself that
It's not the reason you don't see the sun anymore

And oh, oh, how could you do it?
Oh I, I never saw it coming.
Oh, oh, I need the ending.
So why can't you stay
Just long enough to explain?

She was halfway through her journey when she could see the clouds in the distance, dark and encroaching and she had just hoped that it would hold off for the last fifteen minutes of the journey without her having to stop again. Luck hadn’t been on her side though and it the heavens literally opened, almost soaking her within the matter of seconds it took for her to pull over and get the roof back up.

Mistake number two was pulling over onto a grassy verge.

And when it rains,
Will you always find an escape?
Just running away,
From all of the ones who love you,
From everything.
You made yourself a bed
At the bottom of the blackest hole (blackest hole)

And you'll sleep 'til May
And you'll say that you don't want to see the sun anymore
And oh, oh, how could you do it?
Oh I, I never saw it coming.
And oh, oh, I need the ending.
So why can't you stay just long enough to explain?

It been raining so heavily during the night that the grass had become boggy, the weight from the car making the back tires sink slightly, making it virtually impossible for her to get out without being towed, her futile attempts wedging her in further. She angrily hit against the steering wheel making the horn sound as she herself let out a frustrated yell. She looked out of the window at the pouring rain knowing she had two choices, call triple A and get them to tow her out or walk in the pouring rain. She knew the first option was the most sensible but she also knew that in the time it took for them to get to her she would be able to convince herself she was making a mistake, that she would loose all confidence in going to Nick and being completely honest with him. So she grabbed her bag, found her umbrella and got out of the car into the pouring rain, starting what would be the forty minute walk as soon as she locked the car.

When her umbrella wouldn’t stay up she decided that this was God’s payback and when she approached the next trashcan the useless item was thrown inside.

What should have felt like forever what with walking in the rain, felt like five minutes and before she knew it she was stood at the end of the driveway to the house she had once shared with him. She knew he was in because the car was in driveway, the studio light on the first floor also on due to the rain clouds occluding the light from the sun making the day appear so dim.

It would have been so easy to just carry on walking, to avoid him and leave this for another day. She had been taking the easy road for too long though and now she needed to do something that was going to be incredibly difficult. She just hoped he would still feel the same way after he knew because she didn’t know what she was going to do if he didn’t.

So with a deep breath she walked up the pathway, up the porch steps and raised her finger to the bell. It took her a good two minutes to find the courage to actually make it ring and when she heard it’s loud sound followed by Layla’s bark she regretted pushing it, wondering if she could make it out of sight before he got the door. She shook her head at herself and remained were she was, her heart beating as fast and as loud as the sounds Nick made when he came bounding down the hardwood of the stairs and before she knew it he was stood in front of her.

“Adie?” He asked.

“I want to come home,” she mumbled as she wiped some moisture from her face, it could have been rain or it could have been tears she wasn’t sure, the only thing she knew was that he hadn’t heard her correctly because of how she mumbled.

“Yeah you can come in,” he said opening the door wider.

She shook her head at him before repeating, “No, I said I want to come home.”

 

Take your time.
Take my time.

Take these chances to turn it around. (take your time)
Take these chances, we'll make it somehow
And take these chances to turn it around. (take my...)
Just turn it around.

Oh, how could you do it?
Oh I, I never saw it coming.
Oh, oh, how could you do it?
Oh I, I never saw it coming.
Oh, oh, how could you do it?
Oh I, I never saw it coming.
Oh, oh I need an ending.

So why can't you stay
Just long enough to explain?

You can take your time, take my time.

 

 

Song Credits:

I Feel Fine - The Beatles

When it Rains - Paramore

Chapter End Notes:
Let me know what you think!