- Text Size +
Diamond bounded out of the room and quickly ran to Nick. “I get to go to the finals!”

Nick crossed his arms as a scowl covered his face, “‘Hey Nicky,’ huh?”

“It was Lancy’s idea!” Diamond chirped. “Oh! I should text him!” She pulled out her phone and proceeded to type on the keypad.

“You were flirting with other men while singing my name!” Nick spat, pulling her phone from her.

Diamond looked up into his eyes; they almost burned in anger. He put his hand on her shoulder.

“Entry number 006913,” the male voice called again.

Nick grumbled, slowly removing his hand from her shoulder and phone. He stuck his hands in his pockets as he shuffled toward the open door.

Nick faked a smile for the judges. “My name is Nick Carter, and I will be singing…” He paused momentarily; Lancy had given Diamond an idea, but he had no plan at all! He put his hand to his head and spit out, “an untitled song.”

“Interesting…” murmured the heavy judge, studying him carefully through his glasses.

“Very well. Off you go,” came the British judge’s curt command.

Nick searched his head for the first line that came to mind. “If you want it to be good, girl, get yourself a bad boy!” Nick paused momentarily, and then began doing some sort of pop-locking dance with pelvic thrusts. Something he found to be truly ingenious for having just come up with the song he sang. “If you want it to be wild…”

“Gotta know just who to dial, baby (that's me)
If you really like it hot
Get someone who hits the spot, honey (oh yes)”


Nick spotted a folding chair leaning against the wall. He strutted over to it as though it had been his plan to grab it all along. “And if you want it to get done…”

“Babe, you gotta get the one
The one who's got it goin' on
If you wanna make it last
Gotta know just who to ask
Babe, he's gotta be the best (tonight it's me)”


Nick unfolded the flimsy metal chair and gave it a swift kick. “If you want it to be good, girl, get yourself a bad boy!” He then started a dance that involved a little kicking the chair, and a little picking up the chair, and a little walking away with the chair. He continued his previous awkward, split-second dance from before he spied the chair. He also proceeded to hump the chair at one point. “If you really want it good girl, get yourself a bad boy…”

“Get it like it could be, would be
Yeah, like it should be
If you want it to be good, girl
Get yourself a bad boy
If you like it innovative
Better get someone creative, honey (yes)
And if you want it to be jammin'
Gotta get somebody slammin’, baby (oh yeah)”


The judges stared at Nick, completely speechless.

Seeing their impressed - disgusted was probably a better word - reactions, Nick continued his impromptu song and dance. “And if you want it to get done…”

“Babe, you gotta get the one
The one who's got it goin' on
If you wanna make it last
Gotta know just who to ask
Babe, he's gotta be the best (tonight it's me)
If you want it to be good, girl
Get yourself a bad boy
If you really want it good, girl
Get yourself a bad boy
Get it like it could be, would be
Yeah, like it should be
If you want it to be good, girl
Get yourself a bad boy"


He then walked over to female evaluator and leaned against her section of the table, letting out a low chuckle. “Now listen: these are things your mama shouldn't know…”

“These are things I really wanna show
These are things I wanna show you how
So won't you let me show you right now? (ooh baby)
And if you want it to get done…”
Babe, you gotta get the one
The one who's got it goin' on
If you wanna make it last
Gotta know just who to ask
Babe, he's gotta be the best (tonight it's me)
If you want it to be good, girl
Get yourself a bad boy
If you really want it good, girl
Get yourself a bad boy
Get it like it could be, would be
Yeah, like it should be
If you want it to be good, girl
Get yourself a bad boy
If you really want it good…”


The British critic finally put his hand up to stop Nick’s display.

“Wow… I dunno, dawg,” said the first judge, shaking his head critically. “That song was just weird, man. But look, man, check it out – the singing actually wasn’t too bad. I kinda like your voice; I think you’ve got some talent, dawg. I’ll say yes, but pick a better song next time, dawg.”

“Well, I thought the whole performance was fantastic!” exclaimed the female judge, her dark eyes shining as she looked upon Nick in admiration. “You have a real talent! You’re a natural performer; I loved the choreography! And your voice is just orgasmic…

“Okay, Paulette!” interjected the British man loudly, his eyes widening. Chuckling, he shook his head at Nick and said, “If this were a dancing competition, it’d be a no from me. The choreography reminded me of some horrid boyband from the late nineties. If it were a songwriting competition, it’d be a definite no. The song was appalling. But… it’s a singing competition, and you can sing. So it’s a yes. And I’ll agree with Randolph – you’d be smart to pick a much better song for the next audition.”

Smirking, Nick nodded and left the stage. How had he managed to pull that off?


± ± ±


"Still got an itch down there?" she asked, tinkering with a new weapon before her, having set aside the in progress automatic bra due to a mental block on how to work a problem out. Now the female agent had a stylish hat sitting before her. One of her superior's, actually. She tapped her fingers against the metal shimmering desk before her, wondering how she was going to accomplish the image she had in mind. An artist really, when it came to coming up with these ideas of hers.

The male agent turned, with a raised brow, away from the screen, and she smirked in response. He was far too entertained by the images before him.

"No, not anymore. Heh, man has his needs too."

"Any sign of the figure you thought might be the guest our lovely blonde duo are looking for?"

He chuckled as he scratched his arm, before rubbing the goatee he had growing. "Funny you tease them about that."

"Exception here."

"Funny though."

"Oh shush, at least we know they're in."

He snickered to himself. "And how they got in. Did you see her?"

Her blue eyes focused once more on the object before her. "Yes, but I didn't stare like you did."

"Nah, your eyes were turned towards Nick more."

"Oh, was not. Out of concern, purely. Didn't know he had such a voice, though; boy never shows it off."

"Right, change the subject."

"Heh." Her gaze went back on the hat. She picked it up and started turning it around in her hands. Now, how to get a razorblade discreetly in the bill area of the fedora...

Jay's voice got her attention. "Isn't that one of mine?"

Pearl grinned a bit, still examining the onyx-colored fedora hat before her, the flawless white feather tucked along the side of it sliding against her slender fingers. "Got an idea for it. Any sign of the company you spotted yet?"

The dark-haired superior agent shook his head as he turned his attention back to the monitor. "Not yet. Could have been seeing things; I don't think my agents spotted it either."

"You likely did see something; you've been in the game longer, trained us..."

He tapped his fingers against the metal of the table, much like the companion nearby had been doing moments before. "That, or I'm worried."

"It’s natural. Trust me. I'm like that right now too."

"You? You've been like that since the incident. You and Nick both."

"And you haven't?" she pointed out.

"Not as bad," he retorted.

She shook her head and got her tools out, again unwilling to discuss it. "Let’s just focus on what needs to be done."


± ± ±


Nick tried to listen to the judges intently, but a slight motion in the back caught his eye. A shadow near the sound control panel behind the judges. Nick opened his mouth slightly, beginning to pull his gun from his pocket, before coming to the realization that he was trying to not draw attention to himself. The only good point about pulling out that gun would be that he could finish his domino project back at Himitsu Takana. Nick turned back to the judges, keeping the figure in his peripheral vision. To insinuate his focus, Nick gave a few nods here and there.

Nick bolted out of the room to find Diamond. “Di—” He stopped himself abruptly. “Desiree!”

Diamond looked up from her phone, seeing Nick’s energetic running and shouting. She gave him a gleaming smile. “You made it too! Let’s get drinks and a hotel room and celebrate!”

Nick shook his head. “Yes, but no.”

Diamond pouted. “No?”

Nick wrapped his arm around her. “Well… I can’t resist that face…” Nick hit himself in the head. “What am I doing?”

“Buying me dinner,” Diamond piped up.

“No, I mean…” Nick put his head in his hand for a minute. “There was someone messing with the sound panel!”

“The sound panel?” Diamond puzzled. She gasped in surprise, covering her mouth with her hand. “You mean the people that are infiltrating the competition have struck?”

Nick nodded.

Diamond looked around. “How do we get there?” She then pointed to the door. “There?”

“Quietly,” Nick nodded. “As much as I miss my dominoes, I’m not going back to HimTak.”

“You played with dominoes?” Diamond squealed.

Nick put his hand over her mouth and shook his head. “I’ll explain tonight.”

“In bed?” Diamond’s muffled voice broke through his hand.

“Wherever you want,” Nick whispered, winking as he pulled his gun from his pocket. His other hand remained over Diamond’s mouth.

“This is a nice fantasy,” she mused, “being kidnapped by Agent 008. Can we play this tonight?”

“Yes, and it’s 00Carter!” Nick hissed. He pulled the door lightly, and the two stalked through the shadows quietly. The current audition was ending poorly.

“What was that?!” the dry, English-accented voice sputtered. “That was quite possibly the worst audition I have ever witnessed. Are you serious?”

The poor girl on stage was quickly reduced to tears. It was painful to watch.

Nick looked up to where he had seen the shadowed figure. Nothing. He let out a growl. Where could the shadow have gone? He clenched his fist. This mission was his chance to prove himself, and already he was getting distracted by playing sex games with Diamond and posing as an idol. He had even gone so far as composing and choreographing a song while he was in the process of singing it! K would love this; he’d call him a disgrace for sure. And then he’d be stuck back at Himitsu Takana trying to line dominoes all through the building. Of course, K would have discovered the dominoes by then, and he’d have to find some new activity to occupy his time! If they didn’t lock him in his office while wearing a straight jacket first…

When the next contestant began, Nick dragged Diamond from the room while putting his gun back in his pocket. No sound emitted from his motions. Once outside, he frivolously checked the time on his watch. After remembering it was incapable of telling time, he managed to find the communicator once more. “Pearl!” he shouted, “Pearl, what’s the time?!” He hit his head again. “I mean… Pearl, we have a problem!”


± ± ±


She glanced up from her computer. She had been trying to figure out how long it would take the infiltrators to get the hypnotic device to work, if her theory on it was correct, that was. If she only knew who was leading the enemy's operation, she could try and track them on her computer and see if she could hack her way into data on it, or at least some kind of blueprints for the hypnotic device they would be using. For now, all she had were theories, and it irked her greatly.

Her superior used his chair to roll towards the screen and bring back Nick and Diamond as the sole camera focus on the monitor. After all, they were the main focus at the moment. Before they had brought them into focus, the main screen had been split between all the agents out at the moment, so one could view all missions in progress if he or she wished.

Pearl touched her headset idly. "Relax. Oh, and it’s 9 p.m., by the way. What's the problem?"

"They struck, or at least started to," Nick replied as he started scanning the area, wondering how they had possibly tampered with the system. He and Diamond were both unsure if the figure had actually done it, or if he had run off at the sound or sight of Nick.

Diamond smirked as she ran her hand along the complicated sound system, keeping an eye out for anyone seeing two "contestants" out where they weren't supposed to be. She'd handle it, male or female, easily; nothing a little flirting couldn't solve if that tiny problem arose. Still, it'd be nicer if it didn't at all. Nick would likely love it if a female found them, though, and Diamond put her flirting skills to play... now there was a fun game to play. Another time, of course.

"When did this happen?" Pearl asked, bringing the attention of both agents back to where it should be.

"Towards the end of my audition," the male replied as he started checking out the sound device more closely. "I'd tell you when, but my watch doesn't tell time, remember?"

The agent next to her snickered as he heard Nick. "Watch that doesn't tell time, huh?"

A glare aimed at him from the intelligent female got him to silence his chuckles. "Shush, Blondie. Jay, don't even go there."

"How can a watch not tell time?"

Diamond raised a brow as she listened to the noise emitting from the watch. "Your watch doesn't tell time?"

"Can we lay off the watch? It does everything else under the sun," she pouted. "00Carter, were you facing this direction when you saw the enemy strike?"

He nodded. "Yeah, which wasn't easy while I was supposed to be paying attention to snotty judges."

Jay went to another computer that was hooked up to the camera system. He and K both knew the basics of bringing up the camera feed; they had to, though Pearl by default knew the most, since she had upgraded it soon after she had first taken over the science department. He started skimming back towards Nick's audition and paused when he thought he saw some sort of figure beyond where the judges were sitting. He waved Pearl over. “Looks like that's him." He had the computer zoom in on the image, but, unfortunately, the features couldn't be made out because Nick had been too far away. However, they had gotten the time. 8:35 p.m. "Think you can hack into their camera system and find him?"

She stretched a bit, cracking her back against her chair. "I can, but it might take a few. With this contest, they probably have more security walls than the CIA does for their entire system."

"Get to it."

She rolled the chair back to her own computer and started typing furiously. "It’s kind of sad, really, since it’s a TV show made to mock everyone, and they protect it more than governments protect their secrets. 'Cause we all know knowing the winner too soon will cause the end of the world sooner than secret locations of weaponry and terrorist bases."

Nick snickered. "Or instructions on how to make watches that don't tell time."

"Watch it, or you can walk home."

Jay chuckled. "You two keep an eye out. Diamond, go back to where the other contestants are and see if you can find anything. We'll send you the information as soon as we get it. Nick, make sure your camera takes the entire sound system in so we can see if we can find any abnormalities. Any new CDs in, any new songs programmed, anything new or different, point it out."

The female agent was silent but for the sound of her slender fingers tapping against the keys of her keyboard, her eyes focused on the screen, decoding as fast as she could so she could hack into the system at MGM Grand Casino's camera and security system. Despite how the TV show would have a lockdown on everything, they might not have covered every camera in the casino, and that was what she was counting on. If they had, that meant more work trying to drill a hole through the many protective walls they undoubtedly had guarding recordings of the show.

"I don't see anything different. I think he caught my gaze earlier and split before changing anything."

"Alright, 008-"

"00Carter!"

"Did you catch any details on him that might be useful?" He scratched his tanned arm, knowing they had to nip this operation in the bud, and quietly as well.

"I think he had blonde hair."

"Well that narrows it down," Pearl quipped as she kept typing.

"I ain't done; blond hair, skinny frame, sort of like...the old 009's, but this guy looked uglier from a distance."

She winced at the mention, but continued listening to Nick as she got further into the system. "Continue."

"Might have been wearing blue, not sure, it’s pretty dark back here."

Jay jotted this down. "If nothing else, this is a start. Have you seen him audition yet?"

Nick paused before part of the audio controls. "I didn't recognize him, so I don't think so."

"Alright, watch the rest of the-"

"Got it!" she exclaimed next to the superior above her, turning the screen towards him.

"It’s not that clear."

"Blame the lighting. It’s better than the other, and you get a better idea of the features here. I can start running scans to see if it matches anyone signed up to audition at Global Idol, if I can ever get into their files. The casino is one thing; the Global Idol database might be harder. I'm sending the picture to the watch, which should print out a picture that's about half the size of a wallet size. Hence why it can't tell time. Diamond will get a copy through her phone. I'm focusing it as much as I can, but it’s still a bit blurry."

"You have your suspect; now get to it," Jay commanded before the woman beside him shut off her communication link.

She continued typing, already trying to see if she could get into the show's system, knowing the time it would take her. He was digging through the files on their own database, seeing if it might match anyone the agency had encountered before. The two were determined to help their agents find their man, no matter who tried to stop them. They were going to eliminate anyone who wanted to get in the way. Anyone.


± ± ±