- Text Size +
Interlude



The audience applauds as we return to the room where Nick and Drums sit before a roaring fire, the children gathered eagerly around their feet.

“Wasn’t that a touching holiday tale?” Nick asks them, and the audience applauds in agreement.

“You clownin’, dawg!” exclaims Drums.

“Ah, ah, ah, Drums! Remember our agreement,” Nick warns him. “Only proper English on this most traditional of holidays.”

“Why, of course, 00Carter. My mistake,” Drums admits grudgingly. “What I meant to say was, I think you’re a bit ‘touched’ in the head, my friend.”

“And why would you say that?”

“Because your tale only told half the story. You neglected to show the other side. What was Dr. Rough’s motive for wanting to steal Christmas? And where was Dr. Rough – and I, as a matter of fact, during the whole debacle? While you were tripping up our minions with toys, we were unleashing our mayhem on the rest of the city!”

Nick snorts. “Trying to, anyway!”

“We were!” Drums insists. “And, until you showed up, we were succeeding!”

“Key words there being, ‘Until we showed up,’” laughs Nick. “HimTak always wins, Drums, just as good always triumphs over evil. When are you going to get that through your curly, misshapen head?”

Glaring, Drums starts to rise from his seat. “Why, you little-”

“ANYWAY!” Nick continues loudly. “You do make a good point, Drumzy, old pal. There is another side of this story to be told, so why don’t you tell us now?

Drums settles stiffly back into his seat. “As a matter of fact, I think I will.” Regaining his composure, he opens the book on his lap. “And now for our second tale… of ‘How Dr. Rough Stole Christmas.’”





± ± ±