- Text Size +
Ashley fumbled through a mess of papers on her desk and sighed. She loved her job, but when it came to staying organized during deadlines of charity events, it was hopeless.

“Where the hell is that grant letter?” she mumbled as she pushed papers to the side. “Fuck,” she muttered as she gave herself a paper cut in the process. “Damn it.”

“Ashley, Brian Littrell is on line one,” her secretary said over the speaker phone.

“Great,” Ashley said as she licked her finger. She picked up the phone and put on her best cheery voice. “This is Ashley.”

“Hey, it’s Brian Littrell,” he replied.

Ashley chuckled to herself. She was very aware of who he was. They’d only been working together in the Healthy Heart Club for the past six years. Even though they’d never met face to face, she knew he would always call a month before a charity event.

“What can I do for you?” she asked as she examined her finger.

“I was wondering if you ever found someone to appear at the Bowl-a-thon?”

Ashley rolled her eyes and aggravation. “No, not yet. We’re still working on that.”

“Well, stop looking because I’ll be around in time for that.”

“You’re going to make an appearance?”

“Absolutely,” he said in a cheerful tone.

“Great, I’ll pencil you in,” she said as she looked around for her calendar book.

“I assume you’ll be there too,” he said softly.

“Most likely,” she said, feeling a little foolish for blushing.

“Well, I look forward to finally meeting you.”

“Same to you,” she replied with a smile.

“I won’t take any more of your time. I shall see you in about three weeks.”

“Looking forward to it. Have a nice day,” she said then hung up the phone.

Ashley sat her desk and smiled. She wasn’t even sure why she was smiling in the first place. It wasn’t like it was the first time she’d talked to him.

“This is ridiculous,” she muttered then went back to searching for her grant letter. “Alright, that’s it. I’m cleaning my desk,” she continued to mumble.

She was in the middle of organizing papers when her secretary came into her office. Ashley looked up and stopped what she was doing.

“Yes?”

“Your husband is here,” she said softly.

“Send him in,” Ashley replied half heartedly.

She went back to organizing her papers as her husband came into her office. Ashley didn’t bother to look up at him as he shut the door. He placed a vase of roses on her desk and stepped back. Ashley glanced at the roses and sighed.

“Shawn, what is this?”

“Roses,” he replied.

“I know that, but why are you bringing them to my office?”

“I just wanted to say I was sorry about last night.”

Ashley shook her head and disregarded his comment. “I’m really busy.”

“So, what, you’re not even going to talk to me now?”

“Not while I’m at work. The fact that you had the nerve to come up here and give me roses like everything is okay actually pisses me off.”

“Baby, what can I do to make you believe how sorry I am?”

“Jumping off a cliff would be a start,” she muttered while sorting through papers.

“That’s no way to treat to your husband,” he commented.

“Neither is coming home at three in the morning with lipstick on your collar,” she spat.

“I told you I was sorry.”

“Look, just leave. I’m not about to lose my job over this. I’ll talk to you when I get home.”

“But--”

“Go!”

“Fine,” he said as he threw his hands up in the air. “I’ll see you at home.”

Ashley didn’t say anything to him as he left her office. She snarled her lip as she looked at the roses. Of all the low things he could’ve done, having an affair was the worst. She sighed loudly and shook the thoughts of her husband out of her mind. It was time to concentrate on her job. Her home life would have to wait.