- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
OMG...it's been WAY too long...but we're BACK! We hope you guys are still interested in the story.
The chapters, this time, are crazy long, but there's a TON of good stuff, in them!
Please let us know what you think...we'd appreciate it!
“Well then, Nick,” Kevin cocked his head to the side glaring at the younger man, “what do you suggest we do?” He wasn’t too happy about how Nick seemed to think he could take charge.

“Um…just…let me think for a minute,” Nick turned, looking around the room. His eyes drifted from corner, to corner, looking for a clue or sign…which chest was the right one?

“I say we suck it up and pick the blue one,” Brian sighed, loudly, his irritation growing. He wanted to be home…in bed…hell, anywhere but in this stupid game!

“It’s a trick though,” Nick faced the group, again. “Usually, you only get one prize…that means that the other chest has to be a trap or something.” He insisted, knowing that he was right, and frustrated that the guys were questioning him…after all, they tended to harass him about the number of hours he would sit and play video games.

“How can you be sure?” Howie asked, as he squatted in front of the red jeweled chest, letting his fingers run over the embedded jewels.

“You can’t be.” AJ answered as he placed a hand, on each side, of the blue jeweled chest. His hands were about to flip the top open when a loud howl stopped him.

“What the…” Brian whipped around, looking for the source of the howl.

“I wouldn’t do that if I were you.” The voice boomed, through the room, making them all jump.

“Um…” Kevin’s eyes were glued to the source of the new voice. “Why is there…”

“..and how can we understand it?” Howie interjected as the five men stood frozen, looking up at the being, before them.

“Shut the fuck up.” AJ scolded, sending Howie a warning look.

“Yeah. You understand it because you’re supposed to, and you have to listen, or you’ll miss something important,” Nick concluded as he stared down, at the wolf.

“That chest will return you to the beginning of the game, if you dare to open it.” The voice carried a tone, that made them back away from the chests.

“We sure don’t want that,” Brian scoffed, receiving an elbow to his ribs.

“Shut up, church boy, or we’ll miss something. Didn’t you hear what Nick said?” AJ scowled quickly, before turning back to the talking wolf, giving it his full attention.

“There is a quest that lies ahead of you. You must find the Prince’s sister…” Speaking in a slow voice, the wolf began its explanation.

“Wouldn’t it be easier to just call her a princess?” Howie’s voice was only a low whisper, but he couldn’t help voicing himself. Part of him was still reluctant to even continue, with this charade.

“Shhhhhhh,” Nick waved a hand at Howie’s face and knelt in front of the wolf, AJ right beside him.

“The prince’s sister is in grave danger and must be saved, from a horrible fate.” Steadily, the voice carried on.

“So we have to save some chick?” Kevin questioned, his voice portraying not only boredom, but irritation, as well.

“SHUUUT UUUP!” Nick and AJ screamed, giving the older men glances, of agitation. The two youngest members continued to listen closely, while the wolf continued.

“She holds the key.”

“What key?” Kevin’s voice caused both Nick, and AJ, to jump to their feet.

“You know what?” AJ’s glare bore into the older man, his voice rising, in anger.

“How about we don’t listen to the wolf,” Nick cut in, over AJ, his own voice dripping with sarcasm and disbelief. “then we won’t know what we’re supposed to do.” Usually the older one’s were begging for them to listen, and were enraged when they didn’t…now the tables seemed to be turned.

“Then we’ll get lost and spend the next four hours trying to figure out what the fuck is going on.” AJ continued as he and Nick stared at the three older men.

“When we finally do figure out what to do, we’ll get killed because we won’t be prepared, for it.” Nick stood, hands on his hips, looking from Brian to Howie and back to Kevin.

“See? Nick and I thought we were trying to get out of this game. Not screw, the fuck, around all damn day.” His left brow lifted, AJ waited for a response.

“Alright, enough,” Kevin huffed, furrowing his eyebrows that had grown back, twice their original size.

“We get it guys,” Howie nodded, “we weren’t thinking.” They all looked back towards the wolf, to find it curled in a ball, sleeping. Nick walked over and crouched down, next to it.

“We’re ready now,” he spoke softly, making the wolf move slightly. Only a moment later, the wolf was back, at full attention, and talking to them, again.

“You will need the key. You must find her, but you won’t be able to pass the guards looking like that!” The wolf began to circle the men, howling. Each howl changed in tone, and pitch.

“What is it doing?” AJ whispered, leaning his head towards Nick.

“I’m not sure. It’s almost like…” Nick was unable to finish his sentence, before they were suddenly floating. High above the ground, the men floated, unable to move.

“HOOOOWOOOOOO!” The wolf’s shrill howl was followed by flashing swirls of light and gusts of wind. Multi-colored sparks surrounded the men, as they continued to helplessly float in mid-air. “OW OW OOOOWOOOOO HOWOOO!”

Smoke swirled, underneath the five men, turning colors and then rising up around them. Suddenly, after several more bright flashes, of light, the five men dropped to the floor. The thud rang out, in the room, indicating that they were no longer floating. Shaking off the odd feeling that was tingling, in each of them, they all began to stand.

“What the…?” AJ’s voice was raspy and strained, as he looked around, not seeing the other guys. Confusion filled his veins, as he looked around.

“Where’d everyone go?” Howie asked, looking around, just as perplexed.

“I’m right next to you,” Brian looked to where the voice had come from, but didn’t see any of his band mates.

“I’m confused,” Kevin admitted, trying to piece everything together. He heard their voices, but didn’t see their faces, and couldn’t understand what was happening around him.

“Oh come on guys,” A light colored wolf walked to the center of the room. “Isn’t it obvious? We all just got turned into wolves.” Rolling his eyes, Nick acted as if everyone should have expected the events.

“Nick?” Brian questioned, as he walked up to find that he met the wolf eye, to eye.

“No, I’m the Easter Bunny. Look down at your feet Brian.” A huff escaped Nick’s mouth, as he waited, in anticipation, for Brian’s reaction.

“AAAAAH! I HAVE PAWS!” Brian screamed, once he observed the sandy brown fur covering his feet.

“Sweet! There is always something I’ve wanted to do,” AJ piped up. “Watch this, guys.” AJ walked to the center of the room, causing the others to back up a bit. “Ready? Check it out!”

“Oh you have got to be kidding me!” Kevin’s groan sounded more like a low howl, as he watched Nick join AJ, in the festivities.

“Woooo!” Nick howled. “I got it! I got it! I caught my tail!”

“Lord help me,” Brian sighed, looking up to the heavens.

“I….can’t….” AJ’s breaths were labored as he spun, in circles, at a high rate of speed. His dark grey and black fur became a blur. “…catch…mine! How’d you…do it…Nick?”

“I never imagined, in my wildest dreams, that I would be sitting here watching AJ and Nick chase their tails,” Howie snorted, sitting down, to watch.

“I never thought I’d see a day where they would even have tails,” Kevin tilted his head and looked at Howie.

“Touché.” Howie tilted his head, the long scruffy dark fur, flopping in his eyes.

“STOP IT!” Brian’s loud voice screeched through the air. “We need to figure out what we’re doing! Oh, and can someone tell me how we are wolves, but still talking like we’re humans?”

“That’s easy,” Nick chuckled. “We are all wolves, so we automatically understand each other. If someone were watching us on the TV, they would probably hear all howls and stuff, and then the words would scroll on the bottom or something, like that. As for the other thing…the wolf is probably standing outside, waiting for us to follow. They always do, in these games. He’s, most likely, going to be a guide of some sort, for a little while. Once we exit the room, we’ll see him and he’ll take off in the direction we’re supposed to go”

“Oh dear God!” Kevin moaned loudly, and collapsed to the floor with a huff.

“What’s wrong?” Howie was immediately at his side, looking at him, with concern.

“We’re all screwed! There is no possible way this can be good,” Kevin’s body shook slightly, as if he were about to cry.

“Care to enlighten us, as to what your issue is, Kevin?” AJ rolled his eyes, impatiently.

“Don’t you get it? Nick is the brains here! NICK is the fucking brains of this whole damn thing! Our entire fate depends on NICK to get us through this...NICK!!! Nothing ever turns out right, when Nick is the brain of the operation! O dear God, I wanna go hoooooome.”

“Who knew Kevin was going to be the first to crack?” AJ snickered. “I have to say that Nick knows the most about video games, so he is the best suited to be our leader.”

“AJ? Do you hear yourself?” Howie questioned, tilting his head. “Besides, Nick already said that you must be the lead character of the game.”

“Well yeah, he must be,” Nick finally joined in. “He’s the only one who can open doors and stuff.”

“But that doesn’t mean you aren’t the brain of it all,” AJ pointed out. “I’ll just have to consult with you, on everything. You know, since you’ve got the know-how and all.”

“Um…question…since we aren’t supposed to open the red jeweled chest, don’t we get to open the blue one?” Tilting his head, Brian looked to Nick and AJ, for an answer.

“Oh yeah! I almost forgot!” Nick nodded. “Go ahead Aje…do the honors.”

“Right…sure thing, Nickers.” He walked over, to the blue jeweled chest, and kicked it open. The lip flew open, revealing five set of silver cuffs. Rising, into the air, the cuffs floated toward them. Clanking, the cuffs attached to them, just above their front paws. They looked down, not understanding what the silver metal, around their front legs, was for.

“Evidently, we’ll need these later…come on, we better gather ourselves up and go find the wolf,” Nick shrugged and motioned for AJ to open the door. AJ complied and grabbed the oversized handle, between his teeth, and yanked it open. A loud creak filled the air, as AJ swung the door wide open, allowing the bright sunshine to fill the room.

“Look, there he is,” Brian nodded towards a hill nearby. The wolf was sitting atop of the hill, facing into the wind. It almost looked, to him, like a picture from a magazine.

“I told you he would be waiting,” Nick chuckled as the five men headed towards the hill. Not being very steep, the hill was easy for them to climb. As they neared the top, the wolf took off to the east. “Come on, we have to follow him!”

“Yeah, so you already told us,” Kevin snapped.

“Don’t sound so bitter,” AJ called out, over his shoulder, as they ran. They followed the wolf out into a large pasture.

“Uhoh…”Nick stopped, looking around at all the floating flowers.

“Aren’t those flowers good? I thought they were a good thing.” Howie’s face reflected his confusion.

“DON’T!” Nick stopped Howie from grabbing the flowers. “You are at full health…you don’t need them…none of us do…that’s why it’s a bad thing.”

“Care to elaborate?” Brian pushed for an explanation. Tilting his head, he waited for an answer…knowing it was coming from the odd source, of Nick’s mouth.

“Think guys,” AJ tuned to face the others. “If we are all at full health, why would we need those health restoring flowers?”

“Um…” Kevin started to answer, but fell silent as an answer didn’t come.

“Alright…basically…something is about to happen to make us need those. Since nothing has come yet, I am guessing we haven’t walked far enough into the field.” Nick explained carefully, receiving blank stares from Kevin, Brian, and Howie.

“In other words…” AJ barked, “get ready to fucking bite some asses and tear some fucking flesh…Whoo! Let’s do this!”

“Wow, couldn’t have been any more polite, than that,” Brian replied, sarcastically, getting tired of AJ’s rude demeanor.

“Deal with it, church boy,” AJ eyed Brian, before turning back to Nick. “Let’s get down to some fucking business, Nickers.”

“Hellz yeah! Let’s get it on!” Nick nodded, excitedly, as he and AJ charged into the pasture. The two, over enthusiastic, men made it to the middle of the pasture, but they skidded to a stop as mutated drones rose from the ground.

“Fuck yeah! Welcome to Paris, baby!” AJ screamed, before biting the leg of a mutated Paris drone. Shaking his head, he let his teeth shred the flesh.

“Payback’s a bitch!” Nick’s voice dripped with satisfaction when his hind legs flew into the face of a drone. It wasn’t until this moment that the other three joined in, to fight the mutated Paris look-a-likes.

“I don’t like all this fighting stuff,” Brian commented, ducking away from a drone’s fist.

“Don’t forget to grab a flower, if you get hit, guys!” Nick shouted, maiming another enemy.

“Yeah! Flowers are easier to come by, than the life potions,” AJ agreed, running up to Kevin. Leaping up, onto Kevin’s back, AJ flipped off and onto a drone. Mauling its face, AJ watched its life drain.

“You two are enjoying this WAY too much!” Kevin scoffed, as he saw Nick and AJ team up, to tear apart another drone.

“They just keep coming!” Howie looked around, seeing more mutated Paris’ coming up from the earth.

“We’re missing something…we’ve got to be,” Nick responded, as he crouched down. Flipping a drone, off his back, he began scanning their surroundings.

“Go, Nick, I got your back,” AJ came up to Nick and began to take on the mutants in that area. Nick ran off, scanning the pasture.

“What does he mean, ‘we’re missing something’?” Brain questioned, as he and Howie had come up, beside AJ.

“Never mind, for now, just fight.” Brian was not pleased with AJ’s answer, but still did as he was told.

“AJ!” Nick’s voice, suddenly, pierced the air. He was standing on the far side of the field, opposite of where they came. “Come over here!” AJ finished killing of the drone that he was fighting, and headed over to where Nick was waiting.

“Did you find the missing link?”

“Yeah. You have to sing…I mean, howl these notes,” Nick motioned to a stone, on the ground, that was covered in ancient looking engravings. Studying it for a moment, AJ realized what Nick meant.

“Here goes nothing…” AJ drew in a deep breath and let his voice rise into the air. “OOWOOOOOO…HOWOOOOOO….OWOWOOOOOOWOOO….HOWOWOOOO…OWOO!”

“What the…?” Kevin looked up to the sky as lighting streaked through the clouds. Thunder boomed, shaking the ground, beneath their feet. The ground began to crack, at AJ’s feet and it continued on, through the pasture. The crack grew, causing the others to jump out of the way. Rain began to fall rapidly, as the lighting streaked down, setting the pasture ablaze. Flames covered the pasture, engulfing the drones, as Brian, Kevin, and Howie ran to join Nick and AJ.

“That was unexpected,” Howie noted, as they watched the drones melt into the ground. After a few moments, the flames disappeared and the crack sealed, but the rain continued in a heavy downpour. Looking around they saw a few flowers, still scattering the field. The five of them rushed, in different directions, to collect the flowers and restore their health.

“Well, I guess that’s that,” AJ looked around at the others.

“Yeah…” Trying to catch his breath, Kevin’s voice was barely audible, as the group headed towards the other wolf. They met the wolf, at the beginning of a wood and rope bridge. As soon as they reached the wolf, it turned and started across the bridge.

“Shouldn’t that thing be helping us?” Brian questioned, softly.

“Nope. The guides never help in battle.” Nick stated, nonchalantly.

“Oh. Well, isn’t that a kick in the head?” Brian hung his head, slightly, as they reached the other side of the bridge. The wolf continued to lead them up another hill, and than into a valley.

“I’m going to take a wild guess, and say, that this valley is probably going to lead to another fight. Right?” Howie scanned the valley for any signs of life, good or bad.

“I don’t see any flowers…” Turning back, Nick looked at the others.

“Um…I think we’re supposed to head down that path,” AJ nodded his head towards a dirt, overgrown path, where the guide wolf stood, waiting.

“I’d say that your assumption is correct, Aje.” Giving a small nod, Nick started toward the guide, the others following closely. As they approached the wolf, it took off, down the path. Running, to keep up, they dodged around brush and jumped over fallen logs…AJ and Nick leading the group, keeping up, close to the guide.

“What was…the rush? I don’t…even…see anything!” Panting, Brian came to a stop, by the others. Sitting on his hind end, Brian slumped his shoulders, getting very fed up with this little game.

“Where’d our guide go?” Taking a seat, next to Brian, Kevin looked at the youngest two members, of the pack. He cringed, slightly, remembering that he was a follower, while Nick and AJ where taking the lead, this time.

“Well, if you guys weren’t such SLOW POKES…you’d know that he took off…we’re back to being on our own.” Nick rolled his eyes, at Kevin, before turning back, to look around, at the open area of grass, before them.

“Wait…what’s this?” Tilting his head, AJ lifted his paw, revealing a small stone object. Nudging it, with his paw, he looked closer, as Nick came up beside him. Their noses were only a few inches away from it, as the inspected the object closely.

“Well…” Brian stood up, walking over to them. “…what is it? What do we do with it? Is it going to help us? What is it for? Do we have to take it with us? What about the Prince’s sister? Are we close?” The others turned, to face Brian, looking at him with annoyance.

“Yo church boy…chill, the fuck, out, man.”

“Stop calling me ‘church boy’ Alexander!”

“Make me!” The two stood nose, to nose, glaring at each other, when Nick stuck his nose in.

“You two should chillax…this isn’t helping.” He tilted his head, with his nose still by theirs.

“I would say that Nick’s right…but I’m not even going to go there!” Shaking his head, Howie saw Kevin look at the ground. Neither, of them, were used to Nick and AJ being the leaders, but they had no choice, if they wanted to make it out of the game.

“Hey! Check this out!” Turning toward AJ’s voice, the others watched him pick up the object, between his teeth. Carefully, he walked toward a small stone pillar, hidden in the trees. Bending down, he slipped the object into a small hole, on the side of the pillar.

“Nice work, Aje!” Nick grinned, nodding his approval, as the pillar creaked. The ground trembled, slowly swallowing the stone pillar. All eyes stayed locked, on the pillar, as it disappeared, at a painstakingly slow pace. Silence surrounded them, as they looked around.

“What…” Kevin’s voice was cut of by a loud booming noise, and a trembling, beneath their feet. His eyes growing wide, AJ began to back up. The booming became louder, and rhythmic…BOOM…BOOM…BOOM…

“Uh…guys?” There was a slight waver, in AJ’s voice, as the booming continued to draw closer. “Something tells me this isn’t the good kind of rhythmic noise.” Turning, he made haste, running into the open grass, the others following behind him. Reaching the middle of the grass, he turned, to face the way they came. Nick stood beside him, as the others took stance close behind.

“I don’t see flowers…there can’t be another fight…I don’t think…could there?” AJ didn’t have time to respond, to Nick’s statement. Right before their eyes, an army of guards penetrated the trees. Looking from one, to another, they stood frozen. The guards continued, toward them, with other wolves marching along, beside them…silver metal cuffs, on their front legs..

“What now? We can’t fight all of these…can we?” Keeping his voice low, Howie directed his question, toward the leaders.

“Shhhhh…” Turning his head slightly, Nick shushed the older band mate. Seeing the metal cuffs on the army’s wolves, Nick immediately knew why the chest had contained a set, for the five of them.

“Don’t say anything.” AJ instructed, quietly, also turning his head slightly, after having seen the cuffs on the other wolves. His eyes locked with Brian’s, and then Kevin’s, before landing on Howie’s. “When they come closer, join the army, like we belong in it. Don’t say anything, and do exactly what the other wolves are doing.”

“Here they come…stand at attention.” The men followed Nick’s instructions, squaring their shoulders and looking straight ahead, at the oncoming army. Their pace not wavering, the army approached ever closer, becoming dangerously close.

“Hup…hup…hup…” The leader, of the army, began to chant, now only a few feet, in front of the boys. “Haaaaah!” Holding a hand high, the leader brought the army to a halt. Struggling to stand still, the boys kept their stance, at attention.

“HOOOOWOOOOOWOOOWO!” A high pitch howl pierced the air, coming from the wolf by the leader’s side. It’s snout was high, in the air, as it’s call sent a shiver through each of the boys. Taking a look, at Nick, through the corner of his eyes, AJ looked for a sign, of what to do. On a whim…taking a risk…he took a step forward, lifting his head in the air.

“OOWOOOOOO…HOWOOOOOO….OWOWOOOOOOWOOO….HOWOWOOOO…OWOO!” His voice carried through the air, changing tone and pitch, just like before. His heart raced, hoping that the code from earlier, would grant them passage.

“Hup, hup!” Once again, the army began to march, as the leader’s hand fell back, to his side. AJ and Nick turned, facing the same direction as the army was.

“Turn…around!” Trying not to move his mouth, Nick ordered the other band mates to follow his, and AJ’s, actions. Without hesitation, they snapped around, facing the correct way. The army marched forward, engulfing them. Picking up the army’s rhythm, Nick and AJ marched ahead of the other three.

“This is…” Kevin began to speak, but was immediately cut of by a warning glare, from AJ. Shutting his mouth, quickly, he straightened back up, and followed.

Keeping up, with the large army wasn’t an easy task, but after ten minutes of marching along, AJ started slowly moving toward the right side, of the army. One row, at a time, he would ease over, the others following his lead. Waiting several minutes, before the next move, he tried to make each one inconspicuous, as not to be caught breaking formation. The others followed behind him, moving at slightly different times.

As he neared the edge, of the army, he could see they were approaching a small city. There was a large mansion, just on the other side, of it. Nick and Howie joined his row, soon followed by Brian and Kevin, as the reached the outer edge. The city was drawing closer and closer…the boys could feel the anticipation rising, in their stomachs. The smell of fresh baked bread filled their nostrils, as they saw the city only yards away. With his nose stuck in the air, Brian tripped over a large hole, in the ground, sending him toppling into the guard before him.

“HUP HO!” The army came to a sudden stand still, and the guys knew they were in for it.

“SHIT!” Nick’s voice rose above the noise.

“RUUUUUUUN!” The demanding tone, of AJ’s voice made the others flinch, but soon they were hot tailing it, out of there. “God damnit, church boy…what the fuck?!?”

“I tripped!” He was quick to defend himself, but knew he had made a vital mistake, by not paying attention. It was so unlike him. He was usually so focused, when it came to something this important.

“You tripped?!? Aren’t I the clumsy one, of this group?!? FUCK!” Keeping a high pace, Nick shook his head. They were circling the city’s boundaries, attempting to escape the army that pursued them. “Yo, J…we have to be close.”

“We’d be a hell of a lot fucking closer if church boy didn’t fucking trip, over his own god damn feet!” Scowling, AJ charged slightly ahead of the group, with Nick on his heels.

“There was a hole…in the ground!” Brian’s voice was broken, with gasps, for air, as they rounded a corner. They now paused, in a dark alleyway, as Nick and AJ looked for a hiding spot.

“Can we stop bitching at each other?” Howie’s question was left unanswered, as Nick crouched down and allowed AJ onto his back. After jumping off Nick’s back, AJ clawed his way inside a small window. Finding himself in a small, dimly lit room, he took a quick look around.

“It’s clear…come on!” Urgency dripped from his voice, as he heard the thundering booms, from the approaching army. Kevin nodded for Brian to go first, then Howie…each using Nick’s back, to assist in the jump. Kevin was next, AJ helping them all through the window.

“What about Nick?” After looking to the ground, Kevin aimed his question at AJ, who stood beside the window. AJ peered out, at him, as he heard the army drawing way too close.

“Kevin…grab my tail.”

“How? I have no hands!” Kevin’s face portrayed confusion, as he looked at AJ, for clarification.

“With your teeth, dip shit!” Irritation dripped from his voice, as AJ looked at Kevin fiercely.

“Oh you have got to be kidding me. I am not putting anything of yours, in my mouth. Uh uh…no way!”

“It’s for Nick!” Brian piped up. “Oh move!” Coming up, next to Kevin, Brian grabbed AJ’s tail, in his mouth, planting his feet firmly on the ground.

“Aw fuck.” Kevin cursed, positioning himself across from Brian and grabbing AJ’s tail, in his mouth. Howie couldn’t help but chuckle, watching the scene before him.

“Come on Nickers…jump man…I’ll getchya!” Hanging his upper body, out of the window, he called down to Nick. Looking up, Nick sized up the distance he had to jump. “I gothcya man…hurry!”

“Aight…here I come, Aje…don’t drop me!” He stepped back and charged at the wall. Everything seemed slow motion, as Nick tried to scamper up the wall. His eyes caught a glimpse of the army, passing by the alley way…each of them peering into the dimness that surrounded him. A breath caught in his throat, Nick’s front paws came within AJ’s reach. Leaning further out the window, AJ streatched his neck and clamped his teeth around the nape, of Nick’s neck.

“Alright, AJ!” Howie whooped, as Kevin and Brian pulled on AJ’s tail, helping him to drag Nick through the window and to safety.

“You aight, Nickers? I didn’t hurt ya, did I?”

“Naw, thanks for saving my ass, man!” The two guys started lightly swatting each other, with their paws, like two dogs that were playing. Up, on their hind legs, they continued their little celebration, and display of friendship.

“Ugh…now I got this nasty taste, in my mouth!” Kevin groaned, wiping his tongue, with his paw. “Eew…now there’s fur on my tongue!”

“It wasn’t that bad…it was totally worth it.” Timidly looking up at Nick, Brian began to apologize. “I’m sorry…if I wouldn’t have…”

“It’s cool, Bri…we’re all safe.” Nick attempted giving Brian a lopsided grin, but the others just shook their heads at the odd expression it actually produced.

“What now?”

“Uh…not sure, D…I was thinking…”

“You’ve found me.” A small voice cut AJ off, making them all look around the room. From the shadows, a small child appeared, in a long silky white dress. Exchanging glances, the guys were unsure of the little girl.

“And you are….?”

“She’s gotta be the Prince’s sister, Kev…keep up man, you’re supposed to be the smart one.” With a roll of the eyes, Nick returned his attention to the small girl. Taking a few steps forward, AJ lowered his head, before coming close to her.

“Bow your heads…you gotta show respect.” He whispered, nuzzling her tiny hand, with his nose. She gladly bent, slightly, rubbing under his chin.

“You’re so gentle.” Her giggle filled the air, as she slipped her other hand, into her pocket. “This is for you.” She smiled sweetly, pulling out a small golden key. It dangled from a long white ribbon, of the same silk, as her dress. Gently, she placed it around AJ’s neck, patting him on the head. “I must come with you.”

“Is that a good idea?” Howie hated to question it, but he couldn’t see any good, that would come from taking a small child along. He was met with no audible response, as the little girl climbed upon AJ’s back.

“Aight guys…we found the Prince’s sister and got the key…let’s blow this joint.” Taking careful steps, AJ turned toward the others. Passing them by, he headed toward the door, opening it with his mouth.

“We’re outta this popsicle stand, man!” Nick twisted his back end, as he strode toward the door, following AJ’s lead. The others looked at the two youngest, feeling a bit left out, since they seemed to be so close, through all of this; but they followed, none the less.

Following a long corridor, they searched for a way out of the building. They were clueless, as to what their next move should be, but still pressed on. Coming to the end, of the corridor, they took a left, seeing a door leading to a balcony. Nick kicked open the door, letting a chilly breeze flood over them.

“Is there a way down?” Coming up, behind AJ, Kevin looked out, over the edge. Seeing no escape, from the high balcony, he shook his head.

“We’ll have to jump.” AJ peered out, to the dirt road, below. Townspeople littered the area, but yet there was room, for a landing. “We can’t risk running into any guards, that might be downstairs.”

“Good thinking, Aje. If they had her locked up, they surely have her guarded well.” Turning his head, AJ noticed a nod of agreement, from Nick.

“So it’s settled then. I’ll go last, that way you guys can cover me, if they see her and start after us.” AJ stepped backwards, letting the others move in front of him. Looking over the edge, they all became slightly nervous, about the three story jump.

“Come on guys…we won’t die…worse case scenario, we lose a point, of health.” As soon as the comment left his mouth, Nick went flying, through the air, landing safely below. “Next!”

“Aren’t we worried about that army?” Howie’s voice traveled, as he flew through the air. Letting out a sigh, Howie’s paws landed on the dirt. Satisfied, he took a spot beside Nick, and waited for the others. Kevin was next, landing ungracefully, and stumbling forward, knocking into Howie.

“Man….what the fuck guys? I’m always the clumsy one, but you all are the ones tripping over yourselves!” Shaking his head, Nick turned his attention to Brian, as he leapt over the balcony’s edge. Now, they were just waiting on AJ, who still had the Prince’s sister upon his back. “Looks like you’re clear, man.”

“Aight, Nickers, here I come!” Sailing over the railing, and through the air, AJ landed perfectly, in front of the others. “So…which way?”

“Travelers, coming from a far…” The gentle voice startled them, causing them all to whip around, in its direction. Their eyes landed on a young woman, no older than early twenties, dressed in rags. She looked kindhearted, as she slowly approached them. “…your journey is far from over, my friends. You shall take the forbidden path…many enemies lie before you…proceed with the utmost care.”

“Sounds like a party.” Nick commented, letting his eyes travel from her blue eyes, over her short brown hair, and locked for a moment, on her large chest. “Where’s the forbidden path, baby?”

“Dude…Nickers…man, you’re a wolf…she ain’t interested, so stop staring at her boobs!” AJ, looked at Nick, shaking his head. The others groaned, just wanting to move on, rather than listen to the younger ones talk about the maiden’s chest.

“Take the forbidden path.” Her voice was more of a moan, as she slowly walked away.

“Well that was only half helpful.” Howie sighed, slumping his shoulders.

“She’s walking that way…so we’re going this way.” Heading in the opposite direction, Nick waved is head, signaling the others, to follow.

“Um…wouldn’t we follow her?” Although confused, Brian followed Nick, with the rest, of the group.

“Nope.”

“Do I dare ask why?” Kevin wondered, aloud, as they made their way out of the small city.

“It’s just that usually if a character gives you directions, they walk away from the area you need to be at.” Having to explain everything, step by step, was beginning to get on Nick’s nerves. Although, he figured the guys would never harass him about the amount of hours he spent, playing video games, anymore.

As they walked further, a path became visible, in the distance. Making their way to the path wasn’t easy, as they dodged around numerous large fire ants…Brian being the only one to get bitten by one. It didn’t take them long, to travel the short path.

“Where are these ‘many enemies’ that the woman talked about?” Looking around the area, Kevin saw no more obstacles, between them and a large iron gate. It looked as if they were enclosed inside an enormous gated area, and that gate was actually a way out instead of a way in. The mere thought, that this could be the end of the game, swirled within the minds of Kevin, Howie and Brian. However, the simple fact that AJ had the Prince’s sister on his back, told AJ and Nick that this was no where near the end.

“Must have been referring to the enormous amounts of fire ants that we had to jump around?” Howie was unsure of his answer, but was hoping, beyond hope, that he was correct. They were all getting tired of fighting, but there was really no telling how far they had left, to go.

“Use the key, to see me free.” The little girl stroked the fur, atop AJ’s head, as the neared the gate. Following instructions, he got the key between his teeth, and unlocked the gate. Swinging open, the iron gate squealed loudly, making their ears flatten. Before they knew it, the little girl was through the gate, and nowhere to be seen.

“Oh peachy…” Brian and Howie groaned, as they stepped through the gate. “…looks like yet another choice.”

“Looks like a courtyard…that’s not so bad.” Kevin’s voice dropped, as he looked in the other direction.

“Oooooor….a graveyard.” The statement from Brian’s mouth was whiney, as his head dropped, to stare at the dirt.

“Sweet! A graveyard!” The younger two shouted, with a bit too much excitement.
Chapter End Notes:
If you want the Boys to go to the Courtyard, go to 5A.
If you want the Boys to go to the Graveyard, go to 5B.