- Text Size +
Story Notes:
Depending on the response, I'll decide if this is worth continuing or not. Feel free to let me know what you think.
Prologue

“Dude, that last verse fucking rocked!” A.J. exclaimed. “We really should record this!” he continued with a grin.

Kevin nodded in agreement. “We really should.”

Kevin and A.J. were enjoying an afternoon of brainstorming. It had been nearly two years since the boys have been in the studio. They were growing anxious to get back into the swing of things. As the oldest member of the group, Kevin was growing very comfortable with the recent decline in their popularity. He was relieved to know they could take their time in getting back into the studio. He took a sip of his coffee and read over A.J.’s shoulder as he continued to write down lyrics. Kevin scrunched up his nose and shook his head.

“No way, that’s too cheesy.”

A.J. looked up and in offense. “Are you fucking kidding me? This is a kick ass line!”

“It sounds like something off a Disney special,” Kevin said with a laugh. “Come on, Alex. You can do better than that.”

“Dude, I’m fried,” he said as he dropped his pen. “Why don’t we stop for the day?”

“Fair enough,” Kevin said as he looked at his watch. “What time are we meeting up with the guys?”

“Oh, crap, I forgot to call Rok,” A.J. said as he pulled out his cell phone. “Hold on, I’ll find out.”

Kevin rolled his eyes at A.J.’s disorganization. Kevin’s life was like an appointment book. He liked having everything on a set schedule. He would never understand how any of the other guys couldn’t keep their times straight. Kevin took another sip of his coffee when he heard his cell phone go off. Seeing her number always made him smile. For the past two months, she’d been calling him with all the details of their first child. They didn’t even have a named picked out and she was already decorating the nursery. He figured she was calling to ask him a trivial question of wallpaper themes. Kevin couldn’t help but chuckle at his own curiosity and opened his phone to talk to her.

“Hey, sexy,” Kevin said with a smile.

“Kevin, it’s Lori.”

Kevin pressed his lips together and wrinkled his brow. Lori was Gabby‘s best friend. Kevin didn‘t care for her too much, but he was willing to ignore her annoying habits since she meant a lot to Gabby.

“Why are you calling me from my wife’s phone?” he questioned.

“Look, there’s no time for details. Get your butt over here to the hospital right now.”

Kevin’s heart sunk to his stomach. “What’s going on?” he slowly asked.

“Just get over here!”

“Okay, I’m on my way,” Kevin said then hung up the phone. “Alex, I gotta go,” he said as he stood up.

“Whoa, what’s wrong?” A.J. asked, obviously noticing Kevin’s frantic body language.

“Gabby‘s in the hospital,” he said. “I’ll catch up with you guys later,” he said as he pulled out some money from his wallet. “For lunch,” he said then ran out of the coffee shop.

“Kev!” A.J. said as he chased after him. “What’s going on? Why is she in the hospital?”

“I don’t know,” Kevin hastily spat.

“Is it the baby?” A.J. asked as he grabbed Kevin’s arm.

“I said I don’t know!”

“Kevin, calm down for two seconds and talk to me.”

“Look, I don’t know what’s going on,” Kevin said in a soft voice. “Just meet up with the guys and I’ll call everyone later,” he said then got into his car.

Kevin wasted no time putting his car in gear. He wanted to get to the hospital as soon as possible. A million thoughts were running through his mind, but the only thought that came clear was that he wanted to be with his wife.