- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Howdy all and sorry for the delay. I hope you enjoy this chapter. As much as i'd like to promise you another one next week it all really depends on how I feel and how much time I have. I shall try my best though. As always, thanks for reading and you all rock my socks!

 

 

---------------------------------- 

True friends stab you in the front.  ~Oscar Wilde   

 

~ 10 ~ 

Friendly Fire  

We all sat around the campfire as Brian and AJ told us about their adventures getting up to the actual site. I tried not to make that many smart ass remarks and I literally had to stop myself from commenting on AJ’s choice of shoes as he continued to rub at his already blistered feet. This was going to be fun. What on earth did he expect to accomplish on a camping trip wearing those things? But even still, I was really happy to see them both. They looked happy enough and refreshed which is more than they usually looked during a tour.

 

My cousin seemed extra happy to be out here in the fresh air and I have to say I was pleasantly surprised by that. I was almost certain this would turn into two days of him whining about not being around his family.

 

My eyes went to Nick every so often as AJ and Brian went on about how life was now that they were on this short break. It seemed like they have seen a lot of each other and I immediately saw what Nick was talking about. It’s not like they were leaving him out the way you would leave out the fat kid who tagged along in grammar school, but it was more of a ‘we are so close we finish each other’s sentences now,’ type of thing.

 

Nick didn’t look upset or annoyed at all, but he tends to put on a different face when he’s with the other guys. Brian did go sit beside him though and during AJ’s ramblings they were whispering things to each other.

 

“So what’s new with you Kev?”

 

I looked up at AJ and noticed they were all staring at me. “Not too much, just enjoying being a daddy and having time to live my life.”

 

“How is the little whipper snapper?”

 

“Whipper snapper?”

 

“Yeah, don’t tell me you have never heard that before Kevin, I’d be so disappointed in you.”

 

“Of course I’ve heard of that way back in the 30’s when they used it.”

 

“Yeah Bone, welcome to 2008.” Brian added which drew a high five from Nick.

 

“Whatever dudes…so how is Mason?”

 

“He’s really good.” I smiled, I couldn’t help it. Just thinking about my son makes me one of the happiest people on earth. I don’t even care how corny that might sound.

 

“Did you bring any pictures?”

 

“Of course I did…hang on, let me go grab my wallet.” He laughed at me as I darted up from the ground to run into the tent.

 

“Don’t run too fast…we don’t want you to break a hip or anything!” Nick yelled after me. Nice…

 

I went to my wallet which was a treasure trove of pictures of my family. There was one of Kris holding Mason as he left the hospital. My mother was standing behind her as she was wheeled out the door and towards the car. I remember being terrified as we drove all the way home. I think I only went 10 miles an hour.

 

Another picture had Mason laying on our bed next to a huge pink stuffed rabbit that Howie bought for my son. It was enormous in comparison to the baby who was looking towards it with his big wondering eyes.

 

My favorite picture by far was the one of me holding him. His cheek was pressed against mine. I can still smell him as his warm flesh connected with my scruffy skin. Kris laughed because I got all teary eyed at the time. I couldn’t help it though, the love I felt for him was overwhelming me. He smiled and reached for my nose just as the picture was taken.

 

I decided to grab all three and made my way back out to the guys who were laughing about something random. “It took you long enough.” Nick said as he winked at me. It was so funny to see the difference in his attitude when he was with everyone else versus when he was just with me.

 

“I couldn’t find them.” I lied as I handed them over to AJ.

 

“Man, this kid is adorable! Nice rabbit.”

 

“Howie gave it to him.”

 

“He has your bushy brows cousin.” Brian added. They always have to bring up my eyebrows.

 

“He wouldn’t be mine if he didn’t.” and I refuse to ever act annoyed by it.

 

“You look so happy in those pics Kevin. It makes me vah klempt.” I smiled at AJ because I knew it was true. He’s almost as wussy as I am when it comes to stuff like this. He longs for a child just as much as I did. I hope one day in the not so distant future, that dream will come true for him.

 

“Baylee always asks me when are we going to see his baby. It’s like he has adopted Mason as his very own.”

 

“Well, tell Bay he can come see Mason anytime he wants.” I admit I am disappointed that Brian hasn’t really come by much since I left the group. I mean I know he’s busy but still, it would be nice to have Mason get to know his first cousin. I’d love for them to be as close as Harold and I were when we were kids.

 

“So, what’s a typical day in the life of Kevin Richardson like now that you’ve retired?”

 

“I haven’t retired!” I shook my head at AJ as he laughed. The punk just said that to get a rise out of me and I bought into it. A little time away from these guys has made my armor go down. “You’re such an ass.” I added because I feel it’s important to let people know when they are idiots.

 

“Yeah, I know I am and you know something else? I’m proud to be one too!”

 

“And that scares me.”

 

“At least I embrace my inner ass, unlike some people.” He said looking over at Brian and smiling.

 

“What is that supposed to mean?” My cousin asked defensively. I love when people called him out for being imperfect because sometimes I think he lives under the delusion that he does nothing wrong. I blame his wife for that though.

 

“Not a thing.” AJ said shrugging. Nick had a small grin on his face as he played with a pebble in his hand. He looked like he had a river of thoughts flowing through his mind. I wish I could see what he was thinking.

 

“What are you smiling about?” Brian asked him. I guess he was wondering the same thing. “Are you going to call me an ass too?”

 

“Rok I didn’t call you an ass.” AJ defended.

 

“Right….”

 

“I didn’t.”

 

“You implied it.”

 

“How so?”

 

Nick looked over at me with a baffled expression on his face. Like me, I think he was trying to figure out if this was a real argument or not. Sometimes it was hard to tell with Brian. I always called fights with him, friendly fire because he could call you a shit head while smiling sweetly. You never quite could figure out if he was honestly pissed off or not.

 

“Nevermind.” Brian bit at his bottom lip.

 

It was weird how quickly the atmosphere at camp changed. The tension I felt was amazing and seemingly out of nowhere. “Did something happen between the two of you that I am unaware of?” I asked innocently enough. I know I probably should have just let it drop but I was more intrigued than anything else. Maybe if I was with them all the time, I’d not care as much. In fact, I know if I was with them all the time I wouldn’t care as much, but things were different now. They can fight, bitch and moan all they want but at the end of the day, I could just walk away from the drama.

 

“That’s what I’d like to know.” Brian said. I was beginning to see that he was indeed mad. Friendly fire at it’s best.

 

“Dude, I meant nothing by what I said…seriously. I wasn’t even talking about you.”

 

“Who were you talking about then? Nick? Please, you were talking about me.”

 

“Yeah, because Lord knows Nick’s an ass. That’s no secret.” Nick said. Good for him. If he didn’t say that, I was going to.

 

“I didn’t mean it like that.” Brian said. His voice was cold and harsh. He was totally in self defense mode and I knew there was something more going on.

 

“Forget I said anything.” AJ said with a tinge of regret in his voice. I could tell he was thinking he just ruined our little gathering with a few simple words.

 

“How did you mean it then?” But it was too late as Nick came back with that reply.

 

“Huh?”

 

“Why did you say what you just said?”

 

“Because you were here.”

 

“So is Kevin.”

 

“I just used you, I saw you first.”

 

“No, you thought of me first. Admit it Brian, I mean it’s no big deal. I know you think I’m a loser.”

 

“What? How did this turn into a you thing?”

 

I couldn’t help but wonder what the hell was going on. Weren’t we all just having a great time? Didn’t I just think to myself how great it was to have everyone back together again? What was I on, crack?

 

“I didn’t turn anything into a me thing.”

 

“Guys forget I even said anything, I seriously was only joking.”

 

“Whatever!” Both Brian and Nick said at the same time in a very old timey Frick and Frack kind of way. They even crossed their arms in front of themselves identically which actually made them both crack up. These people are all insane. How on earth did I end up knowing these people? I am even related to one of them.

 

A few seconds went by and while there was still a smile on his face, Brian said, “And just for the record Nickolas, I do not think you’re a loser.”

 

Nick nodded at him but his smile quickly left, “Maybe not now, but you used to.”

 

Brian stared at our young friend, “Never.”

 

“Okay, maybe not… but you used to always be disappointed in me.”

 

Before Brian could interrupt him, he continued on with his thoughts, “and I even understand why, I mean I was a total shipwreck. I hated me as much as everyone else in the free world used to. I was an out of control ass. I guess I would have wanted to be blurred out of my show too if I were you.”

 

“Not this again…” Brian muttered silently but yet not silently enough to not be heard….friendly fire.

 

“I’m sorry, but it bothered me.”

 

“I know.”

 

“I guess it’s because if it were anyone else, you wouldn’t have done that.” And by anyone else, he clearly meant AJ. We all knew it but no one said a word, least of all AJ himself because I think deep down inside, we all knew what Nick was saying was true. If it was AJ not only would Brian not be blurred but he would have been wearing a huge “I support AJ McLean” Tee shirt.

 

“If I had known it was going to bother you that much, I would have just not shown up.”

 

“That would have been about the same I guess, but at least maybe our fans wouldn’t have picked up on it.”

 

By the way AJ was fidgeting I knew he wanted to bolt so I gave him an out. “Jay, I want to show you something cool right down the path.”

 

He gave me a hopeful look, “Yeah?”

 

“Uh huh, come on…let’s let these love birds talk.”

 

Both Brian and Nick gave me an evil eye but there was a look of desperation in Nick’s. One that said “Please don’t leave me, I might need you!” but he is a big boy and he can do this on his own. It’s been coming for awhile now.

 

As AJ and I started walking he stopped once we were out of their ear range, “Thanks for that.” He said as he placed his hand on my shoulder. “I don’t like it when the parents argue in front of the kids.”

 

I laughed at him, “I thought you and Nick were the kids.”

 

“That was before our dad abandoned us.”

 

“So, now Nick is the dad?”

 

He grunted and smiled at the very thought of that. “No, he’s the mom.”

 

“I thought Howie was the mom.”

 

“Howie has now become aunt Bessie who comes over so much she might as well live with us.”

 

“AJ, you’re a nut.”

 

“I know…how far are we walking? My feet still hurt from my little hiking expedition to get here, remember?”

 

“Relax, I just said that to get us the hell out of there.”

 

“Oh…liar liar pants on fire!”

 

“I hope Nick tells him exactly how he feels.” I said, looking back towards our campsite and ignoring AJ and his little grammar school jeer.

 

“Me too, mainly because I don’t want to have to hang out here in the bushes with you all night long.”

 

“You know you love it.” I winked at him.

 

“Nick’s really grown up lately, you’d be proud Kev.” Way to ignore our homosexual moment AJ.

 

I smiled, “I know he has. I could tell just in the last two days and I am proud of him.” I leaned against a tree and placed my hand in my pockets. I wish I had brought a jacket because the air was a little cooler than I would have liked, “So tell me, what was that all about with Brian? Did you guys have an argument or something?”

 

“Or something.”

 

“Care to elaborate?”

 

“You know how Brian is. It’s not an argument but more like a lecture. It was about smoking.”

 

“Oh.”

 

“We were out golfing and he started randomly talking about it. He was telling me how I shouldn’t do it.”

 

“You shouldn’t.” He looked at me and rolled his eyes.

 

“I just kind of mentioned to him that I was aware of the fact that I was prematurely killing myself and then causally said that sometimes he acts like he can do no wrong.”

 

“Oops.”

 

“Yeah, exactly.”  He shifted and pulled out a cigarette as if reminding himself he had his life to cut short. “Later on to prove my point, he made a huge mistake…God Kev, you should have seen it. He used the wrong club and his ball ended up in a sand trap. It was priceless.” He took out a lighter and began to puff.

 

I laughed at the image in my head. I could see Brian getting all worked up because of that. “Needless to say he lost to me and the whole time he did nothing but make excuses that he had a bad day because of this, that and the other. I told him to admit he just lost fair and square because he made a mistake but he refused. It was annoying.”

 

“Brian doesn’t like it when people point out his mistakes.”

 

“Really, you think?” AJ shook his head at me in a nonverbal, “Duh!” kind of way.

 

“Anyway, I think that’s what sparked it all off before.”  He took a few more puffs and then tossed his cigarette down on the ground. “I wonder if they kissed and made up yet.”

 

“Let’s not start any forest fires while we’re out here, okay AJ?” I said as I went and stomped on his still kind of lit butt.

 

“Oops….sorry.”

 

“Tell it to the grizzly bears when they need a new home.”

 

“Yes Ranger Kev…should we venture back?”

 

I thought about this for a moment and then shook my head, “Nah, let’s go for a little walk. There’s a nice creek a half mile down that way.”

 

He groaned, “A half mile?”

 

“AJ, that’s not that far.”

 

He sighed, “Okay but if I get blisters…”

 

I shook my head, why did I think this was a good idea again?