- Text Size +
Kaylee closed the cab door and waited for the driver to drove off before she started to cross the street. She had to avoid cars a time or two and was almost hit by a driver who was speeding. It was now Friday afternoon and Kaylee had spend almost the whole morning to get ready for the meeting where she was supposed to meet the Littrell family for the first time. She was so nervous that she had changed her outfit dozens of times before making up her mind. Now she was wearing a pair of dress pants and a top with jacket on it. She thought that she was decent looking with that outfit and her hair pulled back on a ponytail. Walking through a whirling door and the front lounge she realized that someone was just getting into the elevator and yelled after that person just when the close were closing up.

“Please hold the doors!” Kaylee ran to the elevator and was taken back when she realized who was in the elevator with her.

“Which floor?” Nick Carter asked.

“Ninth please… Thanks” Kaylee whispered and looked at his blue eyes in a disbelief when the elevators doors closed. She swallowed hard and took few steps away until her back touched the wall behind her. He just stood there and smiled to her before turning around to face the panel where the buttons were.

“Hey, we’re going to the same floor!” Nick said when he pushed the button and the elevator started its ride upstairs. They both stood there quietly and watched the numbers in the panel growing bigger and bigger when the elevator suddenly stopped its journey between the sixth and the seventh floor. All their hear was a loud bang and some creepy squeaking. It was like and old seesaw swinging and creaking in the wind, just like you see and hear in some old horror movies.

“Oh great!” Kaylee breathed and pushed the alarm button few times. “Why doesn’t this stupid button work?” She started to panic a little.

“Just relax and let me see… There you go.” Nick said when they heard the alarm go on. “It shouldn’t take too long to get us out of here.”

“Good. I have a claustrophobia. It tends to burst out now and then. Being in a elevator is the worst. I can be in a plane, bus or small cars and in trains too. Even in small closed rooms. But being in a elevator is the worst, I just can’t stand the cold metal around me, it drives me nuts. By the way, did you know that the name claustrophobia comes from the Latin word claustrum which means "a bolt” or ”a place shut in" and the Greek word phobos meaning "fear"? You didn’t? It’s okay, now you do. I can also teach you how to add the numbers up very fast…Or anything else you want to learn… I’m sorry, I am speaking too much and too fast now. I just better shut up.” Kaylee took a deep breathe and started to scream while banging the doors. ”Help! Anyone?! I need to get out of here! Help, please!!”

Next thing she knew was Nicks hands around her waist. He gently lifted her away from the door and put her down next to the back wall. She started to cry when Nick took her head between his hands and looked straight to her eyes.

“Relax, take a deep breathe and stop crying, you‘re going to be all right. Good girl.” Nick said when Kaylee took a really deep breathe before wiping the tears away. He stood up and kept his eyes in hers when he pushed the alarm button again. It was still calling loud and they both wondered why it took so long to come and get them out of there. Nick sat down next to Kaylee who pulled her legs close to her cheast.

“I’m Nick by the way. Nick Carter.” Nick said and held his hand out for her. She took it and they shook hands when Kaylee introduced herself.

“Kaylee. Kaylee Reid. And I know who you are…” She said and shyly smiled. She started to rock backward and forward while mumbling a song that Nick soon recognized.

“Know what? Every time I am scared I like to sing. It keeps me calm ,don’t know why but it just does. Do you mind if I sing with you?” Nick asked and started to sing softly with and to her.


’You see colors no one else can see
In every breath you hear a symphony
You understand me like nobody can
I feel like my soul unfolding like a flower blooming…
When this whole world gets too crazy
And there's nowhere left to go
I know you give me sanctuary
You're the only truth I know
You're the road back home…’

She smiled when he stopped and stood up when she heard a voice coming somewhere above from them.

”You heard that?” She asked from Nick.

”Heard what?” Nick asked after he had raised up from the floor.

”It sounded like someone called us. There, you heard it?” Kaylee asked excited.

”Yeah, I think I did!” He said and they both started to yell.

”Hello?! Anybody there? Were down here, trapped in the elevator!”

They heard a male speaking to some one.

”Hey Tom! I think there’s people trapped in there! I’m going down to found out if anybody’s hurt.” It took a while and then they hear a bang coming from the elevator roof.

”Hello? Anybody there?” The man asked.

”Yes! Were here!” Kaylee yelled and gave Nick a wide smile.

”Okay. Listen, my name is Carl and I’m going to help you guys out of there. I just need to know few things first, allright? How many there are of you? And is everybody okay?”

”Okay. There is two of us and physically we’re fine, it’ just that another one us has a claustrophobia. So can you get us out of here as fast as possible?” Nick asked.

”Sure. I need to climb back up to grab some tools but I’ll be right back, few more minutes and you both will get away from there. Just hang on!” The rescuer, Carl, said and left them to be alone for awhile. For Kaylee it felt like forever before he came back but in reality he had been gone just three minutes.

”Okay. Now listen carefully. I need to ask you guys back up to the back corner in right side of you. Turn around and cover up your faces.” They did just as he had ordered and Nick even took his jacket off and covered them up with it.

”You two ready there?” Carl asked and started to slowly weld the roof. It took about wife minutes him to make a hole up in the roof. When he had finished he kick the panel in put his head out of the hole. ”I’m finished you can come out now. Here is a safe cable, put it around your waist and I will pull you up.” He said when he dropped the cable down.

”Ladies first.” Nick said and Kaylee smiled while putting the cable around her waist. ”Okay, I’m ready!” She yelled to Carl who started to pull her up. It took only few seconds to get the elevator roof and out of the lift shaft. When she had took the cable off she was almost surrounded by people, both medical staff and just people who were curios to see the person who had been trapped in the elevator almost 30 minutes.

”Miss, you okay?” A female nurse asked her.

”Yes, just need a little space to breathe. Another than that I’m fine, thank you very much.”

”Another one coming up!” A man yelled somewhere in the crowd.

”Make a room!” The same nurse said while they took Nick to the spot where Kaylee was checked out.

”Wow. Nasty looking cut you have there… It wasn’t there when I left you.” Kaylee pointed out to Nicks hand which was bleeding.

”Yeah. I cut when they lift me up… I guess I am not so small as you are.” He smirked and turned around when he heard his name called.

”Nick! Yo dude! You okay?” AJ Mclean asked when he walked towards his friend. Kaylees cheek got red when she watch the friends talking to each other. She blushed even more when AJ caught her watching him and gave her a quick but warm smile. Kaylee turned around to gather all her stuff and turned around just to found out that AJ had already left his friend. Being disappointed at AJ leaving she was also ready to leave when Nick came to her.

”Well Kaylee, it was pleasure to meet you and spend some time with you down in the elevator. Hopefully we’ll meet again someday… Until then, goodbye.” Nick said and gave her a hug.

”Yeah. Bye!” Kaylee said and walked into the ladies room to wash up her face. Her make up was all smeared up but she didn’t care it too much. She cleaned it a bit, just to look okay again. After that she took a deep breathe and smiled to herself before walking out of the bathroom.

”Whoa!” She yelled while she was almost fall down by little blonde boy.

”I’m so sorry for that. Are you okay?” A red haired woman asked from her. ”Baylee Littrell! Get your little butt over here so we can go and find your uncles.”

”Yeah, I’m fine…” Kaylee said and smiled when she realized who the little boy was. ” So, you must be Mrs. Littrell? I am Kaylee Reid, I’ll be teaching Baylee.”

”Oh god, no!” The woman said and giggled. ”My name is Amanda, I’m Baylees babysitter. Mr. and Mrs. Littrell are in the office room… Right there.” Amanda said and pointed out the room.

”Oh,okay. Thank you. It was nice to meet you, Amanda.”

”You too Kaylee.”

Kaylee walked to office room door and gently knocked it.

”Excuse me? Mr. and Mrs. Littrell? I’m Kaylee Reid, I’ll be teaching your son…” She said when she found out the couple sitting in front of an office desk. Brian and Leighanna both stood up and shook hands with her.

”It’s nice to meet, Jonathan seems to be little late so we have to wait for him before making any contracts…” Brian said and smiled. ”But please, sit down all tell us about you and your day so far.”

Kaylee sat down and started to tell little things about her. She had born in Pierre, South Dakota but her family had soon moved to Des Moines, Iowa where she spend most of her childhood. When she was a teenager and almost finished high school they had moved to Concord, New Hampshire where her parents still lived. After she went to college and chose Harvard because it was close and because of its fame. After graduating from there she took postgraduate studies in Yale. And now she lived in LA and wanted to teach young kids. She also shared everything what had happened earlier that day in the elevator with Nick and how he had helped her to get over her panic attack.

”Wow. I’m just glad that you are okay.” Leighanne said and smiled to her. That’s when Jonathan walked in.

”Sorry I’m late, the elevator was broken and it took some time to fix it… I see that you guys get along fine, good. Well, let’s get straight to business. Brian, Leighanne. Here’s your part of the contract. It’s pretty much like the one you have with your nanny. Kaylee, here’s yours. Please read it through and let me know if there’s anything you are worried about. It’s had everything in it that we spoke yesterday on the phone…” Jonathan said and gave everybody their copy of the contract. Kaylee carefully read it through and let Jonathan know that she was happy with it and Brian and Leighanne agreed, so they signed it.

”Welcome to the family.” Brian said and smiled.

”Thank you.” Kaylee said and thought that this was going to be something big to her. All she hoped was little love from certain Backstreet Boy…