- Text Size +
Kaylee opened her mouth but there was no voice. She just stood there and looked really confused, she was trying to understand what she had just seen. When they had walked in, the door had been unlocked and Kaylee had afraid the worst. But instead of founding her best friend body they found out that Christy was very well alive and lying on the floor, probably passed out of the alcohol and some random pills that were lying on the table. Kaylee just stood there while AJ knew exactly what to do. She just watched how her best friend lied there and how he tried to wake her up. It took awhile and little mouth to mouth breathing but she awaked. Feeling probably little peaky and confused, Christy sat there for awhile before running to the bathroom where AJ followed her but came back after a while.

“Kaylee?” AJs whispering seemed to bring Kaylee back to the reality.

“How is she?”


“I believe she’s just fine. But I did call the paramedics just in case, because we don’t what those pills are and how many she had taken before we came.”

“I… I’m glad that you came with me. I don’t what would I done without you. I just stood there and did nothing…”

“Hey, it’s all right. I know it’s hard… ”

“Thank you.”

“No problem. I should go check if the paramedics are outside…” And so he left.

“Christy Amanda Connor! Get your freaking ass here right now or I’m not going to take responsibility of what happens next! ” She was filled with anger and she wasn’t letting her friend get out of the hook just like that.

“Shut up Kaylee, you’re not my mom.” Christy said and entered the room wearing nothing but a white rope.

“Yeah, but I am supposed to be your best friend! I have called you like hundreds of times and…”

“I heard all those messages, okay! So just leave it there!”

“Hell no, I will! Don’t you realize how worried I have been?! And probably for a reason too! Gosh!”

“So what? This is my life, not yours!”

“Yeah? And you want to ruin your life with alcohol and not taking your medication? Don’t you realize that you have so much to lose..?”

“Like what? My family doesn’t talk to me… You’re going to be busy with teaching and all I have left is this emptiness.”

“That’s not true and you know that.”

“Right… Really, what’s left out there for me?”

“Christy, I don’t want to have this conversation with you again, please…”

“Why not? Are you afraid that you’re going to say something wrong and that I’m going to kill myself because of that? You’re so charade person Kaylee.”

“It’s not that… I love you Christy, and so does your family. Why can’t you see that?”

“Well maybe because you don’t know how I am feeling! My mom left when she found out about my condition, said that it reminded her too much about my dad. So did my sister and brother, they both said that they love me but hadn’t talked to me ever since… And you, I am still wondering why you’re here.”

“Because I care, Christy. And so does your family. I called your brother and he is on his way here…”

“What?! Why on earth you called to him?!”

“Like I said I was worried…”

“But still! Gosh, I hate you so much!” Christy said and began to cry. “Please, just leave…”

“No. I am not leaving…”

“Kay, please… I am begging you, just go! I’ll bet AJ is waiting for you that you two could finish what you started. ”

“What’s that supposed to mean?” Kaylee asked in anger.

“Oh shut up! I bet you two were already in the bedroom fucking each other when you started to feel guilty about me. Like you really cared… And you know, I’m kind of wondering why even wants to sleep with you. After all, you’re just an average girl Kaylee. There’s nothing special in you. Or maybe it’s because he’s so stupid and wants you to teach him some biology, hah! ”

“Now you listen to me carefully… Your insults aren’t going to work. I am staying. ”

“Hey…” AJ walked back inside with a young brunette woman. “The ambulance is here.”

“Good.” Kaylee said and stepped back.

The paramedics did their job, they measured her blood pressure and check her pupils. After few minutes they were ready and had decided to take Christy to the hospital just in case.

“We’re taking her to the California Hospital Center. Are you sure that you don’t anything about those pills?”

“We don’t know anything.” AJ answered.

“I… I… They can be her medication pills. She has this disease, I don’t know what’s called but she’s supposed to take some pills every day…” Kaylee said and started to cry. “I am sorry that I can’t help you more…”

“It’s all right. The doctor should be able to find her papers. Is there someone we should contact and tell about Christy? ”

“Yeah, her brother. Here’s his number…”

“Okay. Thank you. Good job for helping your friend.” The woman said and was about to leave but Kaylee yelled after her.

“Wait! Can I come with you?”

“Oh. I am sorry… Your friend didn’t want you to come with us. And I kind of have to respect her wishes. Sorry.”

“Oh,okay.” Kaylee stood there quietly and watched how the ambulance drove off.

She felt AJs warm arms around her. “C’mon. I’ll drive you there.”

“No. I don’t want to go there. I want to go to the beach.”

“Are you sure?”

“Yes.”

“To the beach then.”

And so both went back to the car and in silence they drove together to the beach where Kaylee shared her feelings with him. He did his best to make her happier and listened how Kaylee told all her know about Christy’s disease.

“Sorry to hear that Kaylee.” AJ said and hugged her.

“It’s fine. I am used to it by now. But this time it was just so much more than usually. I don’t know if I can take it anymore…”

“Hey, don’t think about it right now. We’re on the beach, remember?”

“Yeah. Isn’t it funny?”

“What?”

“How comforting the sea can be.”

“Yeah, I don’t know. Nick would though, he loves the water.”

“Yeah?”

“Yeah. Okay, time to go. It’s getting cold and I need to get you back to Brians house before he thinks that I kidnapped you or something.”

“Why would he think of that?” Kaylee asked and chuckled.

“Don’t know. But come on, let’s go.” AJ said and helped Kaylee up from the sand. “You wanna take a race to the car?”

“Sure!” Kaylee said and started to run.

“Hey! Not so fast!” AJ yelled after her and catch up. They both arrived to the car at the same time.

“That was fun.” Kaylee said and smiled. “Thank you Alex.”

“You welcome.”

And so, in the beautiful starlight the couple kissed for the first time.