- Text Size +

“Breathe sweetie,” I said taking his hand, as soon as we had speed up for take off I felt him stiffen in his seat. Interlacing his fingers with mine and I felt him relax slightly but he still had his eyes closed, this was the quietest I had ever seen him and it made me chuckle. The plane eventually levelled out but it was only when the seatbelt sign was gone that he opened his eyes.

“Don’t laugh at me,” he whined as he nudged me.

“Sorry, it’s just funny how much you hate to fly and how much you have to do it,” I said lightly brushing my thumb over his hand.

“Yeah I know it sucks,” he yawned making me yawn along with him. It was nine am London time and I hadn’t slept for I don’t know how long. We had both gone to the wrap party for the end of the tour which was probably still going; we had left to catch a flight home. Before that I hadn’t slept well due to the hype of Knebworth, it had been amazing, all three nights of it but I was also a little sad, this tour had been a great confidence boost and last night would be one that I would never forget.

“I know we said we were gona talk about stuff…”

“But your beat, please say you’re beat cause I am,” he said making me giggle as I nodded my head. “S’cool, we’ll catch a few zz’s and talk later, got plenty of time on this fucking flight,” he groaned as he reclined his chair slightly and kicked off his shoes as I followed suit.

 

How long could a person sleep? How long could a person sleep in a position like that? How long could a person sleep, in a position like that, in a steel tube flying thousands of feet up in the air? I chuckled looking at her, her head was resting against the window and she was sat on her feet, she was going to get cramps in her feet when she woke up.

Last night had been great but it wasn’t what I had had in mind. I was going to take her out to dinner show her that I could be a gentleman and tell her how I felt and why I had done the stupid things I had done. I had forgotten one tiny detail though it was the last night of the tour and of course she wanted to go the party. That in itself had been great though, we laughed and danced and kissed and generally acted like a couple which was nice. But we did need to talk and the longer I sat here the more I wondered what I was going to say to her, how I was going to explain why I had been such a jerk, where we were going to go from here? It didn’t look like I had much time either as she was stirring slightly.

She looked childlike sleeping, like when we had first met. Her mouth was open slightly and my inner child was telling me to stick something in it, if it had been Howie I would have. She was so peaceful her breathing even and her hand clasped in mine. Her eyes started flickering and then I saw the deep green that I loved as she groggily opened them and looked at me questioningly.

“What?” she asked hoarsely, moving slightly.

“Well you’re a ray of sunshine when you wake up, I’m not allowed to look at you now?” I joked and she just stuck her tongue out at me whilst she stretched a bit more and tried to stand up but winced as she did so. “Pins and needles?” I asked and she just nodded, sighing as she sat back down and threw her legs over my lap. I gently started rubbing her legs and her feet keeping quiet so she could wake up properly. After a few minutes she pulled her feet from my grasp and shifted in her seat so she could capture my lips with hers. I sighed as I kissed back my tongue looking for entrance into her mouth which she allowed; I gently sucked on her tongue as she sighed happily into my mouth and then pulled away.

“Hi,” she said as I opened my eyes to her still tired ones.

“Hi, sleep well?” I asked taking her hand in mine.

“Yep, how much longer?” she asked trying to stifle a yawn.

“Bout two hours, yay,” I groaned and she smiled as she reached down to grab her water.

“It’s not that bad Nick anyway gives us plenty of time to talk. Don’t look like that… fine I’ll talk first then,” she said as she took a swig of her drink buying time to contemplate what she was going to say. Putting her drink back she took my hand again and began speaking.

“I’m sorry for leaving how I did, I was out of order but I was so pissed off and well you know how I get,” I nodded and she hit my arm screeching, “You’re not supposed to agree!” to which I just laughed as she continued. “I was sick of seeing you get hurt but you didn’t want to hear what anyone had to say and it was just easier for me to walk away. When I saw what she accused I did call but I bottled out and then it was just to hard to pick up the phone and when I did see you, you were such a pain in the ass and it felt like you didn’t like me anymore and …” she trailed off looking out of the window and I could tell she was trying to hide the tears. I pulled her face back round so I could see her and caught the tear that slipped on my thumb as I brushed it aside.

“I could never not like you Will, you’ve been… you’re more than just a friend, I understand why you left but I was stubborn like you, I never like admitting that I’m wrong cause when you’re wrong most of the time it’s a pain in the ass,” that made me smile at him. “After London I really wanted something to happen between us but you needed some space after asshole broke it off and I respected that and then things between us got distant. When I saw you again, I was going through a rough stage with everything, Kevin was pissing me off, I was getting heat from my folks, it was just a bad day I never meant to act like I did,” he said brushing a stray piece of my hair behind my ear. “Then when I saw you at Live 8, all I could think was that’s my best friend up there, my fucking sexy best friend and then when we talked I thought things were gona be good again, but I fucked it up by taking something the wrong way and we were back to square one,” he said sighing and we fell into silence.

“What changed your mind?” I asked.

“Alex, told me about your little rendezvous, told me straight that I needed to figure out what I wanted and he was right, he and Kris have been bugging me for weeks to talk to you,” He said rolling his eyes.

“But why last night? Live 8 was two weeks ago,” I asked confused.

“We had stuff that I had to be at for the album release and I needed time to really think on how I was going to redeem myself, but I think I did that though, didn’t I?” he asked shyly looking at me.

“You did more than that sweetie, last night was fucking amazing, I think my heart leapt into my throat when I realised who was singing, and I don’t think I thanked you for that,” I said as I kissed him soundly.

“You call that a thank you?” he sighed as he pulled away and I rolled my eyes going in for another kiss.

“Nope I’m still not feeling it,” he joked trying to keep a straight face.

“Well if you hadn’t of booked such an early flight maybe I could have thanked you properly this morning,” I said raising my eyebrows up at him.

“There’s a bathroom back there, wana join the mile high club?” he questioned. Looking around I saw most people engrossed in the film that was playing or busy doing other things. Standing up I leant over and whispered in his ear “I’m already a member,” as I walked into the isle towards the bathroom and threw him a look, hoping he’d get the message.