- Text Size +

“No,” I said looking back at him through the mirror.

“You do it every night on tour, why can’t you do it tonight?” He said swivelling my chair around so I was face to face with him.

“This is so different Rob, this is fucking Live 8, which is being broadcast to the entire world, your lucky I’m singing backing vocals to Angels, you have had plenty of time to get someone else, no,” I said again more sternly whilst turning back to the mirror and applying more mascara.

“Ok fine I’ll see if someone else can convince you,” and with that he was out of the dressing room, leaving me to finish getting ready. We had thirty minutes before we were due to go on stage and then we would be flying out to Berlin to continue on with the tour. So far I had avoided meeting Nick, but that was mainly because he had only arrived thirty minutes ago and hopefully he was stuck doing vocal warm-up, to busy to come and look for me and I wasn’t about to go and look for him.

After I applied my lip gloss I blew myself a kiss in the mirror and went in search of my guitar to make sure it was tuned. Our room, or should I say partition was quiet then again I was the only one in it and the paper thin walls didn’t do much to hide any sound so of course I could hear what was going on next door.

“You know what Howie, you do that and I’ll do the bit you’re supposed to do,” I heard Nick moan. Great they had the room next to ours, which made the odds of us bumping into each other more likely. Glancing at my watch I realised I had just enough time to grab a quick drink, maybe a shot for courage before we were due to gather for prayer. Lifting my guitar from my lap I walked towards the door, heading for the bar. The backstage area was huge and I walked through the maze of makeshift dressing rooms ohhing at the different names written on them. Status Quo, Paul McCartney, Madonna, U2, Elton John, Joss Stone and Snoop Dog.

Just as I walked passed the door that had Brad Pitt written in a star it opened and out walked Robbie, a huge smirk crossing his face when he saw me.

“If it isn’t the Lady herself, Brad this is who I was telling you about, and remember no picture or autograph until she says yes.”

He was even more gorgeous in real life. The jeans were just tight enough and he had on a black leather jacket that made him look yummy, was he chucking at me? Ohh maybe because he had his hand held out and I was still staring. I gladly took his hand and it was so smooth.

“Nice to meet you Willow, I am on orders that I have to make you agree to something,” he said looking into my eyes.

“I….nice to meet you, you are so dead,” I said looking to Robbie who just laughed.

“So why won’t you sing, if your singing ability is as good as your writing ability, which I am assured it is, then you have nothing to worry about.” Brad Pitt was standing here complimenting me; I could now die a happy woman.

“You know my songs?” I asked timidly.

“Of course, I love the work you’ve done with this guy here, so why won’t you agree to sing with him?”

“I… uh…I…” I stumbled making them both laugh.

“See no credible reason not to, your doing it,” Robbie said and I had to give in. “Thanks brad I knew you wouldn’t fail me, and I think we better head to it girlie, can’t keep the adoring public waiting can we,” he said steering me towards the stage and I could feel the butterflies starting to flap.

“It was nice meeting you, I’ll be watching,” Brad said, which made the butterflies flap even harder.

“Ok now I might just throw up,” I groaned as I was pulled towards the stage.

 

I could hear the crowd singing along and it got my adrenaline pumping, I looked to Kevin who was deep in conversation with Howie, probably about harmonies, A.J was jumping up an down annoying Brian and I walked toward the side of the stage to get a better view of who was performing.

I could see her, in her own world, playing guitar. It didn’t matter that there was god knows how many thousands of people in the audience; she was still lost in her own world. She looked great, black pants and a purple tank top, to match the purple tips of her newly extended curly hair. I continued to watch as the song came to an end and she pulled the strap of the guitar over her head and picked up something to her right, which I couldn’t quite see.

“As you know, I have sung a duet with a very sexy lady, who unfortunately can’t be here today, so I am going to introduce you to another very, very sexy lady, this is KIDS!” Robbie yelled before the band kicked in and the crowd again went wild.

He kicked into a rap and I had lost sight of Willow due to the dancers that were on the stage, so I just bobbed my head along to the beat, until I saw a familiar face on the screen across from me and I felt my jaw drop as I heard her voice.

“Me no bubilicious,” she sang as she strutted her stuff on stage whilst Robbie replied. She oozed sex appeal, swaying her hips to the beat of the music, and throwing him cheeky grins. How he had managed to make her sing in front of all these people, I had no idea. This was not her, she had always been shy and timid, avoiding the limelight at all costs, but then again she had a great voice and maybe this tour had given her more confidence in her abilities.

“She must be drugged,” A.J exclaimed as he pushed my shoulder.

“She looks great,” I said wising immediately that I hadn’t.

“Ohh Nicky has a crush, Nicky has a crush, Nicky wants to do Willow,” He chanted jumping up and down. He was always like this before a show and usually it didn’t bother me because we were usually like it together, but all day I had known that she was here I had felt different, hoping to bump into her, rather than actually going to find her. I was glad that Kristen had flown back to L.A; otherwise I think she would have led me by the hand to find her.

“I’ve already done Willow,” I retaliated, with a self assured smile.

“Yeah, can’t have done a good enough job though man,” he joked, “She does look fucking hot though, talked to her today? Or are we still in avoid mode?”

“I’m not avoiding her, I’ve been busy today, I haven’t had time to see her,” There was no way in hell he was buying that.

“Jesus Christ, I tell you what if we didn’t need your pretty face I’d be smashing it against that speaker right now, she was in the dressing room next to ours, you could have gone over and asked to borrow a cup of sugar, hell I did it with Madonna,” he laughed, fiddling with the bottom of his mike.

“You asked Madonna for a cup of sugar?” I asked intrigued.

“Well she didn’t actually answer the door, but her minder kindly told me that sugar was available from catering.”

“You’re a freak, has anyone ever told you that?” I chuckled.

“You guys know you love me, and Robbie is going to the after party which more than likely means she will be going too. You can casually bump into her then, buy her a drink and talk,” he said nudging me. I kept quiet and turned to watch the rest of her performance, A.J’ and Kristin’s words echoing in my head.

 

I kept seeing something jump up and down at the side of the stage and glanced over to see A.J and Nick. I didn’t have to look to know that he was there; I could feel his eyes on me during “Feel”. I knew he was going to be shocked that I was singing in front of such a massive audience and I was dying to hear what he had to say about it but then again I was also too scared to go and talk to him, to be the first one to make conversation. I turned my head back and gazed out to the thousands of people in the audience and I could feel my butterflies start to flap once again. What the hell was I doing? I must have been crazy to agree to this, but the crowd didn’t seem to mind my voice so it wasn’t too bad.

The song came to an end and Robbie thanked the crowd as we all walked off stage and towards the bar. I was kinda sad that it was one way on and one way off the stage but I was also kinda relieved as that meant that I could again avoid the awkwardness of having to make small talk with Nick. I looked over my shoulder and I could see them all huddled together in prayer, his hair had grown again and he still looked good. His head moved and I wasn’t quick enough to turn mine away, his eyes locked with mine and he threw me a smile and a wink and I felt myself smiling back towards him whilst being dragged by Neil the bass player.

“Come on the bar waits.”

“I’m gona chill here for a bit, I’ll meet up with you guys ok?” I said pulling back from his grasp, he just shrugged and carried on walking. I looked around and found a gig box which I hopped up on to, ready to watch their performance.

Twenty minutes later their set was coming to an end and I saw Nick walk towards the other wing and put on his guitar, I knew he could play as I had been the one to teach him, but he had never had the confidence to play in front of an audience before, I guess that had changed.

“Who wants to meet Nick’s new girlfriend?” Kevin asked the crowd, and there was a collective boo and no among the crowd and I think even one from me.

“This is Helga,” Nick proclaimed, “She’s an extremely good listener and she also likes my finger work,” he chuckled which made me laugh. I watched him concentrate on getting his fingering right as the band kicked in to just want you to know.

“Looking at your picture

From when we first met

You gave me a smile that I could never forget

And nothing I could do

Could protect me from you that night.” He sang the words into the mike but he wasn’t looking at the crowd instead he was looking into the wing, there was no way he could see me sat behind all these people, but he definitely knew I was here and I smiled thinking to when we had first met.

He had been a gawky sixteen year old on their first headlining European tour and it was the first summer I had spent with my Dad since my parents had divorced. On one hand it was cool because I was getting to travel Europe, but then again I was travelling Europe with my Dad, with no one my age so it kinda blew too.

I remember being sat outside the venue with a beat up guitar of my dad’s playing the opening rift to “sweet child of mine” just minding my own business when he walked outside and caused me to abruptly stop. The conversation had been strained to say the least, I wasn’t used to talking to boys seeing as I went to an all girls school at my mothers insistence, but he persevered and here we were nearly ten years later, best friends.

I sighed realising that we weren’t though; we hadn’t talked properly in nearly five months now, I missed being able to pick up the phone and ask him for help on a song, or to listen to his geeky voice mails telling me how bored he was. He once decided to read me the dictionary in a voicemail because he was bored. He got to atrocity before giving up.

I was pulled from my thoughts when A.J pulled my legs and I began to slip from the box I was sat on.

“WILLOOWWW,” he yelled, grabbing me in to a bear hug.

“Eww your sweaty,” I said but I didn’t pull back I just hugged him tighter. He eventually loosened his grip and pulled back to look at me.

“Girl you are looking fine, and hello was that meek little you singing out there? You sounded fucking amazing,” he complimented and I could feel myself blush. “Really you did, I however was complete piss from the looks that Kevin was throwing me.”

“Babe you were shit hot and you know it, you just want a compliment,” I reassured him and he smiled at me.

“You know me to well, look I gotta pee but you’re coming to the after party right?” He said jigging up and down.

“Yeah, but only till around twelve, got a flight to Berlin later.”

“Cool, I’ll see you there sweetie and we can catch up properly,” he said as he lent in and gave me a quick peck on the cheek before darting off towards the toilets. I laughed as I watched him go but my then my breath caught in my throat as I heard someone clear his throat, I exhaled slowly before turning to him.

“Hey stranger,” she said smiling up to me and I couldn’t help but smile back to her. I didn’t say anything, instead I reached out and pulled her in for a hug, she was hesitant at first but I felt her arms wrap round my waist as she hugged back. After a while I made myself pull away and she looked to me, right you haven’t said anything, say something.

“You owe me a hundred bucks,” I said and she rolled her eyes.

“That’s all you can say? Well I don’t have it,” she countered.

“Too bad you bet me a hundred bucks you would never sing in front of a live audience of people you didn’t know and correct me if I’m mistaken but you aren’t that popular,” he said pointing out towards the crowd and I laughed.

“Fine, fine deprive me off my last hundred bucks,” she whined and we fell into an awkward silence both avoiding eye contact while we thought of something to say, both starting a sentence at the same time, making each other laugh.

“You first,” I said.

“You were great out there, hell of an improvement with the guitar,” she complimented.

“Thanks, but I think the most improved confidence award goes to you today, you sounded great, all the guys said so, Kevin was speechless, which never happens,” that last statement made her laugh.

“Stop talking about me Carter,” I turned when I felt his hand on my shoulder. “Although I hate to admit it Will, he’s right, I was totally speechless, you were amazing,” he said as he pulled her into a hug and she hugged back.

“Thanks,” she replied shyly, not being used to all the attention and compliments.

“We’ve got press Nick,” he said turning to me, and I inwardly sighed not wanting to stop talking to Willow, I could tell she was thinking the same when I looked to her and she quickly tried to cover it up.

“Uh… sorry I gotta go, but your coming tonight right?” I asked.

“Yeah for a bit anyway, I’ll see you there?” she asked.

“Yeah sure, I’ll see you there,” I said as I started walking backwards following Kevin and she smiled and waved bye. Turning I grinned to myself, see that wasn’t so bad, it could have been worse; she could still hate my guts.