- Text Size +

Aaron watched in awe as the older man walked slowly towards the stage. The tears in the older man's eyes brought tears to his own eyes as he turned silently to notice that Nick, Aj, Howie and Brian were crying as well. He'd waited for this moment for all these years and now, here it was. What would he say to the man now walking up onto the stage? How could he possibly express the emotions he felt... his sorrow for the man's loss... and his overwhelming gratitude for the gift the he and his daughter had given him.

When Mark had finally made his way up onto the stage and was standing there in before him, he couldn't move. The two of them stared at each other in silence, taking in the moment for all it was and all it could have been. Finally, when the entire room had grown eerily quiet and the moment had grown slightly uncomfortable, Aaron handed his microphone to Nick and reached out his arms towards the man who returned the gesture with a warm embrace.

"Thank you..." Aaron sniffled into his ear, trying hard to fight back the tears that were steadily streaming down his cherry red cheeks. Tears he knew damned well he could only cry because this man's daughter had died to save his life. All this time and all the thoughts he'd put into what he was going to say and that was it, "I don't know what to say other than thank you."

But thank you was enough for Mr. Grant as he held the young blonde in his arms and hugged him tightly, thinking of how often he'd dreamed of this very moment -- of meeting the people his daughter had saved in her death -- and taking in the fact that such a painful and horrific tragedy in one person's life could bring about such joy and cause for celebration in another's.

"Thank you is enough," he whispered as he pulled away from the young man's embrace and turned to give his anxiously awaiting older brother a hug.

"My daughter..." he spoke quietly when the hug had ended and they were once again standing on the stage in silence, "my beautiful Lauren... she was a huge fan," he watched as Nick's face lit up in a grin and he reached towards him again for another small hug.

"I wonder," Nick whispered into his ear as the two of them hugged, "how Lauren would feel if she knew that now I'm her biggest fan." He sighed as he reached carefully up and wiped a tear from where it had come to rest upon his chin.

At those words Mark's heart skipped a beat. How would she feel? How truly incredibly happy would it make his daughter to know what had become of her life? Her liver, her kidneys, her lung... her heart. How grateful would she have been for the chance to give life to so many families... to so many wonderful people? How blessed would she have felt to be able to make up for the loss of her mother by giving her own life to someone else?

He could only imagine the smile on her face as she watched this entire party from Heaven. Watched side-by-side with her mother, who he just knew for certain was so incredibly proud of the woman their daughter had grown up to be.

He was shaken from his thoughts by the feeling of a hand upon his shoulder and he turned quickly to see the familiar face of the young Latino he remembered singing so beautifully to his daughter the day she had died. There was no sign of recognition in his eyes... know sign of rememberance... but he wondered if the man knew. He smiled slightly at Howie, who returned with his own grin and a small hug.

"We sang to your daughter..." he jerked sharply when he heard another voice speak. It was the young man in the sunglasses with the hat upon his head and the scruffy beard -- Aj maybe. He was pretty sure his name was Aj. "We sang to her in the hospital," he continued as he approached him slowly, the look of recognition definite in his eyes, "the same day Aaron received his lung transplant."

Mark's stomach lept up into his throat as he watched the other three young men stand there in silence, their mouths open wide.

"You did," he responded, wiping his own tears as recognition finally dawned on the faces of the other two members who'd been there that day, "I will never forget the amazing gift you shared with my daughter and myself that day."

"Wow," Brian spoke as he approached the quiet coversation now occuring on stage, "I remember that now... I should have known. Aj never forgets a face."

Aaron and Nick stood in silence as the three men took their turns at hugging Mr. Grant and offering their thanks and their condolences. He couldn't believe what he was hearing... that the very day this young girl had died... the very day he'd been given his gift of life... Brian, Aj, and Howie had met her and shared their gift of song with her family. All these years of waiting and wondering to find out that they'd spent a few quiet moments on that day with the young woman who'd saved his life.

The hugs, and thanks and shows of true gratitude and humility continued there on that stage for a several more minutes. The crowd watched in awe as the site unfolded before them.

"Maybe you guys should do another song," Mark offered when he felt the audience may be growing bored. He hugged Aaron one last time and turned to walk down the stage.

"Any requests?" Aj hollered after him as he held his hand over the microphone and wiped his tears one last time, thinking that perhaps the older man would like to hear that one song that reminded him of his daughter.

"There is a song," Mr. Grant spoke quietly, "you sang it in the hospital and it reminded me of my daughter... I've listened to it since then, many times and it reminds me of her everytime I hear the words..."

"What's that?" Nick asked, "just say the word and we'll sing it in her honor..."