- Text Size +

I'd been knee deep in my own investigation when I heard the sound of Bosco's voice yelling out from my belt loop. He was calling for a bus and I knew in that moment that things could not be good. Bosco rarely took anything seriously and when he did... well then you knew it must be serious. I took one final glance around the room and shuddered at the sight I'd been trying my best to keep my mind on of for the past half hour. Now what I needed was to get far away from all of it. This had to be one of the most horrid investigations I'd yet to encounter. I pulled myself up off a spot I'd taken on the floor and made my way out into the hallway. I could use this moment to check up on my partner and take a much needed break from the gore.

I'd spent that half hour taking blood samples and dusting for fingerprints and trying to come up with any small bits and pieces of evidence I could possibly find and from what I could see already this sicko hadn't been too cautious. There were bloody handprints scattered about the entire room and I'd even managed to find the knife he'd used to... well... nevermind. Let's just say I'd found the knife he'd apparently used to commit part of his crime.

Bosco had been given the job of interviewing our witnesses and from the sounds of things, at least from what I'd just heard over my radio, that wasn't going too well. Two witnesses were already in the hospital, one having been shot and stabbed and nearly murdered himself... the other having suffered an apparent breakdown, which wasn't at all unusual given the nature of her husband's death. I could only imagine where I would be in the same set of circumstances. Another witness was about to be taken in, for reasons unknown to me... and of course, our best witness was currently on his way down the elevator in a body bag.

I stood out in the hall and tried to take deep breaths. This was my ritual... trying to rid myself of the evil horrors I'd seen in that hotel room. My eyes focused in on Davis as he stepped out of the room across the hall and looked my way. "You okay?" He asked as the elevator doors opened and the paramedics, my husband included, began to file out with their gurney. I had to roll my eyes at the irony of this entire situation and simply nod my head.

"That was brutal in there," I answered, pointing towards the room and trying my best to be civil to Ty. I watched as my husband pushed his way out of the elevator and gave Ty a small sideways glance before turning towards me and smiling. I smiled back and waved. "Hey babe," he said as he pushed the gurney off on his fellow medics and walked over to say hello. It wasn't often Jimmy and I ran into each other at work, but we considered it a fate meeting whenever we did and we always stopped momentarily to say hello.

"Hey hun," I smiled and watched as Davis and now Finney who had joined him in the doorway made gaggy faces behind Jimmy's back. I stuck my tongue out at the two of them. Jimmy pulled away after giving me a quick kiss and I followed him in the direction of the room Bosco was in. Before I even made it in the room the other two medics were wheeling a young man out on a stretcher and Bosco was following close on their heels. The young man was in obvious pain... pain that I could almost feel just by looking in his eyes.

"What the hell happened in there?" I asked Bosco as he leaned over and whispered something in Jimmy's ear before the three men pushed the gurney back onto the elevator and disappeared behind the closing doors.

"That was insane," Bosco finally replied turning towards me, his face red and his eyes not doing well to hide how pissed off he really was, "absolutely fucking insane!"

"What happened?"

"He was hurt Amy!" Bosco rarely called me by my first name and when he did he meant business. "Where the fuck is the chief? What kind of show do they think they're running here anyway? That kid was seriously fucking hurt and they didn't even bother to take him to the hospital! What the fuck!"

Wow. I had rarely seen Bosco so emotional over a witness. In facy, rarely had I ever seen Bosco emotional period. But then I had to go back and remember what the young man had been through himself... in that hospital the day he was shot... Bosco had been through all sorts of hell in his own life too. There was no denying that and something here had triggered his emotions.

"Bosco calm down."

At that moment Faith Yokas stepped out into the hallway to ask what all the commotion was about. She knew immediately when she saw Bosco upset that something was wrong. He'd been her partner for years before he'd been mine and she'd been there that fateful day.

"Where the fuck is the chief?" Bosco asked again as he reached a hand towards his radio and started removing it once more from his belt. Yokas stopped him and pointed... "He's right there."

And sure enough, there he was... walking down the hall towards the three of us as if nothing in the world was going wrong this day. And Yokas and I both looked at Bosco at the same moment and I could tell we were both sensing the same thing... that all hell was about to break lose.

"Is there a problem Boscorelli?" The chief asked as he cautiously approached us from the room he'd been in the whole time.

"Yeah there's a problem." Bosco replied, clearly losing his patience. The problem was no one knew what was eating him or why and I knew what was going to happen... that Bosco was going to jump straight down the chief's throat before anyone had a chance to stop him and it would all be because something in his past was still eating at him.

"What's that?" The chief asked.

"The problem," Bosco said growing redder and obviously angrier by the second, "is that Brian Littrell, the young man I was just supposed to interview was obviously badly injured... but did you give a fuck? No. You didn't. You and your guys came in here all high and fucking mighty and you cleared this place out and you named your suspects and you made them sit there asses down and you left them there. You left them there knowing their friend may be dying and you left them there knowing that they may be dying and you... YOU don't give a shit."

And there it was. Bosco's past. Coming back once more to eat at everyone around him. Bosco blamed everyone but himself for what happened in that hospital that day. It didn't matter that it was a gang of lunatics who shot him... or that Faith Yokas single handedly saved his life... or that everyone and their brother prayed for him and visited him and wanted him to get better. Nope. All that mattered is that everyone but Faith Yokas left him alone in that room to die. And in his mind Faith owed him because he was trying to save her when he got shot. It didn't matter that there were still madmen on the loose or that other people's lives were in danger... all that mattered was that no one cared enough to go back and save Maurice Boscorelli.

And even though they all knew that wasn't what it was really all about... that it was really all about Bosco's insecurities... it was what Bosco made it all about.

The Chief just sighed and shook his head. "They were never suspects Boscorelli."

He looked up at him and snorted, "What?"

"They were never suspects. And no... we didn't know that Brian was hurt... he never said anything about it."

And in that moment I saw Bosco's face fall and I wanted to reach out and pull him close and hug him... but I knew that would only push him farther away.

"We kept them all here because we had reason to believe that their lives were in danger Bosco. That if we let them all go to the hospital to be with their friend... that something would happen to one or all of them. And that... we couldn't let happen."

Bosco didn't say another word. He turned silently and walked back into the room he'd been in with Brian, shutting the door behind him.

"I'm sorry about my partner chief." I said as I too turned to walk away from the entire situation.

"Me too." The chief said... "me too."

Chapter End Notes:
-- For a little background on the Bosco situation... here -- http://youtube.com/watch?v=yUVWFPct-ac