- Text Size +
The Best of Both Worlds
Eleven: Back-Up Plan

I hate it when AJ grills me on my lack of sex. Even more so when it seems like I really should be getting laid – but I'm not. I don't think he's onto our little scheme, but I do think (well, I know) that he thinks it's absolutely hilarious that Dani and I aren't hitting the sheets.

Oh so hilarious. I'm just dying of laughter over here.

Of course by that I mean, I don't find it funny at all. This is what we do as guys, we talk about girls and brag about our sexual exploits. And if I can't brag... then I get made fun of. At least by AJ. I'm sure the others couldn't care less. It probably has something to do with the two of us being the youngest and most attractive. (Me more than him though, definitely.)

Either way, that morning we were once again getting lectured by Kevin. That really isn't my favourite past time, but it seems to happen a lot. This one had something to do with shouting our personal business for the world to hear. Apparently we have to be careful with doing that because we don't know what could get out and tarnish our image.

Whatever.

“Nick, are you listening to me?” Kevin practically barked, snapping me back to reality. That guy really meant business with his lectures.

“Yes, sir.” I said, mocking him slightly. AJ snickered a little, causing Kevin to roll his eyes.

“Glad we're clear on that.” He sighed. “Stop fighting over this girl, there are plenty more.” He said, and then went into what our schedule for the day was going to be. I can't say I really paid attention to that either.

I don't really think AJ liked Dani all that much though. Sure, he had before. Now all that it was, was that his ego was hurt. He'd lost, and I'd got what he'd wanted without even trying. I could tell that was what was driving him up the wall. Why shouldn't I take the chance to rub it in his face? After all, he was usually the one to come out on top when the two of us fought. It was time I had a turn, dammit!

If AJ thought I couldn't get Dani into my bed, he had another thing coming. I could get her, and last night was proof of that. I mean, I still didn't know where I stood on the whole relationship issue, but that could come later. Besides, I didn't have to actually sleep with her, I just had to make AJ think I was.

Dammit! That's what I get for not paying attention... did I walk into a wall or something? Oh... Dani. Perfect timing, heh.

“Dani!” I said, trying to sound excited and not at all awkward about what had happened the night before. It's not awkward unless I let it be awkward, right? “Did you have a good sleep?”

She gave me a strange look. Was I not doing a good job at making things seem normal? “Yeah. I'm just going downstairs for breakfast... do you want to come?”

No! If I went for breakfast with her she was probably going to grill me and ask me all sort of questions and talk about where we were headed and all this crap. No, it was definitely too early to have that conversation. Plus I didn't even know what I would say. I wasn't sure how I felt about her, I mean we were friends! The reason this plan was supposed to be full proof was because we were such good friends and there was no way we'd end up having feelings for each other. Right? Right.

“I can't, we've got to get going to do interviews and stuff.” I said quickly. Okay, it was a weak excuse, but I was sure she would buy it. I gave a quick glance to Kevin to show him that, yes, I had been listening to what the plans were for that day.

And buy it she did. “Okay, I'm starving so I'm going to get going. See you guys later.” She said, offering AJ and Kevin a quick wave and hugging me.

AJ shot me a cocky smirk. Oh yay, a hug. Fuck that, I'd show him that a stupid hug wasn't all I could get from her.

Just as she started to pull away from me, I licked my lips and leaned down to kiss her. Now, I don't mean to brag (well, okay, I do) but I'm a damn good kisser. I know what to do to leave girls wanting more.

Which is exactly what I intended to do with Dani, and it showed. I only kissed her for a couple of seconds, but by the time I pulled away she really didn't look as though she wanted to stop regardless of the fact that AJ and Kevin were standing right there.

“See you later, Dani.” I said, winking at her. What? I never said I wasn't a cocky bastard!

“Bye.” She replied, her eyes still half closed. She turned and slowly walked down the hall. When she finally stepped onto the elevator I grinned at AJ.

“How's that for getting whatever I want?” I asked. Kevin just shook his head and AJ rolled his eyes.

“Whatever, Nick. A kiss is a kiss, I still say you're not getting any action.” He laughed. “And until I hear you two through the those thin hotel walls I'm not going to believe you.”

Ugh.

~~~


Soundcheck was uneventful, as it usually is. Of course Brian did manage to steal a few minutes of my time. Oh shit, wasn't I supposed to be talking to him about Dani and the fact that she liked me for real now?

Well, there really was no point in telling him about that, right? I mean, I didn't know what I was going to do with that information. I didn't have feelings for her... at least I didn't think I did. I wasn't sure. Things were definitely not awkward between us anymore, at least, not awkward in the sense that holding hands and that sort of thing was weird.

But it was awkward in the sense that we didn't know where we stood. But our relationship status hadn't changed, so what was the point in worrying Brian. If he thought he could get her, and he did manage to... that would sort of solve my problem, wouldn't it? I mean, I'd have to deal with some taunting from AJ about losing my woman to him and whatnot, but that would subside in a week or so and everything would go back to normal.

“I think I'm going to ask her out.” Brian said, once the two of us were alone. Dammit, I really should stop going off into my own little world.

See? He'd ask her out, they'd go on a date. No big deal.

“That's a good idea, Bri.” I said, not looking up from my comic book. Did he want some kind of acceptance or something?

“Is it, Nick?” He asked, sitting down beside me. Oh brother, were we going to have to have some heart to heart about this? “Are you guys still pretending to be dating?”

“Yeah, but that can be easily changed.” I shrugged. Well, I would have to deal with taunting... but not a big deal. The plan was to get AJ off Dani's back. If I could shift all the bullshit to Brian, my life would be that much easier.

Besides, it's not like I wanted her for myself. Nope, not at all.

“Are you sure you're okay with it?” He asked.

“Why wouldn't I be?” I shot back. Okay, I was starting to get a little annoyed. Let's chalk that up to the lack of sleep.

“I don't know, I just thought I should make sure.” He said, and with that he left.

What a day. AJ was laughing his ass of at me for not sleeping with her, and Brian was asking my permission to date her. When did my life go from being a comedy about a kick ass pop star, to a daytime soap opera?