- Text Size +
The Best of Both Worlds
Seventeen: No More Lies

Those damn bodyguards never let me go anywhere alone. I guess it was for a good reason – those girls could spot me a mile away. But you know what? I was hungry, and I wanted a freaking hot dog. Luckily there was a cart just outside our hotel.

I wasn't without my disguise though. Yes, a fishing hat and sunglasses was usually all it took to fool those fans of mine. Hands in my pockets, I sauntered down to the entrance of the hotel to buy my food.

There is something about a hot dog that is just so comforting. Maybe it's all the childhood memories of summer or something like that. But hot dogs can really make all your problems go away.

That is unless you see your best friend and fake girlfriend kissing right before your eyes. What is that? I didn't know they were kissing now... when did all that start? I was so shocked I backed behind the corner of the hotel and in my haste I dropped my hot dog.

Great.

Okay, it wasn't like they were making out and all over each other, but still... what gives him the right?

Uh I guess that would be me telling Brian he could ask her out, wouldn't it? Dammit. I don't know why this even bothered me so much. I don't like her in that way. At least I don't think I do. Sighing to myself, I turned around to buy another hot dog and then get ready for our concert that night. I'd sort out my feelings on the issue later.

~~~


All I know is that seeing Danica dancing with Brian made my blood boil. How could I have been so blind to not see it? Especially when I knew it right from the beginning. Brian liked her, and he wasn't a bad guy. If I didn't step up my game, I was going to lose her to him.

And it was happening. Fast. I had to do something, I had to act quickly, show her what I had only just realized myself.

Quickly tidying up my hotel room I tried to think of what I would tell her. How was I supposed to sweep her off her feet... and was I even allowed to since she was dating Brian now?

I opened my door a crack and waited for her to step off the elevator. I must have been peeking out the door for five minutes before I heard girlish giggles at the end of the hallway. Of course that would happen. The one time that I need to talk to her alone, she's with the hoard.

I had to find a way to get her alone.

So I held my door open, waited and watched while four of our dancers walked towards me.

“Oh my God, Nick, what are you doing?” Katharine screeched as the four of them nearly walked past me.

“Waiting for you guys.” I replied stupidly. Well, I guess it was kind of true. But I didn't want them to know that...so why did I say it? Good question.

The four of them exchanged a glance. I hated when Dani hung out with them, I swear they lowered her IQ twenty points.

I cleared my throat. “More specifically, I was waiting for Danica.” I said, narrowing my eyes at her.

Again with the glancing! Do girls have some secret eye language that I can't understand? Apparently they do, because they all giggled and pushed Dani towards me. The crowd finally continued on their journey down the hall and I pulled Dani into my room.

She gave me a strange look, and I guess I couldn't blame her. She didn't know what was going through my head, hell I really didn't. All I knew was how I felt when I saw her with Brian... and it wasn't good. So I did the only thing I could think of to really tell her what I couldn't put into words.

I put my hands on her shoulders and kissed her pretty forcefully. In fact, I think I nearly pushed her into my now closed door.

And she kissed me back pretty eagerly, I could tell she was letting her guard down. Yeah, things aren't so awkward anymore, are they Dani? She moved her hands up to play with my hair. Heh, I always knew she had a thing for my hair.

I pressed myself up against her, kissing her softer than I had started out. Lacing my fingers with hers, I tried to lead her over to the bed, but it didn't really work.

As soon as I slightly pulled away and made eye contact with her she seemed to snap back to reality. She abruptly unlocked her hands from mine and pushed me off her.

“Nick!” She nearly shouted. “What the hell?”

I ran a hand through my hair – which she'd disheveled only moments ago. “What the hell what?” I asked her, sitting down on the bed. “You seemed to be enjoying yourself.”

Dani glared at me and put her hands on her hips. She blushed – or maybe her face was turning red out of rage. No, it had to be blushing. My Danica always blushed at the tiniest thing.

“You can't just... kiss me like that.” She said, shuddering and pacing around the room. I just smirked as I watched her. Even when she was angry and full of rage, she was adorable. “No, Nick!” She shouted, stopping and looking at me.

“Why not?” It was a valid question. I was sure she'd imagined me kissing her dozens of times. So why did we have to have a long drawn out talk about our feelings? Why couldn't I just kiss her and make love to her to show her how I felt?

God, listen to me, saying things like 'My Danica.' and 'make love.' I really have it bad.

“Because!” She yelled, looking up at the ceiling. She sighed and sat down next to me. “Because.” She said again, softer this time. “I can't just sleep with you, Nick. I can't do that unless I know what you want and I don't want –”

I cut her off by kissing her again. What? She was killing my passionate moment with her girly worries!

She didn't stop me right away, but she did stop me eventually. “Why are you trying to over complicate things, Nick?” Her voice was sad, and I don't think she quite got it. I think she thought I was just trying to get laid.

“I'm not trying to over complicate things, Dani.” I assured her, our faces were still only an inch apart and I kissed her again before continuing. “I lo–”

This time it was Danica who shut me up with a kiss. “Don't say that, Nick.” She pleaded. “Don't say that unless you really mean it. Unless you're ready to deal with what those words carry.” Her voice was shaking and she was blinking away tears. What was she crying for? This was supposed to be a good thing! Wasn't this what she wanted?

“Dani, I do.” I said, feeling desperate. Why wasn't she believing me? I'd waited too long, that's why. Damn it, Carter! I scolded myself. Why couldn't I have sorted my shit out sooner?

“Me too.” She replied quietly, tears falling from her face and landing on the bedspread. “But I can't!” She exclaimed, jumping up and wiping her eyes. “Brian.” She said sternly. “Brian! Remember him? Your best friend, who will flip his shit if he finds out we did this.” She yelled, gripping me by the shoulders and staring into my eyes.

“Do you have feelings for him?” It was blunt, but I already knew the answer, and I had to get my point across. Hell, a few more minutes of this and I was going to start crying too. Nobody wanted that.

She shook her head.

“Do you have feelings for me?”

She nodded slowly, biting her lip.

“Then he'll have to accept it.” I used my thumb to brush her tears away. I couldn't tell if they were tears of sadness for what we were about to do to Brian, or happiness that I'd finally come to my senses. Either way, she stopped crying and started kissing me again.

“I want to be with you, Nick.” She whispered, wrapping her arms around my neck.

“In...what way?” What?! It could have been taken a number of ways!

She rolled her eyes and laughed a little. “Both.”

That was all I needed to hear.
Chapter End Notes:
Wow I actually updated! I hope you guys liked this chapter.. if there's anyone still reading lol :P