- Text Size +

~ Chapter Thirty Nine ~

 

Stacy leaned against the counter in her little kitchen, staring down into the sink.  She loved it when Nick was happy and bouncing off walls and everything else in sight, just not when she had a headache.  It had been one thing while he was outdoors at the zoo, she was pretty sure he had more fun running around than Becky had, but once he was back inside, confined to a small space, he was getting on her nerves. 

At the moment, she wasn't entirely certain what he was doing, but the music was blaring full blast in the living room.  Everything Nick listened to was loud.  Stacy wasn't a music person, she had no idea who half the bands were that Nick loved so much, but he always had music on - in the car, at home - and everywhere else, the Walkman was always with him.

"Whatcha doin'?"  Nick arms appeared from behind her, wrapping around her shoulders. 

Stacy shook her head, then turned to face him.  Nick had long arms and wide shoulders.  Aside from the obvious - that he looked good in t-shirts - he gave incredibly good hugs.  That was, if he stood still and didn't dance to whatever obnoxious group was rattling the walls.

"What say we turn down the music?"

"What?"  Nick cupped his hand to his ear.  "Can't hear you!"  He found this comment especially amusing, sticking his tongue out as he laughed.

Stacy pulled herself free from his grasp, marched into the living room and switched the stereo off. 

"Geez, okay!"  Nick relented.  "Aren't you the touchy one!"

Stacy opened her mouth, then snapped it shut before she said something she'd end up regretting later.  She could have said plenty about him being ‘touchy', but the short while it would make her feel better wouldn't make up for the longer result of hurting his feelings.  She had already figured that one out - the hard way.  There were certain subjects that had to be treaded carefully with Nick, and being ‘touchy' was one of them.

She left him standing in the eating area next to the kitchen, still looking surprised, and headed for the bedroom.  This wasn't a good time for her to get sick.  Stacy didn't get sick to begin with, and especially not when she had two weeks until the lecture that would make or break her career.  She had too much to do, and it made her head hurt even more just thinking about it.  She dropped down on the bed and pulled the pillow over her head.

"Stacy?"  Nick followed her.  She knew he would.  "You okay?"  He sat down on the bed next to her.  Stacy wondered if that was a good sign that he hadn't cannonballed into the middle of it.  He learned quickly.

Stacy ignored him, partly because she was still annoyed, and partly because she was hoping if she didn't say anything he would go away.  That didn't seem to be happening.  He was quiet, but even then, he couldn't manage to stay still.  Nick would sit quietly for no more than a minute, then his foot would start vibrating.  It was unintentional on his part, he did it without thinking about it, but now the entire bed was vibrating.

"Nick, stop it."  Stacy gave up and pulled the pillow off her head. 

Nick frowned.  "Stop what?"

"That."  She grabbed his foot.

"Sorry."  Nick propped his elbows on his crossed legs.  "It's cause we're not playing."

"So you're going to be like this until Tuesday?"

He gave her his most charming smile, his dimples appearing.  "I'll get worse."

"Oh, marvelous."  Stacy sighed, shifting over to her side and closing her eyes. 

"I know I am."  Nick agreed. 

He was quiet after that.  If Stacy hadn't known better, she would have thought he hadn't been in the room at all.  As much as she would have preferred to fall asleep, her mind wasn't letting her.  For once, she wasn't thinking about work, she kept going back to when Brian had been talking about being in the hospital and his near death experience.  She had seen the look on Nick's face when Brian was explaining it to her, and she had the sneaking suspicion there was a lot Nick hadn't told her. 

She opened her eyes to find Nick, sitting quietly, his chin propped on his hand, watching her.  It was slightly unnerving, and at the same time, it made her feel better.  He gave her a half smile when she made eye contact, his good mood suddenly gone.

Once she started watching him, he moved, shoving the pillows up against the headboard and flopping over on his back.  "C'mere?"  He offered, patting the bed next to him.

Stacy scooted over next to him, pillowing her head on his sweatshirt.  He didn't say anything else, just lay there quietly, one arm wrapped around her, the other hand absently playing with the ends of her hair.

She was just about to bring up the angel discussion at the butterfly exhibit, when Nick finally said something.  "I really don't want to go to New York."  He sounded slightly panicked.

"Why?"  Stacy would have looked up at his face, had she not been so comfortable lying where she was.

Nick sighed, thinking again.  "It's just... ya know."  He stopped, expecting her to fill in the blanks.  This was how Nick operated.  He wouldn't say what he was thinking, but if she said it, he'd agree.  Somehow it was different if it came out of her mouth.

"Going back against the Yankees?"

"Well, yeah, I guess."  Nick allowed.  "But, I don't know - something always happens there, and it's never good."

"You're only going to be there three days." 

"I suppose."  Nick dropped the subject again, reaching over to tuck a strand of hair behind her ear.  "Stacy?"

"Hmm?"

"You know what Brian was saying earlier?"

"Which bit?"  She knew which bit.  So he had been thinking about it too.

"About the... whatever you want to call it."

"The near death experience?" 

"I guess."  Nick sounded skeptical.

"You guess?  It was classic, Nick.  A bright white light..."

"It's not white."  Nick interrupted.  "It's invisible but you know it's there."

Stacy did sit up and look at him now.  "You too?"  Her suspicions were now confirmed, she just didn't expect him to admit it so readily. 

Nick flinched.  "Yeah... I think so, anyway."  He said finally. 

"When?"

Nick shrugged.  "I was, um, in the hospital when I was fifteen."  He broke eye contact and stared at the wall.

"And you think it was an angel?"  Stacy switched back to the first subject, recognizing she was heading into forbidden territory.

"I guess."  Nick repeated.  "I don't know what it was... I'd just like to think it was.  You know?  I'd like to think that there something out there that's watching out for me."