- Text Size +

~ Chapter Forty Three ~

 

The commercial ended, and the smiling faces of Stan Morgan and Bob Carter appeared on the screen, a brightly lit Yankee Stadium visible as a backdrop behind them.

"Welcome back to Fox baseball, for game five of the American League Championship Series as the Seattle Mariners take on the New York Yankees in the bid for the World Series.  I'm Stan Morgan, joined by Hall of Famer Bob Carter.  Last night, the Mariners beat the Yankees 2-1 with some incredible pitching and defense.  Tonight - the Yankees last chance.  They hope to hang on and take the series back to Seattle."

Bob took over.  "This series is hardly over.  You can't just write off an offense like the one the Yankees have this year - and the Mariners know that."

"Of course, the big story this series has been Brian Littrell, but for a moment, let's talk about some of his teammates."  Stan took his turn.  "AJ McLean for instance - he has yet to give up an earned run in the postseason.  It's hard to believe at times that he's only in his second year in the big leagues."

"You have to love his attitude."  Bob agreed.  "He's weird, but you can't help but like the guy."

"Let's talk about Nick Carter for a moment.  He got off to a slow start with the Mariners this year, after being traded from the Yankees, but picked up the pace in the second half of the season.  He's had a good series against the Yankees, hitting .600 with a home run and 5 RBI's."

"He's coming back in here to prove something."  Bob pointed out.  "You have to play well against your former team, especially in the playoffs."

"Do you feel it's worked better for the two of you with him playing for a different team?  Less tension, between father and son, maybe?"  Stan was hinting at the rumors that Nick had left the team because of his disagreements with Bob.

"Well, that was his choice."  Bob wasn't going to commit one way or the other.  "It was his choice to leave the team.  He's not a kid anymore and he has to make his own decisions.  It seems to have worked out well for him.  We had a nice visit last night, he's happy with the team he's with, he seems to be happy in Seattle, he's going out with a nice girl, things seemed to work out just fine."

"Well, it sounds like it worked out for the best for both of you then."  Stan decided it was time to move on.  "Tonight's starting pitchers..."

 

~*~

 

"And we go to the bottom of the ninth, the Mariners leading the New York Yankees, 3-2."  Niehaus' voice had been steadily climbing throughout the entire game, until by the ninth inning, he was in full blown fevered pitch.  If he grew any more agitated, he was going to go into orbit around the announcers booth.  "McLean is coming in from the bullpen.  One would like to THINK it's over, but stranger things have happened.  Three more outs and the Seattle Mariners go to the World Series for the first time in their history."

 

~*~

 

Kevin was waving the infield in towards the mound.  Howie jogged towards the middle of the infield.  Three more outs, AJ was in the game, why did Kevin feel the need to call a conference now?  Things were looking good. 

"Is everyone straight on everything?"  Kevin started off, as soon as Brian, Alicea, and Richards appeared on the mound. 

"Perfectly straight."  Brian assured him with an angelic smile.  That same smile had been on Brian's face all day long.  He was the player responsible for the offense again tonight, scoring two of the Mariners three runs. 

"We're gonna clinch a World Series berth in Yankee Stadium."  Kevin shook his head.  "How weird is that?"

Everyone except AJ nodded slowly, agreeing with that one.  The booing was growing louder, the longer they stood on the mound.  Howie had goose bumps.  If someone had told him at the beginning of the season the Mariners were going to beat the Yankees in the LCS, he would have laughed.  How had they gotten this far?

"You know what?"  AJ said suddenly, participating in the discussion for the first time. 

"Yes?"  Brian asked, raising one eyebrow.

"I just remembered another store I should hit before we leave town.  Do you think I'll have time tonight?"

Kevin shoved his mask back onto his head in annoyance.  "Damn it, AJ!  Could you just FOCUS for once?"

AJ waved his glove at Kevin.  "Get back behind the plate.  Let's get this over with."

 

~*~

 

 "The runner on first takes his lead, here's the pitch to the plate, SWIIIIIIIIIIING and a miss at a forkball in the dirt, strike one."  Niehaus had grown even more excited, if that was possible.  "One out here in the bottom of the ninth for the Yankees, they tying run on first, the winning run at the plate.  McLean stares in towards the plate, he has the sign... he steps off the rubber and fakes a throw towards first.  Typical McLean move - the more crucial the situation, the more he tries to throw the opposing team off balance.  He's back up on the mound, kicking at the top of the mound, here's the set, and the pitch...

"That's hit towards the shortstop... Alicea has it... quick flip to Littrell at second... THETHROWTOFIRSTISINTIMEANDTHEMARINERSAREGOINGTOTHEWORLDSERIES!" 

People would wonder after that call why Niehaus hadn't spontaneously combusted.  Half the radio listeners hadn't even been able to understand what he had said, they just knew because he was screaming, the game had been won.

 

~*~

 

"I could get used to this winning thing!"  AJ yelled over the music blaring in the clubhouse, as he madly shook another bottle of champagne, his eyes seeking out Brian as a target.  The Fox TV camera crews were setting up to broadcast the presentation of the MVP trophy.  There was no question - Brian was going to be MVP, and AJ had every intention of getting Brian, and getting him good on live TV. 

Nick started screeching from the other end of the clubhouse again.  "Howie!  Aw, man!  Don't!"  He pulled his arms up over his head so Howie couldn't spray him in the face.  Howie, not one to let little obstacles deter him, dumped the rest of the bottle down the back of Nick's shirt, laughing with delight when Nick started hollering again.

The lights behind the cameras flashed on, one of the crew members grabbed a soaking wet Brian and pulled him over in front of the camera, and Bob Carter started the presentation ceremony. 

AJ circled around, trying to figure out exactly when the best angle and time would be.  These kind of things had to be planned carefully.  If you didn't put the effort required into it, it just didn't work. 

"AJ!  You wouldn't!"  Nick whispered in shock from behind him.

AJ turned around, frowning.  "Damn right I would.  Watch."  It was almost time.  Bob had just finished his speech, listing Brian's achievements, and of course mentioning he was fighting a malignant brain tumor, which caused a flash of mild annoyance to cross Brian's face, before it was replaced with the usual ear to ear smile. 

Brian took the trophy from Bob and opened his mouth to speak.  "Thank you..."

AJ moved in for the kill, laughing maniacally in delight when the champagne hit Brian full on in the face.

Brian sputtered once or twice, then wiped his eyes and glared at AJ.  "Thank YOU, AJ!" 

"No trouble at all!"  AJ inspected the now half full bottle.  Bob Carter looked awfully pristine, standing there in his white dress shirt and perfectly combed hair.  Bob needed some champagne.  AJ caught Nick's eye, holding up the bottle, then tipping his head towards Bob. 

Nick's eyes widened, before he shook his head vehemently.

"You know, I don't really know what to say.  I'm very honored, but at the same time, I know we wouldn't be where we are right now if it wasn't for a whole bunch of other guys..." Brian was downplaying himself and focusing on the rest of the team, as usual. 

AJ jumped in and dumped the rest of the bottle over Bob's head.  That was better. Now he looked like everyone else.  Soaking wet - and more than just a little annoyed. 

Someone handed Bob a towel.

AJ circled around to stand next to Brian and make faces at the camera as Brian finished his speech.  He knew he was irritating Bob, having his presentation screwed up, but AJ was getting a kick out of it.  Bob was more fun to annoy than Kevin was. 

"Lastly, thank you for your thoughts and prayers."  Brian finished.  "It means a lot to me -  I really appreciate the support people have shown the last two months."