- Text Size +

~ Chapter Forty Five ~

 

"Tonight - power versus finesse.  The best offense in the major leagues facing off against one of the best pitching staffs in the American League." 

Pictures flashed across the screen - highlight shots of Dodger hitters swinging; of Mariners pitchers striking batters out; Nick climbing the wall in right field to take away a home run; Brian pivoting at second to throw the ball towards first base.

"Fox Sports brings you game one of the World Series - the Los Angeles Dodgers against the Seattle Mariners." 

The theme music cued once again, and the camera cut from an overhead helicopter shot of Dodger Stadium to the announcer booth and Stan Morgan and Bob Carter.

"Welcome to Chavez Ravine, as the Los Angeles Dodgers take on the Seattle Mariners in game one of the World Series."  Morgan started.  "Tonight, it will be Greg Bloomsbury starting for the Dodgers, against Tim Casella, the Mariners number one starter."

The statistics for each pitcher flashed up onto the screen, each accompanied by the usual terrible team mug shot taken in spring training.  Bloomsbury looked slightly crazed, as left-handers were prone to look, and Casella just looked bored. 

"Both fifteen games winners during the regular season."  Bob Carter jumped in.  "Bloomsbury's ERA may look a little on the high side, especially for the National League, but with the way the Dodgers have scored runs this year - it's been enough for him to win anyway."

"So, what's in store for game one?"  Morgan asked. "Let's take a look."

The screen cut to yet another montage of highlights, this time accompanied by soaring, Olympic-esque music.  Fox Sports spared nothing in the drama department.  A head shot of Ryan Christiansen, the Dodgers all-star first baseman, appeared, Christiansen staring across the field, head raised, the lighting shining up from behind giving him an heroic appearance, both offensive and defensive highlights playing along the background while Bob Carter started his voice-over.

"Power... strength... controversy..." The picture changed to one of the often volatile Christiansen screaming in an umpire's face over a call.  "Tradition..." Jackie Robinson appeared, then Kirk Gibson's limping home run trot around the bases in the now famous game one of the 1988 World Series.

Now a head shot of Brian came onto the screen, his eyes staring intently at the camera from beneath his navy hat brim.  "Determination... perseverance... enthusiasm..."  The video highlights changed to one of Brian's leaping, arm waving, cheerleading fits in the dugout as a team member rounded the bases.  "Personality..." AJ, standing in the bullpen during the championship series, yelling something at a fan in the Yankee Stadium bleachers, followed by AJ's triumphant champagne spraying of Brian during the MVP ceremony.  "Tragedy..." The video ended with a dugout shot of Brian, sitting on the bench, bent over with his head in his hands, Kevin's arm across his shoulders.

"We'll be back with the lineups and the national anthem after these messages from your local station."

 

~*~

 

Kevin stood along the baseline, arms folded, staring up at the crowd in front of him.  The PA announcer was finishing the end of the Dodger lineup, and soon the national anthem would start. 

It was only five in the evening , the sun was setting just enough to cast shadows from the light standards across the field.  Kevin had been playing professional baseball for ten years, but he had never experienced a feeling quite like the one he was now.  There was an electricity on the field that he had never felt before.  The grass looked greener than usual, the crowd was louder, everything had a distinct aura to it that Kevin knew he could never forget.  This was his ultimate dream, he was actually living it, and how many people were able to say their dream had come true? 

He wouldn't be standing there, on the field at Dodger Stadium, moments away from the start of the World Series, if it hadn't been for Brian.  Sure, baseball was a team sport, Kevin was more than aware of that fact, but it was the little extra spark that Brian had given the team in the championship series that had pushed the Mariners to where they were today.  If Brian hadn't been playing - it would be an entirely different situation.  Kevin would be sitting in his family room at home, watching the Yankees play the Dodgers. 

Kevin leaned forward slightly, looking down the row of gray uniforms at his cousin.  After his play in the LCS, Brian was now batting leadoff.  Brian was standing quietly next to Buddy Williams, looking serious for once. 

The lineups finished, a musician Kevin had never heard of in his entire life came out to the microphone set up behind home plate and the national anthem started.  Kevin pulled his hat off with the rest of the players, feeling tears prick at the back of his eyes.  He actually had a lump in his throat.  He still couldn't believe this was happening.