- Text Size +

~ Epilogue ~

 

The Seattle Mariners turned in another respectable season, winning their division, but were eliminated in the first round of the playoffs.

 

Howie Dorough never won another batting title.  His numbers the next two seasons reflected his career, and he retired soon after that, moving to Orlando and starting a real estate company - with several female co-workers. 

 

Kevin Richardson played another two years in the majors, then retired and coached for the San Diego Padres, before accepting the manager's position with the Kansas City Royals, where he stayed for eight years, bossing everyone to his hearts content, and winning two AL Central titles and one League Championship Series in the process. 

 

Becky Richardson never outgrew her fascination with angels, in spite of what her father hoped.  She spent most of her middle school years debating whether to become a geneticist or a doctor, and eventually chose a career as a pediatrician. 

 

AJ McLean remained one of the top relievers in the major leagues for several years to come, playing for the Mariners, the New York Mets, the Cleveland Indians, the Arizona Diamondbacks and finally, much to his father in law's delight, the Atlanta Braves, retiring with the lowest postseason ERA in major league history.  He was inducted into the Hall of Fame, and insisted that his lucky socks be put on display along with his jersey. 

After his retirement from baseball, AJ worked as a color commentator for Fox Sports.  He and Felicia had one more child after Natalie, another girl, Cassandra.  As expected, both girls grew up to have impeccable taste in clothing, and much to their mother's chagrin, a strange fascination with hair dye. 

 

Bob Carter worked less and less for ESPN and Fox as the years went by, but published several books on baseball, including one co-written with his wife Jane, on raising a superstar baseball player.  Their son never commented on the book, other than to roll his eyes when he first heard it was being published.

 

Nick Carter, as the baseball experts had predicted, hadn't even begun to play at his full potential.  He eventually signed a contract with the Mariners, and in the next six years won a batting title, two gold gloves, an MVP award and came within kissing distance of the triple crown of baseball, an occurrence that hadn't happened since 1967.  He finished his career as a Yankee, and won his third World Series in Yankee Stadium.  Nick was inducted into the Hall of Fame five years after his retirement, as a Yankee. 

As Becky had suggested the year before, Nick ended up giving Stacy a ring next Christmas.  She stayed in Seattle working for Immunex until Nick signed with the Yankees, when she transferred to another research company based outside New York City.  They had two twin boys, Danny and Anthony, both of whom grew up to play professional baseball.