- Text Size +

“We need to clear out the room, please. Everybody just leave quietly and there’ll be no more problems.” The officer kept his authoritarian stance as he watched the small crowd of semi-drunk twenty-somethings disperse the scene. Seeing the man who was the cause of his visit rise and begin to leave, he grabbed him by the arm. “Except for you…you stay with me.”

“Aw, shit, man…what the hell for?” To say he was a little intoxicated would be an understatement. It had probably been a good thing the officer had grabbed his arm or he’d be flat on his face right now.

“From what I understand, you’re why I’m here. Now sit your lily white ass down on that chair until I get the story straight.”

“I ain’t sittin’ down for nobody. I’m goin’ home.”

“Young man, I suggest you sit down.”

Yanking his arm from the grip of the officer’s, the offender finally did move enough to land on the floor. Fortunately for him, it was on his ass. “There, I’m sitting.”

“Not quite what I had in mind. How much have you had to drink tonight?”

“Not enough. I can still feel something.”

“You’re gonna feel my cuffs on your wrists if you don’t get up here and cooperate with me.”

With his arms draping over his knees the young man finally dropped his head, realizing there was no way he could stand up without help and most likely without throwing up. “I can’t, Officer. I’m drunk.”

“And you punched one of your companions…or do you even remember that?”

“He was bein’ a dick.”

“Mmm…come on. You’re too drunk to drive and make sense. I’m takin’ you in for the night.”

“What!? No! You can’t do…” He struggled to get up, grabbing at chairs and tables, slipping and sliding along with them across the tiled floor. Finally upright, or so he thought, he practically begged, “…You can’t DO that! You can’t take me in!”

“Oh yeah…I can and I will. Come on.”

Taking hold of the blonde’s arm again, he tried to escort him out to his car. Common sense be damned, the taller man fought. Again. And fell. Again. “Shit. This can’t be happening.”

“It is and now you are under arrest.”

Before he knew what hit him the drunken man was cuffed and being forcefully led outside to the squad car, with what felt like a million eyes on him. Not that a million eyes on him was necessarily a new thing, but this way? With humiliation to boot? Well, now that he thought of it, this was becoming a bit too familiar as well.

Tossing the drunk against the car, the officer’s partner began the routine of pat down and rights. When he’d finished examining his back, he spun the blonde around and finally looked at his face.

“Well, well, well…if it isn’t ‘You can’t arrest a Backstreet Boy!’ I see we meet again, Carter.”

“Fuck you.”

“You know, you’re in enough trouble as it is. I’d shut those rosy lips of yours until you get your attorney here. Which will be in the morning. Tonight? You detox.”

Taking a breath and finally thinking better of it, Nick let the officer lower him into the car. He wouldn’t cry this time. This time, he wouldn’t feel…anything.