- Text Size +

“So what the fuck were you doin’ at Chuck E. Cheese, man? You datin’ another teenager?”

“Oh fuck off, Mike. I had that kid I’m mentoring and his brother and sisters out.”

The two friends grabbed their beers from the bartender and slid into the center of the VIP section of the club, hoping for a quietly wild evening. Not too many cling-on’s but plenty of fun.

“You gotta mess with the whole family now?”

“No, I just…did.” Tossing back a huge swig of beer, Nick flipped off his friend who was staring at him like he’d grown a second head. “What?”

“You voluntarily took these smarmy kids out for pizza? What’s gotten into you?”

“Their mom was missing…big sis was missing. I dunno. I just felt…” Setting his already empty bottle on the table, Nick leaned back, a bit disgusted with this line of questioning. “Why are you so damned nosey about it, huh? I just took the kids out for dinner. They don’t ever get a decent meal. Why’s that so shocking, huh?”

“Oh, I don’t know. You’ve just seemed more interested in Nick Carter lately. Not really giving a fuck for anyone else in the world.”

“Gee, thanks, asshole. Next time I need my head examined I’ll skip Dr. Laura and just call you.”

“See, now, that’s the Nick Carter we all know and love.”

“Fuck you.” With a burp and a hand through his hair, Nick made a quick scan of the dance floor. “Let’s go find us some ladies. I’m sick of lookin’ at your face every night.”

******~~~~~~******~~~~~~

Sometimes the benefits of stardom were just unbelievable. Within five minutes on the dance floor, Nick had danced with two women already and now had three others circling him, rubbing up against him, grinding everything they had up against everything he had. You just couldn’t beat it. Well, if he could get one or two of these beauties home, he’d surely try anyway.

Wrapping his arm around the waist of the blonde in front of him, he ground his hips into hers, smirking at the effect he was having on her. It was too easy. Still feeling another female behind him, he wrapped his other arm back, to pull her in closer, making himself a nice Nick sandwich.

Sadly, the front gal thought she should have Nick to herself and walked off in a huff. That was fine. One more where that came from…at least. Raising his arms to turn to the shapely body behind him, he ran a hand down the length of her long black hair as she turned to face him, and slowly bring her gaze up into his eyes.

And quit breathing. Both of them.

“Solana!?”

“Nick!? Oh shit…I’ve had too much to drink. I didn’t even…” She stammered and fidgeted and started mumbling something in Spanish. Something Nick was sure he did not want to understand. “Lo siento, Nick…I…I mean, I’m sorry.”

“Don’t be. How’d you get away from the muppet party?”

“I really…you know, let’s just forget we saw each other, huh? I gotta go.” She tried to escape the dance floor, but it was already too packed, making a quick escape impossible.

Grabbing her arm he pulled her back to him. “No, I’m not gonna forget. Let’s go upstairs, huh?”

“And do what?” It was obvious where her mind was and she was not interested. Well, she wasn’t going to let him onto any other idea anyway.

“Oh God, Solana…up to VIP. To talk. Man, you are drunk.”

“And you’re not, Mr. Carter? I thought that was your favorite pastime.”

“No, Miss Romero, I’m not. And if I’m gonna be honest with my counselor tomorrow I’d be smart to stay that way. Come on.” He slid his hold down to her hand and pulled her through the crowd.

Finally upstairs and settled into a remote corner, he ordered them both some water and sat back, shaking his head at the irony of the situation.

“What? You’re mocking me.”

“No, I’m not mocking you, but this is damned funny, don’t you think?”

“I’m not laughing. I’m embarrassed.”

“Why the hell are you embarrassed? You got a night out and went dancing. What’s wrong with that?”

Burying her head in her hands, which was suddenly throbbing as though it were already the morning after, she sighed when no answer would come. She wasn’t thinking clearly. Her body was still very much “on” from the bumping and grinding session she’d had with the stranger downstairs. And here he was sitting smugly in front of her. Life was so unfair sometimes.

“Solana…this is no big deal. People go out. It’s kinda nice seeing you out of your element.”

Peeking out from her hands, she couldn’t help but answer his smile with a weak one of her own. She did deserve a night out away from her munchkin, dammit. She just didn’t think she’d be running into a client, no less rubbing her ass up against his in a seductive dance.

“And what is your element, Mr. Carter? This it?”

“First, please…you call me Nick at the center. Let’s keep it that way. Sounds like you’re talking to my dad.”

“Well, you played ‘dad’ tonight, didn’t you? How’d that go?” She was grateful for the water, and frankly for the quiet seat. It’d been so long since she’d had a night out, she wondered if it was the two drinks in her or the atmosphere that was truly intoxicating her. She didn’t feel so foggy all of a sudden.

“Eh, it went. Kitty was home when we got back, so I felt better anyway.”

“That’s good. Ben fight you at all?”

“Nope.” Why he didn’t want to tell her about the tires was beyond him. Somehow it seemed he’d gain more trust if he just kept it to himself. Besides, he had a plan of punishment for the little shit at next weeks’ meeting.

“Well, good. Maybe it was a good thing you did that after all. Where’d you end up taking them?”

“Chuck E. Cheese. Ben was thrilled.”

“Oh, he’s just being a pain. What 12 yr. old kid wouldn’t love a room full of video games?”

“I know…he was fine. Jack whoops my ass at everything we do though…he’s, um…”

“Amazing. In that environment and he and Liz both are gonna come out shining. Or, at least…they can if they keep trying.”

“And Ben?”

“That’s what we’re counting on you for, Nick. Find what makes him shine.”

“You’ve got to be kidding me.”

“Nope…maybe you can find what really makes you shine too…away from the spotlight.”

“Might not be a bad idea. Spotlight hasn’t been too bright lately anyway.”

Hearing him get suddenly serious, Solana began to feel uncomfortable. Not only was she sitting up in VIP of this nightclub, but she remembered her friend that she left downstairs. This was proving to her yet again, that her role nowadays was that of mom and social worker. Single woman on the prowl did not suit her. Smiling empathetically at Nick for his honest statement, she stood and excused herself.

“I’m gonna head on out, I think. Thanks for the break from down there. I might have done something really stupid.”

“Yeah, if you’re rubbing booties with me…god knows who you’d have ended up with.”

“Mmm…no kidding. Couldn’t get much worse than you, though.”

Smiling through his glare, Nick was honestly thrilled this little meeting happened. Might ease some of the inexplicable tension between them. He wondered if he could take it one step further.

“You know, I’m really not into this scene tonight. Can I take you home?”

“Uh…I don’t know, Nick.”

“Did you drive?”

“Yeah, but my friend can if she’s not too trashed.”

“Let me take you.”

Man, he could pull off a pout like the best of them. And dammit, it was cute. Heaving a sigh of resignation, she caved. “You’re not getting out of the car, Mr. Carter.”

Saluting her demands, he smiled. “Yes’m. A sober ride home. Period.”

“Why do I feel like I’m going to regret this in the morning?”

“I don’t know. I’m gonna make sure you don’t.”