- Text Size +

“So what happened?”

“Lani, I’m afraid I’ll break trust with him. I told him if he cooperated, I’d keep it quiet. He did. Just…let us work it out, huh?”

“But, Nick, he ditched an appointment and that’s directly against the rules set up for him. You’re not doing him any favors in protecting him on this.”

“I’m not doing us any favors by telling on him when I promised I wouldn’t either.”

Solana peeked into the family room to make sure Rosalie and Jack were okay and then invited Nick out back. Sitting down, she motioned for him to join her. “Look, I get that. I respect that, but you both have to hold up your end of the bargain. He blew it, so any promises you made are null and void.”

“But you didn’t need to know it. I’m just afraid…”

“What?”

“Look, I feel like I’ve built some sort of relationship with him. I’m not sure, because what he did…well, it shocked me. But I handled it fine and I think, if you just let this go, we’ll be okay.”

“I’m sorry, Nick. I’m going to have to pull rank. As his social worker, I must know. I’ll take the blame if he freaks. Besides, this might open the door to talk to him about that man who messed with him…without breaking trust again.”

She had a point there. That needed to be discussed with a professional and he knew that she wasn’t going to come out and say, “Hey, kid…Nick told me some guy messed with you. What up with that?” No, she’d gracefully get it out of him and no one would be the wiser. Dammit, he had to talk.

“Okay, you win. But, really, I think I handled it fine.”

“Then where is he today?”

Nothing. He had no fight left. She was right. As right as his ‘discipline’ for Ben was, obviously the kid was still fighting. “I hate that you’re always right.”

“Not always, just usually.”

“Alright, Miss Gizzardhiney…when we were out to dinner that night, he slashed my tires. Expensive bastards too. So, next time we met, I took him up to a car dealership. Buddy of mine owns it and his landscaper had just quit on him. Told Ben that since he liked messing with knives so much, he could put it to good use. Made him trim all the bushes around the dealership to sort of pay me back.”

“Oh wow…that was good.”

“Thanks. Not bad for a Gigglebuns.”

“Why do you think he slashed the tires though?”

“That one is outta my league. All I know is I thought making him work off the money would do him some good.”

“And you were right. That was an excellent plan.” She sat back to think about it all. Get to the why’s of Ben’s behavior. “You felt everything was good that night before hand?”

“Yeah, it really was. With all of ‘em. I mean, he bitched at me about stuff, but he always did it.”

“Do you think…” She continued mulling it through her head, weighing his previous behavior with Nick’s personality…or what she could see of it. “…that he was jealous of how well you got along with the others?”

“Hmm…never thought about that.” Nick sat back and ran through some scenarios of their times together. Trying to conjure up comments Ben had made about things. And then, he remembered one. “You know, the first time I was at his house, he caught me and Jack shooting hoops. Made some snotty comment about it.”

“Yep. See, Jack and Liz’s dad is still around now and again. He and Kitty’s hasn’t been seen nor heard from since they were babies.”

“And Amy?”

“No idea who her daddy is. It’s not Jack and Liz’s anyway.”

“Nice.”

“This is their reality, Nick.”

Shaking his head and finishing off his lemonade, he looked over to her. So strong a woman, yet so sensitive to understand these kid’s worlds. “Well, it’s a shitty reality then.”

“Yes, it is. But some of us break free from it.”

“You!?”

“To a degree, yeah. That’s why I’m here. Never knew my dad, have a list of ‘uncles’ longer than Santa’s bad boy list. Moved over and over and over ‘til we ended up here in Tampa. Then I turn around and did the same thing Mama did.”

“And that is?”

“Got my ass knocked up by a bastard. Starting the cycle all over again.”

“Yeah, but look at the life you’re giving Rosalie. This is paradise compared to the Casey’s.”

“Because I insist on it being that for her.”

“Patty could too.”

“Well, I had a strong Mama. She slept around too much, but she was a strong woman. I bet Patty didn’t have that. Makes a difference.”

“So who’s gonna make a difference to these kids? Who’s gonna break the cycle for them?”

“Maybe it’s going to be you, Nick.”

*****~~~~~~******~~~~~~

“Where the hell have you two been?”

Nick and Jack brought their bikes into the back yard, exchanging glances at Ben’s snotty inquisition. Where had they been? Where had he been!?

“Where does it look like we’ve been, Moron? We were riding bikes.” Brothers could be so loving. Although, this relationship was one he couldn’t relate to at all. He and Aaron fought, but not with the anger these two did.

“Mmm…I’m surprised Mom’s bike held you, Nick.” Ben dribbled the basketball and shot. Made it.

“You got a problem, Ben?” Nick wasn’t going to take this shit from the kid. Maybe he was only 22, but he was an adult and Ben was a kid. If for no other reason than that, Ben was going to treat him respectfully.

“Yeah, I got a problem. I come home and Kitty tells me MY mentor is out palling around with my brother.” Another shot. Another basket.

“How long were you gonna make me wait on you? I do have other things I could be doing, you know.” Nick grabbed the rebound and shot it from under the hoop. Made it. Too bad neither of them were having fun.

“Yeah, takin’ my brother on a joy ride on a Schwinn. Real important.”

Grabbing the rebound again, Nick stuck the ball under his arm and bore his eyes into Ben’s. “Do you have homework?”

“Did it.”

“Good…is your mom home?”

“Why do you care?”

“Because obviously you have something to say to me and you probably need to eat.” Tossing the ball to the smart alec, he snickered when it caught him off guard. “Kill two birds with one stone.”

“Is HE coming with us?” He looked to his brother with such venom, it downright frightened Nick. But he couldn’t show it. And honestly, it didn’t seem to phase Jack. He must have been used to it.

Looking apologetically to Jack, Nick shook his head. “No, Ben. Jack’s gonna stay home now. Just you and me.” Solana had been right. The kid was jealous.

“Why do still keep comin’ by? I’m sure you’ve fucked Miss Romero enough by now that you can sweet talk yourself into getting someone else to buy off your jail time.”

Without a word, Nick walked inside to find Patty. He heard words between the brothers but decided to let them fight it out. He didn’t know what was keeping him from punching Ben right in the face, but he was grateful for whatever resolve was washing over him. Acting on instinct would be no good right now.

Getting permission from her, he walked out, said goodbye to Jack, calling him Gigglebrains one more time for effect and walked to his car.

When he realized he was not being followed, he stopped and turned to the insolent teen. “You comin’?”

“Why are you doing this? Why won’t you just get the hell out of my life?”

“Right now, that’s not a safe question to ask me. Just get in the truck, Ben.” He walked around to the drivers side, asking himself the same question. Why was he doing this? Mumbling once more, more for his benefit than Ben’s, “Just get in.”