- Text Size +

“Ooh..ooh, turn this up. I love this song.” Ben reached up and took care of the stereo volume on his own, bopping along to the music slamming through Nick’s truck.

Truth was, he was trying to avoid the fact that there were no more stops or activities on the way. He was being taken home. Home cooked meal or not, he didn’t want to go. He preferred Nick’s. The house, the company, the atmosphere. He almost felt like a normal person there. Home just sucked.

“Wait, wait, wait…” Nick brought the truck to a slow-down and leaned over to Ben’s side. “…is that…”

“What?”

“Over there. Leaning over that flat of plants…that Miss Romero’s uh…booty?”

“Yeah! It is…let’s go see her.” Jack started bouncing in his seat, happy for the diversion, happy to see Miss Romero.

“Just real quick. Your mom’s expecting us soon.”

Nick pulled into the gravel parking lot and slowed as he approached where Solana was shopping. Rolling down his window, he quieted the boys’ giggling before he called out for her, bringing back his fishing rod goose from their last visit. “Hey, lady! Watch where you stick that thing!”

“What!?” Solana stood quickly, turning to the voice. “Oh you…” seeing the boys inside, she censored herself and quickly. “…creep. What are you doing here?”

“Watchin’ you at the moment…” Big grin and then a bop to Ben’s head as he made kissy noises in the background. “You can stop that now, Ben.”

“Don’t wanna.”

“Get out of the truck…” The three boys piled out and went around to Solana, straightening up quickly to be more polite.

“God, what a gang of trouble you guys are. Where were you headed?”

“Back home. We’ve been at Nick’s fishing and stuff.” Jack’s sunburn said it all, but his smile said more.

“Oh yeah? You too, huh? Did you catch anything?”

“Yeah, a few little ones…Nick makes us throw them back though.”

“Well, sure…you had fun anyway though, I hope?”

“Yep…and get this…we just went to the grocery. Mom’s cookin’ dinner tonight.”

“You three? At the grocery? Why didn’t you call me? I’d have brought my video camera.”

“Hey, now. I shop! A guy’s gotta eat.”

“Mmm-hmm…frozen pizza, mac ‘n cheese…”

“It’s food.”

“Sorta…so, wow…your mom’s cooking huh?” She looked up to Nick figuring he had something to do with this change. “What motivated her to do that?”

“Tired of being in a slump I guess.” Nick shrugged it off and started looking at all of the flowers and bushes on Solana’s cart. “Good god, woman…you plantin’ a forest in your yard?”

“Yeah…starting too late. I’ll probably lose half of it, but I’m sick of my backyard looking so bare.”

“Do you have some help? It’s awful hot out.”

“Nope…just me and Rosalie. But uh…I could use some. What are you big, burly men doing tomorrow, huh?”

“I’m busy.”

“Bakin’ a cake.”

“Painting my nails.”

“Wimps. All three of you. Painting your nails, Ben? I thought you had that professionally done.”

“I fired her…she kept painting outside the lines.”

Laughing and shaking her head, Solana went back to the flat of flowers she had been inspecting. “Well, that’s fine. Wasn’t planning on having help anyway.”

“You serious? We can help…I‘ve got nuttin’ ‘til Tuesday.”

“I should be asking if you’re serious.”

“Yeah…just not sure how much help we’ll be.”

“Can you lift and shovel and push dirt around?”

All three boys simultaneously lifted their arms to show their great muscles. “Yep.”

“What’d you guys do? Rehearse before you came here?”

Bopping the younger boys on the head as he lowered his arms, Nick moved a potted bush out of the way so she could put the flat on the cart. “Okay, I’ve got an idea…”

“Oh no. Nick has a plan. We’re all in trouble.”

“You know, Jack…I could make you walk that skinny butt home. You’d miss Mom’s dinner.”

“Shutting up.”

“Yeah…you might like this plan. So, we come help you tomorrow. Be manly men and all…IF you promise to come over to my place and swim it off.”

“Me and Rosalie?”

“Of course…and Ben and Jack…”

Seeing the eyes of the younger blondes light up, Solana smiled. This all had gone so far beyond her wildest expectations. Nick seemed lighter, Ben was surely happier and Jack, who only occasionally copped an attitude with her, had stopped altogether. And now Big Mama was cooking dinner again. Either the stars were in good alignment or Barry really did know what he was doing to match Nick up with this family.

“Come on, Miss Romero…his pool is awesome!”

“Yes, I’m sure it is.” Staring Nick down and getting only a boyish grin in return, she had to concede. “How early can you boys be over tomorrow?”

“When do you want us?”

“How’s 10 sound?”

“Good…I’ll pick the guys up and we’ll be there. You need help loading this stuff up?”

“Nope. One of the guys here can help me. You go on so Mama can cook. I’ll see you in the morning.”

They said their goodbyes and Solana giggled as she watched them pile back into the truck, playfully jabbing, tripping and just generally tormenting one another. Once in the truck, Jack couldn’t stop bouncing.

“Calm down, Bud…what’s got you so riled up?”

“Nothin’…I just…this will be fun.”

“Uh, Jack…swimming will be fun. But first, we’re gonna work our asses off. You’d better think about that first.”

“That’s okay. I like Miss Romero…”

“I think we all do, Jack.”

******~~~~~~******~~~~~~

“Grocery delivery!” Jack ran into his house, causing the screen door to slam in Nick and Ben’s face.

“Ah! God…Jack, you putz. Nick’s nose could be worth millions!”

“Eh, other body parts maybe, but not my nose.” Winking at Ben who completely got his implication, they made their way into the house.

“Oh my go-…” Jack had stopped on a dime in the doorway to the kitchen and hadn’t moved by the time Nick and Ben caught up.

“What’s wrong?”

“Nothing…check this out…where’s Mom?”

Peeking over Jack’s shoulder, Nick and Ben both gasped. “I’ll be damned…”

Sparkling. The kitchen was absolutely sparkling. A faded, but clean table cloth covered the rickety table and all of the food that had once covered it was gone. Counters had been scrubbed clean and cleared of the junk. The cabinets’ old wooden doors looked fresh and almost new. The only food items cluttering the counter were items Miss Casey would most likely be using for that evening’s meal. Still broken down, still beaten up, but it looked so much better.

For one final inspection, Nick pushed Jack aside and stepped in. And stepped. And stepped. Looking up to the boys, they announced in unison, “Your feet don’t stick!” Joining him in the room, the younger boys started jumping and dancing around on the floor, testing its cleanliness. Jack found out first hand how clean it was.

He fell right on his butt.

Just in time for his mother’s entrance from the basement.

“What is going on in here?”

Nick quickly grabbed Jack and helped him up to his feet while useless Ben was doubled over in laughter. Shooting him a glare to get it together, Nick fumbled for an answer.

“I was, uh…I’m um…teaching him some dance moves…you know…Larger than Life?” He started lazily doing a few of the choreographed moves while humming the tune, but quickly stopped when she didn’t even crack. “…or not.” A weak smile from Nick and rolled eyes from Patty. Oops.

“Mmm…I didn’t know Jack could dance.”

“He can’t. That’s why he was on his butt.” Ben started cackling again and Nick playfully thwapped him on the back of the head and made one last attempt at saving face.

“Kitchen looks great, Patty…”

“Thanks…I’m exhausted, though.”

“I bet…stuff’s on the table there…hope it’s right.”

“It’ll be close enough. You’re welcome to stay and eat with us.”

“Oh, thanks, but no. I’ve been goofing off enough. But, uh…can I steal the guys again tomorrow? Miss Romero needs some help in her yard.”

“Yeah, sure…” Peeking around Nick to watch the boys disappear back into the living room, she continued. “You sure they’re okay? I mean…you’ve had them a lot.”

“They’re fine. I’ll take ‘em back to go swimming when we’re done.”

“You must have a magic touch or something.” She peeked into the bags the boys had brought and smiled. “You did good…these are perfect. Promise me you’ll have dinner with us one night, huh?”

“Yeah…sometime I will. And really…nice work on the kitchen.”

“I have you to thank…it feels good. Maybe I’ll tackle the living room tomorrow.”

“No thanks to me…you did it.”

“Yes, I did, didn’t I?” Grabbing the goodies from the table she made her way to the stove to begin dinner. “Now, if you’ll excuse me…I have dinner to make for my family.”

“Good…they’re looking forward to it.”

“For the first time in forever, Nick…so am I.”

******~~~~~~******~~~~~~

He made his way to the front of the house, wondering how long it’d take someone to clean up this area. That kitchen had to take her all weekend while they were gone. It was a miracle she could stand. Scruffing Ben and Jack’s hair as they began another Spider-man tournament, he took a deep breath trying to get his head focused on work again. Too much play this weekend. Not that he was complaining, but he had calls to make tonight. Time to be a grown up. Ugh.

Clicking his remote to unlock his door, he stopped when he thought he heard someone softly calling his name. Turning to the voice, he saw no one, shrugged and kept walking. Nope. There it was again, only a little louder now. This time, when he looked up, he saw Kitty peeking from the side of the house.

“Over here.”

“Oh! Kitty! Hey!” Making his way back, he had to shake his head as she slipped back around the corner. So stinkin’ shy.

“Shhh…I don’t want Jack or Ben seeing me…”

“Why not?”

“Just…I…” she looked down and turned to walk to the back of the house. Why she felt she could actually speak to this guy was beyond her. “…never mind.”

“No! No! Wait…stay there…” This girl was surely a lot of work. Jogging back up to the house, he made his way to the side where Kitty now had her back turned. “Okay…I’m here…what’s up?”

“Never mind, Nick. I shouldn’t have said anything.”

“Kitty…turn around.”

He watched as she took a deep breath and slowly turned around, but never looked up. “I’m sorry to bother you.”

“You’re not bothering me…”

Taking another breath, she finally looked up and dared to let her eyes rest in his. And she gasped. In the few months that he’d been visiting her home, she never once would truly look at him. She couldn’t believe that her stupid brother ended up with Nick Carter as his mentor. Nick Carter in her home. Nick Carter keeping her brother’s over night, taking Liz to the bathroom, buying groceries for dinner. Because, no matter how much of this ‘normal’ stuff he did for her family, he was Nick Carter, a Backstreet Boy. The Backstreet Boy as far as she was concerned. One of the many visitors in her dreams…the main player. And no dream, no picture, no video or CD could begin to capture who this guy was. And here he was, and she finally saw it. He was…

…just Nick. And he was beautiful. And smiling at her. She had to breathe again.

“I, uh…**gulp**…wanted to thank you for signing my…thing.”

“Not a problem. Can you do something for me now?”

“I can’t do anything for you.”

“Sure you can. Just talk to me. Don’t be afraid of me anymore, huh?”

“I’m not afra-…” Stopping herself, knowing full well he was right, she looked down again and blushed. “I guess, I have been afraid of you.”

“Nothing to be afraid of. Ask Ben. I’m just a normal dorky guy.”

“You’re not dorky…he’s dorky.”

“No, he’s a dweeb. Jack’s a twit. I’m a dork.”

There was that ever-elusive smile again. Two in one week. Amazing. “Oh…is that how is goes?”

“Yup…so you have no excuse anymore, okay?”

“Okay, I’ll try.”

“Would you like to…wait. Don’t move, okay?”

“What?” Before she could stop him, he was off, skipping the bottom porch step and knocking on their front door.

“Come in!”

Following orders, Nick stepped back inside, waiting quietly while Jack and Ben got to a stopping point in their game.

“Can’t we get rid of you?” Ben barely looked up from the TV to acknowledge Nick’s presence.

“No…I like it here.”

“Yeah, right…what?”

“Do you mind if we pick up Kitty tomorrow before we go back to my house?”

“It’s your house.”

“I know, but…” now Nick was embarrassed for some odd reason. Thing was, he realized Ben didn’t mind the addition of his sibs in a situation if he was the one who initiated it. So, by asking, showing Ben that he was still Nick’s priority, maybe this jealousy would be kept at bay. “…I know you don’t like extras when we get together.”

“Wait. That’s to pay back for working on Miss Romero’s garden. No. She can’t come.”

“How ‘bout this? Your mom said she’s gonna work on the living room…how ‘bout if Kitty promises to help your mom, huh?”

Ben finally tossed his controller aside and turned to Nick. He couldn’t argue with that logic. And Nick had asked for Ben’s opinion…didn’t just jump and do; his opinion mattered. He couldn’t let his tough demeanor falter too much, however. Having Nick comfort him while he cowered in that thunderstorm had been more than enough. Picking his controller back up and re-starting his game, he shrugged thoughtlessly. “Yeah, sure. Whatever.”

“Good, I’ll let her know. See you tomorrow morning!” He helped himself out and met Kitty back at her hiding spot at the side of the house. He had seen the glimmer of appreciation in Ben’s eyes. They were both learning. Give. Take. A touch of kindness. A taste of affection. It all worked together, didn’t it?

“Kitty…have I got an offer for you…”