- Text Size +

“Dude! Which way to the beach?”

Without taking his eyes off the scene before him, Nick called to the boys inside. “Holy shi-…Jack! Ben! Get in here…we’ve been had.” Letting the three goofy girls, woman, whatever in his house Nick was rendered completely speechless.

Jack and Ben careened through the house, sliding on the tile in the foyer, and plowed into each other like falling dominoes, even knocking Nick off balance. “What? How have we…oh my god, you’re right. We’ve been had.”

And they had. The trip to get Kitty’s bathing suit had been a fruitful one. There the three females stood, now in Nick’s foyer, in complete swimming/beach garb, but like the boys had done, all of the paraphernalia was pint-sized. Except for Rosalie. She was towing an enormous blow up whale behind her, aided by a string tied to her wrist. Somehow, tucked under her chubby arms…an enormous super soaker. She could take out an army with it if she only knew how to use it. Kitty, still covered in shyness wore floaties on her arms, nose clips and flippers. Solana was the crowning touch. Child-sized goggles squeezed her face, a short snorkel was quickly stuck back into her mouth and the best piece? A inner tube complete with a cartoon duck adorned her waist.

Gently pulling the snorkel from Solana’s mouth, Nick resisted the strongest urge he’d had with her to date. The desire to kiss this crazy woman was completely taking over. But…he didn’t. Not right. Dammit. “Are we even now?”

“I’d say we’ve completely humiliated ourselves, yeah.”

“Rosalie…who are you planning on getting with that water gun, huh?” Nick bent over and took it from her…thing was about to knock her over.

“You!”

“I was afraid of that. Okay, pool’s out back, drinks are in the frig, uh…I’ve got snacks I’m sure. I’m a really lousy hostess.”

While they had been talking and the boys made their way to scour through kitchen cabinets for snacks, Kitty had snuck a bit deeper into the foyer to unload her “toys” and stood, almost cowering by the couch. “Uh, Nick…”

“Yeah…oh wow.” Turning to see Kitty, he couldn’t believe his eyes. Once she’d removed her goofy stuff and he’d removed his eyes from Solana, he finally saw. She was still dressed in street clothes, but had put on a little make up, done her hair up nice…even found a half way decent shirt and pair of shorts. She looked…dare he say…beautiful. “Kitty…you look great!”

“Oh…yeah, well. Solana helped me…” she touched her face and looked down. “I need to change into my suit somewhere.”

“Bathroom’s second door on your left. Come on out when you’re ready.”

“Yeah, okay…”

Everyone but Kitty made their way outside, Rosalie tugging on the inflatable tube around her mother’s waist and Jack taking practice shots with the super soaker. She walked slowly down the hall, trying desperately not to peek into the open doors. She couldn’t help it. This was Nick Carter’s house. And damn, it was amazing. She’d never seen anything like it except on TV.

She closed and locked the bathroom door, wishing again for a lock on the door at home. Jack and Ben were the best at walking in when privacy was most needed. Looking in the mirror, she too was rendered speechless. She did look good. Solana had brushed her hair out especially nice and even trimmed the ends up real quick. The light make-up job and shiny barrette holding up one side of her hair did make just enough difference. Biting her lip, she turned away from the mirror and dug out the new suit she and Solana picked out…oh yes, and Rosalie. She chose the color.

Stripping off all of her clothes, she stopped again to check herself in the mirror. And then it dawned on her. She was stark naked in Nick Carter’s bathroom. Knowing no one could see her, but feeling very “watched”, she quickly stepped into her suit and slid the cover-up over her head. There was no guarantee the cover-up was ever coming off or she was ever stepping foot in that pool. Just being here took every ounce of nerve she had in her.

Somehow, Kitty made it to the back patio and slid the door open. Just in time to see Nick slide his t-shirt over his head. She must have audibly moaned because, the next thing she knew, Solana’s arm was on hers.

“You okay, sweetie?”

“Huh? Oh, yeah…” she fidgeted with her bag and straightened out her cover-up, “…yeah, I’m okay. I just forgot he’d uh…be in a uh…”

“…bathing suit. Yeah. Nice scenery, huh?”

Kitty looked up to Solana with a start. She’d never heard Miss Romero talk in such a way. It was kind of fun. “Yes. Much better than my brothers.”

“Well, honey, that’s how it should be. Brothers suck…but guys like Nick, now…very special indeed.”

“Yes…” She gazed at the scene in the pool as Nick popped up from underwater shaking his head free of the excess water, totally oblivious of the effect he was having on his female guests.

“You gettin’ in!? It’s not too cold.”

“When Jack does.” She knew he didn’t swim and knew he’d do everything he could to gracefully avoid letting anyone know. Yeah, it was a foul play. He had probably earned it recently.

“Yeah, Jack…you’re not wet yet!” Splashing water Jack’s way, Nick stopped seeing the look of fear on his face.

Jack said nothing. Jack said everything.

Nick caught it and hushed Ben, feeling the torment rising in the bigger brother. “Hey…” diving underwater again and popping up at Jack’s dangling feet, he tugged gently at them. “…you a swimmer?”

“Not really, no.”

“I had you on that boat and you didn’t tell me you couldn’t swim?”

“I was afraid you wouldn’t let me on.”

“I’d have made sure you were jacketed up more is all…come on in. I’ll help you.”

“You’ll help me swim?”

“Sure…we’ll start down there where it’s shallow.”

“I dunno…”

Hiking himself up onto the edge of the pool, Nick leaned into whisper to Jack. “Come on, Bud…let’s see if we can get Kitty in here. Open her up a bit more, huh?”

Jack looked up to Nick, smiling at him and knowing he could trust him. He’d not felt that way around anyone other than the random teacher and Miss Romero in a long, long time…it felt good. Really good. “Okay. I’ll try.”

Looking up to Kitty, he pleaded one more time. “Okay, Kitty…he’s getting’ in…you’re next! And then, Miss Romero…you’re looking WAY to dry over there.”

“Yes sir…ladies are on their way. Let me strap up Rosalie here.”

She put the swimming vest on her daughter and took Kitty by the hand. “Ready, ladies?”

“Ready, Mami!”

“Kitty?”

With a deep sigh, another glance at Nick and a realization that Miss Romero was not going to let her get out of this, she stood up and made a step forward. “Yep. I’m ready. Totally and completely ready.”

******~~~~~~******~~~~~~

“Hang on, Jack…I’ll pull you.”

“I’m hangin’…don’t go too deep.” Nick started walking backwards in the water while Jack held onto his arms and tried to keep his feet up and kicking. It had taken Nick almost an hour to get Jack to do this much. How does a kid grow up in Florida and not know how to swim? Ben and Kitty, while not pros, were comfortable and safe. Even Rosalie held her own pretty well.

“It won’t be over my head, you’re good.”

“It’ll be over MY head! Stop! Stop!”

“Jack, I’ve got you…I’m not letting go. You’re fine. Keep kicking.”

“I’m scared. I don’t like to get my eyes wet.”

“Are your eyes in the water?”

“No…”

“Then they’re not gonna get wet…let go of my arms…we’re gonna push out.”

“Nick…”

“Jack…”

Nick gently pushed Jack back so his arms were extended and Jack had to keep his whole body perpendicular in the water. He was doing great despite his whining.

“You’re doing it! Look at you!”

All eyes turned to the voice.

Ben.

It even shocked himself. But when Jack heard it, he got an air of determination that he hadn’t had before. He started kicking stronger, relaxing his body and trusting Nick completely. He was doing it.

“That’s it…okay, ready to try something else?”

“Yeah…I think so…my legs are getting tired.”

Nick pulled him to the shallow end and had him stand up. Even that was new. Since the water was up to his chest, he didn’t like to stand there either. “You good?”

“I’m good…now what? And why is everyone watchin’ me?”

“We’re proud of you, Jack…and tired of cartin’ you around!” Solana got Kitty’s attention and invited her inside to help Nick play hostess. There had to be more food somewhere in that house. Rosalie followed her mom in like a baby duck…with an invisible cord attached.

“She’s no help.” Knowing Miss Romero was joking, Jack glanced his brother’s way one more time. He couldn’t believe he was feeling encouraged by him. This was a first.

Squatting down in the water so his face was close to the surface, Nick invited Jack to do the same.

“Will I get my eyes wet?”

“Not yet…how do you wash your face, man?”

“By squeezing my eyes shut.”

“You can do that here too, you goof…but now, just your chin and mouth, okay?”

“Yeah, yeah, okay…” Jack squatted the small amount needed and watched Nick.

“All I want you to do is blow bubbles. As long as you can. When you run out of breath, start over.”

“I feel like a dork.”

“You are a dork…now blow bubbles. I’ll do it with you.”

“I thought I was the twit.”

“Blow bubbles…twit.” Nick started, trying not to giggle as Jack squeezed his eyes tight and barely touched the surface with his lips. “Come on…get your face in there…”

Taking a quick breath, Jack stuck his tongue out at Nick and went for it again, getting his face lower this time.

“That’s the way…now, hang on to my arms again…we’re moving. You be the motor.”

Hearing a splash behind him, Nick was startled when he felt a weight on his shoulders. “Can I ride back here?”

Ben again. What had gotten into this kid. He was rarely affectionate and only when Nick instigated it. Whatever it was, Nick liked it. He didn’t feel like he had to measure every move he made with the kid.

“Yep, wrap your legs around me…Jack, legs up…start your engines….and we’re off!”

After a few laps of the three man motor boat, Nick had Jack stop blowing and just start holding his breath, still keeping his eyes out of the water. Then…it was time for the final test.

“Okay, Ben…off my back and Jack, feet down. Time to go under.”

“Under!?”

“Under…water. Ben’s gonna do it with us.” Looking up to see Kitty peek back outside, he waved her in. “So’s Kitty. You’ve got half of your family here…you can do it.”

“No pressure…god. Okay.”

“Okay, let’s get in a circle…hold hands. Now, we don’t hold each other down there…just hold hands and Jack leads when we pop back up, okay?”

“I dunno…” Jack wasn’t so sure he could trust his brother. Which is exactly why Nick was doing this.

“I do.” Centering his gaze on Ben, he explained what they were going to do. “You know how to hold your breath. You count to three, Jack…we’ll all go under with you and you pop up when you need to…we’ll follow.”

“No one will hold me down?”

“Nope. You can blow out of your nose or mouth so water doesn’t get up your nose when you come up if you want.”

Big sigh. A hand squeeze from his big sister. A nod of confidence from his brother. A look that said nothing but success from Nick. Okay. He could do this. Clenching his eyes as tight as he possibly could, he crossed a new comfort zone. “I’m ready…one…two…three!”

Down the foursome went and only a few seconds later, all four popped back up, waiting expectantly for Jack’s reaction.

“I did it! I did it! Let’s do it again!” He’d never opened his eyes, but he was counting to three again. Four down. Four up. Count to three. Four down. Four up. Count to three. In one quick pop-up, Nick saw Solana struggling with a tray full of food and pitcher of lemonade, and quietly let go of the siblings hands to go help. Motioning for Kitty not to say anything, the Casey’s continued counting, dunking and rising to Jack’s delight. He never knew Nick had left.

“You got it?” Dripping all over the place, Nick took the tray from Solana looking at all the food she’d found…where the hell? “Where’d you find this stuff?”

“You had chicken in your freezer…just made a quick chicken salad. I’m hungry.”

“You hire out? I need a cook.”

“Uh, no…how’s it going out here?” Sitting the pitcher on the table, she looked out to the pool and didn’t even hide her surprise. “Oh my Go-…how’d you…look at them!”

“Amazing, huh? Jack’s doing great…”

“They all are, Nick…”

“Yeah, I guess they are. I’m just glad he’s goin’ under.”

“I’m just glad they’re working together…that’ll take them far.”

“Yeah, I suppose it will.”

“You can’t go it alone, Nick…everybody needs somebody.”

What a true statement it was…so who was Nick’s somebody? As nice as these kids were, who was he supposed to lean on when the water was too scarey?