- Text Size +

“So, now it’s your turn.”

They had been walking and talking and tormenting innocent crabs with their flashlight for at least an hour, neither having any desire to head back inside. They were the only two anywhere near the beach now and the peace and quiet was too irresistible.

“Oh god…you going to pick my brain now?”

“Yep. What brought you here?”

“A lot of different things, I guess. Mostly a desire to help kids like me.”

“You said you moved a lot…”

“Yeah, was in Puerto Rico until I was 8, then all over Florida. Miami, Orlando, Naples. Finally we stayed in Tampa. Mami…she…well, she liked to run from life rather than live it.”

“It’s an easy way out.”

“Yes, until life keeps catching up with you because you’re too stupid to stop making the same mistakes. I knew what it felt like to be lost and confused, even among friends.”

“Did you rebel at all like these kids do?”

“Yeah, and then I paid the price.”

“Rosalie.”

“Yep. And I refuse to make her pay it for me. As much of a glitch she put in my plans, my life wouldn’t be right without her in it. So, for her, I straightened up. Now, I do it for me because it feels better.”

“So having responsibility for someone else made you wanna be responsible for yourself, huh?”

“Yep, so I’m not so sure your concerns with the Casey’s are big ones. Check your motives. You can walk away from them in a few more months if you want. I’m stuck with Rosalie forever, so that’s different, but…if they are making you look at your life and make new choices, that’s really a good thing.”

“And I have to get to work again…this next week. So, I guess I can test it all out then. I won’t be able to be with them so much.”

“Yep, and they can test themselves too. Are they being good for you or they seeing that good is…”

“Good.”

“Right.”

“What do you think will happen?” They were back at the stairs of their condo again, but neither wanted to take the first step. Nick leaned back against the rail, still hanging onto her hand, fighting urges within himself so he didn’t ruin this perfect night.

“I think you’re all on the right road, but something tells me, the road bumps aren’t all smoothed out yet.”

“Yeah, that’s another thing I’m afraid of…those damned bumps.”

“Don’t be afraid of them, Nick…just take that big assed truck of yours and drive over them. The dust will settle eventually.”

“Yeah…but what kind of a mess will be left after it does?”

******~~~~~~******~~~~~~

“Stick a foot out there.” Solana wiggled her toes under the spray of water, letting Nick wash the sand from her feet. “Next.” She grabbed onto his arm, losing balance this time, almost falling onto the wet cement.

“Damn…and I haven’t been drinking.”

“Drunk on the ocean…”

“Must be it…okay, let me get yours.” She took the hose from him and washed his feet, resisting the urge to aim the spray upwards. It was too cold for a water fight, but damn, it’d be fun.

He turned off the water and picked up the blanket and then…stood there. Neither moved. Neither wanted this evening to end, but they knew, once they walked back inside that condo, it would.

Seeing goose bumps appear on her arms, he offered her the blanket. “Cold?”

Shaking her head to his offer, she turned her gaze back out to the water. Only the white crests could be seen as waves rolled in, bringing in the high tide. “When the hell is it cold in July down here?”

“I dunno…it’s a nice change though.”

They continued to stand, watching the waves roll in and Solana continued to chill. Not asking this time, Nick draped the blanket over her bare shoulders and pulled her in close under his arm. “You’re stubborn.”

“Yes, I am…you’re warm.”

They both saw the next moment coming. They both wanted it to happen. They both were tired of listening to the voices in their heads telling them to stop. She looked up to him, watching the breeze blow his hair, wondering how soft his lips would feel on hers and without thinking, made a move to him.

He felt her shift and looked down. Seeing the look in her eye, he smiled and brought his hand up to cup her face. He lowered his head to meet hers, to finally culminate what he’d been longing for since he first set eyes on her. And then….

…reason hit again.

Solana pulled back, sliding out from his arm and the blanket. “Dammit. No. We can’t do this.”

Sighing, knowing she was right, not giving a damn about right and wrong, he pulled her back, face to face, eye to eye.

“Nick, please…you know this is wrong.”

“Why is it wrong, Lani? Because of Ben? Rosalie?”

“Yes…both.”

He knew this. He really did, but it wasn’t fair. It just was not fair. Pulling away from her, not trusting himself, he plopped down on a bench looking nothing short of a pouting little boy. “Ethics suck.”

Chuckling at his change in demeanor, she joined him on the bench, and leaned over onto his arm. “Yes, they do. You understand, don’t you?”

“About Ben…yeah. I do. He’s your client.”

“Yep. You’re not, but it’s still…questionable. Honestly, you probably shouldn’t even be here, but I asked you as friends, not as clients.”

“But beyond that…we’re crossing a line.”

“Yep. One I can’t risk, Nick.”

“No, probably not. I’m sorry, Lani…I really am.”

“Don’t be. Our timing just sucks.”

“Yeah, no kidding.” He leaned back, wrapping his arm around her, sighing as she nestled into his chest. “It’s damned ironic when you think about it.”

“How’s that?”

“I finally take the time to get to know a girl…build a relationship and I can’t…we can’t…”

“Yeah, I know. We’re doing it right and it’s still wrong.”

“Exactly.” Silence again. Nice silence this time. Except… “What does Rosalie have to do with this?”

“She comes with the package, Nick. I’m not sure you’re ready for that.”

“I adore her!”

“Yep, and it’s mutual. But, say we don’t make it…because there’s no guarantee we would. You leave. She’s now dealing with a man she loves walking out. I can’t have that.”

“So you’re just going to stay away from men forever? Lani, that’s nuts.”

“No, but…I dunno. It’s too soon, Nick. For me…I’m still hurting from that fuck head walking out on me, and…I don’t want her to know what it feels like to have a man leave...not as a child anyway. She’ll feel it soon enough.”

“We’re not all that fuck head, you know.”

“No, but you’ve said it yourself. You don’t know how to have a relationship.”

“I want to learn.”

“Not with my daughter watching in the wings. I can’t do it, Nick. Not yet. Not now. And believe me, you’re not the only one who’s sorry about it.”

“Well, I guess this is gonna have to be enough for now.”

“Yep, it is. And Nick, please don’t pull away from us. Rosalie adores you and I love having you in our lives. It just can’t…”

“Be anything more right now.”

“No, it can’t.” Kissing his chest and rubbing his tummy as she stood, she reached her hand out to him, pulling him up. “Come on. I think my toes are frozen. We need to go in.”

“Yep…hope they didn’t blow up the condo.”

“I just hope Rosalie’s asleep or she’s going to be a little bitch all day tomorrow.”

“You think she convinced them to bring in Sebastian?”

“He’ll be in your sink. Watch out when you spit.”

“Maybe I could ‘kill’ him that way.”

“Oooh, yeah! Death by fluoride.”

Approaching he porch of the condo, Nick stopped her before she could go in. “Lani?”

“Yes?”

He still wanted to kiss her. Knowing she wanted it too was making her even more desirable, if that was possible. But for the first time in his life, he wanted to respect a woman…this one in particular. And so, he would. “It’s my turn to thank you.”

“For?”

“Helping me be good.”

She winked at him and slid the door open, chilling again as the air conditioning hit her bare arms. “It’s inside of you, Nick. You don’t need anybody’s help.”