- Text Size +

Nick pulled the truck up to the Casey’s curb, surprised at how much he’d missed this dilapidated old place in the past few weeks. Of course, it wasn’t the place as much as the people. But it hadn’t been a particularly fun few weeks, filled with meetings, discussions and impasses on the future of a group he’d known as his extended family for the past 10 years. It hurt and he was sick of it.

Today, however, he was spending time with a new extension of his family and making good on his promise to Liz. A quick ride on his boat and then as much swimming as her little body could muster. Ben and Jack were coming along as well, but in Nick’s mind, the day belonged to Liz.

He reached back into his backseat to find his ball cap, still not interested in a neighborhood meet and greet, and plopped it on his head, catching movement out of the corner of his eye. Focusing in to the tree in the neighbor’s yard, he almost choked.

Under the huge palm tree stood Ben. He didn’t have on his typical ball cap today, but a blue and white patterned do-rag, just like Nick occasionally wore. To finish the scene, stood someone Nick had never seen before.

A girl.

Ben, on the other hand, had obviously seen her before. She was showing all the signs of flirtatious female behavior. Coy shyness, looking in his eyes as she pushed her hair behind her ear, letting her finger trail down her neck as it slid off her blonde locks, tossing her head back as she laughed, oh yeah. This adolescent was a damned pro.

Nick decided to just sit back and watch the man work. Maybe he’d learn something. The girl definitely knew what she was doing and what she wanted. Time to see if little big man’s game was as smooth as his talk.

So far, it was going well. Nick picked up his pop from the cup holder and sucked in a big gulp as he watched Ben take over the task of pushing the girl’s hair back behind her ear. Damn, he was smooth. Girls dig that shit. Sitting up, Nick leaned closer to his dash and watched Ben move in for the kill.

As Ben’s hand slid down the girl’s long blonde hair, he stopped at her neck, cupped her face and leaned in for a kiss. It looked like he whispered something to her on his way, something that made her smile and lean in too. Then…

“Hey Nick! Whatcha doin’ sittin’ in your truck!?”

Damn. Nick’s head jerked up, Ben’s smooth move was cut short and before anyone could react, the sweet little blonde girl was dashing off across the street.

Now it was Nick’s turn to be smooth. “Liz…hey, sweetie.” He tightened his hat on his head and got out of the truck, trying to figure out what he’d tell Ben. This was not going to go over well.

“Why were you just sitting there?”

“Oh, I was just thinking about how much fun we’re gonna have today. You ready?”

“Yep. Miss Romero took Mom out to buy me a suit while you were gone. It’s got purple flowers on it.”

“Sounds very pretty.” Nick looked up, wondering where Ben was and if he was even aware that Nick had messed up his game. But Ben was nowhere to be seen. “Hey, where’d your brother run off to?”

She never took her eyes off of Nick as she shrugged her answer. As angry as she had been at him for spending more time with the boys than her, she couldn’t stay mad long. He was Nick for goodness sake and well, she had a little 6 yr. old crush going on. And today, he was all hers. Who cared about a stupid brother?

“Dunno, huh? Well, I think I might have upset him. Lemme go look for him while you get your stuff.”

“Okay!” And off she went, straw hair sashaying back and forth as she ran. Oh to be that carefree.

As the screen door slammed behind Liz, Nick found his missing man.

“Thanks for fuckin’ it up, man. Thanks a lot.”

“Ben, man. I am so sorry. You were doin’ good, too.”

“So is this your new hobby? Watching other people makin’ out since you can’t seem to get any? That’s just sick, dude.”

“No…god. I was just…Christ. I’m sorry. It just shocked me and you were…damn, you had it down. I couldn’t help it.” How could he explain that it wasn’t voyeurism as much as it was just…what the hell was it? Pride? Little boy was growing up? How cheesy.

“Well, thanks to you, God knows how long it’ll take ‘til I get to that point again.”

“What!? She’s into you, Ben…”

“But her dad’s not. I’m a bad influence you know.”

“Oh for Christ’s sake. What is it with dads and their daughters?”

“Huh? This is normal?”

“Who knows. Raise ‘em to think for themselves, but as soon as picking a guy comes into play, suddenly they’re too stupid to know what’s right.”

“Speaking from experience, I take it? Can’t imagine a dad would hate you.” Ben adjusted the bandana on his head and leaned up against Nick’s truck. Nick felt like he was having flashback of his own childhood, those blue eyes and that freckled face staring at him like a weird home movie or something.

“Oh yeah…they hate me. I’m only looking for sex, or a trophy, or I’m a druggie, or, or, or.” Nick pulled off his hat and wiped his brow with the back of his hand. Florida in July. Yuck. “Oh yeah. They come up with all sorts of reasons why I’m not good enough for their little girl.”

“Sucks. What are we supposed to do?”

“Daddies win. There’s nothing you can do. But, sometimes the daughters don’t give a damn what Daddy says. The best though, is when you can win him over.”

“You ever done that before?”

“Nope. I quit trying after one attempt. Found out she wasn’t all Daddy thought she was.”

“Ah…a true princess.”

“Bitch is more like it, but yeah…that’ll work.” Nick had tired of the conversation and bopped Ben on the head with his hat. “You ready to go?”

“Yeah, lemme get my…”

“Psst. Ben…come ‘ere.”

The boys looked up to the whispered female voice. There she was…testing daddy’s rules and turf. A fun trait in a girl.

“Go get her, Ben. I’ll wait inside this time.”

“Thanks, man…I’ll be back in a minute.”

Nick jogged up to the house and did as promised. Waited inside. By the window. Watching Ben’s every smooth move.

And he smiled, as the young boy’s lips finally met those of his girl in a sweet, innocent kiss. Feeling a tug at his shirt hem, Nick sighed, thinking again of Lani and how sweet she must taste. Try as he might in the weeks at work, he could not get her out of his head. Not that he tried all that hard.

Blinking out of his reverie, he stepped back and let the curtain fall back to its rightful place, focusing in on his girl for the day. Liz.

“I’m ready, Nick…let’s go swimmin’!”

******~~~~~~******~~~~~~

“Throw me again!”

“Liz…my arms are killin’ me!”

“So? Throw me again!”

She had been a much more eager student than Jack. After an hour, she was jumping off the side, being thrown all over the pool by Nick and Ben, and swimming the short length of the pool. Poor Jack still preferred to cling to the edge. At least he was in.

“Aren’t you tired?”

“Nope. I don’t get tired. Throw me again.” Before Nick could argue, not that he really was anyway, she was in his arms, feet perched on his thigh, bouncing as he counted off. “One…two…seven hundred forty three…”

“Nick…I can’t hold my breath if you do that.”

“Oh yeah…One…two…two and a half…”

“NICK!”

“She’s gonna bite you, dude…toss her.”

“I do NOT bi-“ Nick lifted her and threw her backwards, laughing at the look of utter shock on her face as she sucked in breath as fast as she could.

As soon as she splashed in, the three boys finished the count off. “Three.”

Busy in victory over the bossy 6 yr. old, Nick gasped when two arms wrapped tightly around his neck from behind. “I do NOT bite! That wasn’t nice.”

“Gak! Liz…too…tight…” He freed himself from the strangling attachment and quickly carted her to the edge of the pool.

“I don’t bite.” Now she was downright pouting. And such a lady about it. Her hands were folded in her lap, legs daintily kicking in the water. It was official. Women are evil…and they start young.

“SHE BITES! I have scars to prove it!” Jack hiked himself up on the opposite edge of the pool and twisted his arm around to find the offending marks.

“Okay! I bite you…because you’re mean to me.”

“You bite me if I beat you at Spider-man, Liz.”

“Alright, guys. Liz bites…when necessary.” Nick wondered if he and his sibs sounded this stupid. Most likely. A phone call to his mom to apologize may be in order. She had to be a saint not to have killed them long ago.

Crossing her arms in front of her, she stuck her tongue out to Ben who up until now had been silent. Which also meant he wasn’t defending her. “Right. When necessary. Which can be a lot.”

To complete the dramatic effect, Liz fell backwards on the concrete edge, throwing one arm over her eyes, feet still dangling in the water.

“Your life is horrid, isn’t it, Liz?”

“Yes…they hate me.”

Nick couldn’t hold in his laughter any longer. She was a first class drama queen. No wonder they adored her and spoiled her so much. It was irresistible. Leaving her to her pout, Nick ducked back in the water and popped up at Jack’s dangling feet, pulling him in. Ben joined in and the boys continued to wrestle, toss, splash and play.

Somehow in the midst of the noise, they heard an almost-forgotten female clearing her throat. And all movement ceased. Ah, the power of a female.

“Yes, Liz?”

“You’re ignoring me.”

“You were pouting. I thought you wanted to be ignored.” Worked for Leslie and Angel. Why didn’t girls come with rule books…a new one for each girl?

“I’m done now. But I’m still mad.”

Jack and Ben were not amused. Ben rolled his eyes and jumped on his brother’s head, dunking him underwater. Time for Nick to take charge. And he had a few charms of his own. He swam over to her, popping up at her feet and rested his chin on her lap, facing her.

“You look like a puppy dog.”

Cue taken. He panted.

Rolling her eyes, she “pet” Nick’s head and he turned human again. “Why are you still mad?”

“You threw me when I wasn’t ready.”

“You lived.”

Wrong answer. She crossed her arms again and looked away.

“Okay, I’m sorry, Liz. I was playing. How can I make it up to you?”

“The princess would like to sleep in the castle tonight.”

He raised his eyebrows and his head. She was a little imp. An adorable one. “Tonight?”

“Yup.”

“Uh…hang on.” Down into the water he went, leaving her with the satisfaction of a victory already won. Men were so easy.

Nick grabbed onto the larger set of legs and yanked, taking Ben under water with him. When they both resurfaced, Ben purposely flipped his hair close to Nick, spraying him further. “What the hell was that for?”

Spit. Blink. “I wanted your attention, Romeo. Princess Liz wants to spend the night…all of you. When does everyone have ball practice?”

“Mine’s at 10…hers is in the afternoon I think.”

“Jack?”

“Was Thursday…I’m cool.”

“I need my ball stuff though.”

“I’ll drop them off and take you to practice. You can get it then.”

“Yeah, okay…cool.” Enough conversation. Ben disappeared under the water and yanked Jack’s trunks off. Made Nick proud. Perfect big brother behavior.

To avoid getting killed in the repercussions of the move, Nick swam back over to Liz, putting his chin back on her lap. “Okay, it’s done. I’ll take you home before Ben’s practice tomorrow.”

“Okay, that’s a start.”

Standing up in the water and leaning into the little princess, he trapped her with one arm on either side of her. She didn’t mind at all. Easier to snare him that way. “A start!? What else do you want?”

“I wanna sleep in the King’s quarters.”

“Oh you do, do you? And where’s the King supposed to sleep?”

“With the princess, stupid.”

“Not if she calls him stupid, she’s not.”

“Sorry. In England it’s a Queen and Prince or a King and Princess…so…the King sleeps with the Princess.”

“Ah…hm…the King does have a big bed.”

“Yes, and the court sleeps in the servants quarters.”

With questioning eyes, Nick pointed to the two dorky brothers. “Them?”

“Yup. Oh. And the Princess wants pizza.”

“Demanding Princess.”

“The King shouldn’t have thrown her like that…or waited so long to bring her to his castle.”

How could he resist? Shaking his head, he kissed her forehead and gently slid her into the water with him. “Alright, Princess Liz. Your wish is my command.”

“Just how it should be….now be a motor boat.”