- Text Size +

“Just wait here; I’ll be right back.” Ben got out of the truck, smacking his brother upside the head for no apparent reason.

“Okay…” Seeing Liz run up to the house without so much as a ‘goodbye’, he called her back. “Hey, Princess Liz!”

“What?”

“You just a love ‘em and leave ‘em kind of girl?”

Of course not. She dumped her bag on the side walk and ran back to her King. Or was it knight-in-shining-armor? Either way, she felt like a princess whenever he was around, especially cuddled up next to him in that big old bed of his…and when he let her bathe in the sunken tub with extra bubbles, even if the bubbles were left over from an old girlfriend. It was forgivable because, well…he had to be royalty of some kind, didn’t he?

“I’m not leaving you, my King.”

“Looks like it…come here.” He scooped her up and buzzed her neck, causing ear piercing screams and giggles. “Now, kiss your King and go be good for Mom, huh?”

“Yes sir…” She did as asked and bounded back to the house, skipping the wobbly first step along the way.

“Okay, let’s go.” Ben tossed his duffle bag in the back seat and closed the door. “What?” Nick was just looking at him funny.

“Why didn’t you want me inside?”

“Oh…that…start the truck.” He couldn’t hide anything from this guy. How irritating.

“You talk, I drive…if you quit, so do I.”

“Fine, fine…” Heaving a sigh, he quieted for a few and then just blurt it out. “The house is a mess again, okay?”

“Oh. I’m sorry. That sure didn’t last long, did it?”

“No. I didn’t think it would. Guess you’re not the savior you thought you’d be.”

“I never said…what the hell, Ben?”

“Did you really think you could just waltz in, fix everything and we’d all be set in a happy little life? You can’t do that to people!”

“Ben…Jesus…tell me how this is my fault!”

Silence. It wasn’t Nick’s fault, but he had to blame somebody, didn’t he? They were never going to get out of this pit. Never. And all it did was make Ben angry. And full of those fight or flight feelings he thought he had a grip on. Fortunately, he had an appointment with his counselor Monday. She’d help him…he hoped. He didn’t like being this angry anymore. It felt…tiring.

Ben leaned back and closed his eyes. He also didn’t like admitting he was wrong. But, he needed to. “You’re right…not your fault. You just gave Mom a glimpse of hope and…it’s her fault she shut it out.”

“Well that just sucks. But you’re right…one conversation isn’t gonna change years of bad habits. And I never said it would.”

“I guess not. Maybe you should take her to your castle too…seems to have had an impact on everyone else.”

“My house has nothing to do with it.”

“No, but your time does.”

Nick pulled into a parking spot and turned off the car, looking at Ben, surprised to find him staring back. Eye to eye contact was still a rarity with the kid. “I’m glad to do it, Ben.”

“I know…I’m sorry I ever doubted you, you putz.”

“Eh, you had good enough reas-“

“Hey! Asshole! Where’d you get such a tight ride, man?”

Ben and Nick jerked to the banging on Ben’s window, both slightly irritated at seeing Steve instead of…well, seeing anyone. Bad timing. Nick pushed the button to roll down Ben’s window, not particularly wanting to deal with broken glass. Idiot.

Peeking around his friend, Steve got his answer. “Oh, it’s him. I shoulda known.”

“Hey, Steve…what diamond are we on?” Ben pulled a leg up to the seat and tightened his cleats, really wishing he hadn’t ended up on Steve’s team. Here he was trying to get it together and it seemed like Steve’s mission was to help him unravel everything again. Pissed him off.

“Six.” Steve never took his eyes off Nick…nor Nick off of Steve. The younger just did not like the older and the older didn’t trust the younger. Nick felt a sense of protectiveness toward Ben he hadn’t felt toward anyone before. Felt kind of nice. “What are you looking at, old man?”

“Someone who’d better keep his hands off my truck. Ask Ben what happens when you mess with it.”

“Oooh…such an angry voice for a rich man.”

“Shut the fuck up, Steve…Christ, what is your problem?” Ben pushed Steve away from the truck with the door and got out, grabbing his duffle and dramatically slinging it onto his shoulder. Maybe he’d accidentally smack him in the head.

“Nothin’, nothin’, just playin’. Chill out, dude. Damn, you’re uptight lately.”

Ignoring his ‘friend’, Ben looked back to the truck to his…friend. A real one. “You gonna come watch?”

“I think I’m gonna go, Ben…you can walk home?”

“Yeah, I’m good. Thanks for bringing me!”

“Yep…play good. I’ll see you in a few days.”

Nick rolled up his window and finally breathed again. That kid was no good. None whatsoever. And there wasn’t a damned thing he could do about it either.

******~~~~~~******~~~~~~

“Rosalie! Come on, Nick’s here!”

“Vengo, Mami! Un momento.”

“She’s way too excited about this. You’d think we were going to a Yankees game or something.”

“Ben will like that…he’s a nervous wreck, I guess.”

“Do you know what position he’s playing?”

“NO! He won’t tell me, the little putz. All I know is if that Steven kid says one more thing to me, I’m gonna pop him.”

“Oh, that’ll go over well, Nick. ROSALIE!”

“Okay, okay…” Finally they heard her running down the hall. “How do I look?” She swirled around letting her short skirt catch the breeze and blow up. She couldn’t have cared less.

“Oh, very nice…come here.” Solana squatted down to her daughter to twist her skirt the right direction. “Ben will be happy to see you.”

“Yes, I’m gonna cheer him on! Goooooo Ben!” Full toddler cheerleading regalia. In colors that matched Ben’s team no less. And pom pom’s. Somehow Nick knew those were going to be taken away before the evening was over. “Nick? You like?”

“Yes, Rosalie…you look beautiful.” He leaned into Solana and whispered, “There aren’t cheerleaders in baseball.”

“You tell her that, you die. Pick your arguments. Rule number 1 in parenting. Learn it now.”

“Mmm…I’ll keep it in mind. How’d you find one to match?”

“I didn’t. Mom went outlet shopping and brought it over. Pure luck.” Looking down at her dancing, cheering daughter, she had to laugh. So much joy. It was a shame some of it was lost as people matured and grew. Unnecessary, really. “Okay, pom pom girl, time to go.”

“Oh, before we go out there, I brought my friend Tony. Thought I might need some security with all the kids and stuff.”

“Okay, no problem…you sure you should be doing this?”

“Yes…I need to do this for Ben.”

******~~~~~~******~~~~~~

Solana buckled Rosalie’s seat in the back of Nick’s truck and shut the door. Looking over to her seat partner, Rosalie decided she wasn’t pleased and she scrunched up her nose to say as much. “I don’t know you.”

Tony wasn’t real familiar with little kids, but Nick had told him to just be himself. Now it was time to see if it worked. He reached a hand out to her and smiled. “I’m Tony, Nick’s friend.”

She looked at his hand and back up to his face. Nope. No touching yet. “Oh. I’m Rosalie. I’m Nick’s friend too.”

“So we have something in common.”

Shrugging her shoulders, not liking his large mouth, she looked towards the front, happy to see her mom with Nick again. She had missed him. “I guess. I cheer for Ben. You?”

“Yup…you point him out to me, okay?”

“Okay. He’s my friend too.”

And that was that. Tony lived, Nick was with Solana again, Ben was going to have a real cheering section. Yep, all was right with the world.

When they got to the ball diamond, Rosalie was out of her seat and the truck before anyone else had moved.

“Woah, little doggie. You stop right there…parking lot, young lady.” Solana slid out of the truck and grabbed her arm. “Excited is good…stupid is not.”

“Sorry, Mami.” She pushed a pom pom in her mom’s face and giggled when Solana pulled it down and stuck out her tongue. “You silly.”

“You crazy…let’s go find Ben.”

Nick scooped up Suzy Rah Rah and put her on his shoulders, tightening his baseball cap lower on his face. He was torn. He wanted to be seen with this family…in an odd way, they were his family now, and he was quite proud of that fact. But at the same time, the gossip would be flying. He wasn’t in the mood. Wouldn’t help record sales, wouldn’t please his mother, his record company, or his management. As much as he didn’t give a shit, he did. But he also gave a shit about these people. So today…image be damned. He was going to a ball game with friends. End of story. Let the chips fall where they may.

“Yay, Nicky! You tall!!!”

“Now you are too…Ben’s wearing red…do you see his team?”

“Yep…over there, Nicky. Big boys in red over there!”

Tony kept his distance, yet was right nearby. Solana was surprised at the fluid system they had set up. Within no time, Nick was noticed and she could see the mood shift, especially in the young girls. But, with one look from Tony, they backed up. Didn’t approach. Whispered plenty, but no one came near. No one was offended and Nick was allowed to walk through the community scene without one ounce of celebrity…sorta. It was surreal.

They took their seats at the top of the bleachers, Tony staying a few feet away to keep an eye on things. Ben caught Nick’s eye and lit up like a Christmas tree. And where was he warming up? The pitcher’s mound. The kid was the starting pitcher. Amazing. Nick got a glimmer in his eye and a flutter in his heart he was sure was only reserved for proud dads. But dammit, he was proud.

Solana was too busy watching Tony work, watch the young girls form a small gaggle behind Nick on the stands. It was disconcerting. Leaning into his arm and softening as he wrapped it around her pulling her in, she finally asked what had been going through her head the entire walk in.

“Is this normal for you?”

“Is what normal?”

“The whispering…the stares. It’s annoying.”

“I don’t pay it much attention or I’d go nuts. That’s why Tony’s here.”

“You’re lucky to have a friend like him.”

“Yeah, I know. He’d do anything to protect me. Kind of amazing b/c he’s not really paid security.”

“I wonder why you’ve not needed it with Ben before.”

“People don’t expect to see me. But now, well…with you and Rosalie it ups the anty on gossip and stuff…”

“I’m sorry, Nick…” She tried to pull away and he held on tighter.

“No, no…you’re not goin’ anywhere. We’re friends. They can deal.”

She liked that. Friends with a special twist, but it felt good. Felt good to be cared for, although these staring eyes were frustrating. “So, Tony’s here so they don’t get any wise ideas and so Ben can have a game without a spectacle?”

“Yep. Normal is what Ben needs…not spectacle.”

“Welllll, if it isn’t Ben’s surrogate Daddy. And you brought the family, how sweet.”

No words, just presence. Tony casually moved in between Nick and Steve, ruffling Rosalie’s hair as she made up a goofy Spanglish cheer. But, somehow Steve knew this dude meant business and amazingly, he shut up.

“I’m gonna kill that kid.”

“No, that’s my job. You’re here for Ben. The rest is mine. Watch the game.”

So he did. He pulled Solana in tighter, one eye on Rosalie and one on Ben. It wasn’t what he knew as family, but yeah…this would do. Lots of love, lots of support and just enough tension to keep everyone on their toes.

******~~~~~~******~~~~~~

And so the summer went. Ball games for all ages, swimming, boat rides, afternoons on Solana’s porch, evenings on Nick’s deck watching the sun set. Family. A new variety, but it worked and they all loved it.

For the Casey kids, they loved it because it was an escape from their reality. But one where they could learn to love and respect each other and hopefully, themselves. Ben was hanging with Steve, much to Nick’s chagrin, but he never seemed to lose focus. Erin, his sweetie, probably helped. He was even pitching in to help Patty keep the house up, and Jack…the little chef. He was helping with meals. They were learning what real family was about. Even if it was a mess.

For Solana, it was a chance to see people grow and change and mature. A huge reason why she got into this field. And she did a little maturing herself by letting others care for her daughter. By letting her daughter decide who she trusted and who she didn’t. Rosalie was a smart little girl. Heck, she was even teaching Nick some Spanish. Solana was also softening enough to let others care for her. Namely Nick. It was a friendship she had never imagined. One she never wanted to be without.

For Nick…it was a combination of everything. He learned to love and respect someone other than his family. And to trust. It was all about trust. Trust of his own ability to make decisions, to choose for himself, to lean on his instincts, to feel something again. And to trust others enough to let them into his heart…and own a piece of it.

The time was coming for everyone to test their new skills. School was only weeks away. Nick was about to break out as a solo artist and make it on his own. It was time to separate, yet never leave one another. A time for little men to be big. Responsible, reliable and full of integrity. And a time for big men to remember to be little…child-like, trusting and full of wonder.

It could be done. It had to be done.