- Text Size +

“Your shampoo smells yummy.”

Solana came back into the living room and plopped down next to Nick as he tried to match CD’s up with their cases, tossing broken ones in the trash and replacing them with some extras he had in his office. “Huh? My shampoo?”

“Ben’s hair…coconutty. He’s asleep already.”

“Ah…I just buy the cheap stuff. You think he’s okay?” Tossing another couple of broken CD’s into the trash, he whined. He deserved to. “God dammit, they cracked a ton of CD’s. Little shits.”

“I’m sorry…this just sucks.”

“Yeah, it does…so, do you think Ben’s okay?” As bad as the material loss was, he was still more concerned with Ben. Things can be replaced. People can’t.

“Yeah, he’ll be fine. He wants me to go to see Mrs. McKenna with him tomorrow.”

“You goin’?”

“I think so…we need to arrange for Patty to go too. She could use some counseling herself.” Looking down at her clothes, she sighed. “Can I borrow a shirt or something to sleep in?”

“Yeah, sure…you know, um…you don’t have to stay. I think we’ll be okay.”

“It’s up to you. I just don’t have a car here, remember?”

“Oh yeah…crap. Well…do you mind?”

“Nope. I said I would and truth is, I wouldn’t be surprised if he had a few nightmares tonight. I’ll stay. I just need to get out of these clothes.”

She was lucky he was so tired. So was he. Not fair. But, truth was, this was completely a call on friendship and nothing else…nothing else had crossed their minds.

“Okay, let’s go dig through my crap and see what we can find. I’ve got enough t-shirts to dress an army anyway.”

As Nick flipped the light on in his room, he heaved an exhausted sigh. Yeah, his bed was somewhat normal again and his curtains were just a pile by the window rather than strewn all over, but…it just felt…wrong. Messed with. He didn’t like it. He’d put the drawers back in their dressers, but god only knew what was really in them…had to go through that mess too. Opening one up, he hit a jackpot and found an old shirt. “Here…this should be good. It’s huge on me even.”

“K…and uh…something for tomorrow? I can just wear the same shorts.”

“Oh, yeah…you gonna have time to get home before you see Mrs. McKenna?”

“Nope. We need to get Ben to Steve and Ron’s in the morning, don’t you think?”

He silently nodded, too tired to talk, too tired to care, too…tired. Pulling out another, nicer t-shirt, he tossed it to her, smiling weakly at her attempts at keeping the mood light. He appreciated it, but didn’t have the energy.

“Nick, it’s gonna be okay.”

“Yeah, I know. I’m just…blah.”

“Makes sense. So, besides cleaning it up, how are you going to make Ben pay? There’s a lot of damage here.”

“I’m still deciding on that. I mean, trimming bushes worked, but this is huge compared.” He plopped down on the edge of his bed looking much like a boy who’d lost the little league championship. Totally defeated.

“Sure is. What about Steve and Ron?”

“Fuck ‘em. I really don’t want them back here. I mean, I know they need to clean this shit up. They can do my tub and the living room, kitchen…maybe the other bedrooms. They’re not going near my office and studio again.” He threw himself backwards on the bed and sighed. “My stomach hurts every time I think about it.”

“I’m so sorry, Nick. This isn’t fair.” She walked in and sat down on the bed next to him, wanting nothing more than to fold him in her arms and make it go away. Betrayal sucked.

“Nope, but no one said life was fair. At least…shit, I’m angry as hell at Ben, but…somehow it makes a little sense anyway.”

“Yeah, for him. Those other two though. They need intervention, but I don’t know how to get it to them. Seems like they need a mentor too.”

“Oh let me…we’d be the perfect match.” He hiked himself up on one elbow and started playing with the weave of his blanket. “You know, I love Ben…all of his family, but Steve or Ron? They’re just punks. No excuse.”

“Ben didn’t have one either, Nick. Not a good one.”

“No, but…” He looked up to her hoping she’d understand. “He stopped himself. Just like me. I guess I’d hope someone cut me some slack when I stop myself before I do something totally stupid. Look at my heart first instead, you know?”

She had to smile at him. At his heart. It was a good heart. “You really do love him, don’t you?”

“Yeah, I do…he’s a good kid, Lani. In spite of his whacked out mother.”

“You’ve done good, Nick…”

“Pppfffttt. I’m not so sure.”

“I’m not going sit here and argue with you.” Leaning in to kiss his forehead, she stood and walked to the door. Too much temptation was swimming around here. “Hopefully we’ll work his ass off cleaning this up, paying you back, that he’ll find another way to express his anger. Appreciate things more or something.”

“It’d help if he had something of his own to appreciate. Something to be passionate about. Like baseball.”

She tossed the t-shirts over her shoulder and looked back, “Maybe that’s our answer. Make him take ownership of something.”

*****~~~~~~******~~~~~~

Solana woke to the suns rays shining in her room, momentarily forgetting where she was. And then chuckling at the irony of it. Months ago she’d hated Nick, at the same time was sickeningly attracted to him. Now, they’d shared words of mutual admiration and attraction and where did she spend her first night at his home? Same place he did at hers the night before. Alone in the guest room down the hall. Life was queer sometimes.

She was a bit surprised she hadn’t heard from Ben all night, figuring he’d be milling about at least. Hopefully, he slept as well as she had…hopefully Nick had too. He looked like hell by the time they’d turned in. She had a nice stack of CD’s to add to her collection though…Nick saw how many he had that he’d never listen to and let her take whatever she wanted. Who’d argue with that!? But after they’d cleaned up his entire collection, he was beat. Emotionally drained. A good night’s sleep had to help.

She made her way across the hall to Ben’s room and peeked in, surprised, if not a big panicked when she didn’t see him there. He wouldn’t have bolted, would he? A bike ride over here was hard enough to believe, but disappearing on foot? After midnight? No…

Into the living room, kitchen, office, studio, and finally deck…no Ben. Where the hell?

Finally, she poured a cup of coffee, grateful the punks hadn’t messed with that form of sustenance and that she’d remembered to have Nick set it before bed. Knowing it was too early, she headed back to Nick’s room anyway. This was just not good. Although, the coffee was.

She gently knocked on his door in case he was awake and indecent. Hearing nothing, she peeked in…and smiled.

Mystery solved.

Back to back, butt to butt, the two boys laid in total mirror images of one another. If she only knew where Nick’s camera was. They even had their hands curled under their faces identically. Sick, just sick.

She tried to sneak back out, but Nick stirred and saw her out of the corner of his eye. “Lani?”

“Yeah…go back to sleep. I just lost Ben.”

“Ah, yeah…” He sat up anyway, running his hand forward through his hair. “He showed up sometime…sweatin’ and cryin’.”

“Aw, I was afraid of that. Why didn’t you come get me?”

“He seemed to want me.” Looking down at the sleeping blonde, Nick had to smile too. Putz. “He fell back to sleep pretty quick.”

“I’m glad.” Taking a sip of the coffee, she remembered she had originally poured it for him. Oops. “Oh yeah, your coffee’s good…full pot out there.”

“Okay, I’ll be out in a minute. When do you wanna go?”

Squinting to read his clock, she debated on ‘now’…waking up the brats might be kind of fun. “Couple hours I guess. No rush.”

He watched as she walked out the door and fell back on his pillow. Dammit. His t-shirt had never looked so good.

******~~~~~~******~~~~~~

“Well aren’t you the little Mom and Dad this morning?”

Nick lowered the newspaper and looked over at “Mom” chuckling…they probably did look like an old boring married couple. Bed head, grungy night clothes, groggy eyes, coffee steaming and the newspaper strewn all over.

“Well, Pa…I think I’m gonna go hop in the shower.” She winked seductively. “Wanna join me?”

“MA! Not in front of the youngun now…” He bopped her on the head with his paper and then her butt as she got up. “We’ll do that once he’s in school again.”

“I gotta wait ‘til then!?”

“Yeah and after you brush…anchovy breath!”

“You got something for me to brush with, Pa?”

“Under the sink…extras.”

Solana stuck out her tongue at the boys as they watched her leave, having their own set of thoughts on the woman. Totally different thoughts, of course, but both bringing smiles to their faces.

“I’m hungry.” Ben stepped over a pile of broken plates into the kitchen, making sure his effort was noticed with a loud groan. They weren’t going to make this easy on him, were they? “You got any cereal in….” As Ben opened the cabinet where the cereal was normally stored, he got his answer. All over the counter and floor. A waterfall of cornflakes, Fruit Loops and Rice Krispies. How in the world…?”

“What the hell!?” Nick stood up and watched as the last flakes of cereal dripped out and looked up to Ben who could do nothing but stand frozen in position, hands up, feet spread and jaw dropped. If it wasn’t so irritating, it’d be damned funny. And the truth was, it was damned funny. “I wondered why that was the only cabinet still closed.”

“Now you know, genius.” But, he too had to smile, giggle and finally bend over laughing. There was nothing else to do.

Solana had just started brushing her teeth when she heard the commotion, and still brushing, went back in to investigate. She found her two boys holding each other up laughing, making valiant, yet futile attempts to put the mess in the trash. Between the laughter, the general slipperiness of the cereal and the huge quantity of it, it was not working.

“What the hell happened?”

“I have no idea how they did this, but every damned box of cereal I’ve ever owned was dumped into my cabinet. Did I always have this much shit?”

“No, I just thought you were full of shit.”

And at that, all the tension from the last day was released. Nick took the double handful of cereal a bit tighter in his hands, smiled sweetly at his little man and tossed. Toss returned. And as Solana shook her head and went back into the bathroom to shower, she listened and giggled at the full fledged cereal fight. At this rate, it was going to take them the next 6 months to clean the kitchen. To hell with the rest of the house.

Finally tiring out in a fit of giggles, crumbs, sugar and loops, they slowed and stopped, sitting back on the floor, giggling again as their butts crunched into the tile.

“Oh God…this is bad.”

Nick tossed one final flake at Ben’s head and stood up, grimacing as his bare feet crunched beneath him. “Yep…you guys are gonna have a helluva time figuring out how to clean up this mess.”

With a wink and a smile, he brushed himself off, picked up his newspaper and disappeared down the hall hoping to find some clothes among the piles left all over his bedroom floor.

Ben watched him leave, hoping for another wink to indicate he was somewhat kidding, and when it didn’t come, he slammed his hand into the pile of broken flakes to his side, smashing and spreading them further. “God DAMMIT! How could I be so STUPID!”

******~~~~~~******~~~~~~

“You didn’t change your password yet, goof.”

“Yeah, I know. Come on in. Haven’t you worked long enough today?”

The meetings with Steve and Ron’s parents had been interesting at best and Patty was shockingly compliant to Solana’s suggestion of family counseling. At least for mother and son. But, Lani and Nick hadn’t had a chance to talk about it or decide the specifics of what was going to happen. So, while she was still going, Solana decided to stop by Nick’s to hash it all out. This time, no over night, no cute t-shirts and no morning after. Dammit.

“Yeah, it’s been a long one…I just can’t deal with this ‘til after work tomorrow. Too much other shit to do.”

“I’m sorry…we can wait ‘til things slow down.”

“They won’t until…next summer. I’m on full force with school starting soon.”

“Ah yeah. Want a beer?”

“Yes! You bought more?”

“Yeah, went out while you were with Mrs. McKenna. I kinda needed cereal.”

Hearing his feet crunch as he entered the kitchen, she had to giggle. He was going to be stubborn enough and only clean up what was absolutely necessary, making the boys do the rest. Not a bad plan, although she’d go crazy living in such a mess.

“Lime?” Nick jumped as she came up behind him, peeking over his shoulder as he pulled out the bottles. “Sorry…you have lime for these?”

“Yeah, bottom drawer…don’t do that to me, woman. Knives are…were…hell, I think they’re still in the drawer by the sink.”

“Yeah, I put ‘em back this morning.” She sliced the lime, shoving a piece in both bottles of Corona and winked as they clinked necks before taking a drink. “Ah…I needed that all day.”

“Me too…I don’t want another day like this for a long time.”

“No. Although nothing surprised me.” Looking out to the deck and realizing it was the only place that looked normal, she caught his eye and he followed. Yes. Outside. Fresh air and the calming effects of the water. Perfect.

Settling into their seats at the table, she nudged his arm. “You okay?”

“Tired…not looking forward to spending my day with those little shits tomorrow. If Steve keeps that attitude he had today, I’m not sure how responsible I’m gonna be.”

“You’ll be fine. Say the word ‘cop’ to him and he’ll shut up. He knows his dad would kill him.”

“If he’d come home from wherever the hell he is.”

“Yeah…well…that’s Steve’s life. His normal. We all adapt I guess.”

“I’d say Steve hasn’t adapted if he’s trashing schools and people’s homes.”

“Quite true. So, did you go through and figure out how much damage there is…money-wise?”

“Yeah. I’m totally guessing, but it’s not good. I’d say about $10,000.”

“Jesus. There’s something to be said for vandalizing in a cheaper neighborhood.”

“Probably not as fun though. My drum set’s the worst. That’s probably half of it. I can get away with replacing parts for cheaper, but…I’m picky. It’ll never be right.”

“You replace it however you feel the need, but Nick…they’ll never be able to pay you back. If you don’t go through insurance, this is totally out of your pocket.”

“Yeah, I know…I had an idea for Ben. It’ll never amount to ten grand, but…it’ll get him working and I can save money in another place.”

“What’s that?”

“He can keep my yard up. My dude’s been pissin’ me off anyway, showing up at like 6 am, doing a half assed job. I’m just too lazy to can him cuz I don’t wanna look for someone else.”

“Hmm…that’s a thought. You think he can handle the job?”

“Most of it, yeah. Plants have been here for a few years, so he won’t have to do actual landscaping…just keep the weeds under control…trim, edge, mow. I was doing it at his age…when I was home.”

“And it is a year round thing…”

“Yep, pretty much. I think my guy takes one month off in December or January. I won’t make him do it for a year though…just…long enough.”

“I think that’ll work. And I had an idea with Steve and Ron, but I wanted to pass it by you first.”

“Hit me.”

She punched him in the arm and leaned her head on it when all she got was a weak smile. He still seemed so defeated, deflated…downright dejected. “It’s gonna work out, Nick.”

“I know. It always does. Everything was coasting along just fine though…this was one part of my life I could count on, you know?”

“Yep. And I still think you can count on this. It’s just going to be different for a bit.”

“Mmm…so what about Tweedle Dumb and Tweedle Dumber?” He kissed the top of her head, glad for her friendship, her presence, her peace. Inside he was a jumbled mess. She balanced him out and he couldn’t be more grateful.

“We need help at the center. The school hasn’t really recognized them as in need of our services, b/c they tend to look at financial status rather than behavior.”

“That’s stupid.”

“Yes, but…that’s how it goes. So, they have to work at the center a few days a week. I’m trying to get this back-to-school shopping thing going for the kids and we need tons of hands for that. I can always use readers for the young ones, just…almost a mentorship from kid to kid you know?”

“How can we hold them accountable for it? What if they just don’t show?”

“C-O-P-S. Ben will back us, not them…I’m convinced after his session today. Six months. 2-3 times a week. Good attitudes, the whole nine. Doesn’t help you financially, but makes them responsible. Then, if I continue to see problems, I can intervene without the school.”

“If you want that headache…seems like more work for you and Barry.”

“Eh, we’re tough. We’ve talked about getting other kids from the community to come help anyway. I think this might be a good place to start.”

“Maybe seeing things from the other side will do them some good.”

“Did you good.”

Nick polished off his beer and leaned back, rubbing Solana’s back with one hand and holding the bottle up to blow air across it, making a deep, hollow pitch. Such talent. “Yeah, it did. The little twits.”

Solana blew across her bottle top, laughing as their pitches matched in perfect harmony. “Now I can’t drink anymore or we’ll clash.”

“Empty it, we’ll be unison.”

So she did and they both took a breath…

…and made beautiful music together.