- Text Size +

“Are you here to cheer for that loser team again?”

Nick turned around to the familiar voice and reached out a hand to help its owner step up onto the bleachers with him. “I didn’t expect to see you here today!”

“Yup. Jack and Liz helped me to start setting stuff up for next week, so I had the time.” Solana sat down next to him, waving at a few familiar mothers and kids who noticed her arrival.

“Good…they’re just getting ready to start. Ben’s a nervous wreck.”

“Aw, well…he probably never thought they’d get this far. Couldn’t his mom come?”

“I guess not. He’s not a good salesman. I’m not sure he wanted her here.”

“Everyone wants their mom for important stuff.”

“You’d think…I dunno. I don’t think she felt very welcome. Hey…where’s your side kick?”

“With Katy. Not in the mood to do ‘mommy’ today.”

“Maybe Patty wasn’t either.”

“She does have it in abundance, huh?”

Nick chuckled and turned his attention back to the game just in time to hear the ump yell, “Play ball!”

You couldn’t have planned for a better match-up for a tournament championship. Both teams had hitters. Both teams had fielders. Both teams had star pitchers. And Ben was on fire. He was pitching the best game he’d pitched all season.

Steve, however, was playing like he was still in t-ball. Missed fielding from the short stop position got him moved to right field. They needed his excellent hitting or he’d have been benched completely. Thing was, he couldn’t hit the broad side of a barn this morning. He was distracted. Upset. And crankier than a hornet. If he wasn’t such a jerk when he wasn’t cranky, it might be comical.

About half way through the game, Nick noticed Tony moving in closer before he noticed why. Girls were getting pretty good about leaving him alone here, so he’d almost considered not even bringing him. He’d soon be glad he changed his mind.

The two friends exchanged a glance. Tony asking ‘you want him’? Nick answering ‘I don’t care.’ No words, just understanding between friends. The man approaching looked innocent enough, if not a bit ridiculous.

He was sharply dressed, complete with used car salesman helmet hair, and a Saturday afternoon vodka swagger. He climbed up the risers and planted himself in front of Nick, turning around and offering a hand. “Mike Spencer, Steve’s dad. You’re Nick Carter?”

Nick took a breath and tried not to react, reaching his hand out and shaking. He silently thanked the gods for his career at the moment. He could baffle with bullshit like the best of ‘em. “Yeah, what can I do for you?” He eyeballed Tony letting him know to stay nearby.

“Aw, I’m not gonna hurt you. You can call off the bodyguard.”

Looking more firmly into Mr. Spencer’s eyes, Nick reiterated his question. “What can I do for you, Mr. Spencer?”

The older man pulled back a bit at the younger man’s confidence. He wasn’t accustomed to it…he could intimidate anyone. “Ah. Yes. Well, it’s about this ‘punishment’ you have planned for my son.” Idiot even used quote marks when he said ‘punishment’. What a piece of work.

“Mm-hmm.” Nick tried to look around the man’s hair-sprayed stiff coif to see if he was missing any of the game. And to show he was not interested in this conversation.

“Yeah, and uh…even if Steve actually did trash your little place, I think we can work out something a little less, uh…time consuming for him.”

Taking a deep breath, Nick focused on the man again, growing quickly impatient. “He admitted to it, Mr. Spencer. And no, I think working at the center is perfect. It’s easier than the alternative.”

“Which is?”

“Which would be putting it into the law’s hands. They let him walk without a mark after the school break-in. I don’t think they’d go that easy on him this time.”

“You can’t prove he did it.”

“His fingerprints are still all over my house, and we have a very credible witness.” How did proof change the acceptability of the matter anyway?

“If you think Ben would say anything against Steve, you don’t know the kid very well. He’s only looking out for his own ass.”

“No, sir. You don’t know Ben very well. And if you’ll excuse me, I came to watch a baseball game. You’re in my way.”

“I’m not finished with you.”

“I am…excuse me, please.” Nick’s eyes went over the man’s head and he purposely cheered a bit louder than he would, encouraging the team, ignoring the fool before him. Tony stepped in closer, but Nick shook him off, giving the man one last chance to be polite.

Mr. Spencer did turn around, but Nick had a feeling they weren’t finished. Seeing that Ben wasn’t going to be up to bat for a bit, he took Solana’s hand and squeezed. “Wanna go get some water?”

“Yeah…good idea.”

He never let go of her hand as they hopped off the bleachers and wordlessly made their way to the concessions. Finally, Nick broke the silence. “Well, now we know why Steve’s playing like shit today.”

“Yep…you okay?”

“Eh, whatever. It explains a lot. The guy’s slime.”

“You’re doing good though. Just keep your cool.”

“If he says one more thing about Ben, I’m not gonna be cool.”

“Yes, you are. You defend your boy with honor…you have no other choice.”

Honor. Yes. Ben deserved it, because even though he’d screwed up, he’d been nothing short of honorable through the entire thing. He admitted his failure…eventually…and was willing to pay the cost with no complaints. That was honor. Nick could only behave likewise.

When they returned, Nick sighed seeing Mr. Spencer still there with Tony close at hand. Fortunately, it was between innings.

Feeling the bleachers move behind him as Nick and Solana took their seat, Mr. Spencer turned back to them. “Okay, here’s the deal.”

“I don’t do deals.” Nick smiled to himself, remembering Ben’s exact same words to him when they were at the beach. Ben had decided a deal was okay after all. Nick had a feeling he wouldn’t be so quick change his mind.

“Just listen to me…we’re both men of wealth. We know money talks.”

Solana sat up at that comment, incensed at this man’s cajones. “But does it say anything important, Mr. Spencer?”

Nick tried not to flinch, clearing his throat to hide the chuckle at her comment. “I’m listening…”

“How much damage was done…monetarily speaking?”

“At least $10,000…monetarily speaking.”

“Okay, how ‘bout I just write you a check for that and we’ll call it even?”

“This has nothing to do with money, Mr. Spencer.”

“You’re using my kid for free help…saving the center money, right?”

Solana spoke up again, feeling the need to defend her territory. “No. You’ve misunderstood. I’m giving your son the benefit of the doubt that his criminal behavior comes from a lack of compassion and understanding for others. So, I’m providing him a place to learn that while paying his debt to Mr. Carter…and to Ben…not monetarily speaking.”

His eyes narrowed in a glare to Solana. Who was she anyway? And didn’t they see that Ben was the root of this whole problem? “Paying a debt to Ben!? He’s the one who let them in!”

“Ah, so you admit Steve was involved?” Nick’s eyebrows were as high on his forehead as they could go…this was entertaining.

“No, I…no. Not necessarily…I just.” He scratched his head, showing that the helmet head was indeed a helmet…in the form of a bad toupee. “I just don’t want him around those kids. He’s already in enough trouble.”

“And he’s going to be in more trouble if he keeps with the path he’s on,” Solana explained. “He’s a bright young man, and a very talented athlete. He can work with the other kids and everyone will benefit. And speaking from one parent to another, isn’t that what we want for our children? To learn from their mistakes?”

He wasn’t listening and Nick was growing impatient as the new inning started and the conversation continued. “Okay, how’s this…since you don’t need the money, Nick…”

“I said I don’t do deals. And I’m here for a ball game…you’re pissing me off.”

The man backed up, mocking fear, but showing real fear when Tony moved in closer…not that he was an intimidating person, but…well, it intimidated him anyway. “Okay, okay…I’ll donate the money to Ben’s family. Just don’t make Steve have to do that. It’ll…”

Nick was still irritated into silence, so Solana took over. This was her strength anyway. Nick felt totally incompetent in her presence with this. Which at the moment was fine. “It’ll what, Mr. Spencer? Make him take responsibility for his actions? Why are you so quick to buy off your son’s responsibility just to save his reputation? Or is it yours you’re worried about?”

“I’m not trying to buy off anything, little lady…and I don’t think I was speaking to you.”

Silence broken. “That’s it…we’re done. You gonna leave on your own, or do you need an escort?” Nick squeezed his water bottle, grateful for something to do with his hands. He so wanted them planted in this man’s face.

“Fine, fine. I’m out.” Mr. Spencer got up and hopped off the bleachers, turning back to add one last dig. “Just know you just gave away the opportunity of a lifetime for Ben and his family. I hope you can sleep at night.”

Nick closed his eyes, trying to calm his breathing down, hoping no one noticed the heated discussion. More internet fodder. It was bad enough everyone kept asking who the kid was that he was hanging around…he didn’t need this. Not now. Not while his career lay in the balance. More importantly, Ben didn’t need it either.

Feeling Solana’s hand come to rest on his thigh, he took hold of it and brought her fingers to his lips and kissed, making gentle motions to help calm him down, remind him what mattered here.

“I’m so sorry, Lani.”

“What are you apologizing for, Nick? He’s the asshole.”

“I know, but…god. What a prick.”

“Yep. You did good, though.”

“What if he tells Ben what he offered? I just turned money away that that family could use.”

“Do you really think Ben wants that man’s money? Especially if it’s to pay off Steve’s role in this mess?”

Nick sighed, not really having an answer to that question. He’d hope the source of the money would matter, but when money was what you wanted and didn’t have, sometimes you’d do anything, compromise any principle to get it.

“Nick, you did the right thing. You know it, and if Ben doesn’t know it now, one day he will. And Steve will too.”

“Steve?”

“You just did him a huge favor.”

“That’s not what I intended…little shit.”

“I know, but you did. With honor.”

With honor. Be good. How come the right thing to do was so often the hardest thing to do?

******~~~~~~******~~~~~~

It was finally the last inning of the game and Ben’s team was first to bat. Unfortunately, they were starting at the bottom of the line-up. The score was in their favor, 3-2. Even if they didn’t score, there was a chance. A slim one. The other team had incredible hitters and Ben’s arm was pooping out.

First two batters did as expected…dinged the ball right to the pitcher and were thrown out at first. But, stars do shine and they were back to the top of the line up. Fortunately, the other team’s pitcher’s arm was pooping out too. The next batter walked to first base.

Ben was up next and he looked back to his small cheering section for a much needed boost of confidence. Getting just that, he stepped up to the plate and eye-balled the pitcher. Ball one. He took a couple of practice swings and stepped up, hoping for a similar, but better aimed pitch. It was just the speed he liked them.

And it was…a solid line drive right through the second baseman into center field. Ben could run like the wind and he beat the fielder’s attempts to catch him at first base. Two men on.

The next batter watched the first strike sail by, but took hold of the second pitch, sending it to third base…who missed the easy play at his own bag by over-throwing it to first. Their first error of the game. And it could cost them just that.

Steve was finally in the position to do the job he was lined up to do. Clean up. Sadly, all he’d been able to muster this morning was making the mess. His morale was shot, his nerves were through the roof and his dad was an obnoxiously loud moron. Two outs, three men on base…it was up to Steve to put them in a comfortable lead. Their best hitter. Surely he could do it.

“Come on Steve…little dinger…nice and easy!” Nick cheered the little cretin on. Why the hell not? He wanted Ben’s team to win and well…this was part of it.

Solana joined him in cheering, leaning over as the crowd noise died down. “You’re too nice.”

“I’m full of shit is what I am. Maybe they’ll hit him in the head and he’ll advance that way.”

Steve swung at the first pitch, which he knew better than to do, and popped it straight up and over to where his father was standing. Foul ball and missed the dad. Damn. It wasn’t lost on him though, his stupidity reigned supreme.

“You swung too late, Steve…come on, man. Pay attention. You got your head up your ass!”

“Okay, now I’m voting for another foul ball…on his head.”

Second pitch was thrown and Steve swatted flies. Strike Two.

“What the hell was that!? Focus, focus…get outta your head!”

Steve’s frustration was mounting and his team continued to cheer him on, Ben and his teammates getting antsy waiting on base. He watched the third pitch sail by for a ball one. Foul tipped the fourth and walked out of the batter’s box to try to get his head together. They needed at least one of these three possible runs. Steve was their star hitter. This should not be so difficult.

Sixth pitch and Steve swung.

And missed. Strike three. No runs. Still 3-2 and the other team was also looking at the top of their line-up. Ben’s arm was dead but the second line pitcher wasn’t strong enough to take it. It was up to him.

Tossing his batting helmet on the ground and grabbing his cap, he took an extra minute and ran over to talk to Nick. “Hey…gimme some water.”

“Where’s yours?” Nick handed Ben his water bottle, shaking his head as he drained it’s last few drops. “How’s your arm, man?”

“I’m tired, but I think I can do it. What was Steve’s dad talkin’ to you about?”

“Would you get out there and play ball? Don’t worry about Steve or his dad.” Nick looked up to see and very dejected Steve getting reamed a new asshole by his father. Perfect way to treat a kid. No wonder he was so rotten.

“He’s an idiot.”

“Yep…but it’s not your concern. Now get out there and give ‘em hell.”

Ben knocked Nick on the thigh with his glove and took off for the pitcher’s mound, looking back one more time for that extra boost.

They start the inning cold with no warm-up pitches, Ben not wanting to waste what was left of his arm on practice. The first batter hit the plate and watched the first perfect pitch sail by. Strike one.

Next pitch was dead on and the batter took it, hitting it straight to second base. Easy play. Easy out. Two more to go.

The next batter wouldn’t go down as quickly and Ben wouldn’t pitch as smoothly either. First two sailed by him too high and inside. But, figuring Ben was tired, he watched the third one go right over the plate. Strike one.

Watching the fourth pitch as well, he got his third ball. Might as well swing at the next one. He popped it to left field and was out. Two down, one to go and the championship would be theirs.

“Come on Red!!! One more out guys…just one more out!!!” Nick and Solana got up and headed down to the fence. Sitting was no longer an option.

Steve had rejoined his team, but sat on the bench pouting. They were about to win the championship and he couldn’t even see past his own personal failures to see the team-wide success. And that was the greatest failure of all.

Third at bat, and he watched the first two pitches sail by. Both balls. Ben worked his arm, and soaked in the cheering crowd. No one cheered for him. Ever. But now they were. Now all eyes were on him and it was for something good. Something positive. Something he had talent in and could be proud of.

Winding up, he threw the third pitch in and watched it sail along the third base line, sighing in relief when it landed foul. Strike One. A low sinking pitch gave him ball three. A wild, un-tethered swing gave him strike two. Dear God.

Full count. Two outs. No one on base. Ben’s heart felt like it was going to pound out of his body. Nick’s heart felt like it was going to pound out of his body. As did Steve’s, the coach’s and every boy on that field. Nick grabbed the rungs of the fence, white knuckles shining, mumbling prayers to an unfamiliar god that this kid be allowed this one blessing. This one victory. This one moment in his life.

Ben looked over to Nick and shocked the older blonde right out of his flip flops. “Thank you.”

He didn’t hear it over the crowd noise, but he saw it on his lips and read it fully in his eyes. He almost forgot to breathe. But then, he snapped out of it, hearing the crowd cheer, seeing the other team pace in a fit of nerves…and he joined in. “Come on, Ben…this is it, Bud! You can do it!”

He nodded to the one person who mattered there, and nodded to his catcher. This batter could hit. This batter was a nervous fit as well. Ben wiped his right hand on his pant leg and turned to start his pitch. Taking a deep breath, he focused on one thing. The catcher’s glove. As the ball left his hand, time seemed to slow and the ball traveled into home plate. The batter stepped back and swung with all of his might.

At the sound of a smack, Ben opened his eyes. The smack of a ball hitting a glove.

Strike three.

Game over.

They’d done it.

Before Ben knew what hit him he was up on his teammates shoulders being carried into the bench. Once on the ground again, he quickly made his way through the throng of sweaty, dusty boys and broke free, wanting to see only one person.

No words were said. No words were needed. Ben looked up into the smiling blue eyes that had been guiding him for the past few months…helping him grow and learn and mature, took one step and leapt into his arms. Neither knew how long they stood there, Ben’s feet dangling at Nick’s calves, his face buried in Nick’s neck. Neither cared.

Nick felt a gentle tapping on his arm and peeked around. It was time for Ben to join his team again on the field and Nick put him down, still saying nothing and watching as he ran out to “congratulate” the other team. His eye caught Mr. Spencer’s and he simply nodded, knowing the man had watched the whole thing. Steve hadn’t even touched his dad yet.

Nick and Solana waited for Ben’s return and sent him off with his team for a congratulatory ice cream. Once they were back at the parking lot, ready to go their separate ways, Solana finally spoke up.

“He won more than that game today, Nick.”

“Yes…I think we both did.”